PDA

View Full Version : Carson Palmer to Raiders

FlyingDutchman
10-18-2011, 09:53 AM
For at least 1, first round pick...and possibly another 1st round pick....Is Al Davis still running stuff from the grave???? What a buncha morons...what leverage did Cincy have exactly?? Carson has been regressing and sitting on his butt for the last 10 months....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7118158/oakland-raiders-verge-getting-carson-palmer-cincinnati-bengals-sources-say

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Big pickup but 2 1st's? Yikes...

psubills62
10-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Palmer's more of a great name than a great player. His play really tailed off the last couple of years.

If only the Dolphins had made this trade.

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Palmer's more of a great name than a great player. His play really tailed off the last couple of years.

Im curious to see this, I know at least two people who are well connected to the NFL that think Carson's game is still top notch but he lost all motivation the last few years to even try.

Whether that's true or not...who knows?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Just when I thought the Bills have a chance for playoff this year, this happens.

Let's face it, the Bills are not going to win the division from the Pats. I figured one wild card will come from the Steelers/Ravens (just look at their schedule. The Bills need to beat the Jets and I think they have a legit shot. But the Chargers and the Raiders are very much in the picture.

Billz_fan
10-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Good trade for the Raiders, may not pay off this season but Carson will be one of those guys who finds late career good fortune. Book it :D

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Palmer's an extremely nice fellow and competitor - but since he got the knee crushed, and then that elbow, he has chronically tossed a high ball. One of his signature plays is the late 1st and 2nd half 30 - 40 yard+ pass to the right sideline - which is picked off.

CIN tossed money Laverneus Coles' way when Houshmandzadeh left. After scooting off with a fistful, Coles observed that "Carson likes tall receivers..."

I would have to say, however, that Palmer labored under one of the worst OCs ever - Bob Bratkowski.

He got a hand injury last season early, and managed to hand off with his right hand without a miscue. Impressive.

Too bad he got drafted by CIN. It was like Stanley Kowalski saying to Stella in A Streetcar Named Desire - "I coulda' been a contender".

psubills62
10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Im curious to see this, I know at least two people who are well connected to the NFL that think Carson's game is still top notch but he lost all motivation the last few years to even try.

It seems to make logical sense.

In the end, how much of a difference will Palmer make this year for the Raiders? He'll need to learn the playbook. Also, I'm not sure Oakland's system is really that much of a fit for him, as it's predicated a lot on the deep passes, from what I remember.

Skooby
10-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Carson has years to play, it's his contract cost that is scary.

imbondz
10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Palmer got screwwwwed in Cindy. I hate the Raiders, but hope Palmer succeeds

PromoTheRobot
10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
They could have traded 2 #1s for Andrew Luck.

PTR

FlyingDutchman
10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Just when I thought the Bills have a chance for playoff this year, this happens.

Let's face it, the Bills are not going to win the division from the Pats. I figured one wild card will come from the Steelers/Ravens (just look at their schedule. The Bills need to beat the Jets and I think they have a legit shot. But the Chargers and the Raiders are very much in the picture.

We should be able to get 2 wins from the Phins and at least 1 from the Jets which would put us at 7 wins right there...If we win 2-3 more outside of those games (which is very doable) we should easily have a good shot to make it

ddaryl
10-18-2011, 10:20 AM
He was never going to play another down for Cincy.. Cincy holding out paid dividends I guess.

I see it setting back Oakland in the long run as they lost 2 1st rd picks

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow smart move by the Bengels

Possibly also a great move by the Raiders... They have a great RB and a tough defense.

Stewie
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Unless that second conditional only becomes a first in the even of a super bowl victory, they overpaid. Big time.

If it ends up being a 1st and a 4th or higher, then it's not too terrible. But still not great for an organization that loves giving away draft picks.

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 10:34 AM

PTR

Wouldn't be enough to get Luck.

dannyek71
10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I'd have given MAYBE a 4th for the guy. But 2 firsts? Cincy won big for sure.

better days
10-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Palmer got screwwwwed in Cindy. I hate the Raiders, but hope Palmer succeeds

The Raiders are the perfect foe. The Raiders team & fans bring excitement to the game. I'm very happy the Bucs got their Super Bowl win over the legendary Raiders rather than a team like the Jets or Ravens.

Bill Cody
This is a joke right?

DraftBoy
It seems to make logical sense.

In the end, how much of a difference will Palmer make this year for the Raiders? He'll need to learn the playbook. Also, I'm not sure Oakland's system is really that much of a fit for him, as it's predicated a lot on the deep passes, from what I remember.

Well from what I understand Oakland's system isn't something that will take him long to get used to. Jackson was at USC the same time Carson was, he was his QB coach.

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 10:48 AM

That would be quite a stretch.

Bert102176
10-18-2011, 10:52 AM
he def. isn't worth a number 1 or 2nd imo

methos4ever
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Well from what I understand Oakland's system isn't something that will take him long to get used to. Jackson was at USC the same time Carson was, he was his QB coach.
And he was known back before the injuries as a "human juggs machine".

OpIv37
10-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Did anyone hear that tap sound?

it's Al Davis' thumbs- up thumping against the top of his coffin.

OpIv37
10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Unless that second conditional only becomes a first in the even of a super bowl victory, they overpaid. Big time.

If it ends up being a 1st and a 4th or higher, then it's not too terrible. But still not great for an organization that loves giving away draft picks.

The Raiders highest draft pick next year is a 5th rounder.

Ouch.

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 11:24 AM

Ouch.

They will land 1-2 conditional mid round picks due to FA loss.

Mr. Miyagi
10-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Did anyone hear that tap sound?

it's Al Davis' thumbs- up thumping against the top of his coffin.
You sure it's his thumb?

OpIv37
10-18-2011, 11:32 AM
You sure it's his thumb?

at his age, yes.

Unless the rigor mortis is setting in.

sdbillsfan2
10-18-2011, 11:35 AM

PTR

valid point !

mrbojanglezs
10-18-2011, 11:47 AM
The raiders must really have no faith in their scouting department

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Ouch.

Stop the presses! : - )

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-mum-on-trade-report/30f22055-e84b-4a25-b587-9c6c31cb01db

Mr. Miyagi
10-18-2011, 11:49 AM
What a bunch of idiots over in Oakland.

Mike Brown is laughing all the way up the draft board.

RedEyE
10-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Well played Cincy!! It was only a matter of time before some desperate team needed a QB. Cincy played this one quite well.

How many seasons in Oakland before Palmer loses his motivation/competitive edge there as well?

RedEyE
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
You sure it's his thumb?

:rofl:

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Well played Cincy!! It was only a matter of time before some desperate team needed a QB. Cincy played this one quite well.

How many seasons in Oakland before Palmer loses his motivation/competitive edge there as well?

They only need him for 1-2, they fully intend to give Pryor a shot at QB.

JoeMama
10-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Hue Jackson on trade: "We're excited to give up a first rounder for a washed up quarterback. Al would have wanted this way."

TheBrownBear
10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Unbelievably dumb trade by Oakland. Worst trade I've seen since the Ricky Williams fiasco.

better days
10-18-2011, 12:09 PM
They only need him for 1-2, they fully intend to give Pryor a shot at QB.

You don't give up as much as the Raiders did for 1-2 years. If Pryor develops in 3-4 years it would be great for the Raiders, but I doubt that happens.

psubills62
10-18-2011, 12:14 PM
The conditional is reportedly a second round pick that becomes a first rounder if Oakland wins a playoff game. Not sure if that playoff game could be in 2011 or 2012, or if it's just 2011.

DraftBoy
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
You don't give up as much as the Raiders did for 1-2 years. If Pryor develops in 3-4 years it would be great for the Raiders, but I doubt that happens.

I dont disagree, just pointing Oakland only sees him as a 1-2 year option.

Skooby
10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
If the Raiders don't get a playoff win, the 2013 pick will be a second-rounder. They get the 2012 first-round pick regardless. Either way, it's an exceedingly high pricetag for a quarterback that was a shell of the Pro Bowl player he once was when last seen on the field. In 2010, Palmer threw 26 touchdowns against 20 interceptions and his arm strength was a major liability.

$16.25 Million for 2011
$16.25 M for 2012
$17.75 M for 2013
$18.75 M for 2014

LOL, this is for Carson Palmer. We're going to owe Fitz a Brinks truck of money.

trapezeus
10-18-2011, 12:33 PM
draftboy, quick, can you tell me who the most troubled player is that is most likely a second round pick for this coming April's draft? I just want to get an idea of who Cincy is going to waste that extra pick on. Thanks!

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I dont disagree, just pointing Oakland only sees him as a 1-2 year option.

Sans tv blackouts (never went to a b'gals game - the thought of tossing $ to owner Brown is gagging), I've seen every pass he tossed in his career. For various reasons, his physical skills, once exemplar, are now just good.

My guess is that that's enough for OAK. I'm surprised about talk that it will take time for him to get with the Raider's scheme - he's seen it all.

A deal with OAK makes sense to me. Their HC Hue Jackson was a long-time wr coach with CIN. They let him walk - dumb move - he was a fine wr coach.

I can't tell folks how much Palmer was crippled by his career-long arch-idiot OC Bratkowski. Who Brown let go only after his contract was up - that's Brown's way.

A 12 year-old kid rolling around on the carpet and picking his nose was able to predict their plays. For years.

Bill Cody
10-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I am astonished at what the Raiders are giving up. Palmer is at the very least on the back nine of his career. No chance I would have given up a 1st for him never mind 2.

stuckincincy
10-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I am astonished at what the Raiders are giving up. Palmer is at the very least on the back nine of his career. No chance I would have given up a 1st for him never mind 2.

All so.

But I admire OAK for making a move to shore things up after their qb woes this week, and go for a shot at another SB regardless.

Perhaps it's a "win for Al Davis' legacy" thing.

Now it certainly could blow up in the Raider's faces.

But remember, there were no lack of posters here that wrung hands if Palmer were to have been dished off to MIA a while back...

Philagape
10-18-2011, 01:22 PM
This is the best tribute of all to Al Davis.

ServoBillieves
10-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Palmer, Campbell, Pryor, Boller...

... Hmm...

That's a lot of big names with not much credentials... What is to become of either Campbell or Pryor? Boller is gone, but... well damn let's see...

BertSquirtgum
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
LOL, this is for Carson Palmer. We're going to owe Fitz a Brinks truck of money.

umm, no.

Skooby
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
umm, no.

Ummm, he's one of the top 10 QB's in the league. They don't grow QB's with experience & the only one's like Palmer that have a chance to be decent come at a huge cost. Did you watch Miami's QB situation this season, they have a problem if they even win a game if they plan on getting Luck.

I'd think before rolling our great QB for making a few bad throws, he's human & may have been hurt as well.

Bill Cody
10-18-2011, 02:02 PM
All so.

But I admire OAK for making a move to shore things up after their qb woes this week, and go for a shot at another SB regardless.

Perhaps it's a "win for Al Davis' legacy" thing.

Now it certainly could blow up in the Raider's faces.

But remember, there were no lack of posters here that wrung hands if Palmer were to have been dished off to MIA a while back...

Oakland in the SB?:laughing:

Luisito23
10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
1. Carson Palmer hasn’t played yet this season and is now stepping into a new scheme and line-up. Whether or not he’s worked with Hue Jackson in the past or not, Palmer might be a veteran, but everything takes time to get moving.

2. The Raiders didn’t need to make a move. They already had Jason Campbell coming back in six weeks and the schedule until his return includes the Chiefs, Broncos, Vikings and a bye week. You see a need to make a major move there. A headless team with Boller under center could go 3-2 in that stretch.

3. They’re giving up a first round pick in 2011 and a second round choice. Did Bill Belichick become the GM of the Bengals this morning? This is a major draft haul (remember Richard Seymour cost a first rounder alone for a defensive end with much left in the tank).

4. Carson Palmer went 4-12 last season.

5. Carson Palmer threw 20 interceptions to 26 touchdowns last season.

6. The Raiders have speed receivers, but Pro Football Focus notes that Palmer was only “16 of 54 on shots 20+ yards down field.”

7. Carson Palmer’s career record is 46-51 and is turning 32 this year.

How anyone thinks this is a good move by the Raiders is beyond me.

BertSquirtgum
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Ummm, he's one of the top 10 QB's in the league. They don't grow QB's with experience & the only one's like Palmer that have a chance to be decent come at a huge cost. Did you watch Miami's QB situation this season, they have a problem if they even win a game if they plan on getting Luck.

I'd think before rolling our great QB for making a few bad throws, he's human & may have been hurt as well.

Fitzpatrick is not great. He has been made serviceable by Chan. Imagine what Chan could do with an amazing talent at QB.

Bill Cody
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Ummm, he's one of the top 10 QB's in the league.

No he isn't. Matter of opinion but here's my top 20 if you asked me to pick based on trying to win right now, other than Peyton Manning of course.

1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Tom Brady
3) Peyton Manning
4) Drew Brees
5) Ben Rothlisberger
6) Michael Vick
7) Phillip Rivers
8) Matt Ryan
9) Joe Flacco
10) Eli Manning
11) Josh Freeman
12) Jay Cutler
13) Tony Romo
14) Matt Stafford
15) Ryan Fitzpatrick
16) Cam Newton
17) Carson Palmer
18) Matt Schaub
19) Mark Sanchez
20 Colt McCoy

Skooby
10-18-2011, 02:29 PM
No he isn't. Matter of opinion but here's my top 20 if you asked me to pick based on trying to win right now, other than Peyton Manning of course.

1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Tom Brady
3) Peyton Manning
4) Drew Brees
5) Ben Rothlisberger
6) Michael Vick
7) Phillip Rivers
8) Matt Ryan
9) Joe Flacco
10) Eli Manning
11) Josh Freeman
12) Jay Cutler
13) Tony Romo
14) Matt Stafford
15) Ryan Fitzpatrick
16) Cam Newton
17) Carson Palmer
18) Matt Schaub
19) Mark Sanchez
20 Colt McCoy

I'd like to see how many of your top 15 make the playoffs, not that your wrong to have an opinion but Fitz is playing at a very high level regardless of a few bad throws.

Skooby
10-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Fitzpatrick is not great. He has been made serviceable by Chan. Imagine what Chan could do with an amazing talent at QB.

Imagine being 4-2 & having a weaker schedule in front of you than the one you just played.

BertSquirtgum
10-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Imagine being 4-2 & having a weaker schedule in front of you than the one you just played.

Is there a point you're trying to get at with this? If your point is that the Bills aren't making the playoffs, then I agree.

Skooby
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Is there a point you're trying to get at with this? If your point is that the Bills aren't making the playoffs, then I agree.

Bills already played the toughest part of their schedule up until this point, the remaining opponents have worse records than the one's we have already played. Everything being equal, our 3 point losses should start turning into wins. Your squaking about Fitz's failures & the team failing makes 0 sense, find a better sounding board.

kingJofNYC
10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I know the Bengals just drafted Dalton, but man could this set them up for making a run at Luck. Could trade picks and still not lose a lot because of this deal.

ServoBillieves
10-18-2011, 02:47 PM

1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Tom Brady
3) Peyton Manning
4) Drew Brees
5) Ben Rothlisberger
6) Michael Vick
7) Phillip Rivers
8) Matt Ryan
9) Joe Flacco
10) Eli Manning
11) Josh Freeman
12) Jay Cutler
13) Tony Romo
14) Matt Stafford
15) Ryan Fitzpatrick
16) Cam Newton
17) Carson Palmer
18) Matt Schaub
19) Mark Sanchez
20 Colt McCoy

Been waiting to do this for MONTHS!

1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Peyton Manning
3) Tom Brady
4) Drew Brees
5) Philip Rivers
6) Joe Flacco
7) Matthew Stafford
8) Ben Roethlisberger
9) Michael Vick
10) Ryan Fitzpatrick (yes, I consider him top 10)
11) Jay Cutler
12) Matt Schaub
13) Eli Manning
14) Matt Ryan
15) Tony Romo

Nobody else has impressed me, and honestly Palmer will be ridiculously rusty after this trade. This is this year, and I do realize Peyton hasn't played but there is no denying what he does on the football field.

That being said, that's my point. Both Palmer and Manning haven't played this year, but Manning to this day still deserves to be a top quarterback. Palmer puts up the numbers, and he's the proverbial "USC QB who must be good because he's from USC!" BS (How has that worked out Sanch and Leinart?).

I want to see what he can do, I really am a fan of the Raiders this season with what they've been impressively doing. I would put my Bills against Palmer all day, though.

Mr. Pink
10-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Campbell is done for the year, that's the leverage Cincy had.

What was Oakland gonna do start Kyle Boller for the rest of the year?

better days
10-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I know the Bengals just drafted Dalton, but man could this set them up for making a run at Luck. Could trade picks and still not lose a lot because of this deal.

If Dalton keeps playing as he has, the Bengals don't need Luck.

ServoBillieves
10-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Cinci - 4-2 Andy Dalton, Cedric Benson, Defense
Raiders - 4-2 Carson Palmer, Darren McFadden, Defense

Dolphins - 0-5 Matt Moore, Reggie Bush, Brandon Marshall
Colts - 0-6 Curtis Painter, Reggie Wayne, Delone Carter
Vikings - 1-5 Ponder, All Day, Defense
Cardinals - 1-5 Kevin Kolb, Larry Fitzgerald, uh...

Well, you put that together as to who is going to be at the #1 spot.

AKA no, the Bengals will not get Luck, and you should pay more attention. The Raiders nor the Bengals will be in the top 3, mark my words. If Luck falls out of the #1 spot, then yes they might, but as for now, no, NEITHER team will be picking first in April, and it's not even worth thinking about that.

YardRat
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Very dumb trade by Oakland, IMO. This trade is going to bite them in the ass, big time.

stuckincincy
10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I've been reading that they might start him KC@OAK this Sunday.

Bold move - Palmer's seen it all, but he's always been pretty much a qb that wants/needs to work out timing with his receivers.

I wonder what kind of plan OAK's OC has in mind?

better days
10-20-2011, 04:46 PM
I've been reading that they might start him KC@OAK this Sunday.

Bold move - Palmer's seen it all, but he's always been pretty much a qb that wants/needs to work out timing with his receivers.

I wonder what kind of plan OAK's OC has in mind?

I heard on the radio yesterday that the OC in Oakland said if Palmer is breathing, he is playing.

BertSquirtgum
10-20-2011, 05:02 PM
They must really think highly of kyle boller.

better days
10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
They must really think highly of kyle boller.

A theory I heard was if Boller starts & plays well, it would cause problems in the locker room. If Palmer has a bad game they can just say he needs more time & with the bye coming up after this week.

Oaf
10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
A theory I heard was if Boller starts & plays well, it would cause problems in the locker room. If Palmer has a bad game they can just say he needs more time & with the bye coming up after this week.
Makes sense.