PDA

View Full Version : Who needs to be replaced on Defense?

Novacane
10-16-2011, 04:28 PM
George Edwards is obvious but what about players? I'd say we need 2 starting CBs, Byrd is nothing special, and all of our LB's are replaceable. DL should be ok. Am I wrong?

THATHURMANATOR
10-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't mind Byrd and I like Barnett for sure.

Sheppard, Moats, and Batten are still very young and could end up being decent.

Corners do suck I agree

Lets hope Merriman,Kelsey and Williams are ready in 2 weeks.

Maximilli
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
i dont like drayton man

Johnny Bugmenot
10-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Who do you get to replace them? Heck, Merriman was the biggest name out there last year and he's done very little. There are no easy solutions.

YardRat
10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
George Edwards for sure.

I'm OK with our LBers, Shepphard is going to replace Davis sooner rather than later. Moats and Batten will grow.

We need cornerbacks badly. McKelvin is a waste, Florence is going to have these types of games, unfortunately for us the best one on the field today was a less than 100% and aging McGee.

RoscoeMagic
10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Our corners are only as good as our pass rush.

When you're missing Merriman, Kelsay and Kyle Williams, the QB is going to have time to pick them apart.

trapezeus
10-16-2011, 04:49 PM
we need 1 legit top notch LB. a bennett to help the averageness out and to be a game changer that requires the gameplan to change around him.

Skooby
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Anyone with a Y somewhere in their name, LOL. (Joking).

baalworship
10-16-2011, 05:10 PM
For all the people who hate on Kelsay we could have really used him today.

CAbills
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Jesus do you watch the games Byrd has been one of our best players on defense. I need to stay away from the boards during weeks they lose. The crazies come out.

Mahdi
10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
George Edwards is obvious but what about players? I'd say we need 2 starting CBs, Byrd is nothing special, and all of our LB's are replaceable. DL should be ok. Am I wrong?
I actually like our DBs... I think they are suffering with the lack of pass rush.

DL is good, ILBs are ok, Barnett is solid but Davis is old and slow. Shep needs to play more.

Only players that need upgrading on defense are the OLBs.

DraftBoy
10-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Dump D. Edwards, Davis, Florence, and McGee for starters.

Id focus on improving the outside and adding some speed to this defense. You are going to need to also add another ILB and NT to this squad.

Realistically the first two priorities need to be a pass rushing OLB and a man cover corner.

Lexwhat
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Dump D. Edwards, Davis, Florence, and McGee for starters.

Id focus on improving the outside and adding some speed to this defense. You are going to need to also add another ILB and NT to this squad.

Realistically the first two priorities need to be a pass rushing OLB and a man cover corner.

This pretty much sums it up. Add 2 players like that and this is a completely different Defense.

I don't think we need to dump Florence...
--Florence signed an affordable 3-year deal, and he'll definitely be here for the next 2 seasons.
--McGee is fine as a Nickle/Dime Corner, although he is overpaid. He could be a financial liability.
--McKelvin's contract ends at the end of next season, so it remains to be seen whether he'll be extended or not. He has too many mental lapses to be a starting CB, IMO.

ParanoidAndroid
10-16-2011, 06:15 PM
Every single player among the back 8 except Barnett is replaceable IMHO. We need a consistent impact player at CB and a true OLB that can play run and rush the passer.
Shepp looks like he might develop into a good player and Moats is a solid role player on obvious pass plays, but we still need some playmakers back there.
No lucky bounces this week.

bigbub2352
10-16-2011, 06:48 PM
george edwards

kyle williams needs to play de and heard and troupe need to rotate in the middle for a true 3-4 to take place..dareous being the other de

andra davis
dwan edwards
replaced...sheppard and carrington
spencer johnson and chris kelsay are awful at OLB as well

mckelvin
mcgee
florence all look a step behind in coverage...our pass rush is awful and doesn't help at all

merriman is a shell of what he was...batten looks over matched as does moats...although he should be a situational pass rusher

we need to blitz

outcoached

bigbub2352
10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
george edwards

kyle williams needs to play de and heard and troupe need to rotate in the middle for a true 3-4 to take place..dareous being the other de

andra davis
dwan edwards
replaced...sheppard and carrington

kelsay is awful

mckelvin
mcgee
florence all look a step behind in coverage...our pass rush is awful and doesn't help at all

merriman is a shell of what he was...batten looks over matched as does moats...although he should be a situational pass rusher

we need to blitz

outcoached

Ed
10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't have a huge issue with our CB's. This is a pass happy league where all the advantages are given to the WR's and QB's. They have a tough job and when your team can't generate any pass rush there's just not a lot your secondary can do to consistently shut teams down. We should still be looking to upgrade, but our corners get a lot of unfair criticism. Offensive passing games has been the story of the whole league so far this season.

Night Train
10-16-2011, 07:05 PM
The 3-4 blows. I think that's the biggest problem, over individual blame.

Go with a 4-3 and start blitzing LB's and Safties. Can't keep allowing opposing O's to shred our D at will.

Can't depend on 2-3 turnovers a game as the only way to win.

Novacane
10-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Our corners are only as good as our pass rush.

When you're missing Merriman, Kelsay and Kyle Williams, the QB is going to have time to pick them apart.

QB's have had all day to throw in every game so far.

RoscoeMagic
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
QB's have had all day to throw in every game so far.
Tell that to Vick.

Mahdi
10-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Go with a 4-3 and start blitzing LB's and Safties. Can't keep allowing opposing O's to shred our D at will.

That's exactly what they tried to do today and it didn't work. They blitzed safeties and CBs and couldn't get there.

How will it be different if you do it out of a 4-3? We still won't have edge rushers that anyone worries about.

Problem is not formation it's talent on the edge and speed at ILB.

mysticsoto
10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I actually like our DBs... I think they are suffering with the lack of pass rush.

DL is good, ILBs are ok, Barnett is solid but Davis is old and slow. Shep needs to play more.

Only players that need upgrading on defense are the OLBs.

Looks like you got your wish on Davis:

Per rotoworld:

Bills ILB Andra Davis was benched in favor of rookie Kelvin Sheppard during Sunday's loss to the Giants.

The Buffalo News expects Sheppard to formally become the starter going forward. The Bills' defense is getting gashed for 5.1 yards per carry through six games as they head into their bye.

mysticsoto
10-17-2011, 12:04 PM

3-4 is not the reason we are sucking on pass rush! We don't have any edge rushers right now and the guys in the middle are not shedding their blocks quickly enough. And you can blitz LBs/S in a 3-4 also. But we shouldn't have to. OLB may be top priority next year unless we can do something in the offseason.

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Switching back to the 43 creates more issues than it solves.

-We have zero 43 DE's, we don't have any 43 OLB's, we have too many 43 MLB's.

And even then do we want to return to Cover 2 style?

methos4ever
10-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Switching back to the 43 creates more issues than it solves.

-We have zero 43 DE's, we don't have any 43 OLB's, we have too many 43 MLB's.

And even then do we want to return to Cover 2 style?
For those that want that, on the two picks vs the Eagles it was a fire zone with cover 2 principles behind them. If we just go 4-3, with no rush and try cover 2 again....*shudders*

DraftBoy
10-17-2011, 12:23 PM
For those that want that, on the two picks vs the Eagles it was a fire zone with cover 2 principles behind them. If we just go 4-3, with no rush and try cover 2 again....*shudders*

Thank you...Didn't we run man outside and just zoned the middle?

ddaryl
10-17-2011, 12:28 PM
If I'm making moves this offseason...

1.) Pass rush (front 7).. A speedy stud DE or a highly regarded pass rushing OLB who can play the run.

2.) A shut down corner capable of taking the opposing teams top WR out

methos4ever
10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Thank you...Didn't we run man outside and just zoned the middle?
Yeah DB we did on the first one. On the second pick (the strip pick with Florence) drayton was in zone, got off of his man and then went to raking.

I think this defense (and Defensive coordinator) can be better judged with thletes that complement it in the aforementioned positions...

TedMock
10-17-2011, 03:18 PM
A lot of people have hit on the general theme. We need an edge rusher. That's 99% more likely to come from an OLB than a DE. Bruce Smith was a freak of nature 34 end. Most DE's aren't "speedy" in that style defense, so the OLB is just more likely. I think moving Sheppard inside makes a lot of sense. The overall team speed is not bad, but Davis is just sooo slow out there. Additionally, as a big run-stuffer, he failed yesterday. He had a beat on Bradshaw, lowered his head, dropped his arms and missed a hit on the goal line. Awful, awful play on his part. Lastly, a CB. McKelvin is not a terrible cover guy as much as he is terrible once the ball is in the air. It's a bizarre thing to watch. He'll be on a guys hip and just completely lose the ball...often. Either way, that's unacceptable. Florence - I don't hate him. He has always been better inside and yesterday showed why. He was ungodly bad yesterday. So many people freaked out at the thought of us drafting a CB early in March too. Oops. Still love the Dareus pick though.

YardRat
10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
3-4 is not the reason we are sucking on pass rush! We don't have any edge rushers right now and the guys in the middle are not shedding their blocks quickly enough. And you can blitz LBs/S in a 3-4 also. But we shouldn't have to. OLB may be top priority next year unless we can do something in the offseason.

That's the beauty of the 34...rush four guys, and make the defense guess who the fourth is going to be and where he's coming from.

Bert102176
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Andre Davis, Shawne Merriman, Dreyton Florrence

WeAreArthurMoates
10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Sheppard starting is huge. This move is the first one I've would of made and in terms of depth, gives us the biggest upgrade (well Carrington over Dwan could be). Sheppard brings so much more athletecism to the line up and has the intensity to be a beast. Even blitzing the qb, he showed he could do that vs. Philly.

I think Carrington should start as well. Dwan has done okay this year but Alex has made more plays in such a limited time. The only other move to me, that would upgrade a spot is Moats starting over Merriman or Kelsay.

But the Sheppard one to me, is the biggest.