PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line has Fitzpatrick's back

justasportsfan
10-21-2011, 10:48 AM
"You'll never hear me complain about Ryan Fitzpatrick as a quarterback," said center Eric Wood. "He's an O-lineman's dream. ... We've got a great empty [backfield] package. Fitz is able to understand when six [rushers] are coming, we obviously can't pick it up. And he does a great job in that regard. Plus we've got probably the best blocking running back in the NFL, who also is second in rushing in the league, which is pretty rare."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article601871.ece

better days
10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
"You'll never hear me complain about Ryan Fitzpatrick as a quarterback," said center Eric Wood. "He's an O-lineman's dream. ... We've got a great empty [backfield] package. Fitz is able to understand when six [rushers] are coming, we obviously can't pick it up. And he does a great job in that regard. Plus we've got probably the best blocking running back in the NFL, who also is second in rushing in the league, which is pretty rare."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article601871.ece

I think before too much longer that Wood will be recognized as the Bills best Center ever.

SpillerThrills
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I think before too much longer that Wood will be recognized as the Bills best Center ever.

it's gonna take a lot for him to pass the late, great, Kent Hull....

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Wood is just as good as Hull was right now.....

better days
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM

Agreed, Kent Hull & Al Bemiller are the two best Bills Centers of all time up to now. I think Wood will be right up there with the two of them & people will argue which was better.

psubills62
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
So far they've had his front too.

The last buffalo fan
10-21-2011, 01:06 PM

That is correct, he is as good as Hull, just the way Fitz is as good as Kelly was.

justasportsfan
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
I like Wood but until he starts disecting defenses like Hull did all the way to 4 sb's , he's not even close yet. Fitz is the one calling out adjustments right now while Hull made a lot of the adjustments at the LOS aside from Kelly.

trapezeus
10-21-2011, 01:49 PM
i had heard that fitz makes most of the calls for the linemen and that the linemen are grateful for fitz's knowledge. i am hoping that wood is a quick learner and that by end of the year, he really feels comfortable with line calls. that might be the difference between being able to plug in random qb's and not.

Buddo
10-21-2011, 02:17 PM

I've seen some pretty dumbass comments on various boards over the years, but that is possibly the best one yet.

Crisis
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM

:laughing:

TigerJ
10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Ultimately it's pretty hard to make comparisons between players from different eras. You can probably argue that Kent Hull should get the nod because he did it over a much longer period, and that he was an important cog in an offensive line that dominated to the tune of going to four Super Bowls. And if Kent Hull was making line calls while Fitz is doing that for Buffalo, you can argue that Hull was more essential than Wood. The bottom line is the two will never have the opportunity to block the same defensive linemen and then to ask those defensive linemen who is the better center blocking. Wood has an opportunity to be a great one, and that's enough for me.

SpillerThrills
10-21-2011, 06:22 PM

Are you drunk, high or both???:laughing:

YardRat
10-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Wood has yet to achieve a level where he can carry Hull's jockstrap, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the event earlier this week.

Anybody that thinks otherwise never saw the team play prior to this century.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2011, 11:22 PM
If Kent Hull played in today's nfl he would have been blown into the backfield by the nose tackles like wolfork each play. I know Hull was good but just because he died you guys don't have to act like he was the best center ever.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Are you drunk, high or both???:laughing:

i am often high on pain pills and occasionally drink.

TrEd FTW
10-22-2011, 02:41 AM
I've seen some pretty dumbass comments on various boards over the years, but that is possibly the best one yet.

Consider the source.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2011, 03:07 AM
You have some major butt hurt.

YardRat
10-22-2011, 06:12 AM
If Kent Hull played in today's nfl he would have been blown into the backfield by the nose tackles like wolfork each play. I know Hull was good but just because he died you guys don't have to act like he was the best center ever.

Bresnehan, although obviously biased, contends Hull was the best center, ever.
Zimmerman, Dr Z from SI and with no reason for bias, put Kent as top 5 for all time.

As I stated before, it has nothing to do with his passing.

Wood isn't in Hull's league yet, it's that simple.

mayotm
10-22-2011, 09:09 AM
If Kent Hull played in today's nfl he would have been blown into the backfield by the nose tackles like wolfork each play. I know Hull was good but just because he died you guys don't have to act like he was the best center ever.Were you even born when Hull played?

Buddo
10-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Bresnehan, although obviously biased, contends Hull was the best center, ever.
Zimmerman, Dr Z from SI and with no reason for bias, put Kent as top 5 for all time.

As I stated before, it has nothing to do with his passing.

Wood isn't in Hull's league yet, it's that simple.

QFT.
The assumption that today's players would always get the better of those of yesteryear, is also misguided. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that some of the players 'of old', if transplanted into today's game, could actually do better than they did before, due to rule changes.

better days
10-22-2011, 10:44 AM
QFT.
The assumption that today's players would always get the better of those of yesteryear, is also misguided. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that some of the players 'of old', if transplanted into today's game, could actually do better than they did before, due to rule changes.

With todays rules, QB's & WR's of the past would benefit. Defensive players would be at a much bigger disadvantage than when they played.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Were you even born when Hull played?
yes, i was 8 years old when the Bills went to their first super bowl and I remember them all. I remember sitting in my aunts house and I called the blocked punt by tasker when they played the cowboys in 93.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2011, 02:44 PM
QFT.

Playing weights....

Kent Hull - 6'5 280
Eric Wood - 6'4 315

35lbs is quite a difference.

casdhf
10-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Fat has clogged the brain

TigerJ
10-25-2011, 09:59 AM
QFT.
The assumption that today's players would always get the better of those of yesteryear, is also misguided. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, that some of the players 'of old', if transplanted into today's game, could actually do better than they did before, due to rule changes.Agreed. It's not like we're breeding players to be bigger, stronger and faster. They are bigger stronger and faster because of advancements in training and nutrition (and unfortunately in some cases 'roids and HGH). If you took players from yesteryear and plunked them down into a modern training and nutrision program, they'd be bigger, stronger and faster too.

thenry20
10-26-2011, 05:59 AM
Wow, you forgot that little RF comparison to JK! I'm sorry I love Ryan but right now he's not even close to Jimbo in his worst years as a Bill.

stuckincincy
10-26-2011, 08:30 AM
QFT.

OTOH - how would today's players fare under old rules?...head slaps, face gouging, crackback blocks, forearm shivers, no special protections for qbs, bump 'n run, goal posts on the goal line etc.

better days
10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
OTOH - how would today's players fare under old rules?...head slaps, face gouging, crackback blocks, forearm shivers, no special protections for qbs, bump 'n run, goal posts on the goal line etc.

The NFL used to be much more physical than it is today. Even the players are complaining they are taking too much physicality out of the game.

Oaf
10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I still maintain Levitre plays at a higher level than Wood.

better days
10-26-2011, 12:59 PM
I still maintain Levitre plays at a higher level than Wood.

Well that is the kind of argument I love to see about the Bills. Which player is playing better, not which sucks more.

We have had far too many of the latter arguments in the past. Especially when it comes to QB's. Nice to have a steady QB like Fitz behind a young improving OL.