PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks in a row

trapezeus
10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Where we did not come out and have a better second half. Is this a reason for concern?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-17-2011, 08:51 AM
any loss is a reason for concern

Stewie
10-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I am concerned.

psubills62
10-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I think there are reasons we should be concerned. However, I think there are a number of positives that we showed in this game that people are ignoring because they're too busy trying to figure out who to blame.

I will say that this bye week is coming at what seems to be a perfect time.

Honestly, I didn't think our play in the second half was all that bad (except for the two INT's). Especially compared to the last couple games.

trapezeus
10-17-2011, 12:48 PM
what were the positives? just to be on the same page.

ddaryl
10-17-2011, 12:53 PM
played 2 of the best D's we've faced in Cincy and Giants so that is part of the reason. Also teams now have plenty of film on Gailey's O and Fitz's strengths and weaknesses. We are using a lot of short passes and D's are cheating up because they do not fear the long ball. They fear the short pass and Freddy.

BUT If Fitz throws that 2nd INT 5 more yds up field Stevie had the step and things might of looked a lot different after that.

psubills62
10-17-2011, 12:58 PM
what were the positives? just to be on the same page.
Offense was able to move the ball consistently. Fitzpatrick was pressured a lot, but still completed 70% of throws. After the first 1-yard gain on 3rd and 5, Bills consistently threw to or beyond the sticks on 3rd downs and managed to convert 5/11 third downs.

I also saw a team that made some plays when adjusting to the Giants' pressure. After Fitzpatrick took a 10 yard sack, they threw a screen play that went for 19. Then after a Giants player jumped the snap count, the next play Fitz changed it up and drew them offsides.

We also scored more points on offense in this game than both of the previous two. Giants only had 2.8 YPC in the run game through three quarters. We lost the turnover battle for the very first time this year, yet had multiple opportunities to win and only lost by 3.

Of course, most of these positives can be found here:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=206956

Also will discuss one or two in a little more detail in my mid-week stat analysis column.

trapezeus
10-17-2011, 01:03 PM
i buy all your selling psu, but what are your non-statistical thoughts on the injuries. Are they getting too numerous?

I think that kyle williams injury is worse than reported. i heard it may be very similar to TKO's achillles injury prior to him tearing it. The weeks leading up to TKO's injury he complained of very similar pain as to what williams is going through now. i think the bills will be very cautious with him.

B-DON
10-17-2011, 01:08 PM
i buy all your selling psu, but what are your non-statistical thoughts on the injuries. Are they getting too numerous?

I think that kyle williams injury is worse than reported. i heard it may be very similar to TKO's achillles injury prior to him tearing it. The weeks leading up to TKO's injury he complained of very similar pain as to what williams is going through now. i think the bills will be very cautious with him.
You think it's worse or have you heard it's worse? Who are you hearing this information from?

OpIv37
10-17-2011, 01:17 PM

KW is hurt? That explains why Heard was on the field so often. It also makes me wonder WTF is up with Troupe. If KW is out, Troupe should be taking most of his minutes, not Heard.

psubills62
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Injuries are concerning me, especially since most of them seem to be of the 4-5 week variety. My hope is that our bye week will help a lot of these guys return. I think Aaron Williams and Hairston are the only guys I find doubtful to return in two weeks. Not saying all the others will come back, but they have a chance.

K. Williams' injury might be bad. Honestly, if he could rest it for 4-5 more weeks and come back at full strength, I'd rather have him do that than sit for a couple weeks then come back and play the rest of the season at less than 100%. Williams just wasn't terribly effective the first few games and the only benefit he seemed to provide was taking up blockers, IMO.

And if K. Williams misses a lot of time, then we'll get to see what we have in Troup.

psubills62
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
KW is hurt? That explains why Heard was on the field so often. It also makes me wonder WTF is up with Troupe. If KW is out, Troupe should be taking most of his minutes, not Heard.
Williams was out for the Giants game.

Troup also was injured. He was OK enough to play, but not play extensively. It's one of those situations where I'd expect him to be good enough after the bye to play more. We'll see.

trapezeus
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
it's just what i heard from people tangently connected to monitoring Bills injuries. I know how the board is with rumors and such, so take it what its worth or however you evaluate comments like that. I won't force it as gospel or anything. It's just a feeling i got from what i had heard. It isn't necessarily reliable.

The defense let manning throw with too much time, specifically at the end. Heard looked decent early and exhausted late. that could be a conditioning thing as well. But williams and merrimen need to get out there again to make our defense closer to average. they might not get the stats, but the QB's have been under more duress than what that game showed.

psubills62
10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
it's just what i heard from people tangently connected to monitoring Bills injuries. I know how the board is with rumors and such, so take it what its worth or however you evaluate comments like that. I won't force it as gospel or anything. It's just a feeling i got from what i had heard. It isn't necessarily reliable.

The defense let manning throw with too much time, specifically at the end. Heard looked decent early and exhausted late. that could be a conditioning thing as well. But williams and merrimen need to get out there again to make our defense closer to average. they might not get the stats, but the QB's have been under more duress than what that game showed.
I do think we were missing the interior pass rush against the Giants. And I wouldn't be surprised if you were right about K. Williams' injury.