The Bills need to sign three key players during this season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

The Bills need to sign three key players during this season.

I usually don't make threads but I have been thinking about this a lot lately. There are three key guys that I feel need to be signed during the current year. Fitz, Stevie and Freddie. I am just curious as to what the other zoners think are fair deals for both the players and the team. I am not going to throw numbers out because I don't have the slightest clue. What say you?
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

Re: The Bills need to sign three key players during this season.

The only person or deal that I feel comfortable throwing a number out there would be Freddie's. I think he should be signed up until 2015 with a front loaded contract ending with him making 3 million in 2015. Kind of like the Lee Evans deal but with less money.

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
      • Aug 2008

I'm not sure if it matters during the season or not. But definitely before these three hit free agency, they need new deals. If they keep up this high level of play of course.

I can't believe that Nix is stupid enough to let them walk. We have the money.
      Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

From what I gather in the Spiller thread, I don't see why some people would even want Freddie extended. Apparently in like 2 years he's just gonna fall apart.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
          • May 2009

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
          From what I gather in the Spiller thread, I don't see why some people would even want Freddie extended. Apparently in like 2 years he's just gonna fall apart.
          The people saying that are dumb. Not all running backs are shot at 32.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

I hope all 3 are resigned for sure

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
              And apparently you have reading comprehension issues. I don't think anyone said, or even implied such things. You keep referring to these imaginary Freddy "doubters." Where are these people?
              Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• JoeMama
                Emotion Sickness
                • Oct 2002

Think back to preseason 2009. Who'da thunk that these guys would be our triplets and automatic re-signs come 2012?

It's remarkable to think how far these guys have come.
                Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                  • Feb 2005

What drives contract numbers? The Market...

I think Fitz has the least chance of the 3 to run to another team. I don't care if we extend him after the season is over (in fact, I prefer it). Kolb and Cassel each got in the $10-$11 million a year range before they even played a down with their new teams. Fitz is worth more that that. 5 years, $60 million ($12 million average), with $30 million guaranteed.

Fred Jackson obviously can't leave, since he is under contract beyond this season (Buddy Nix has leverage). But he could hold out next off-season. I would like to extend him first since he is severely underpaid and IMHO, we should make him happy. DeAngelo Williams received a 5 year deal worth $43 million, with $21 million guaranteed. Matt Forte (as similar to Fred Jackson as any RB in this league) will probably receive something similar. I would say 4 years for $32 million, with similar guaranteed money.

Extending Stevie Johnson now (concurrently with Fred) would be a wise move. He would receive enticing offers in Free Agency.

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

Ok $60m to Fitz is insane.

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

5 years, $60 million ($12 million average), with $30 million guaranteed.

Unless he takes us to the SB and becomes the MVP, there is no way anyone gives him that kind of contract.
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Lexwhat
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                        Ok $60m to Fitz is insane.
                        You tell me what makes sense then?

This is what legit starting Quarterbacks go for. Look around the league. If Vick and Roethlisberger got $100 million each, why can't Fitz get $60 million?

Just cuz we've had a team full of losers the past decade, where barely anyone deserved big money, it doesn't mean anyone should be shell-shocked when the Bills finally hand out a big contract.

Kolb and Cassel each got $60+ million. Sounds like a good benchmark to me. You got a better benchmark?

(FYI, I clearly said to wait until the end of the season for Fitz. If he crashes and burns then he will receive less money).

Comment

• Lexwhat
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Luisito23
                          Unless he takes us to the SB and becomes the MVP, there is no way anyone gives him that kind of contract.
                          I strongly disagree. See my post above. Like it or not, that's the market for QBs.

Instead of just picking an arbitrary contract number that sounds nice, why don't you give me a number and tell me WHY you think it's more reasonable.

Compare it to other QBs in the league who have signed a contract recently. You might be surprised.

EDIT: You said "no way anyone gives him that kind of contract." Well, look at Kolb and Cassel. They were unproven and inexperienced. They each got over $60 million.
                          Last edited by Lexwhat; 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

Fitz with a year similar to last year is gonna take at least 12 per.

Stevie with another close to last is gonna take at least 8 per.

Freddie, well he's gonna take about 7 per.

You're looking at realistically 5 years 60 million for Fitz, 6 years 50 million for Stevie and 4 years 30 million for Freddie.

Comment

• BillsOverDolphins
                              chop chop
                              • Jun 2003

The longer the Bills FO waits to act, the more expensive these guys become.
                              Oh no!...We suck again!

Comment

Working...
                              X