PDA

View Full Version : Spiller, spread offense, etc.

stuckincincy
10-17-2011, 04:21 PM
First things first:

a) BUF's def was iffy to begin with - Injuries took a toll on an already weak bunch.
b)) Decent opponent played on their turf.
c) 4-2 at their bye week. Who thought this? Certainly not me.

Spiller:

He has speed. He's 5'11". A bit less than 200 lb.

Nothing tells me that he has especially gifted hands.

Nothing tells me that he's a leaper when a ball sails his way.

Nothing tells me that he has the open field experience to juke 'n jive DBs from the git go or stretch the field and do same..

He's run back a few kicks, a few good, but otherwise, so-so. I know that it's rare to pop off a big one.

If the BUF staff thinks that they can turn him into a wr, they ought to view some film of CLE trying to do that with the returner Josh Cribbs.

If I were the BUF OC, I'd put Spiller in for 15 or so plays - AND, I would call numerous inside runs, hope his speed hits through a crack. One thing I would not do is sit Jackson down when Spiller comes in. Spiller at the tail of an I would be an interesting formation. Either he's a dud, and eat the money, or see what can be done. Tossup...

BUF needs to play around with their off. strategy. CIN put a very fast spy on Fred, and I dunno, but I'm guessing that NYG did also. NYG put 8 in the box and other that that 80 yd pop, it worked.

With 8 box, I woulda been looking at a bunch of quick snap 3 step receiver go 12 yard-come-back-for 4 yard pass stuff. No hitch unless it's a hard pass behind the LOS - don't tempt fate if 8 folks are hanging around on close to the LOS, eh?

After his early splash, TE Chandler snagged one for minus 3. Gee...Bills with TE questions - duh.

When you run a spread offense, it's generally useful to determine when all you are doing...is spreading your legs. :rain:

Pinkerton Security
10-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Not sure why you doubt his hands, he is known for having soft hands as a receiver. Also, he looked the part as a WR and with our short passing attack, getting the ball in his hands on slants and short throws and letting him do the work in the open field which is his forte...get him a slant in the seam if he makes one or 2 guys miss hes gone every time. He doesnt need to be a leaper because unless they're throwing fades to him (which they wont) it doesnt matter, we dont run a ton of deep routes.

Not saying I want him to be a WR long term but I actually give kudos to Gailey for trying to find a way to get the ball into Spiller's hands, as its gonna be tough to take carries away from Fred with the way he is running right now.

Mr. Pink
10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
You can't just throw a guy at WR midseason and hope he can figure out how to run routes. That's the only problem I have with the Bills deciding to use Spiller as a short term solution while Jones is out.

Crisis
10-17-2011, 05:23 PM
You can't just throw a guy at WR midseason and hope he can figure out how to run routes. That's the only problem I have with the Bills deciding to use Spiller as a short term solution while Jones is out.

I'd agree with you if our alternative wasn't Ruvell Martin.

streetkings01
10-17-2011, 10:05 PM
5 rec for 39 yds says Chan knows the routes CJ is comfortable running

kingJofNYC
10-17-2011, 10:44 PM
It's not like he's going to be asked to run the route tree.

Slants, curls/hitches, and shallow crosses will be the order of the day when it comes to Spiller.

On the flip side, the D will know his limited role and they'll be much more apt to jump a route.

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Not sure why you doubt his hands, he is known for having soft hands as a receiver. Also, he looked the part as a WR and with our short passing attack, getting the ball in his hands on slants and short throws and letting him do the work in the open field which is his forte...get him a slant in the seam if he makes one or 2 guys miss hes gone every time. He doesnt need to be a leaper because unless they're throwing fades to him (which they wont) it doesnt matter, we dont run a ton of deep routes.

Not saying I want him to be a WR long term but I actually give kudos to Gailey for trying to find a way to get the ball into Spiller's hands, as its gonna be tough to take carries away from Fred with the way he is running right now.

Oops - I misspoke. Not his hands per se, but that a wr is generally more adept at stretching out for a catch than most rbs, more experienced in snagging an errant throw and so forth.

I still think that the CIN PS'er, TE Chase Coffman, might fit into Gailey's style. He's a TE in name only (try as they might, CIN's coaches failed at trying to get him to block).

What he is, is a 6' 6" 250+ lb. WR with fine hands and a decent motor. And you can't teach height, as they say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_Coffman

better days
10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
First things first:

a) BUF's def was iffy to begin with - Injuries took a toll on an already weak bunch.
b)) Decent opponent played on their turf.
c) 4-2 at their bye week. Who thought this? Certainly not me.

Spiller:

He has speed. He's 5'11". A bit less than 200 lb.

Nothing tells me that he has especially gifted hands.

Nothing tells me that he's a leaper when a ball sails his way.

Nothing tells me that he has the open field experience to juke 'n jive DBs from the git go or stretch the field and do same..

He's run back a few kicks, a few good, but otherwise, so-so. I know that it's rare to pop off a big one.

If the BUF staff thinks that they can turn him into a wr, they ought to view some film of CLE trying to do that with the returner Josh Cribbs.

If I were the BUF OC, I'd put Spiller in for 15 or so plays - AND, I would call numerous inside runs, hope his speed hits through a crack. One thing I would not do is sit Jackson down when Spiller comes in. Spiller at the tail of an I would be an interesting formation. Either he's a dud, and eat the money, or see what can be done. Tossup...

BUF needs to play around with their off. strategy. CIN put a very fast spy on Fred, and I dunno, but I'm guessing that NYG did also. NYG put 8 in the box and other that that 80 yd pop, it worked.

With 8 box, I woulda been looking at a bunch of quick snap 3 step receiver go 12 yard-come-back-for 4 yard pass stuff. No hitch unless it's a hard pass behind the LOS - don't tempt fate if 8 folks are hanging around on close to the LOS, eh?

After his early splash, TE Chandler snagged one for minus 3. Gee...Bills with TE questions - duh.

When you run a spread offense, it's generally useful to determine when all you are doing...is spreading your legs. :rain:

Well, the Bills could also look at the career of converted RB to WR & former Buffalo Bill & Pro Bowler Ahmad Rashad to see how Spiller could do.

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
5 rec for 39 yds says Chan knows the routes CJ is comfortable running

What were the routes he caught the ball off of though?

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
It's not like he's going to be asked to run the route tree.

Slants, curls/hitches, and shallow crosses will be the order of the day when it comes to Spiller.

On the flip side, the D will know his limited role and they'll be much more apt to jump a route.

True but if his depth is off then that's the difference between a 1st down and a punt or INT.

These things must be far more percise than simply knowing the shape of the route. Timing, Depth, and adjustments are all huge.

That takes a while to learn, hence why WR's traditionally take longer to adjust to the NFL.

I imagine they will keep Spiller's stuff as simple as possible. Id like to see them use him on a wheel route where they pump a slant from the outside WR.

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Well, the Bills could also look at the career of former Bill & Pro Bowler Ahmad Rashad to see how Spiller could do.

The former Bobby Moore, drafted by the STL Cards. IIRC, he was shuffled off by BUF because he wasn't the blocker for Simpson that Hill and Chandler were.

That ranked up there with Lamonica for Flores and Powell, and the letting go of Haven Moses, James Harris and Joe Cribbs, etc.

psubills62
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
What were the routes he caught the ball off of though?
I don't remember all five, but the two I do remember were a comeback and a dig, I believe.

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 11:31 AM
True but if his depth is off then that's the difference between a 1st down and a punt or INT.

These things must be far more percise than simply knowing the shape of the route. Timing, Depth, and adjustments are all huge.

That takes a while to learn, hence why WR's traditionally take longer to adjust to the NFL.

I imagine they will keep Spiller's stuff as simple as possible. Id like to see them use him on a wheel route where they pump a slant from the outside WR.

I'd expend a play. Line up in shotgun, run down the clock, have Spiller streak in from a wide-out position like an end-around, and plant it in Freddie's gut.

Then I'd run it again later in the game and I bet I get a sweet pitch 'n catch play to a wide-open, ignored receiver. :mybills: