PDA

View Full Version : flutie

cutter10x
06-28-2003, 04:32 PM
i just watched a espn2 sports centery on 1984, i had flutie on it about his boston college hail mary. it also went through his pro career and not once did it show or talk about his days in buffalo. it showed the cfl, usfl, and the chargers, he even spoke with his charger hat on so i know it wasnt made that long ago, i think its ****ing BS. the little tweerp, has a problem with some coaches and such, but i think it was a slap in the fans face...

down with flute..........loser

:rocket:

The Natrix
06-28-2003, 04:38 PM
I always knew he was an *******

BillsFever
06-28-2003, 08:14 PM
He's always been a loser.

colin
06-28-2003, 08:33 PM
and a ******

colin
06-28-2003, 08:34 PM
why does ******* go through but f@gg0t not?

G. Host
06-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Did HE decide what film was used or what questions was asked?

Sounds like sour grapes. :cry:

It was not like he left Buffalo on his own. He was cut in favor of 'Mr. Potential"! :scratch:

The_Philster
06-28-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by G. Host

It was not like he left Buffalo on his own. He was cut in favor of 'Mr. Potential"! :scratch:

While I'm not defending the choice made, he did make the coaches' decision for them when he said he'd give the offense a try but if things weren't working how he liked, he'd do it his own way. RJ said he'd follow the coaches' orders.

G. Host
06-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
While I'm not defending the choice made, he did make the coaches' decision for them when he said he'd give the offense a try but if things weren't working how he liked, he'd do it his own way. RJ said he'd follow the coaches' orders.

And Johnson said the same thing regarding not taking hits and throwing it away. And how did he get knocked out? By doing what he said - trying to make a stupid play which was going no where.

Flutie tried running the 'offense game plan' from previous OC and then made plays when play broke down. No different than what he said he would do when new coach and front office came in.

Flutie even offered to renegotiate - Johnson didn't and didn't care about being cut.

ublinkwescore
06-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Well if Flutie did select what film was used on it, all I've got to say is HA HA, RJ has a ring, and you don't.

The_Philster
06-28-2003, 10:12 PM

And Johnson said the same thing regarding not taking hits and throwing it away. And how did he get knocked out? By doing what he said - trying to make a stupid play which was going no where.

Those are two vastly different scenarios. Flutie said he wouldn't listen to the coaches. RJ wasn't bright enough to override his programming...programming that John Robinson of USC put into him...telling him to hold onto the ball to make the big play. Plus he didn't trust his WRs to make plays as much as he should have...which explained why he held onto the ball even when he had a WR that could have easily made the play.
It's an argument of insubordination vs. stupidity. They figured they could retrain RJ but not convince an old QB to follow plans to the letter if he's worked his whole career as a free lancer, so to speak.

Flutie tried running the 'offense game plan' from previous OC and then made plays when play broke down. No different than what he said he would do when new coach and front office came in.

Remember who we're talking about, though? Gregg Williams came in as a bit of a control freak. Maybe logic dictates that you design around a player but Williams insisted things be done his way. RJ said he would...Doug said he wouldn't.

Flutie even offered to renegotiate - Johnson didn't and didn't care about being cut.

I'm pretty sure RJ did restructure anyway.

BillsFever
06-28-2003, 10:38 PM
There's still people out there who think we should've kept an old Doug Flutie. The same guy that lost 9 straight games the following year? How stupid could we have been?

BillsFever
06-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Sure RJ didn't work out, but Flutie wasn't even an option.

imbondz
06-28-2003, 11:01 PM

EXACTLY. Anyone who can say that Flutie didn't get screwed in Buffalo is wrong. He leads the Bills to the playoffs and then doesnt get the start because Johnson has one good game. Made no sense. Flutie should have been pissed. He had a right to be. I'm not saying Flutie was long term, but he earned the playoffs.

Tatonka
06-28-2003, 11:07 PM
why are we even talking about him.

imbondz
06-28-2003, 11:10 PM
good point.

SABURZFAN
06-29-2003, 08:20 AM
flutie was something to talk about the last couple years when we played the CHARGERS and butler was still alive.it was unfortunate for all parties involved that a series of blunders left bitterness.unfortunately,this will be brought up throughout the course of time where BILLS fans will be bored and restless.

justasportsfan
06-29-2003, 09:13 AM
I also saw a film on Flutie which "did" include the bills. Flutie was a better option than Rob. Rob was brought in to be a starter and he sucked.
Flutie was brought in to be a back-up and he did a great job. Too bad he forgot what position he was brought in for and it got to his head. Then again if I were a back-up to Rob, I'd think the same way.
Rob has a ring? Who cares what he did outside of buffalo. I only care what he did in Buffalo. He did nothing. One of the biggest mistakes we ever made.

mybills
06-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by imbondz

EXACTLY. Anyone who can say that Flutie didn't get screwed in Buffalo is wrong. He leads the Bills to the playoffs and then doesnt get the start because Johnson has one good game. Made no sense. Flutie should have been pissed. He had a right to be. I'm not saying Flutie was long term, but he earned the playoffs.

ditto.

Jan Reimers
06-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Like him or not, Flutie helped a lot with sagging premium ticket sales five years ago, when this franchise was at a critical juncture.

StillLurkin
06-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by mybills

ditto.

And i remember Flutie fumbling inside the miami 10 yard line, at the end of that wild card playoff game. driving for the go ahead TD, he fumbled and lost the game.

but really who cares, he and ****** rob are gone. this era of the bills is light years ahead of that depressing flutie/rj era.

The_Philster
06-29-2003, 06:02 PM
:10:

imbondz
06-30-2003, 02:54 AM
I don't want to keep talking about Flutie, but I just get frustrated reading posts about how Flutie did nothing for this organization. I remember being 0-3 and him coming in and taking the Bills to 5-3 and the city and fans of Buffalo flipping out and loving it. I remember him scrambling w/ :16 seconds left against the jags and winning the game w/ a TD and thinking he's cool, i'm glad he's a Bill. Maybe we all have selective memory. But to me, Flutie is a positive memory for me on the Bills.

The_Philster
06-30-2003, 04:44 AM
Actually, we were 1-3 when he took over.

MDFINFAN
06-30-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
why are we even talking about him.

Because while he was in Buffalo, when he got on the field he gave your team hope and excitement..even I must admit anytime Flutie played for you, you never new what would happened..He deserved to start for you over Johnson, he gave a avg team hope during his time there.

TedMock
06-30-2003, 07:42 AM
He deserved to start over Johnson but they had to keep Johnson at that time because they felt that he had talent and this young team can grow together. Good news is that both are backups elsewhere and neither was ever really any good. Flutie was exciting to watch but everybody thinks he led us to a 10 win season. This is totally untrue. Our offense averaged just over 14 points per game that year...woo hoo! It was our number 3 ranked Defense holding opponents to under 14 points that led us to the playoffs, NOT DOUG FLUTIE!! No, I do not think Johnson would've done better but at that time the "potential" thing was a valid reason. Now we all know that RJ is a very athletic moron who will never amount to anything in the NFL. They were both part of our great 5 year QB run after Kelly and before Drew.

Valerie
06-30-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by imbondz But to me, Flutie is a positive memory for me on the Bills.
:hi5: Me too, Imbondz! I liked Doug and I thought he was a positive and good addition to the Bills. I think he did a lot for the team and the community.

Honestly, I can't believe this old and tired argument is still going on. It's so frustrating and annoying to constantly read about what a terrible person and player Doug was. The man is gone, can't we just leave him alone? And let his memory rest in peace.:pray:

TedMock
06-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Jaded, you're absolutely right. I got so heated when I saw this that I lost it and went off. I really need to do a better job containing myself!

Valerie
06-30-2003, 08:21 AM
You and me both, Ted. When it comes to Doug, it's like talking to the wall with some people. Regardless of what he did, he never would've been good enough for some. It really upsets me.

I remember when he played against Minnesota back in 2000 I think. He had one hell of a game, but the Bills still lost. I can remember riding back to Poolesville in tears. When my dad asked why I was crying, I said because tomorrow on the board (a Flutie Haters board I belonged to that no longer exists), I said because tomorrow they're all going to be ripping Doug apart. It really upset me. For some, he could never do anything right or good enough. I used to get into so many arguments with some of these people. It got tiring and old. I liked him and I still like him. I don't care what anyone else thinks of him. I think he's a :10:

TedMock
06-30-2003, 08:36 AM
It's like that with both of them. I was at a Bills v. Chargers game and RJ threw for over 300 yard and 2 TD's. He got hurt in the 4th quarter and a bunch of people started cheering. It was wrong on all accounts. Whoever you pulled for, you don't cheer when a guy who's having a great game goes down.

imbondz
06-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Actually, we were 1-3 when he took over.

o.k. i'm almost positive we were 0-3.

BillsNYC
06-30-2003, 11:42 AM
ARRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

why is there a doug flutie thread on this board!???

WG
06-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by cutter10x
i just watched a espn2 sports centery on 1984, i had flutie on it about his boston college hail mary. it also went through his pro career and not once did it show or talk about his days in buffalo. it showed the cfl, usfl, and the chargers, he even spoke with his charger hat on so i know it wasnt made that long ago, i think its ****ing BS. the little tweerp, has a problem with some coaches and such, but i think it was a slap in the fans face...

down with flute..........loser

:rocket:

I've NEVER seen a QB get so much mileage over a single play in my life as Flutie did w/ that BC play.

If that play had never happened, then Flutie's career in the NFL would have ended totally unspectacularly when he left for the CFL!

The guy was a worthless QB who's sole contribution was making highlight reels!

His offensive production was nominal at best and he continually took the credit for our D holding opponents to under 20 points to win games we otherwise would have lost!

Sure, you can get a good highlight reel from Flutie, but as far as good, solid, consistent play at the QB position, he was below average easily!

WG
06-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Unfortunately, this is the exact same problems that we now have w/ Drew!

The fans, and media, are more concerned w/ big plays that look outstanding and create good highlights, than they are with good, sound, fundamental error-free football which results in winning!

Once again, in 7 losses last season, we had 22 TOs.

19 of those 22 TOs were Drew's!!!

Nice looking passing plays, especially ones that don't result in TDs, DO NOT make up for those TOs!!

Nor do attempts, completions, or tons of yardage, again, apart from the 1 passing TD/game that we saw in 2/3 of our games!!

imbondz
06-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
ARRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

why is there a doug flutie thread on this board!???

:mad: This thread was just about to disappear until you responded to it.

WG
06-30-2003, 11:54 AM
I just put it where it belongs.

Actually, it belongs elsewhere, but I was kind...

:D

imbondz
06-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Hey Wys, I think this is the first time i've ever responded directly to one of your posts. :D :up:

Originally posted by Wys Guy
Unfortunately, this is the exact same problems that we now have w/ Drew!

The fans, and media, are more concerned w/ big plays that look outstanding and create good highlights, than they are with good, sound, fundamental error-free football which results in winning!

:puke:

you self righteous, think you know it all, speak for all of us... :calm: :jk:

but it's not true what you said. i want a team that is more concerned with discipline, fundamental football, running first, passing second, low penaltys, error-free football, possession clock whores