PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell

ghz in pittsburgh
10-12-2011, 07:49 PM
Listening to Fitz media conference today, he mentioned Perry and still remembered that he's the guy who is "on my corner, giving me the opportunity."

He also mentioned that he saw Perry basically does the same thing on defense as he was with the Bills, though I think the Giants' personnel on D is ten time better than what Bills had then.

I don't know how many Bills are still here when Perry was Bills HC just two years ago. Maybe two hands full?

BertSquirtgum
10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Perry was a good coach.

ServoBillieves
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Still got Wilson, Williams, Kelsay, Scott, McGee from long term.

B-DON
10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I agree. I liked fewell and thought he did a decent job with the **** he was handed

TigerJ
10-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I think he is a good coach. The Tampa 2 is pretty predictable though. Unless he's throwing some wrinkles into it, I'll bet Chan Gailey can scheme to counter it pretty well.

Extremebillsfan247
10-12-2011, 08:59 PM
Listening to Fitz media conference today, he mentioned Perry and still remembered that he's the guy who is "on my corner, giving me the opportunity."

He also mentioned that he saw Perry basically does the same thing on defense as he was with the Bills, though I think the Giants' personnel on D is ten time better than what Bills had then.

I don't know how many Bills are still here when Perry was Bills HC just two years ago. Maybe two hands full? There has been an enormous amount of turnover here in 2 years. Your right all that remains on this team from that time are a couple of hands full. Less than half of that years roster still remains. What is funny, is that there are still players here we figured would be long gone by now, and players who are not here that a lot of us thought still would be. Here is who is still left.

E. Wood
G. Sanborn
B. Scott
L. McKelvin
T. McGee
D. Florence
R. Corner
J. Byrd
C. Kelsay
K. Williams
Sp. Johnson
C. McKintyre
A. Levitre
R. Lindell
B. Moorman
R. Fitzpatrick
F. Jackson
D. Bell
R. Parrish
St. Johnson
G. Wilson

thenry20
10-13-2011, 04:11 AM
Very informative reading. I guess I'm one of the very few who thought Perry actually had a chance for head job here.

better days
10-13-2011, 07:37 AM
I think he is a good coach. The Tampa 2 is pretty predictable though. Unless he's throwing some wrinkles into it, I'll bet Chan Gailey can scheme to counter it pretty well.

I remember a Buc years ago (can't remember which one) said "The league can copy us all they want. Without Sapp, Brooks & Lynch, it won't matter, they won't be nearly as good as us."

RoscoeMagic
10-13-2011, 08:27 AM
I have to believe Fitz will shred Fewell's D. He's very familiar with going up against it in practice. And the Giants are really gashed with injuries up the middle, not to mention no Justin Tuck. We should pound Freddy up the gut, and Fitz will definitely pick his spots well and find the holes in that D.

Plus if Charlie Whitehurst and T. Jackson can hang 4 TDs in the Meadowlands, I like Mr. Fitz's chances.

streetkings01
10-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I'll tell you one thing we all hate about Fewell and so do my Giants fan friends.........he still likes to play his corners 9 yards off their man..........hopefully we throw alot of slants.

psubills62
10-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Perry Fewell was a good coach? I don't think people were saying that back when he was our DC.

Like BB06 said, remember how we always had our CB's playing 10 yards off the receiver? I understand we had poor talent on D while he was here, but the scheme still sucked. It's not like he did anything to account for the poor talent, he just kept trying to force things. Do people remember at the end of games screaming "guard the *&%^ing sideline!" especially during the Dallas MNF game?

I just have a hard time believing people don't recall how our defense played under Fewell. I sure hope BB06 is right, because the short passing game always worked like a charm against Fewell's defenses.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-13-2011, 11:09 AM
I'll tell you one thing we all hate about Fewell and so do my Giants fan friends.........he still likes to play his corners 9 yards off their man..........hopefully we throw alot of slants.

That's a function of respect to WR speed or lack of speed of corners. I doubt this will continue this week.

justasportsfan
10-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Perry Fewell was a good coach? I don't think people were saying that back when he was our DC.

Like BB06 said, remember how we always had our CB's playing 10 yards off the receiver? I understand we had poor talent on D while he was here, but the scheme still sucked. It's not like he did anything to account for the poor talent, he just kept trying to force things. Do people remember at the end of games screaming "guard the *&%^ing sideline!" especially during the Dallas MNF game?

I just have a hard time believing people don't recall how our defense played under Fewell. I sure hope BB06 is right, because the short passing game always worked like a charm against Fewell's defenses.

Fewell was shackled by Dicks philosophy. The D changed for the better when Fewell took over as HC with a line-up that was decimated by injuries.

streetkings01
10-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Fewell was shackled by Dicks philosophy. The D changed for the better when Fewell took over as HC with a line-up that was decimated by injuries.Fewell was apart of both the Rams and Bears staff.......all he knows is the Tampa 2, Jauron had nothing to do with Fewells suckiness.

justasportsfan
10-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Fewell was apart of both the Rams and Bears staff.......all he knows is the Tampa 2, Jauron had nothing to do with Fewells suckiness.

Never said anything about Fewell knowing anything more than a tampa 2 but when he took over, the D was more agressive. He also benched Dicks favored players although it was more on the offensive side. Not saying Feweel is anything great but all I'm saying is that just like every coordinator that coached under Dick, they had to simplify their schemes to "play not to lose" on both sides of the team.

stuckincincy
10-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Not sure, but I head somewhere that NYG's guard Snee is ailing, and another OL - their center? I'd attack that inside early and repeatedly - FB leading Jackson. 3 yard gain, 2 yards, 5 yards - no matter. Sooner or later, they are gonna bring up a safety or lb and open up a flat zone 10 yards out.

Cover 2 - hope that BUF has some institutional knowledge. For reasons inexplicable, CIN attacked the JAX C2 by running up the gut - conventional wisdom.

Up to that game, they had only run 6 middle run plays. Benson et al got stuffed repeatedly. Poor play calling - every team knows that CINs' run plays usually rides LT Whitworth. Yet up the middle they ran. Advantage -JAX coaches.

Go figure. If I owned a team, there would be a big, prominent, brass plaque bolted on the wall where my assistant coaches, OC, DC, meet. It would say:

"DON'T GET CUTE. "

B-DON
10-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Have you seen the giants cornerbacks? They are horrible. You honestly think he'd play studs like rev is or Bailey 9 yds off wr's? Schemes depend on talent too

TigerJ
10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I heard it explained one time that the Tampa 2 is a relatively bland defensive scheme. It's aggressive if you've got the players to do it. The players have to learn their roles well and play with a lot of discipline, but there are not a lot of different things that teams do with it. It is very much dependent on both the talent and discipline of your players. Defensive linemen have to stay in their lanes. Linebackers have to be disciplined about caring for their areas of responsibility, and so do the DBs. It doesn't vary that much from play to play. If your players aren't very good or they don't know the system cold along with their roles in it, the defense can look very bad. I like the change the Buffalo made because it allows for a lot more in the way of variations and tinkering. It seems to me if you know that the defense is going to play pretty much the same way every down, there have to be ways to attack it.

Thurmal
10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
I'll admit it...I wanted Fewell to be named head coach after '09.

Mski
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Perry was a good coach.yeah he even coached the incredibly dubious injury debacle