PDA

View Full Version : The Bills need to sign three key players during this season.

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2011, 03:01 PM
I usually don't make threads but I have been thinking about this a lot lately. There are three key guys that I feel need to be signed during the current year. Fitz, Stevie and Freddie. I am just curious as to what the other zoners think are fair deals for both the players and the team. I am not going to throw numbers out because I don't have the slightest clue. What say you?

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2011, 03:09 PM
The only person or deal that I feel comfortable throwing a number out there would be Freddie's. I think he should be signed up until 2015 with a front loaded contract ending with him making 3 million in 2015. Kind of like the Lee Evans deal but with less money.

RoscoeMagic
10-15-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure if it matters during the season or not. But definitely before these three hit free agency, they need new deals. If they keep up this high level of play of course.

I can't believe that Nix is stupid enough to let them walk. We have the money.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2011, 03:20 PM
From what I gather in the Spiller thread, I don't see why some people would even want Freddie extended. Apparently in like 2 years he's just gonna fall apart.

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2011, 03:26 PM
From what I gather in the Spiller thread, I don't see why some people would even want Freddie extended. Apparently in like 2 years he's just gonna fall apart.

The people saying that are dumb. Not all running backs are shot at 32.

SquishDaFish
10-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I hope all 3 are resigned for sure

RoscoeMagic
10-15-2011, 03:33 PM

And apparently you have reading comprehension issues. I don't think anyone said, or even implied such things. You keep referring to these imaginary Freddy "doubters." Where are these people?

JoeMama
10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Think back to preseason 2009. Who'da thunk that these guys would be our triplets and automatic re-signs come 2012?

It's remarkable to think how far these guys have come.

Lexwhat
10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
What drives contract numbers? The Market...

I think Fitz has the least chance of the 3 to run to another team. I don't care if we extend him after the season is over (in fact, I prefer it). Kolb and Cassel each got in the $10-$11 million a year range before they even played a down with their new teams. Fitz is worth more that that. 5 years, $60 million ($12 million average), with $30 million guaranteed.

Fred Jackson obviously can't leave, since he is under contract beyond this season (Buddy Nix has leverage). But he could hold out next off-season. I would like to extend him first since he is severely underpaid and IMHO, we should make him happy. DeAngelo Williams received a 5 year deal worth $43 million, with $21 million guaranteed. Matt Forte (as similar to Fred Jackson as any RB in this league) will probably receive something similar. I would say 4 years for $32 million, with similar guaranteed money.

Extending Stevie Johnson now (concurrently with Fred) would be a wise move. He would receive enticing offers in Free Agency.

jamze132
10-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok $60m to Fitz is insane.

Luisito23
10-15-2011, 03:48 PM
5 years, $60 million ($12 million average), with $30 million guaranteed.

Unless he takes us to the SB and becomes the MVP, there is no way anyone gives him that kind of contract.

Lexwhat
10-15-2011, 03:54 PM
Ok $60m to Fitz is insane.

You tell me what makes sense then?

This is what legit starting Quarterbacks go for. Look around the league. If Vick and Roethlisberger got $100 million each, why can't Fitz get $60 million?

Just cuz we've had a team full of losers the past decade, where barely anyone deserved big money, it doesn't mean anyone should be shell-shocked when the Bills finally hand out a big contract.

Kolb and Cassel each got $60+ million. Sounds like a good benchmark to me. You got a better benchmark?

(FYI, I clearly said to wait until the end of the season for Fitz. If he crashes and burns then he will receive less money).

Lexwhat
10-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Unless he takes us to the SB and becomes the MVP, there is no way anyone gives him that kind of contract.

I strongly disagree. See my post above. Like it or not, that's the market for QBs.

Instead of just picking an arbitrary contract number that sounds nice, why don't you give me a number and tell me WHY you think it's more reasonable.

Compare it to other QBs in the league who have signed a contract recently. You might be surprised.

EDIT: You said "no way anyone gives him that kind of contract." Well, look at Kolb and Cassel. They were unproven and inexperienced. They each got over $60 million.

Mr. Pink
10-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Fitz with a year similar to last year is gonna take at least 12 per.

Stevie with another close to last is gonna take at least 8 per.

Freddie, well he's gonna take about 7 per.

You're looking at realistically 5 years 60 million for Fitz, 6 years 50 million for Stevie and 4 years 30 million for Freddie.

BillsOverDolphins
10-15-2011, 05:15 PM
The longer the Bills FO waits to act, the more expensive these guys become.

Yasgur's Farm
10-15-2011, 05:25 PM

You're looking at realistically 5 years 60 million for Fitz, 6 years 50 million for Stevie and 4 years 30 million for Freddie.That's about $28M per year for those 3 core players... That should leave enough through the next 4 years to sign some of our other players who prove themselves core (Woods, Levitre, Dareus, Bell, Spiller, etc would be those I'd be most hopefull of at this point).

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2011, 05:26 PM
The longer the Bills FO waits to act, the more expensive these guys become.
I agree, that's why I said to sign them before the end of the season but I can also see the point that what if they **** the bed? then we are stuck with them. I don't see it happening but there's always the what if. The what if includes mainly Fitz in my opinion.

BillsOverDolphins
10-15-2011, 05:36 PM
In order of signing importance:

1. Stevie
2. Fitz
3. Freddie

BertSquirtgum
10-15-2011, 05:39 PM
You guys remember who brought in Fitzy? Dick ****ing Jauron. I'm not declaring Fitz our savior but he could be. At least Mauron may have did the Bills one good thing.

TrEd FTW
10-15-2011, 06:00 PM

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html

RoscoeMagic
10-15-2011, 06:45 PM
You guys remember who brought in Fitzy? Dick ****ing Jauron. I'm not declaring Fitz our savior but he could be. At least Mauron may have did the Bills one good thing.

All three of these guys were brought in by the Jauron regime.

RoscoeMagic
10-15-2011, 06:50 PM
You're looking at realistically 5 years 60 million for Fitz, 6 years 50 million for Stevie and 4 years 30 million for Freddie.

I agree with that.

If we extend Freddy, and we should, he'll be extended til at least 2017.

Change your mind? :beers:

Mr. Pink
10-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I agree with that.

Change your mind? :beers:

It's gonna take a 4-5 year extension on him. He's signed through 12 now. If he resigns he's gonna be here til 16 or 17.

JoeMama
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
You tell me what makes sense then?

This is what legit starting Quarterbacks go for. Look around the league. If Vick and Roethlisberger got $100 million each, why can't Fitz get $60 million?

Just cuz we've had a team full of losers the past decade, where barely anyone deserved big money, it doesn't mean anyone should be shell-shocked when the Bills finally hand out a big contract.

Kolb and Cassel each got $60+ million. Sounds like a good benchmark to me. You got a better benchmark?

(FYI, I clearly said to wait until the end of the season for Fitz. If he crashes and burns then he will receive less money).

60 million wouldn't shock me.

After David Garrad had his first winning season as a starter, they threw 60 million at him too.

It's the going rate if you get a winning season out of a guy.

YardRat
10-15-2011, 08:03 PM

I think Fitz could be had for 10mil per, but on the other hand wouldn't be surprised to see as high as 14. 8 sounds about right market-wise for Stevie. I also think Freddie could come in around 5 or 6per, if the guaranteed is a significant percentage.

Buddo
10-16-2011, 05:39 AM
I think Fitz could be had for 10mil per, but on the other hand wouldn't be surprised to see as high as 14. 8 sounds about right market-wise for Stevie. I also think Freddie could come in around 5 or 6per, if the guaranteed is a significant percentage.

I think those numbers sound very much in the ball park tbh.
Fitz getting around $12 million per, plus some incentives, would seem to be a decent sort of figure.
Stevie at around 8 million per, also sounds around the going rate for a good WR.
Freddie deserves $5 million per, but I'd be very surprised if his deal wasn't just a re-do of his current one, with a couple of extra years added, more money per year, and either a signing bonus, or a raise in the guaranteed amount. My guess would be, throw the deal away he's got, sign him for 3 years, $15 million, with $10 guaranteed - although it could be juggled around a bit depending on how the team want to manage the money. Perhaps, $15 million total, with 5 as a signing bonus, with the other 10 spread over the 3 years, with 5 of that guaranteed. To me, that would be a fair deal, and what Fred deserves.

I think it's rather hard to gauge the worth of all but the 'top' echelon of QBs atm. There are a lot of guys being what I consider to be overpaid, without the performance to back it up. Cassel springs to mind, but I would also say that he has shown he can start in this league. Kolb would be another of that ilk.
With Gailey, I think Fitz matches up pretty good with those guys, and I'm not someone who has been, or indeed is, fully sold on him yet as an absolute long-term starter for us. I'm becoming more of a believer, by the game, and that's in large part due to his obvious understanding of what is going on around him - imho, it makes a huge difference in his performance.

I'd also wonder if how much guys think Fitz is worth, is as much a function of not actually having given a QB another deal, in years, and as such, we tend not to be as up to date with what the 'market' is paying.

Providing there is a continuing dialogue, then I'm not too worried if it takes until the end of the year, to get these deals done, as it will solidify what the guys will be asking, or deserve.

RoscoeMagic
10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
It's gonna take a 4-5 year extension on him. He's signed through 12 now. If he resigns he's gonna be here til 16 or 17.

So it goes from "at least 2017" to "realistically 2016"? I understand now...............

Mr. Pink
10-16-2011, 11:22 AM
So it goes from "at least 2017" to "realistically 2016"? I understand now...............

What's the difference between a 35 and a 36 year old RB?

You're of the opinion he's gonna be shot in like 2 years anyways.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm going back on my original post. I would wait til after the season to sign Fitz. See what he has for a full year of starting. The other two guys need to be locked up ASAP.

psubills62
10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't think Fitz's price is going up. Stevie's price...isn't going up. Jackson's is.

RoscoeMagic
10-16-2011, 03:39 PM
What's the difference between a 35 and a 36 year old RB?

You're of the opinion he's gonna be shot in like 2 years anyways.

Please find the post where I said that.

Thanks. I'll be waiting. A while.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Sign freddie asap....

Michael82
10-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Sign Freddie now! Give Stevie a new contract too.

Fitzpatrick, I would wait and see what he can do with the whole season. Bad Fitzy scares the **** out of me still.

psubills62
10-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Seriously. Do we need these posts every week? We get it. And no, Nix doesn't read these boards so please, just give it a rest. We all know these guys need to be signed.