PDA

View Full Version : Mistiming the blitz.....

OpIv37
10-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Watching Miami just reminded me...

When I was watching the Bills yesterday (and actually, at numerous times over the course of the season), it seems the blitz was ALWAYS mistimed. They were bringing LB's or DB's up to the line of scrimmage, the QB would use a hard count, and they would have to slow down.

When I watch a GOOD defense, they either stack the box so everyone is close enough to the LOS that they can blitz without moving up, or the blitzer times the blitz properly (at least a good portion of the time).

This is one reason why the Bills can't get pressure on the opposing QB. Maybe they just don't have the talent, but it's something I hope they can fix with 2 weeks off.

Maximilli
10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Well there not doing anything to confuse the QB whoever runs to the line is pretty much blitzing no CB blitzes or anything like that no double edge blitzes forcing OL to pick up one of them just plain run at u blitz is for the offense to pick up

psubills62
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Honestly, Buffalo's blitzes have been more varied this year than last. They just aren't working (except against Philadelphia).

I remember last year Ingtar complained about how our blitzes were always as obvious as you can get. When I've watched the Bills, I've seen them mix it up a bit more. Not everyone that rushes to the line is blitzing, they sometimes do that and then back off into coverage. It's improving, but still not good enough.

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I still don't understand why they aren't trying to stunt the ILB and OLB more on blitzes. If they can do that effectively and then zone off of it, it would be very difficult for a QB to predict what we are doing in that circumstance.

methos4ever
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
I still don't understand why they aren't trying to stunt the ILB and OLB more on blitzes. If they can do that effectively and then zone off of it, it would be very difficult for a QB to predict what we are doing in that circumstance.
I honestly think some of it is the speed of the OLB's and the gimpy nature of Barnett. If he's a little healthier after the bye, I think a lot of the loops (Pirates, Inside backer crosses, etc) can be used well with Shepp.

trapezeus
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
i'd like to see the bills do more muddle huddle/sugar rush stuff. Since their 4 linemen are fairly atheletic, why not have them standing up and moving around. couldn't hurt too much to try and throw off blocking assignments.

methos4ever
10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
i'd like to see the bills do more muddle huddle/sugar rush stuff. Since their 4 linemen are fairly atheletic, why not have them standing up and moving around. couldn't hurt too much to try and throw off blocking assignments.
They did it a lot the last week or so of training camp that was public. Maybe they're saving it for the AFCE tilt? Or perhaps they're having issues with players getting it?

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM

I know he was out against NYG, but seems that the opposition's figured out how to play Williams.

I'd fiddle around in practice, putting Dareus at NT and Williams at end. Do that a time or two in a favorable field position or long 3rd down situation and see if shows any promise.

As to BUF's lb corps - it's sadly been years since other teams thought of them other than a bunch of fleas hopping here and there. I used to like to post this link when they were still in a 4-3 and had their collection of Tiny Tots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48

Well - not holding my breath, but perhaps they will draft early on, some of the big college names that come up. History says no.

YardRat
10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Eh, can't really agree with that. Happens too often to be mis-timing, more likely part of the scheme trying to confuse a QB into wondering when it's coming and where it's coming from.

Agree with DB though...there doesn't appear to be too much stunting going on, and that's a big reason why we haven't been that successful getting to the QB.

Edwards, when he actually does call blitzes, seems to be limited to trying to fool the offense with sheer numbers but still rushing straight ahead, as opposed to pulling switches, over/unders etc. That's why we need a DC that actually knows what the hell he is doing and what a 34 defense is capable of.

methos4ever
10-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Eh, can't really agree with that. Happens too often to be mis-timing, more likely part of the scheme trying to confuse a QB into wondering when it's coming and where it's coming from.

Agree with DB though...there doesn't appear to be too much stunting going on, and that's a big reason why we haven't been that successful getting to the QB.

Edwards, when he actually does call blitzes, seems to be limited to trying to fool the offense with sheer numbers but still rushing straight ahead, as opposed to pulling switches, over/unders etc. That's why we need a DC that actually knows what the hell he is doing and what a 34 defense is capable of.
Yard you keep saying that, but if players aren't winning one on one battles blitz or not how is that Edwards' fault? If anything the scheme he's running (a variant of Saban's defense) is allowing a guy like Marcell to use his talent this early, instead of learning the defense and playing slow. And if the players aren't timing up their blitz, again that's on them. And a lot of that has to do with the young guys not being smart with it and the vets like Barnett being injured. Shoot, if Kyle and Barnett alone (Merriman notwithstanding) were closer to 90%, the defense as a whole would look a lot better.

I just don't get the Edwards bashing - no offense to you I just strongly disagree.

methos4ever
10-19-2011, 06:45 AM
I know he was out against NYG, but seems that the opposition's figured out how to play Williams.

I'd fiddle around in practice, putting Dareus at NT and Williams at end. Do that a time or two in a favorable field position or long 3rd down situation and see if shows any promise.

As to BUF's lb corps - it's sadly been years since other teams thought of them other than a bunch of fleas hopping here and there. I used to like to post this link when they were still in a 4-3 and had their collection of Tiny Tots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48

Well - not holding my breath, but perhaps they will draft early on, some of the big college names that come up. History says no.

Recent history with Nix (last two drafts) says they might though. In fact, if available, I'd assume our first round pick will be either a player from Bama, LSU or UNC. Given the visits to those games and the Bama players' familiarity with the scheme (and their talent), it make too much sense not to.

Edit - Apologies for not citing DB on the scouting visits!

DraftBoy
10-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Recent history with Nix (last two drafts) says they might though. In fact, if available, I'd assume our first round pick will be either a player from Bama, LSU or UNC. Given the visits to those games and the Bama players' familiarity with the scheme (and their talent), it make too much sense not to.

For those that don't venture into the Scouting Zone much by visits he means, here are the games that have been reported as having Bills scouts attending;
http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/bills-scouts-games-attended/

UNC-3
South Carolina-2
UK-2
Louisville-2

RedEyE
10-19-2011, 07:57 AM
The scheme itself seems to simplistic and is very much perdictable. I would also like to believe that its an execution issue from the players as this can be corrected. What worries me is that its not and Edwards and 'The Stache' are dumbing it down - for whatever reason.

methos4ever
10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
The scheme itself seems to simplistic and is very much perdictable. I would also like to believe that its an execution issue from the players as this can be corrected. What worries me is that its not and Edwards and 'The Stache' are dumbing it down - for whatever reason.
I just heard on Sirius Belicheck talking about why he went to a 4-3 this year primarily instead of the 3-4 and he said essentially that with the shortened off-season, teaching younger players the nuances intrinsic in the 3-4 would have been impossible.

Maybe you're onto something Red. They might have dumbed it down a little to make sure people could at least execute it...

psubills62
10-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I just heard on Sirius Belicheck talking about why he went to a 4-3 this year primarily instead of the 3-4 and he said essentially that with the shortened off-season, teaching younger players the nuances intrinsic in the 3-4 would have been impossible.

Maybe you're onto something Red. They might have dumbed it down a little to make sure people could at least execute it...
I'm sure that's been a part of it, but the Patriots have been moving to a 4-3 the last couple of years. I think they played something like 70-80% of their snaps in the 4-3 last year. Then again, related to your point, they could have done that because they've drafted a ton of young defensive players recently.

madness
10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
We need a Chan Gailey for a DC.

better days
10-19-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm sure that's been a part of it, but the Patriots have been moving to a 4-3 the last couple of years. I think they played something like 70-80% of their snaps in the 4-3 last year. Then again, related to your point, they could have done that because they've drafted a ton of young defensive players recently.

Yeah & the Patriots* defense has gone downhill the last couple years as well.

YardRat
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Yard you keep saying that, but if players aren't winning one on one battles blitz or not how is that Edwards' fault? If anything the scheme he's running (a variant of Saban's defense) is allowing a guy like Marcell to use his talent this early, instead of learning the defense and playing slow. And if the players aren't timing up their blitz, again that's on them. And a lot of that has to do with the young guys not being smart with it and the vets like Barnett being injured. Shoot, if Kyle and Barnett alone (Merriman notwithstanding) were closer to 90%, the defense as a whole would look a lot better.

I just don't get the Edwards bashing - no offense to you I just strongly disagree.

Winning in the trenches, more specifically the pass rush, isn't all about one-on-one battles and who wins/loses man-on-man. It's about creating mismatches, causing confusion, and putting your players in spots where they can use their skills to succeed.

Edwards blitz packages, as I said before, appear to be pretty simple and based on guessing 'who' and maybe 'when', but never 'where from and where to'. Line 'em up, everybody that rushes goes straight up field and those that don't drop back. No stunts, no counters, etc. It doesn't take long for an offensive lineman to read/react who's coming and who he's supposed to block if they're coming at them straight on. All vertical movement...easy to adapt to and counter.

George needs to incorporate more horizontal/angle movement & motion in his blitzes to create more doubt and confusion on the offensive line...make them guess 'where from and where to' along with 'who' and 'when'. That's a strength of the 34, if you know how to utilize it.