PDA

View Full Version : Would the Bills been better off keeping Evans this season?

Skooby
10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
If healthy, would we of been better off keeping Evans or was there a mutual need of new scenery ??

G Wolly
10-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think it would have made a difference had he stayed. It sucked to see a guy like that leave, but with a new staff in place I expect them to have the pieces they feel necessary to make sure the machine runs smoothly, not just trying to recycle old parts.

ServoBillieves
10-22-2011, 03:55 PM
No

RoscoeMagic
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
We can't predict injuries. We could certainly use him now being as we're using Spiller out wide due to the depth issues, but as I said you can't assume that Jones, Easley and Parrish would all go down.

Jan Reimers
10-22-2011, 04:33 PM
We would be better off with a fast, sure handed receiver who could stretch the defense, regardless of the situation. Lee was a salary dump, pure and simple.

YardRat
10-22-2011, 04:51 PM
We would be better off with a fast, sure handed receiver who could stretch the defense, regardless of the situation. Lee was a salary dump, pure and simple.

Not that I agree that it was a salary dump to begin with, but if it was with the intent to create more flexibility to sign Fitz, Johnson, Jackson and set up one or two FA signings than it was the right move seven days a week.

Injuries can't be predicted, but obviously if Evans was still here and injured we wouldn't be in any better shape than we are now.

we are
10-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Honestly I think i would rather have a healthy jones at this stage of their careers

warsawbassman
10-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Lets all kick this dead horse one more time.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-22-2011, 09:07 PM
again and again, d jones is a better all around younger wr. plus we get a 4th. case closed!

clumping platelets
10-22-2011, 09:09 PM
No....Evans was too one dimensional and predictable. Donald Jones isn't. He is willing to go over the middle.

Goobylal
10-22-2011, 09:13 PM
It was time for Evans to move on. It wasn't a salary dump since they paid him $1.5M in bonus money. If they wanted to dump his salary, they would have done it before paying the bonus by either trading him or cutting him. The guy wasn't even the leading receiver the past 2 years, could only go deep, and wouldn't block. Easley was a bigger loss.

Pinkerton Security
10-22-2011, 09:14 PM
again and again, d jones is a better all around younger wr. plus we get a 4th. case closed!

what has jones done that makes you think he is "better all around"? just curious.

NOT THE DUDE...
10-22-2011, 09:18 PM
:air:
what has jones done that makes you think he is "better all around"? just curious.

better on short routes, waaay better over the middle, plus he can get deep. and has better size. and younger... its a no brainer!

Goobylal
10-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Plus he's a great blocker.

paladin warrior
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Naw. I rather like get New WR from a draft next year

Buddo
10-23-2011, 05:39 AM
In hindsight, yes, as we would have better cover for the injuries we have had. Other than that, no.
Part of the difficulty with Evans, was the simple fact that he and Fitz, never really developed any true timing together, and I doubt it was from a lack of effort.
With a few exceptions, what we seem to be seeing much more often these days, is that the WR/QB relationship, and familiarity with a system, is what gets WRs their numbers. Obviously talent helps, but there have been a good number of highly regarded WRs, who have left teams they have been with for a while, and have flat out sucked at their next team.
The other side of that coin, would be to look at how Branch has resurrected his career, since he returned to the Patsies, and a familiar QB and system to play in.
Imho, it's only the truly top echelon of WRs who can succeed anywhere they go, and even that isn't guaranteed, as shown by Moss - although I think that's as much a function of Moss actually wanting to make the effort.

ddaryl
10-23-2011, 06:54 AM
in our primary short passing game.... NO Evans struggles to get off the line and into a quick route.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-23-2011, 08:57 AM
What's that phrase - God has mysterious ways to make things happen.

I just got done watching Spiller's interview on BB.com. The guy comes with all the right attitude and work ethics. He seems to really into making himself a better receiver right now, talking about coverages, routes with other guys, etc.

Who knows? While Spiller is waiting for his opportunity (which I take it as being the running back) - and he said he has the patience to wait, if he develops into a legit wide receiver with the kind of speed he has, he could be onto something much bigger than Reggie Bush ever was or is.

mayotm
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
What's that phrase - God has mysterious ways to make things happen.

I just got done watching Spiller's interview on BB.com. The guy comes with all the right attitude and work ethics. He seems to really into making himself a better receiver right now, talking about coverages, routes with other guys, etc.

Who knows? While Spiller is waiting for his opportunity (which I take it as being the running back) - and he said he has the patience to wait, if he develops into a legit wide receiver with the kind of speed he has, he could be onto something much bigger than Reggie Bush ever was or is.The saying is "God works in mysterious ways", but close enough.

PromoTheRobot
10-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Sure it was. If you say so. Never mind the facts.

PTR

Luisito23
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
This thread = :deadhorse:

Jan Reimers
10-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Sure it was. If you say so. Never mind the facts.

PTR
What facts? That Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt have proven very little so far? That Stevie has had one good season, and Roscoe - small and oft-injured - has had 1/2 of one good season? That Easley has yet to catch a pass?

So we give up a proven, veteran receiver and hope like Hell that some of these guys can actually play?

John Doe
10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
The Bills would have been better off keeping Andre Reed, if younger.

Skooby
10-23-2011, 01:19 PM
This thread = :deadhorse:

Our need for WR has changed since the beginning of the year, especially after all the injuries.

ddaryl
10-23-2011, 02:55 PM
What facts? That Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt have proven very little so far? That Stevie has had one good season, and Roscoe - small and oft-injured - has had 1/2 of one good season? That Easley has yet to catch a pass?

So we give up a proven, veteran receiver and hope like Hell that some of these guys can actually play?

Sorry don't see your point at all.. Our O is performing better this year without Lee. AND from what I can tell, yes these guys can actually play

GreedoII
10-23-2011, 07:39 PM
If healthy, would we of been better off keeping Evans or was there a mutual need of new scenery ??

Enough of these stupid evans threads. hes gone. get over it. do they miss him? no. they are avg like 30pts a game. so stop with this dumb thread. Sick of these threads about past bills players. why does anyone care? they are all gone. they are irrelevant.

Goobylal
10-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Evans wasn't even the leading WR on the Bills the previous 2 seasons. He even came in 2nd to a guy who had just joined the team, and a former 7th rounder.

And as for the original question, if healthy, maybe. But the offense is doing great without him, and he is NOT healthy.

Mr. Pink
10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
I'd rather bring back Josh Reed.

mayotm
10-24-2011, 07:47 AM

So we give up a proven, veteran receiver and hope like Hell that some of these guys can actually play?Jan, I tend to share your opinions on the Bills, but think you're wrong about Evans. The facts are, Evans hasn't been productive going on three years now. I'm well aware of all the reasons (excuses) given about his lack of production. However, bottom line, the Bills offense has been productive and he hasn't been missed. Sure, the Bills probably could use him at the moment, but that's only due to all the injuries. Not to mention, Evans himself hasn't played since Week 2, so not exactly sure how that would help the Bills.

better days
10-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Jan, I tend to share your opinions on the Bills, but think you're wrong about Evans. The facts are, Evans hasn't been productive going on three years now. I'm well aware of all the reasons (excuses) given about his lack of production. However, bottom line, the Bills offense has been productive and he hasn't been missed. Sure, the Bills probably could use him at the moment, but that's only due to all the injuries. Not to mention, Evans himself hasn't played since Week 2, so not exactly sure how that would help the Bills.

I agree if Evans were healthy the Bills could use him, on the other hand if the Bills had no injuries at WR including Easley, they would not need him. This is a pointless thread.

Jan Reimers
10-24-2011, 09:32 AM
No one can say with any certainty that we would be better, or worse if Lee were still on the team (and healthy, a big if). But to say we are definitely better without him, simply because his numbers were down the last 2 seasons, is a huge and illogical assumption.

We now lack a speed guy with good hands. Whether Lee would be that guy, or whether Fitz would be throw to him, is pure conjecture.

But I have watched every game this year, and I am not overly impressed with our receiving corps. We have mostly possession guys, and opposing defenses are becoming more and more aware of that fact. And those of you that consider Donald Jones a legitimate deep threat - even when healthy - are really deluded.

I'm just saying that Evans was the kind of receiver a team with mostly posession type receivers needs, if only to keep opposing defenses honest. I think Lee would have helped, and I know we could definitely use that sort of receiver now.

We will have to take a speedy receiver in next year's draft. Lee would have filled that role, at least this season.

Bill Cody
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
This is a pointless thread.

Careful Bud. This board endured 10 pages of "Tebow Time" with barely a peep.:snicker2:

Ok fine it's pointless. But few threads aren't when you come down to it. I admit the Evans issue has gone stale a long time ago for me. But if the Evans defenders/haters want to post about it, ok by me.

It is a bit confusing though to understand the defenders argument, the man is hurt. How would having him on the team help us? Unless....

opposing middle linebacker: WATCH OUT FOR EVANS!
opposing corner: Why? He's in street clothes.
opposing middle linebacker: IT'S A TRICK. THE STREET CLOTHES ARE ALL PART OF THEIR DECOY PACKAGE!

mayotm
10-24-2011, 09:42 AM
No one can say with any certainty that we would be better, or worse if Lee were still on the team (and healthy, a big if). But to say we are definitely better without him, simply because his numbers were down the last 2 seasons, is a huge and illogical assumption.

We now lack a speed guy with good hands. Whether Lee would be that guy, or whether Fitz would be throw to him, is pure conjecture.

But I have watched every game this year, and I am not overly impressed with our receiving corps. We have mostly possession guys, and opposing defenses are becoming more and more aware of that fact. And those of you that consider Donald Jones a legitimate deep threat - even when healthy - are really deluded.

I'm just saying that Evans was the kind of receiver a team with mostly posession type receivers needs, if only to keep opposing defenses honest. I think Lee would have helped, and I know we could definitely use that sort of receiver now.

We will have to take a speedy receiver in next year's draft. Lee would have filled that role, at least this season.I think we will have to agree to disagree on this. The need for a deep threat (Evans or somebody else) is debatable since the offense has been very productive to this point. I guess we will see over the next 10 weeks if defenses catch up or not.

Philagape
10-24-2011, 09:49 AM

We will have to take a speedy receiver in next year's draft. Lee would have filled that role, at least this season.

It's not receivers that keep defenses honest, it's QBs.
Regardless of Evans, defenses did not respect Losman or Edwards because they knew they sucked or wouldn't throw deep. Fitz, on the other hand, is respected because he won't hesitate to air it out and has shown he can succeed at it. He made deep threats out of Johnson and Jones.
Would anyone say Fred Jackson has missed Evans or any other speedy "deep threat"? I haven't seen a lot of stacked defenses this year.

sdbillsfan2
10-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Would having Evans here REALLY alter Chan's game plan ? Would Evans being here negate those 2 bad passes Fitz put up? Would Evans change a piss poor pass rush? I liked Evans, but I really don't think his still being here would change where the team is today. Stevie is #1 and on this team the #2 is interchangeable.

better days
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM
It's not receivers that keep defenses honest, it's QBs.
Regardless of Evans, defenses did not respect Losman or Edwards because they knew they sucked or wouldn't throw deep. Fitz, on the other hand, is respected because he won't hesitate to air it out and has shown he can succeed at it. He made deep threats out of Johnson and Jones.
Would anyone say Fred Jackson has missed Evans or any other speedy "deep threat"? I haven't seen a lot of stacked defenses this year.

True if you don't have a QB that is willing to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage like Trent the defense will not hesitate to put 8 in the box no matter how fast the WR's.

I think it takes both a QB that can air it out which Fitz can & a WR that can stretch the field to keep a defense honest.

Jan Reimers
10-24-2011, 10:04 AM
My last thought on Evans being dumped: We have one fewer legitimate deep option without him. Fitz is not that good with the long ball, and Johnson/Jones are not that good at the deep game, either.

So with the loss of Evans, we try it once in a great while, and it succeeds on occasion. I would simply like to see the deep ball as a regular part of our offense.

We will all see over the next 10 games whether we can win consistently without a true deep threat.

Bill Cody
10-24-2011, 10:44 AM

It would be nice but it would have to be some kind of project IMO. Unless someone like a Dez Bryant slips I would doubt WR is as high a priority as say LB or OL or even DB. I was watching the Lions game yesterday. That Megatron guy Calvin Johnson seems pretty good. Maybe he's the guy Acehole had in mind for that 4th we got for Evans? Stay tuned.

Bill Cody
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I think Lee would have helped.

Ok but it's a bit of a stretch to assume he wouldn't have been hurt if he stayed, no? And if he was hurt how would he have helped?

better days
10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Ok but it's a bit of a stretch to assume he wouldn't have been hurt if he stayed, no? And if he was hurt how would he have helped?

I don't think it is a stretch to think Evans would not have been injured if he stayed in Buffalo, it's not like the guy has had a lot of injuries in the past.