PDA

View Full Version : I Just have to root for Rams and Colts for the Luck Sweepstake

ghz in pittsburgh
10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
In Rams' case, the top pick will be open for bid. And I'm willing to give the farm for it.

In Colts' case, I think Peyton becomes available - I don't think he'll take it well to keep the seat warm for Luck and Polian is too classy to not grant Manning's wish. I'd do everything in our power to make that trade happen.

Mski
10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
if the bengals were able to get possibly 2 1st for palmer, i want nothing to do with trading up for luck, or manning

justasportsfan
10-19-2011, 01:57 PM
And I'm willing to give the farm for it.

In Colts' case, I think Peyton becomes available - I don't think he'll take it well to keep the seat warm for Luck and Polian is too classy to not grant Manning's wish. I'd do everything in our power to make that trade happen .

You would but Nix wont.

G Wolly
10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
In Colts' case, I think Peyton becomes available - I don't think he'll take it well to keep the seat warm for Luck and Polian is too classy to not grant Manning's wish. I'd do everything in our power to make that trade happen.

Why wouldn't he take it well having Luck under him? It makes more sense the other way around that Luck wouldn't wanna sit under Manning.

I've said before I don't follow the kid or know too much, but I can assume he wants to be able to come in and be the starting guy like Newton did this season.

However if I were him and went to Indy, I'd sit under Peyton for a couple of seasons and love it. Get acquainted with the game. Learn from one of the best QBs in the league today and possibly ever.

Then Peyton gets hurt and Luck takes over. We pick up Peyton i.e. Bledsoe, and his career dies in Buffalo.

justasportsfan
10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
the colts would love to have Peyton 2.0 and who better to teach him than Peyton 1.0

The Jokeman
10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
if the bengals were able to get possibly 2 1st for palmer, i want nothing to do with trading up for luck, or manning
Dalton is far from Luck but I think the Bengals could do better things with Dalton and two #1s than they would with Luck. In terms of the Bills, I think if we could find a legitimate pass rusher things could turn around quickly if we can keep Fitz away from pressure and retain him, Stevie and Freddie.

DraftBoy
10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Said it befor and Ill say it again, somebody will Ditka their draft to get Luck.

justasportsfan
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Said it befor and Ill say it again, somebody will Ditka their draft to get Luck.

Panthers

Mudflap1
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
With the Colts, it has nothing to do with Manning wanting to be a tutor or not to Luck. The Colts negotiated their new deal with Manning to where they can cut him after the season and not owe him anymore money. However, if they don't cut him by a certain point after the season, they owe him $20+ million and his contract going forward. If they have the No. 1 pick and choose Luck, there is a good chance they'll just cut bait with Manning to save all that cash, and move on with Luck.

Mr. Miyagi
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Judging by the MO of each team's FO, who will likely be that team?

Miami, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Dallas, Washington, San Francisco, and Seattle are all in play.

imbondz
10-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I think it's a total fallacy that veteran QBs mentor the teams top draft pick. makes no sense to. Why would the starting QB want to help make the new kid better, knowing that when he is, he's taking his job?

The Jokeman
10-19-2011, 02:19 PM
If not for the Romo contract the Cowboys seem like a team that could. Yet I can't see the Dolphins giving up the top spot of the draft.

Ed
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
You know Luck doesn't have to come out this year. If the Colts end up with the first pick, Luck could just play another year at Stanford. And if I'm Andrew Luck I would just go back to Stanford then put myself in an awkward position and be stuck behind Manning for 2-3 years.

The Jokeman
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
I think it's a total fallacy that veteran QBs mentor the teams top draft pick. makes no sense to. Why would the starting QB want to help make the new kid better, knowing that when he is, he's taking his job?
To pass on his Legacy. That said you're right in today's NFL that isn't likely going to happen. Yet today's NFL might be different than yesterdays NFL due to the new CBA teams might take longer to develop QBs and that's why we saw as many QBs taken in Round 1 this past year.

imbondz
10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
To pass on his Legacy. That said you're right in today's NFL that isn't likely going to happen. Yet today's NFL might be different than yesterdays NFL due to the new CBA teams might take longer to develop QBs and that's why we saw as many QBs taken in Round 1 this past year.

So Rodgers is Favres legacy. I just don't think it ever works that way

methos4ever
10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
If anyone is going to Ditka their way to luck, I'd say it's Jerruh and the Cowboys. Local kid and all that...

imbondz
10-19-2011, 02:31 PM
You know Luck doesn't have to come out this year. If the Colts end up with the first pick, Luck could just play another year at Stanford. And if I'm Andrew Luck I would just go back to Stanford then put myself in an awkward position and be stuck behind Manning for 2-3 years.

No doubt hes coming out this year. He'll pull an Eli Manning or Elway before waiting another year

The Jokeman
10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
So Rodgers is Favres legacy. I just don't think it ever works that way
Rodgers will be lumped into Favre's legacy when people forget and/or want to Cantonize (bad pun I know) Brett.

The Jokeman
10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
No doubt hes coming out this year. He'll pull an Eli Manning or Elway before waiting another year
and in retrospect it appears Eli and Elway were right in what they did. As what has Rivers and/or the Chargers done? Yes better statistical numbers but no one can take away Eli's title with the Giants. That said I can't see Luck bad mouthing the Dolphins if they own the top spot. Now if it was the Bills or Browns one could argue.

ddaryl
10-19-2011, 02:42 PM
If the rams win the sweepstakes then it is up for bid, and yes I would love to see Buffalo try to move up for Luck

If the Colts win Peyton will stick around for a year maybe 2 then retire..

If Miami wins the luck sweepstakes its a no brainer, they'll take him

I'm rooting for St Louis to lose out

I seriously doubt Luck would stay at Stanford if it meant sitting behind Peyton for a year or 2.. Being behind Peyton would be a phenomenal way to learn the pro game

Mski
10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
if i were Luck i absolutely would want to be drafted by the colts.... still get whatever #1 pick max salary is, not likely to have to take a regular season snap for 2-3 years, and i truely believe that peyton is the "teaching type" and will likely go right to coaching after he retires. I dont think luck would have to worry about the farve v rodgers issues

Mr. Miyagi
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
So the Colts would use a #1 overall pick on a guy that they sit on the bench for 2 years?

Mski
10-19-2011, 03:12 PM
So the Colts would use a #1 overall pick on a guy that they sit on the bench for 2 years?yes, and their owner even said he would

The Jokeman
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
So the Colts would use a #1 overall pick on a guy that they sit on the bench for 2 years?
It's called forethought. Amazing what looking at the draft as a way to acquire talent versus filling need can help you develop a better team.

justasportsfan
10-19-2011, 03:16 PM
the Packers did it and got great results. With the way Rodgers is playing he may win more sb's than Farve .

Syderick
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Miami is going to draft him. All the other teams have drafted a QB in the last 2 years in the in first or second rounds. Colts may get him, but this year shows a good indication that they need to get players at other positions to help Manning.

Philagape
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Like Aaron Rodgers?
He was a steal later in the first round, but I don't think the Packers would regret even using No. 1 overall on him if they had.

Skooby
10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
That new Colts stadium ain't going to pay for itself, they need winners in there. Luck looks like a winner.

better days
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM

So you would rather go to a REALLY BAD team & get killed from day one than to go to a good team like the Colts & sit for a couple years behind one of the greatest QB's to ever play in the NFL?

DraftBoy
10-20-2011, 07:10 AM
yes, and their owner even said he would

No he didn't. He said he'd consider it.

better days
10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Miami is going to draft him. All the other teams have drafted a QB in the last 2 years in the in first or second rounds. Colts may get him, but this year shows a good indication that they need to get players at other positions to help Manning.

If anything this year shows how important Manning is to that team. Manning has had the Colts win the division many times with worse teams than this years team aside from his loss.

trapezeus
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
You would but Nix wont.

i don't know if that is true. i think nix would if the player was exactly what he wanted.

Extremebillsfan247
10-20-2011, 09:33 AM
In Rams' case, the top pick will be open for bid. And I'm willing to give the farm for it.

In Colts' case, I think Peyton becomes available - I don't think he'll take it well to keep the seat warm for Luck and Polian is too classy to not grant Manning's wish. I'd do everything in our power to make that trade happen. First, if the Rams get #1 overall, my money is on their pick being Justin Blackmon. Second, if the Colts get #1 and take Luck, it generally means Peyton Manning's NFL career is over. That's a long contract Manning is sitting on with the Colts. They wont be drafting a QB unless he is done as a player. He isn't Donovan McNabb. Manning is the cornerstone of that franchise. If he plays at all it will be with Indianapolis which means no Andrew Luck. JMO

stuckincincy
10-20-2011, 09:37 AM

AFAIK, all teams employ a QB coach. I'm sure some vets do help more than others - Jon Kitna comes to mind - but I don't place a strong importance on it.

justasportsfan
10-20-2011, 09:45 AM
i don't know if that is true. i think nix would if the player was exactly what he wanted.
he wouldnt sell the farm especially when they supposedly love Fitz.

Extremebillsfan247
10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Luck will either be a Miami Dolphin, or a Denver Bronco next year. Just a feeling that when the dust settles, it will be between those 2 teams.

psubills62
10-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Luck will either be a Miami Dolphin, or a Denver Bronco next year. Just a feeling that when the dust settles, it will be between those 2 teams.
Well they play each other this week. This is one of Miami's best chances to get a win.

What makes you think the Colts will get enough wins to put themselves out of the race?

Bill Cody
10-20-2011, 11:02 AM
I think Manning will leave the game kicking and screaming like Favre. If I were Luck that's the last place I'd want to go. This mentoring crap is sooo overrated. If Luck wants to play like Peyton he can watch Peyton film to his heart's content. I doubt very much Peyton will be staying after practice to help out a guy gunning for his job. If you think otherwise you're in fantasy world.

Ed
10-20-2011, 11:13 AM
So you would rather go to a REALLY BAD team & get killed from day one than to go to a good team like the Colts & sit for a couple years behind one of the greatest QB's to ever play in the NFL?
The Colts are a good team? Without Manning they look like a REALLY BAD team to me. The Colts are only a good team if Manning is playing and Luck isn't going to be playing if Manning is there. And who said Manning is going to retire in a year or two? What if he wants to play another 5 years and continues to play at a high level? So yeah, if I'm Luck I'd rather go to a team that doesn't have a franchise qb legend with a long term deal.

Extremebillsfan247
10-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Well they play each other this week. This is one of Miami's best chances to get a win.

What makes you think the Colts will get enough wins to put themselves out of the race? I didn't say they would. However, the ONLY way the Colts are drafting Luck is if Manning retires. That organization has far too much invested in him to draft a QB if he is still on the team as its franchise QB. If they get the #1 overall pick, they will either trade out of it, or Andrew Luck wont be the first player off the board next April. JMO

stuckincincy
10-20-2011, 11:39 AM
IND has been platooning DEs Mathis and Freeney. If I were a player, I wouldn't report an injury lest they cut me or put me on IR.

This is the outfit that year after year, laid down if their play-off seed was sewed up. Even if it cost a perfect regular season.

They were the reason why the league bumped the schedule towards more intra-division games later in the season.

He's a nice fellow, I'm sure - but Curtis Painter at the helm? :birds:

better days
10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
The Colts are a good team? Without Manning they look like a REALLY BAD team to me. The Colts are only a good team if Manning is playing and Luck isn't going to be playing if Manning is there. And who said Manning is going to retire in a year or two? What if he wants to play another 5 years and continues to play at a high level? So yeah, if I'm Luck I'd rather go to a team that doesn't have a franchise qb legend with a long term deal.

Have you watched any of their games? The defense looks better than it has in quite a while & the offense just needs a QB.

Nobody knows if Manning can even come back from this injury, but if he does, Favre was traded & so was Montana.

better days
10-20-2011, 12:02 PM
IND has been platooning DEs Mathis and Freeney. If I were a player, I wouldn't report an injury lest they cut me or put me on IR.

This is the outfit that year after year, laid down if their play-off seed was sewed up. Even if it cost a perfect regular season.

They were the reason why the league bumped the schedule towards more intra-division games later in the season.

He's a nice fellow, I'm sure - but Curtis Painter at the helm? :birds:

So you would play injured? Then every team in the league would just think you were not any good anymore. They would not know your play declined due to injury. After being cut no other team would pick you up.

Better to be put on IR & get paid or cut & picked up & paid by another team when healthy.

Also, to cut an injured player, the team has to reach an injury settlement with him & pay him.

TigerJ
10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I think you're probably right about the Rams. If they end up with #1 overall, there will be an auction. The problem is the Bills will not be in a great position to bid if they have a pick in the last half of the first round rather than the first half. I'd love to have Manning, but I'd be surprised if Buffalo tried to get him. He's a pure drop back passer, and I believe as good as Manning is, he operates a relatively simple offense that is predicated on his ability to make reads at the LOS. Buffalo has a large number of plays in their offensive scheme, and I'm not sure Buffalo would take a chance on a 35+ year old QB adapting to a system that is radically different from that of the Colts.

I'd still be thrilled if the Rams or Colts won the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, because if one of them wins, Miami does not.

Ed
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Have you watched any of their games? The defense looks better than it has in quite a while & the offense just needs a QB.

Nobody knows if Manning can even come back from this injury, but if he does, Favre was traded & so was Montana.
Yes I have and they've struggled, which is why they are 0-6. Their defense is 27th in yds/g and 28th in pts/g. Their offense is 28th in rushing. Without Manning the Colts just aren't very good. I expected them to be better, but the fact is they're just not very good right now.

I agree that Manning's status is unknown right now and anything could happen, but do you really want to be the guy that got Manning kicked out of town? And I'm not saying the Colts shouldn't take Luck, but my point is if I'm Andrew Luck, going to the Colts would not be my first choice. There are better potential situations or scenarios out there.

better days
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes I have and they've struggled, which is why they are 0-6. Their defense is 27th in yds/g and 28th in pts/g. Their offense is 28th in rushing. Without Manning the Colts just aren't very good. I expected them to be better, but the fact is they're just not very good right now.

I agree that Manning's status is unknown right now and anything could happen, but do you really want to be the guy that got Manning kicked out of town? And I'm not saying the Colts shouldn't take Luck, but my point is if I'm Andrew Luck, going to the Colts would not be my first choice. There are better potential situations or scenarios out there.

Well, the fact the offense is so bad without Manning affects the defense. I agree the Colts are probably not Lucks 1st choice, but I don't think he refuses to come out & not be drafted if they have the 1st pick.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd love to have Manning, but I'd be surprised if Buffalo tried to get him. He's a pure drop back passer, and I believe as good as Manning is, he operates a relatively simple offense that is predicated on his ability to make reads at the LOS. Buffalo has a large number of plays in their offensive scheme, and I'm not sure Buffalo would take a chance on a 35+ year old QB adapting to a system that is radically different from that of the Colts.

I'd still be thrilled if the Rams or Colts won the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, because if one of them wins, Miami does not.

I view Manning and Gailey being a perfect match after seeing our spread offense go, assuming Manning's ego does not get in the way - I heard stories where Manning has a much bigger say in offensive game plan than normal starting QBs in NFL.

In BB.com, people asked Fitz what's the identity of our offense and everyone says it's the spread. To me, it's the uncertainty off the spread. We can run and we can pass out of there. When we pass, there are no dummies/decoys, forcing the defense to defend everyone. I can only imagine if Manning were back there looking for mismatches ...

Ed
10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, the fact the offense is so bad without Manning affects the defense. I agree the Colts are probably not Lucks 1st choice, but I don't think he refuses to come out & not be drafted if they have the 1st pick.
Yeah maybe not, but it is still an option. I'd be surprised if he stayed, but I was surprised last year too.

better days
10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah maybe not, but it is still an option. I'd be surprised if he stayed, but I was surprised last year too.

I think the uncertainity about the new CBA & if a season would even be played may have played a part in Lucks deciding not to come out in the last draft.

TigerJ
10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I view Manning and Gailey being a perfect match after seeing our spread offense go, assuming Manning's ego does not get in the way - I heard stories where Manning has a much bigger say in offensive game plan than normal starting QBs in NFL.

In BB.com, people asked Fitz what's the identity of our offense and everyone says it's the spread. To me, it's the uncertainty off the spread. We can run and we can pass out of there. When we pass, there are no dummies/decoys, forcing the defense to defend everyone. I can only imagine if Manning were back there looking for mismatches ...

In principle, I agree with you. The thing is, what is Indianapolis' asking price? He's 36 now, I think, and just had neck surgery to deal with a problem that could have resulted in paralysis. He's on the shelf this year no matter the fact Indianapolis declined to put him on IR (the last I heard). He'll be 37 next season. Granted, he's probably the premier QB in the league. Does he have tree more years before he retires? Is there a risk of more physical prolems given his age? With all that, what are the Colts going to ask for him? I don't think you can justify giving up a first given a reasonable expectation of no more than three years. Do you give up a second for three years and a chance to win the Super Bowl, which is what you'd be betting on?