PDA

View Full Version : GQ Interview With Stevie

Chewytie
10-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Still super happy he's on this team! Just enough swagger to have personality but not too much to be freaking annoying

We're five weeks into the 2011 season and, believe it or not, the Buffalo Bills are atop the AFC East standings with a 4-1 record. Absent from the playoffs since 1999, the Bills—with 28 of the 53 men on the active roster either 5th, 6th, 7th rounders or undrafted players—are the Moneyball A's of the NFL. They're also pretty damn fun to watch. We spoke to star wide receiver Steve Johnson, a 7th round 2008 pick out of Kentucky, about the bonding powers of an afternoon at Dave & Buster's, his Harvard-educated quarterback, and the nightlife in Western New York.
Continue. (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201110/steve-johnson-buffalo-bills-nfl-football?mbid=social_mobile_tweet)

psubills62
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I knew we had a lot of low round draft choices, but didn't realize it was that many. If only we could hit on the first and second rounders consistently...

Chewytie
10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I would love to see how many of those the current staff brought on. If Nix/Chan are really good at bringing in top-tier overlooked talent like this we may be in the works to do big things for a while.

On the other side though. It could be a system thing. (Think running backs in Denver under Shannahan.) Which is better in some respects.

psubills62
10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Good interview. I just had to sigh when this came up:

GQ: Twenty-two years later, you guys play the Giants this weekend in an unofficial "rematch" of Super Bowl XXV. Do the ghosts of Scott Norwood and "Wide Right" still haunt this franchise?

Steve Johnson: I thought it was "Wide Left." I don't even know about that, man. That Super Bowl was a long time ago.

Oaf
10-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Ryan invited a bunch of us out to his place in the mountains in Arizona to just hang out. We were all riding the trucks up in the mountains and Freddy [Jackson] ended up popping a tire and we flipped.

:eek:

RoscoeMagic
10-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Stevie thought it was wide left :laughing:

The last buffalo fan
10-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Stevie thought it was wide left :laughing:

That's why he is my guy, and that's why this mindset will change our losing culture. I love it. :gobills:

SABuffalo786
10-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Goon squad = awesome.

SABuffalo786
10-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Good interview. I just had to sigh when this came up:

Stevie's attitude about that is both refreshing and depressing - refreshing because this team isn't shackled to the past and depressing because it's clear how LONG ago that game was.

Damn.

BTW, interviewer kind of sounds like a douche....trying to prod him into a "Buffalo sucks!" response. Probably a twatty Giants fan with GQ being in NYC.

imbondz
10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
oh my.... "I thought it was "Wide Left." that made me LOL. I love it!!!!!!! great interview.

baalworship
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Even before the year started it was pretty much agreed by people that this was the easiest team to root for that I can remember. They scrap, play hard, and are entertaining. The players and their stories perfectly fit Buffalo and how we are treated by people who have never been here.

thenry20
10-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Stevie J has been my fave player since the season ended last year. No fear.

Ingtar33
10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I knew we had a lot of low round draft choices, but didn't realize it was that many. If only we could hit on the first and second rounders consistently...

Low rounders are usually mostly the result of your scouting department... high rounders usually are the coaches, GMs and owner's work.

psubills62
10-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Low rounders are usually mostly the result of your scouting department... high rounders usually are the coaches, GMs and owner's work.
That's what it always seems like. Too bad our coaches, GM's and owners didn't seem to listen to the scouting dept in the early rounds too.

Cntrygal
10-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Very good interview!