X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranoid
    • Sep 2009

Chris Brown on George Edwards

I don't know how to accurately sift through all of the variables of Wannstedt, Edwards, schemes, and injuries, but I do know that I am sick of being an absolute sieve on defense.

Yes, we get turnovers, and that's part of the mix as well.

I am glad that someone at least asked the question of Brown.

I hate the way that our D plays now, and I am wondering if Edwards will be held accountable. Probably not, but our D is frustrating as hell to watch.
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: Chris Brown on George Edwards

I think Chris Brown said what's obvious to anyone who is correctly analyzing our defense.

We are getting torched in the pass game because we are the worst team in the league at getting pressure. Just look how long QBs are sitting in the pocket going over their reads.

Jason Campbell had 3-4 seconds to throw which is an eternity in the NFL. I like our DBs, they're instinctive and athletic.

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

The defense is horrible. We got some earned and a lot of fluke turnovers for a couple weeks to help us win the Eagles and Patriots game but besides that this defense has been pathetic. Turnovers are a rarity and doesn't happen every game.

Dareus hasn't made a huge immediate impact like many thought he would. Some here thought our defense would be Top 10 or 15 just because of him and Carrington/Troupe being second year players. That was just another example of fans overrating their team on hope like nobody else draft players either. We have absolutely no pass rush at all and our CB's are terrible. Florence makes one or two PI penalties every game it seems like.

Between this horrible defense and our offense coming down to earth as just an above average offense and not a powerhouse the dreams of many who thought after a quick start we would be a playoff this team this year are very slim.

Face it we have lost two of our last three and should have lost three in a row if not for the Eagles beating themselves. What's worse it took a 21 point lead and another turnover at the end of the game just to hold onto the game.

We are only 4-2 now after a quick 3-0 start and could just as easily be 2-4. We had a couple extraordinary comebacks that might happen 20% of the time over the long-term.

Then we couldn't even hold on to a 14 point lead against the Bengals. We blew a lead against the Giants too and also gave away the chance to put them away and win the game.

This team is improved but still only around an 8 win team. We still have a lot of holes. I figured around 6-8 wins depending on the breaks, etc.. Some good breaks early in the season should get us to 8 wins. If we don't win that many then it will be a total bust of a season after a quick start.

This team still needs LB's, CB's and another pass rushing defensive end. Whether Dareus ends up as an All-Pro or just an above average player still remains to be seen. He's played okay but he isn't a Suh or any of them types.
      Last edited by BillsFever21; 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• sam5767
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BillsFever21
        The defense is horrible. We got some earned and a lot of fluke turnovers for a couple weeks to help us win the Eagles and Patriots game but besides that this defense has been pathetic. Turnovers are a rarity and doesn't happen every game.

Dareus hasn't made a huge immediate impact like many thought he would. Some here thought our defense would be Top 10 or 15 just because of him and Carrington/Troupe being second year players. That was just another example of fans overrating their team on hope like nobody else draft players either. We have absolutely no pass rush at all and our CB's are terrible. Florence makes one or two PI penalties every game it seems like.

Between this horrible defense and our offense coming down to earth as just an above average offense and not a powerhouse the dreams of many who thought after a quick start we would be a playoff this team this year are very slim.

Face it we have lost two of our last three and should have lost three in a row if not for the Eagles beating themselves. What's worse it took a 21 point lead and another turnover at the end of the game just to hold onto the game.

We are only 4-2 now after a quick 3-0 start and could just as easily be 2-4. We had a couple extraordinary comebacks that might happen 20% of the time over the long-term.

Then we couldn't even hold on to a 14 point lead against the Bengals. We blew a lead against the Giants too and also gave away the chance to put them away and win the game.

This team is improved but still only around an 8 win team. We still have a lot of holes. I figured around 6-8 wins depending on the breaks, etc.. Some good breaks early in the season should get us to 8 wins. If we don't win that many then it will be a total bust of a season after a quick start.

This team still needs LB's, CB's and another pass rushing defensive end. Whether Dareus ends up as an All-Pro or just an above average player still remains to be seen. He's played okay but he isn't a Suh or any of them types.

Our two losses were by 3 points each, both on the road to 4-2 teams. The pats blew 21 point lead against us....it happens. We could easily be 2-4...but also could easily be 6-0.

I agree our defense has been horrid and needs to improve if we want to get to the playoffs...and that we need a better pash rush....but I also feel that Fitzy has established himself as a legit starter, the O line has developed into a legit line, and our skill players can play in this league. Right now, even with awful defense, we are competative...and can beat good teams. This bodes well for our future as now we can focus on real needs, such as pass rushing stud at DE or LB...speed on outside at wr....depth on O line. I like the direction the team is going....and with a few more bounces this season we can win 10 games make the playoffs...
        we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be...
        we shall never surrender...

Comment

• northernbillfan
          Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

I get very frustrated on Sundays watch the Bills D miss tackles left right and centre. If you get your hands on the guy, he should go down. Period.

And it also pisses me off that we always seem to allow long sustained drives. Especially clock killing drives that force Fitz and company to hurry up and try to get into scoring position. This leads to the errors we saw in last weeks game.

The team is a few key pieces away from being elite.

While I am not holding my breath for a playoff spot, it is exciting to watch the Bills again. And that's something we haven't had for a long time.
          When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• paranoid
            • Sep 2009

Good points all. I don't see any immediate actions being taken against Edwards. Certainly not during a good (4-2) start to the season and on a young team still building its identity with a pretty good turnover ratio.

I do wonder if Edwards will end up getting the heat for this defense that can't get off the field, or if anyone will at the end of the season. There is supposedly a culture of accountability on the team now, so it will be interesting to see how that works out. Of course, much depends on how we do from here on out as well.

It seems like forever since we had a good, hard-nosed, punishing, hate-to-play-them defense that I always used to associate with the Bills.

Comment

• JCBills
              • Jan 2010

We could also easily be 6-0.

Too long, didn't read.
              Last edited by JCBills; 10-22-2011, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

whos up for a fire george edwards billboard
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                  I think Chris Brown said what's obvious to anyone who is correctly analyzing our defense.

We are getting torched in the pass game because we are the worst team in the league at getting pressure. Just look how long QBs are sitting in the pocket going over their reads.

Jason Campbell had 3-4 seconds to throw which is an eternity in the NFL. I like our DBs, they're instinctive and athletic.
                  That works both ways...We're not getting sufficient pass rush because our secondary can't cover anybody for more than a second-and-a-half and the rushers aren't given any time to get to the QB.

Everybody thought the secondary was a strength because of yards against and a statistical ranking, ignoring the fact that teams never had to throw the ball against us because our rush defense was non-existent. Our pass rush wasn't any different then than it is now, and we sucked defending the pass on third downs, second and longs, etc etc.

Now the rush defense is a little better, but we still suck against the pass, only moreso because it's evident on all downs, not just third.

This secondary has been a weakness for years, and it still is and will continue to be until we upgrade the talent level, especially at the corners. Granted, however, that we could use somebody in charge who actually knows how to generate a pass rush to help overcome the weaknesses in the defensive backfield.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I don't think there's any debate about the quality of the Bills' defense. IIIt's bad any way you want to measure it, and the interceptions while they're great to have doesn't make up for points and yards allowed. I tend to ge a bit cautious about change, so even theough George Edwards has to shoulder some of the blame fo the sad state of affairs on defense, I'll hold of on calling for his firing. I'll instead wait for Sheppard, Aaron Williams and a few other youngsters to start having an impact and then see. If things look as bad at the end of the season, I think some change has to be made for next year.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                      That works both ways...We're not getting sufficient pass rush because our secondary can't cover anybody for more than a second-and-a-half and the rushers aren't given any time to get to the QB.

Everybody thought the secondary was a strength because of yards against and a statistical ranking, ignoring the fact that teams never had to throw the ball against us because our rush defense was non-existent. Our pass rush wasn't any different then than it is now, and we sucked defending the pass on third downs, second and longs, etc etc.

Now the rush defense is a little better, but we still suck against the pass, only moreso because it's evident on all downs, not just third.

This secondary has been a weakness for years, and it still is and will continue to be until we upgrade the talent level, especially at the corners. Granted, however, that we could use somebody in charge who actually knows how to generate a pass rush to help overcome the weaknesses in the defensive backfield.
                      It doesn't work both ways when QBs are sitting back in the pocket for 3-4 seconds though.

We're having long passes completed against us all the time because we give WRs enough time to run long routes and break coverage.

Its not like we are being dinked and dunked. Offenses are completing almost 8 yards per completion against us which means long and intermediate passes.

Pass rush is the problem, not secondary.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                        It doesn't work both ways when QBs are sitting back in the pocket for 3-4 seconds though.

We're having long passes completed against us all the time because we give WRs enough time to run long routes and break coverage.

Its not like we are being dinked and dunked. Offenses are completing almost 8 yards per completion against us which means long and intermediate passes.

Pass rush is the problem, not secondary.
                        IMO if you 'fix' the pass rush, the secondary is still going to be weak. Still, the biggest upgrade this defense needs is at coordinator. Somebody who actually knows what a 34 is and how to use it.

Let's face it...Does anybody really think that if George Edwards was the DC for Pittsburgh or Green Bay, instead of LeBeau or Capers, either team would have made the final game last season?
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• superbills
                          • Mar 2003

Dareus is getting double-teamed all over the place and since Kyle has been gimpy there's no one who's been able to take advantage of the double-team and get pressure consistently. Regardless of the scheme, you need at least two guys on the line who can get pressure or who would otherwise demand a double-team. We don't have that right now.
                          "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
                          Ronald Reagan
                          40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• BillsFever21
                            • Aug 2004

Edwards is terrible and we need a good experienced coordinator. Either we need to find one in the offseason or Wanny needs to take over as the DC next season. It's too late to make the switch midseason unless we bomb out and we put him in there to build on towards next year and to build some cohesion between him and the players.

Comment

• Bangarang
                              • Sep 2010

Edwards is terrible and we need a good experienced coordinator. Either we need to find one in the offseason or Wanny needs to take over as the DC next season. It's too late to make the switch midseason unless we bomb out and we put him in there to build on towards next year and to build some cohesion between him and the players.
                              Honestly, why do people act like Wanny is sitting up in the booth doing nothing. If you think that he doesn't have his hands in this defense then you're being naive.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍