PDA

View Full Version : Two Trade Options Not Yet Discussed

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 11:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7110891/denver-broncos-gauging-interest-eddie-royal-sources-say

Brandon Lloyd, who led the NFL in receiving yards last season, is not the only Denver Broncos wide receiver who's on the trade block.

Eddie Royal also is, and he is generating as much, if not more, interest around the league than Lloyd, league sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Other names being kicked around the league as potential trade candidates as Tuesday's trade deadline approaches are former Indianapolis Colts first-round pick Jerry Hughes

Hughes has great speed off the edge, he's similar size to Moats but more athletic. Royal gives us that speed to take the top off the coverage we currently lack.

Skooby
10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
So we are going to pilfer the Colts for all their good players, LOL ?? Who do you want us to get out of that group?

YardRat
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Pretty good with the LBers we have right now...let them play and develop.

WR's are notorious for changing teams and dropping production...even if we did snag Royal, I wouldn't expect too much out of him until next season, when he might replace Easley or Parrish on the roster.

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 11:47 AM

WR's are notorious for changing teams and dropping production...even if we did snag Royal, I wouldn't expect too much out of him until next season, when he might replace Easley or Parrish on the roster.

What about these LB's make you not want to try and improve them?

psubills62
10-16-2011, 11:52 AM
For those wondering about contract situations:

Royal has a $555K salary this year and becomes a free agent in 2012.

Hughes is signed through 2014 with yearly salaries of 405K, 635K, 870K, 1.095m per year in order from 2011-2014.

YardRat
10-16-2011, 11:54 AM
What about these LB's make you not want to try and improve them?

They will improve with playing time, (and they're really not too shabby right now) which they won't get if we keep bringing shiny new toys into the fold.

If you sign another LBer right now, you might as well just tell Merriman or Kelsay they won't be around next season (which I might be OK with, actually).

LBer is the last position, maybe along with defensive line, that we need to spend a draft pick on to attempt to strengthen. CB or oline, maybe even WR, but not LBer. Would be wasting a resource, IMO.

clumping platelets
10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Hughes is signed through 2014 with yearly salaries of 405K, 635K, 870K, 1.095m per year in order from 2011-2014.

He likely has escalators as well

Ed
10-16-2011, 12:39 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7110891/denver-broncos-gauging-interest-eddie-royal-sources-say

Hughes has great speed off the edge, he's similar size to Moats but more athletic. Royal gives us that speed to take the top off the coverage we currently lack.
What do you think it would take to land Jerry Hughes? I remember before the draft a couple years ago, Buddy Nix talked specifically about Hughes and seemed to love him.

Ginger Vitis
10-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Why are the Colts looking to move Jerry Hughes?

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 01:37 PM
What do you think it would take to land Jerry Hughes? I remember before the draft a couple years ago, Buddy Nix talked specifically about Hughes and seemed to love him.

Probably mid round pick (3rd would be my guess) he isn't seeing much time.

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Why are the Colts looking to move Jerry Hughes?

No idea.

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 01:40 PM
They will improve with playing time, (and they're really not too shabby right now) which they won't get if we keep bringing shiny new toys into the fold.

If you sign another LBer right now, you might as well just tell Merriman or Kelsay they won't be around next season (which I might be OK with, actually).

LBer is the last position, maybe along with defensive line, that we need to spend a draft pick on to attempt to strengthen. CB or oline, maybe even WR, but not LBer. Would be wasting a resource, IMO.

1 sack thus far combined from all LB, and while they got decent pressure last week nothing to me has indicated that they aren't too shabby. OLB are struggling to shed blocks and get to the QB, ILB are solid but very old.

Hughes could play inside or out and would be our most athletic and explosive athlete off the edge.

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2011, 02:10 PM

trade for both of them.

Novacane
10-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Just fire Edwards. That will improve the defense more than the available players

Ed
10-16-2011, 02:19 PM
We have two 4th round picks. I'd offer one for each player.

jamze132
10-16-2011, 03:40 PM
I think we need a CB more than anything.

methos4ever
10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
I'd definitely go after Hughes and think if true they might because he's already under contract and would be an ideal 3-4 OLB. And I don't care who the DC is, generating pressure right now would be even tougher on days when Drayton reverts to his Jax form instead of his SD/Most of Buf form.

YardRat
10-16-2011, 04:55 PM
1 sack thus far combined from all LB, and while they got decent pressure last week nothing to me has indicated that they aren't too shabby. OLB are struggling to shed blocks and get to the QB, ILB are solid but very old.

Hughes could play inside or out and would be our most athletic and explosive athlete off the edge.

If he is that good, he shouldn't be copping a squat on Indy's depth chart behind the likes of the scrubs the Colts are putting out on the field.

No thanks. We've got enough youth and talent at LBer to develop, and will probably have a shot at a better LB in the draft with the pick we'd have to give up for him.

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 05:25 PM
If he is that good, he shouldn't be copping a squat on Indy's depth chart behind the likes of the scrubs the Colts are putting out on the field.

No thanks. We've got enough youth and talent at LBer to develop, and will probably have a shot at a better LB in the draft with the pick we'd have to give up for him.

That doesn't make any sense, how many times to players have to go from one team where they under preformed to another where they blow up before people stop with the ridiculous line of logic used in the quoted.

How much do you know about the Indy depth situation in all honesty? I know very little which is why I said above, that I'm not sure why they are moving him. However you are quick to label him as a scrub or as playing behind them. Never mind that he plays the same position in a Cover 2 scheme at Freeney and he is not suited for the other side at all.

Point is we have a player we could grab available who we know offers us a skill set we don't have. To just write it off so cavalier when we clearly have massive issues generating pressure seems quite odd.

YardRat
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
That doesn't make any sense, how many times to players have to go from one team where they under preformed to another where they blow up before people stop with the ridiculous line of logic used in the quoted.

That happens a lot less than a guy moving to another team and staying a scrub, or performing worse. I would most certainly bet against Hughes 'blowing up' anywhere.

How much do you know about the Indy depth situation in all honesty? I know very little which is why I said above, that I'm not sure why they are moving him. However you are quick to label him as a scrub or as playing behind them. Never mind that he plays the same position in a Cover 2 scheme at Freeney and he is not suited for the other side at all.

Horse****. If the guy was a football player, he'd have a spot on the field, not on the bench.

Point is we have a player we could grab available who we know offers us a skill set we don't have. To just write it off so cavalier when we clearly have massive issues generating pressure seems quite odd.

Blah to 'skill set', and 'measurables', yada yada. We already have young players with 'skills' at LB, we need a coordinator to put them in a position to take advantage of those skills. It's that simple.

Saratoga Slim
10-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Bailey would know how to use Eddie Royal. Would be a nice upgrade to Roscoe.

Ickybaluky
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Hughes has been terrible in the NFL. He has had little to no impact for the Colts since being drafted, and while it is still too early to give up on him, the idea of trading any real value for him is laughable. Hughes has shown near-zero ability to play in the NFL, didn't you guys just go through that with Maybin?

The biggest indictment for Hughes is that he isn't a good ST-player. Normally, guys like him make an impact on ST to earn their way onto the field. He has been a poor ST guy, which is a huge read flag.

Royal is a good inside WR, but he has had trouble staying healthy and you guys are loaded with slot guys. He hasn't shown ability to play on the outside like he has in the slot. Pretty good fit for your offense, but does that mean Nelson plays outside all the time? I like Nelson in the slot.

Lloyd is a good outside WR. I realize he is 30 and was a late bloomer, but he can separate, run good routes and has great hands.

cookie G
10-16-2011, 10:03 PM

He's third on the Indy depth chart behind Tyler Brayton.

It isn't good when your GM comes out a only year after the draft and admits he should have taken someone else.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/12/6/1860430/bill-polian-admits-drafting-jerry-hughes-over-rodger-saffold-was-a

He was a healthy scratch again today. Something's wrong.

You could easily be giving up a third round pick for a Derrick Harvey, Vernon Gholston, or Aaron Maybin.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 07:42 AM
He's third on the Indy depth chart behind Tyler Brayton.

It isn't good when your GM comes out a only year after the draft and admits he should have taken someone else.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/12/6/1860430/bill-polian-admits-drafting-jerry-hughes-over-rodger-saffold-was-a

He was a healthy scratch again today. Something's wrong.

You could easily be giving up a third round pick for a Derrick Harvey, Vernon Gholston, or Aaron Maybin.

Yes you could but Hughes actually has done more in less time than all three of those players combined I believe. We're talking about a player in the 2nd year of his career that we know has outstanding athleticism. He was never a fit in IND and that selection was one of Polian's poorer ones in what have been a few bad drafts for him.

Like I said Im just throwing the idea out there because that's how bad our pass rush is right now. 1 sack from all the LB's combined (2 if you count Scott) in a 34 defense where are LBs are supposed to be applying pressure.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Blah to 'skill set', and 'measurables', yada yada. We already have young players with 'skills' at LB, we need a coordinator to put them in a position to take advantage of those skills. It's that simple.
Who are you referring to? Moats a guy who the staff wants at ILB but refuses to commit him to OLB and even then he's been more hype than anything else. Batten? A guy who was an average athlete coming out, got injured for all of last year and doesn't even look like the same player that he was at South Dakota State?

Who are we supposed to be waiting on? Neither of those guys are guys I want as future starters for the time being. They are decent rotational pass rushers at best.

ddaryl
10-17-2011, 08:06 AM
there will be no trades by the Bills before the deadline

that is all....

Ickybaluky
10-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Yes you could but Hughes actually has done more in less time than all three of those players combined I believe. We're talking about a player in the 2nd year of his career that we know has outstanding athleticism. He was never a fit in IND and that selection was one of Polian's poorer ones in what have been a few bad drafts for him.

You can talk about athleticism all you want, but the NFL is full of great athletes. It isn't about athleticism as much as ability to play.

Not being a good ST player is a big indictment of Hughes, as it was with Maybin. Given his athletic prowess, you would think he would be dominant there, but he has been poor. That has made it difficult for Indy to even activate him on gameday. You can't carry backup players who suck on ST, it puts too much strain on your roster. You are under-estimating how roster management effects taking risks like that.

I'll agree it is too early to give up on Hughes, and even that he may be a better fit in another scheme. However, what do you give up for him? His lack of ST ability means you could hurt your roster unless the guy is starting and playing a lot. Isn't it a gamble to say he can do that? What do you give up for a guy like that?

This past week, Belichick was asked about the thing BenJarvus Green-Ellis improved the most as a pro, and he answered ST. He said Green-Ellis played well enough to make the team as an undrafted rookie, but they had to cut him because he wasn't good on ST. They signed him to the PS, and he improved enough to make the team the following year because he could contribute on ST. Being good enough on ST got him activated on game day, and eventually he got a shot to run the ball.

Look at the current Bills roster. Look at guys like Fred Jackson, Steve Johnson and George Wilson. All those guys had to work and grind their way to an opportunity, but they never would have received that opportunity unless they contributed well enough on ST to be active on gameday.

Hughes hasn't done that, and that is a huge red flag on him, as it was on Maybin. It makes you wonder how bad the guy wants it, and how bad he will work for it. You are going to give up a draft pick for that? I wouldn't.

stuckincincy
10-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Not being a good ST player is a big indictment of Hughes, as it was with Maybin. Given his athletic prowess, you would think he would be dominant there, but he has been poor. That has made it difficult for Indy to even activate him on gameday. You can't carry backup players who suck on ST, it puts too much strain on your roster. You are under-estimating how roster management effects taking risks like that.

Hughes was inactive @CIN yesterday.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/55242/CIN_Gamebook.pdf

better days
10-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Well, the trade deadline is Tuesday @ 4 PM. I doubt the Bills make any trades at least I hope not.

I am very happy with the way the Bills have been drafting with Nix in charge & picks are like gold.

cookie G
10-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Like I said Im just throwing the idea out there because that's how bad our pass rush is right now. 1 sack from all the LB's combined (2 if you count Scott) in a 34 defense where are LBs are supposed to be applying pressure.

That's not saying much. he has one career sack.

I'd give a 2nd for a guy like Osi before I'd give a 3rd for Hughes.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Hughes would make a lot of sense seeing he's built for rushing the qb standing up. I would do that trade.

k-oneputt
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Hughes was another of DB's pet projects coming out in that draft, thus the want to trade for him.
No thanks, we got rid of Maybin/Hughes.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Hughes was another of DB's pet projects coming out in that draft, thus the want to trade for him.
No thanks, we got rid of Maybin/Hughes.

...he was?

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
You can talk about athleticism all you want, but the NFL is full of great athletes. It isn't about athleticism as much as ability to play.

I'll agree it is too early to give up on Hughes, and even that he may be a better fit in another scheme. However, what do you give up for him? His lack of ST ability means you could hurt your roster unless the guy is starting and playing a lot. Isn't it a gamble to say he can do that? What do you give up for a guy like that?

This past week, Belichick was asked about the thing BenJarvus Green-Ellis improved the most as a pro, and he answered ST. He said Green-Ellis played well enough to make the team as an undrafted rookie, but they had to cut him because he wasn't good on ST. They signed him to the PS, and he improved enough to make the team the following year because he could contribute on ST. Being good enough on ST got him activated on game day, and eventually he got a shot to run the ball.

Look at the current Bills roster. Look at guys like Fred Jackson, Steve Johnson and George Wilson. All those guys had to work and grind their way to an opportunity, but they never would have received that opportunity unless they contributed well enough on ST to be active on gameday.

Hughes hasn't done that, and that is a huge red flag on him, as it was on Maybin. It makes you wonder how bad the guy wants it, and how bad he will work for it. You are going to give up a draft pick for that? I wouldn't.

Fair enough however the guys you mention are all low round to FA's not 1st Round picks. Its not often those guys have to work their way up through ST, and I think comparing Maybin a one year player to Hughes is a little unfair.

I havent watched Hughes in the pro, Im basing the idea off what he was able to do in college and how it was projected forward. I never thought he was a good fit in a 43 because he's just not big enough. In a 34 who knows things could change.

The ST point is valid but its certainly not going to stop me from taking a player if I think he can add something on the field in 1st-3rd down.

Mahdi
10-17-2011, 11:57 AM

A good edge rusher will flash his potential early in his career even without much experience.

Moats has not flashed enough and this is his second season. Batten has not been anywhere near the QB and Merriman is playing solid yet vanilla football right now.

We have no edge rushers on this roster to develop. Jerry Hughes might be a better fit as a 3-4 rusher than a 4-3 DE and for the right price I would take him.

Ickybaluky
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I havent watched Hughes in the pro,

Nobody has, because he can't get on the field.

I never thought he was a good fit in a 43 because he's just not big enough. In a 34 who knows things could change.

What kind of pick to you surrender for "who knows". Seems to me if you deal for a player and surrender a pick there should be some certainty.

cookie G
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
A good edge rusher will flash his potential early in his career even without much experience.

Moats has not flashed enough and this is his second season. Batten has not been anywhere near the QB and Merriman is playing solid yet vanilla football right now.

We have no edge rushers on this roster to develop. Jerry Hughes might be a better fit as a 3-4 rusher than a 4-3 DE and for the right price I would take him.

Isn't this a bit contradictory? You're saying that a good edge rusher shows flashes early, but then talking about picking up a guy who hasn't shown any flashes?

I guess it depends what you mean by the right price.

A late round pick or a waiver pick up maybe. Maybe even the 4th round pick received for Evans.

Mahdi
10-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Isn't this a bit contradictory? You're saying that a good edge rusher shows flashes early, but then talking about picking up a guy who hasn't shown any flashes?

I guess it depends what you mean by the right price.

A late round pick or a waiver pick up maybe. Maybe even the 4th round pick received for Evans.
Jerry is behind two HoF DEs right now which makes it hard for him to touch the field on passing downs considering Mathis and Freeney will never take a passing down snap off.

He hasn't played much and he has a sack this year, and from what I have seen from him (not much) he shows good speed around the edge.

With more playing time and a regular role rushing the passer he can be good. I would give up a 4th or 5th.

k-oneputt
10-17-2011, 01:59 PM
...he was?

He Wasn't ??? That's all you talked about.
I guess he's finding it a little tougher from that MWC competition.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Nobody has, because he can't get on the field.

What kind of pick to you surrender for "who knows". Seems to me if you deal for a player and surrender a pick there should be some certainty.

Let's be fair part of the issue with him not seeing the field is because of who he is behind.

6th-7th Rounder. Since when is there every any kind of certainty with a trade?

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 02:04 PM
He Wasn't ??? That's all you talked about.
I guess he's finding it a little tougher from that MWC competition.

Nope, mischaracterizing again.

k-oneputt
10-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Nope, mischaracterizing again.

Don't worry I don't feel like looking up your threads on him like the qb threads.

YardRat
10-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you Icky and cookie for adding some sanity to the discussion.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Don't worry I don't feel like looking up your threads on him like the qb threads.

Ok...

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Thank you Icky and cookie for adding some sanity to the discussion.

I still have no idea who these young LB's are that we supposedly have and should let develop into edge pass rushers.

YardRat
10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I still have no idea who these young LB's are that we supposedly have and should let develop into edge pass rushers.

It wouldn't be the first time you were clueless. This week.

Let the guys we have play and develop. If you want to risk wasting a draft pick on an edge rusher, get one in next year's draft with the pick instead of shipping it off to another team for one of their scrubs.

If Hughes were a street FA? Fine...bring him for a peek. Give up a pick? Again...No thanks.

Ickybaluky
10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Let's be fair part of the issue with him not seeing the field is because of who he is behind.

No, it is because he hasn't shown enough to the coaches to earn a role.

He is their 5th DE, behind Freeney, Mathis, Jamaal Anderson and Tyler Brayton. Anderson and Brayton have dressed out every game and spell Mathis and Anderson.

Hughes, on the other hand, has been inactive for half the games. Why? Because in the opinion of the coaching staff he offers less than the other guys.

At the end of the day, a guy like Hughes needs to contribute on ST to earn a role, or earn enough of a role to justify dressing out. He hasn't done that. He sucks on ST and he hasn't nailed down a 3rd rusher role on a consistent basis.

To me, the fact a kid with the talent to be drafted that high hasn't done so is a matter of want-to. ST is all want-to, and he hasn't wanted to. Perhaps that is cruel, but if you look at how guys have earned their spots in the NFL that is what he is up against.

Roster spots are valuable, especially on a contending team. If a guy is a project, he must be pretty talented to warrant carrying on the roster. You have to hope he pays off big. I don't see Hughes showing anything to make it worth it. He is the type of guy who you bring to camp and give a shot if he ever gets cut. I don't see him having trade value.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 03:42 PM
It wouldn't be the first time you were clueless. This week.

Let the guys we have play and develop. If you want to risk wasting a draft pick on an edge rusher, get one in next year's draft with the pick instead of shipping it off to another team for one of their scrubs.

If Hughes were a street FA? Fine...bring him for a peek. Give up a pick? Again...No thanks.

You said we have young LB's to develop, my simple question is who are you waiting on? What have you seen from Moats or Batten that indicate anything to you?

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 03:46 PM

He is their 5th DE, behind Freeney, Mathis, Jamaal Anderson and Tyler Brayton. Anderson and Brayton have dressed out every game and spell Mathis and Anderson.

Hughes, on the other hand, has been inactive for half the games. Why? Because in the opinion of the coaching staff he offers less than the other guys.

At the end of the day, a guy like Hughes needs to contribute on ST to earn a role, or earn enough of a role to justify dressing out. He hasn't done that. He sucks on ST and he hasn't nailed down a 3rd rusher role on a consistent basis.

To me, the fact a kid with the talent to be drafted that high hasn't done so is a matter of want-to. ST is all want-to, and he hasn't wanted to. Perhaps that is cruel, but if you look at how guys have earned their spots in the NFL that is what he is up against.

Roster spots are valuable, especially on a contending team. If a guy is a project, he must be pretty talented to warrant carrying on the roster. You have to hope he pays off big. I don't see Hughes showing anything to make it worth it. He is the type of guy who you bring to camp and give a shot if he ever gets cut. I don't see him having trade value.

Fair enough, like I said based on what we know he can do as a pass rusher and the fact that he never should of been taken in a 43 system why not take a shot. Our pass rush can't get any worse.

That's why I called this an option and not a must have. I still disagree with your ST point but that's a different discussion for a different day. The far better point is active v. inactive, which blows holes in nearly my entire argument. A kid that athletic but inactive? Something is not right about that.

methos4ever
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Fair enough, like I said based on what we know he can do as a pass rusher and the fact that he never should of been taken in a 43 system why not take a shot. Our pass rush can't get any worse.

That's why I called this an option and not a must have. I still disagree with your ST point but that's a different discussion for a different day. The far better point is active v. inactive, which blows holes in nearly my entire argument. A kid that athletic but inactive? Something is not right about that.
Don't forget despite what Caldwell says the power the Polians have over that roster. Perhaps on game day having 4 ends out there and the one not out there in the dog house justifies not even trying him on ST?

Or perhaps they want another position (say wideout or TE) to have a ST presence? With Hughes, there was actual production doing what we want him to do in college, I'm just surprised they haven't used him in a stand up role like they now do with Wheeler...

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/9/16/2429187/jerry-hughes-peed-on-the-rug

However, two people who would probably benefit most from a switch to a 3-4 are Jerry Hughes and 2008 draft bust Philip Wheeler. Wheeler, like Hughes, was a pass-rushing specialist in college at Georgia Tech. He was drafted in the third round in 2008 but, unlike Hughes, Wheeler was shifted to play SAM linebacker in a Tampa-2 defense. Rarely, if ever, do linebackers blitz in Tampa-2. Thus, the one skill Wheeler made a name for himself for at GT, pass rushing, has never been maximized. Instead, Wheeler has struggled to play coverage as a SAM. He's been benched twice in two years, and had it not been for a very strong preseason this year, he might have been cut from the team.

It was during preseason this year that we finally saw the Colts experiment with Wheeler as a stand-up rusher from the outside, and the results were very promising. Wheeler had two sacks in preseason, and when he rushed from the outside in a stand-up position, he always got near the quarterback.

During training camp this year, Stampede Blue's Matt Grecco noticed the Colts utilizing Hughes as a stand-up rusher in several scrimmages. like with Wheeler in preseason, the results were promising. Unlike Wheeler though, the Colts never experimented with Hughes as an outside rusher standing-up. In all four games, Hughes had his hand on the ground, and he looked slow and plodding when he rushed from that stance

TigerJ
10-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm open to the idea of exploring a trade for Hughes. I'm not sure Eddie Royal would be a fit for Buffalo's long term plans. I know they need some more speed at WR to start stretching the field a little more vertically, but I think they would rather have speed combined with size, and Royal is pretty short. I think the Bills may opt to have Spiller play at WR until Donald Jones comes back. The Bills may believe they have Easley coming back next season, and/or they may look to draft a WR with a good size/speed ratio.

YardRat
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
You said we have young LB's to develop, my simple question is who are you waiting on? What have you seen from Moats or Batten that indicate anything to you?

I'm waiting on three guys, possibly four, that we've already spent draft picks on...two rookies, and two second year guys. Moats and Batten have shown me enough that given a little bit of time, experience and good teaching either could become a decent edge rusher. Neither are speed demons by any means, but it takes more than a quick 40 time to rush the passer.

It's real simple...Why waste a draft pick on somebody else's mistake?

Lemme guess...you had him rated pretty high coming out of college last season?

Mahdi
10-17-2011, 06:10 PM

Actually, Anderson and Brayton dress more than Hughes because;

Brayton is better on run defense due to his size and Anderson plays DT on passing downs. So they bring more versatility to their defense.

When you have Freeney and Mathis you don't need another situational pass rusher.

Mahdi
10-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm waiting on three guys, possibly four, that we've already spent draft picks on...two rookies, and two second year guys. Moats and Batten have shown me enough that given a little bit of time, experience and good teaching either could become a decent edge rusher. Neither are speed demons by any means, but it takes more than a quick 40 time to rush the passer.

It's real simple...Why waste a draft pick on somebody else's mistake?

Lemme guess...you had him rated pretty high coming out of college last season?
I think Moats has been given more than enough snaps to at least show what he is capable of. And I don't see more than 1 QB pressure per game from him, if that.

k-oneputt
10-17-2011, 07:34 PM
But but but they were studs in the Sky and Colinial conf.

There is a reason they play in those leagues.