PDA

View Full Version : Redzone success helping Bills succeed

Skooby
10-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Last time the Bills were this good in the redzone was 1993, we ended up 15th that season:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article591595.ece

zone
10-13-2011, 07:25 AM
We have been putrid in the redzone the last several years the turn around is remarkable.

Skooby
10-13-2011, 07:37 AM
We have been putrid in the redzone the last several years the turn around is remarkable.

This might be one of the biggest reasons we don't slip like the 2008 season, we actually score points when we get our chance (We're #1 at it).

better days
10-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Redzone success & being on the plus side of turnovers are the reasons the Bills are winning.

RedEyE
10-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Three Biggest Reasons for this IMO:
1) Chandler: Already 4 TDs on the season. Its been a long time coming for a decent receiveing TE to become a Redzone threat.
2) Fred Jackson: I will be seriously pissed if the Bills do not pay this guy. He is "money" every time he touches the ball.
3t) Chan Gailey play calling & Brad Smith and the Wildcat: kind of going hand-in-hand. Can't credit Smith without first crediting Gailey. Smith adds an extra dimension in the Bills short game - especially in "x" and goal situations.

streetkings01
10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
God I remember the years under Jauron where we knew a drive would at best end in a FG. I believe we've been in the redzone 20 times and came away with 15 tds and 5 FGs.

RoscoeMagic
10-13-2011, 08:19 AM
And they said Jackson didn't know how to find the endzone :laughing:

Lexwhat
10-13-2011, 08:24 AM
We could probably add another TD to that total (instead of a FG) based on the end of the NE game.

madness
10-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Yet some still question Gailey's playcalling. :shakeno:

RoscoeMagic
10-13-2011, 08:47 AM

It's absurd.

Living in the NYC area, I hear on talk radio all the time Jets fans questioning Brian Schottenheimer's (sp?) playcalling nonstop. They give Sanchez and Ryan the pass and throw the blame on their OC hard.

Same with the Giants. Gilbride's been catching a lot of flack for his lack of running the football. And even with all of Eli's picks, they like making excuses for him and bashing the OC.

Both are warranted though. Watching their teams offenses looks so plain and vanilla compared to the Bills, even though we supposedly have the "inferior" talent.

The Eagles fans have always given Reid a lot of crap for his playcalling over the years too even though he doesn't do it anymore.

Every time I hear another team complain about their playcalling, I smile. I smile because we are so fortunate to have Gailey dialing up the plays. There's a reason the players call him MEGAMIND.

RedEyE
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I love Gailey's offense but was curious with some of the play calls in the Cincy game. I really do not want to ever see Spiller used in short gain situations unless he can break the habit of his side-to-side dance moves. Fred is much more effective in these types of situations.

But there in lies the issue. Gailey can call damn good plays all he wants, if the players fail to execute accordingly, Gailey gets criticized quite heavily. As fans, it is sometimes difficult to comprehend the difference.

Skooby
10-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I love Gailey's offense but was curious with some of the play calls in the Cincy game. I really do not want to ever see Spiller used in short gain situations unless he can break the habit of his side-to-side dance moves. Fred is much more effective in these types of situations.

But there in lies the issue. Gailey can call damn good plays all he wants, if the players fail to execute accordingly, Gailey gets criticized quite heavily. As fans, it is sometimes difficult to comprehend the difference.

Our execution in prime areas (red zone) & even our ability to move away from our goal line area have been amazing. We have had only one fumble that wasn't lost all season, that's very disciplined football. I can't remember ever not seeing Thurman Thomas or someone fumble, this is super strong play & shows how much determination the players have.