PDA

View Full Version : Is Tebow the next Flutie?

Dozerdog
10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
It's been a while since I've seen such a polarizing QB - Love'em or hate 'em.

Fluite had better passing skills, both seem to be the "Underdog leaders" and both seem to have the ability to pull wins out of their asses.

I heard a stat today that amazed me- Tebow has more 4th quarter comebacks from 13 points down (or greater) than John Elway!

Discuss......

OpIv37
10-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Tebow played 5 good minutes.

He took 7 sacks.

Spectacular athlete. Not an NFL QB. He will soon go the way of guys like Matt Jones and Pat White.

justasportsfan
10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Tebow is taller and bigger.

The Popcorn
10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Tebow is taller and bigger.

He doesn't sport a mullet either.

BILLSROCK1212
10-24-2011, 04:15 PM

He took 7 sacks.

Spectacular athlete. Not an NFL QB. He will soon go the way of guys like Matt Jones and Pat White.
Pat White and Matt Jones?? What a joke. He's already had a better career than both of them combined!!

OpIv37
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Pat White and Matt Jones?? What a joke. He's already had a better career than both of them combined!!

based on what? 2 good drives against the 0-6 Dolphins?

Please.

Skooby
10-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Please.

Bingo, did these guys ever watch JP Losman against Miami ?

Gables
10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Tebow also recovered the onside kick, and nailed the 53 yard FG. Don't forget those miraculous feats.

HendersonD06
10-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Flutie was something else. No way Tebow will ever enjoy the type of success that Flutie did. I'm guessing Tebow will become a FB or TE over the next 2-3 years, after he fails at QB. He's a true talent, but, I can't picture him becoming a good quarterback.

imbondz
10-24-2011, 06:06 PM

He took 7 sacks.

When do you say a QB took 7 sacks? He got sacked 7 times. Some his fault, some his horrible Oline.

I agree partly. Great athlete, great college QB, we don't know if he will be a great NFL QB yet.

YardRat
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
We'll see in a couple of years, after he flames out in the NFL and has to go North to continue playing QB.

Mr. Pink
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Somebody was listening to Schopp and the Bulldog this afternoon.

Seeing they're the jackwagons who came up with the comparison.

Mr. Miyagi
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Spot on Dozer. Tebow is Flutie. He's got that certain magic about him. Not the most prototypical passer, but he has the ability to motivate his guys, and people want to play hard for him.

Tebow Magic will be the next big catch phrase.

Stay tuned (sorry can't resist).

Mr. Miyagi
10-24-2011, 07:17 PM
There are a bunch of haters among us.

Tebow does that to people. You either love him or hate him. Another trait resembling Flutie.

I'm a Tebow lover.

Skooby
10-24-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm a Tebow lover.

How about on Christmas eve ?

Billz_fan
10-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Im not sure if Tebow will succeed or not. He does alot of things poorly as a QB. Some of them will be fixed by his learning process. One thing I do know he will work as hard as he has to and he will not give up. All the ESPN and NFLN guys saying he can't get be a QB or is not ready and yet he still gets a W at the end of the day.

Im rooting for the kid because he has an incredible work ethic and unshakable faith in himself (not talking religion here) He seems to be a truly nice guy. I hope he makes it.

Gables
10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
There are a bunch of haters among us.

Tebow does that to people. You either love him or hate him. Another trait resembling Flutie.

I'm a Tebow lover.

I recognize both of them are polarizing, but I'd like to think I can see both sides of the argument on both players. I grew up a Bills fan in Rochester. I'm also an alumnus of Miami, so I obviously have mixed feelings on Flutie (and Jimmy Johnson, as well).

I love the jolt Flutie brought to the team and community when he got here in the late 90's. He arguably saved the team from leaving. He was also the beneficiary of some of the best Bills defenses ever. Those were 13-10/16-14 games we were winning in those days, not Flutie slinging it all over. Flutie also turned into a locker room cancer, though not by any fault of his own.

That last point is how I compare Flutie to Tebow. I get the feeling Elway wants no part of Tebow, and threw him out there hoping he'd fall on his face, allowing him to take the kid from his alma mater. He's gonna take a QB high, and wouldn't be surprised if he traded all their picks for Luck. I don't think that's fair, and I'd like to see it blow up in Elway's face, because Tebow seems like a nice kid.

That said, I'm a Bills fan and not a Denver fan, and if you ask me if I want Tebow on my team as a QB, I say no.

Whatever. Hopefully that was a middle ground view.

better days
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Im not sure if Tebow will succeed or not. He does alot of things poorly as a QB. Some of them will be fixed by his learning process. One thing I do know he will work as hard as he has to and he will not give up. All the ESPN and NFLN guys saying he can't get be a QB or is not ready and yet he still gets a W at the end of the day.

Im rooting for the kid because he has an incredible work ethic and unshakable faith in himself (not talking religion here) He seems to be a truly nice guy. I hope he makes it.

What in your opinion will not be fixed as Tebow learns to play in the NFL?

ServoBillieves
10-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Is this in the Billszone because of the Flutie reference or are we just going to flood the Bills discussion board with Tebow talk when he's a Bronco?

I know you're an admin, Dozer, so I don't question why you posted it here, but it's not that I dislike Tebow, but I'm beginning to dislike him solely for the fact that no one will stop talking about him.

'He' won 1 game, throwing errant passes that his athletic receivers came up with, and as stated before, it's against the Dolphins. I'm not just saying that as an anti-Fish person, I'm saying that as "wow, the Dolphins really suck this year."

Hell, as I make sure my g/f's OK sleeping (sick) and have to watch ESPN, it's the World Series, then Ravens/Jags, then it's "Tebow Time."

Last I checked, there are 1696 players in the NFL and they all have similar stories to Tebow, what makes a QB on a 2-4 team who completed less than half his passes so great? So many ex-great-college-now-mediocre-NFL-QB's on Denvers roster I thought they were playing in South Bend, Indiana.

I get it, Tebow was a great college QB. But he's not a Buffalo Bill, he's not the second coming of the C-man, and he won ONE game as starting QB where he had 5 minutes of NFL fame.

... sigh... I'm done ranting, but I'm so sick of Tim Tebow talk.

ServoBillieves
10-24-2011, 11:22 PM
And to answer, no Tebow will not be Flutie. Two separate eras, two different style of quarterback. Underdog's sure, but we'll talk when it's a success story.

better days
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM
And to answer, no Tebow will not be Flutie. Two separate eras, two different style of quarterback. Underdog's sure, but we'll talk when it's a success story.

How are their styles different? Tebow is much bigger & stronger than Flutie, but their styles are very similar & both are GAMERS.

better days
10-25-2011, 12:39 AM

Please.

Well Tebow put up 14 points this year in the last game the Broncos played against the Chargers & almost pulled out that win. He also played some last year & played well.

If Tebow is on a decent team in an offense the suits his strengths, he will WIN. This Broncos team is terrible & this offense does not suit Tebow. The cards are stacked against him this year.

Billz_fan
10-25-2011, 03:09 AM
What in your opinion will not be fixed as Tebow learns to play in the NFL?

I just meant I think he will always be the QB who throws the ugly wobbly ball. Once he has played for awhile and gets comfortable back there and actually knows the job, reading the defense, knowing the offense completely, etc I think we will have a better gauge of who he can be. If he cannot do those things he is doomed anyway.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Tebow relies exclusively on athleticism right now to make plays. It works against weaker teams who don't have a lot of talent, hell even the Fish shut him down for 50 minutes. It doesn't work against teams who have talent.

And guys who rely on athleticism and athleticism alone at this level don't last long.

As of right now, Tebow has poor mechanics, doesn't read defenses well and has happy feet.

Could he be a legitimate NFL QB at some point, yes. Could he flame out, just as easily.

Still glad he's in Denver and not here.

better days
10-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Could he be a legitimate NFL QB at some point, yes. Could he flame out, just as easily.

Well, at least you & other critics now acknowledge Tebow could be a legitimate NFL QB at some point. There are very few QB's in the NFL that would look good playing on this Broncos team.

Orton was considered a good QB by many people & he has looked horrible both last year & this year.

tampabay25690
10-25-2011, 06:36 AM

Please.

Are u really gonna go off of 1 game vs the Phins.
Last year he looked like a different QB then this year.
He will just get better.

Forward_Lateral
10-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Tebow can't sniff Flutie's jock.

tampabay25690
10-25-2011, 06:40 AM
Im surprised for the hate on Tebow.
Probably the classiest guy in all of professional sports.
These are usually guys you cheer on....
I guess things have changed....

Just curious how anyone can hate on a guy like this.....

If my son turns out anything like Tim I would be thrilled and know I did my job.

Night Train
10-25-2011, 06:41 AM
After about 4 games, Flutie was easy to figure out and was neutralized.

Tebow is very limited also. The dump pass, the wildcat draw up the middle and a rollout to his left are his game. The first 57 minutes of highlights this past Sunday were pretty bad.

It's a media frenzy that could turn on him quuckly if he doesn't produce.

better days
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM

Tebow is very limited also. The dump pass, the wildcat draw up the middle and a rollout to his left are his game. The first 57 minutes of highlights this past Sunday were pretty bad.

It's a media frenzy that could turn on him quuckly if he doesn't produce.

The only thing that neutralized Flutie was being benched in favor of an ineffective Rob Johnson.

PromoTheRobot
10-25-2011, 09:01 AM
If you mean "Flutie" as in "cult figure" then yes.

PTR

Bill Cody
10-25-2011, 09:32 AM

It would be awesome if we could get "neutralized" again and make the playoffs.

ServoBillieves
10-25-2011, 10:19 AM

If my son turns out anything like Tim I would be thrilled and know I did my job.

.......coming from the Gators fan...... Tebow... was a great college QB but has proved little in the NFL other than he's a Vince Young... and we see where that landed Vince.......... dot dot... I would love to cheer for him, but it's getting really, really old that he's the new Favre of ESPN/tabloids/newspapers/SI/anything, where everything has to be about him and, as I stated before, there are 1696 players in the NFL, why do people only focus on this guy?

Night Train
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
.......coming from the Gators fan...... Tebow... was a great college QB but has proved little in the NFL other than he's a Vince Young... and we see where that landed Vince.......... dot dot... I would love to cheer for him, but it's getting really, really old that he's the new Favre of ESPN/tabloids/newspapers/SI/anything, where everything has to be about him and, as I stated before, there are 1696 players in the NFL, why do people only focus on this guy?

10 years from now, he's yelling into a mic in his own version of Jonestown with 5,000 followers...10 of them from this forum.

PromoTheRobot
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Does anyone remember that Flutie fumbled on the Miami 1yd line costing us a playoff win in 1999? Of course not.

PTR

Bill Cody
10-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Does anyone remember that Flutie fumbled on the Miami 1yd line costing us a playoff win in 1999? Of course not.

PTR

Yeah I remember. So what? Jim Kelly threw a bunch of picks in SB's. Are we burning him in effigy?

Bill Cody
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
there are 1696 players in the NFL, why do people only focus on this guy?

Ok I think you actually know the answer to this, right? Tebow was already a household name before he came to the NFL, something very few college players are. He played on the highest profile college team and he won back to back NC's. He's also very religious and wears it on his sleeve, a fact that makes him controversial. He has some obvious holes in his game and some obvious pluses, that makes him interesting. The USA LOVES drama. Will he make it? Will he bust? That's just the way it is. if it really really bothers you you do have some flexibility on what threads you read and post on, no?

Bill Cody
10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Tebow can't sniff Flutie's jock.

That's because it's against the 11th commandment "thou shall not sniff thy neighbors jock strap".

Ed
10-25-2011, 11:33 AM

What hate? Who honestly hates Tebow? I've never met anyone that hates the guy. Questioning if Tebow has the arm to play QB in the NFL is not an attack on his character as a person. Everyone knows he's a great guy, but that doesn't having anything to do with his play.

And if you're not a Gator or Bronco fan, why do you have to cheer him on? Why can't I just be interested in the whole Tebow story and observe and discuss without loving or hating the guy?

DraftBoy
10-25-2011, 11:43 AM
What hate? Who honestly hates Tebow? I've never met anyone that hates the guy. Questioning if Tebow has the arm to play QB in the NFL is not an attack on his character as a person. Everyone knows he's a great guy, but that doesn't having anything to do with his play.

And if you're not a Gator or Bronco fan, why do you have to cheer him on? Why can't I just be interested in the whole Tebow story and observe and discuss without loving or hating the guy?

and further more why can't I call him Timmah! without people getting all upset about it?

:jk: :calm:

Ickybaluky
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
People totally miss the boat with Tebow. Yeah, he has flaws. You can't look at the flaws without looking at what he can do well.

Tebow will never have great mechanics, but he throws the football better than people give him credit for. He will never complete a high percentage of passes, but he does get the ball downfield and makes big plays with both his arm and his feet.

One of the reasons Tebow does well at the end of games is because they go to the spread stuff when they are trying to come back. He is much more comfortable with the spread than he is as a tradtional pocket passer. The Broncos need to tailor their offense to what he does well, which means spreading the field and allowing him to do his thing like he did at Florida.

He is a different kind of QB, and if they modify the offense to allow him to do what got him here he will win some games. Ultimately, that is what it is all about. He doesn't have to play like Dan Marino, he needs to win games.

better days
10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
and further more why can't I call him Timmah! without people getting all upset about it?

:jk: :calm:

You can call him Timmah. I doubt that upsets anyone.

DraftBoy
10-25-2011, 11:51 AM
People totally miss the boat with Tebow. Yeah, he has flaws. You can't look at the flaws without looking at what he can do well.

Tebow will never have great mechanics, but he throws the football better than people give him credit for. He will never complete a high percentage of passes, but he does get the ball downfield and makes big plays with both his arm and his feet.

One of the reasons Tebow does well at the end of games is because they go to the spread stuff when they are trying to come back. He is much more comfortable with the spread than he is as a tradtional pocket passer. The Broncos need to tailor their offense to what he does well, which means spreading the field and allowing him to do his thing like he did at Florida.

He is a different kind of QB, and if they modify the offense to allow him to do what got him here he will win some games. Ultimately, that is what it is all about. He doesn't have to play like Dan Marino, he needs to win games.

I dont think anybody has disagreed with that, however you are not mentioning his biggest flaw. Its not his mechanics, his accuracy issues, or his inconsistent arm strength. He still can't read a defense and doesn't see the blitz well. In the spread you're right he's much better but nobody is going to run that kind of system all game long. He struggles when he has to turn his back to the defense, he struggles to ID the dropping LB, and he struggles pre-snap with hot routes and blocking adjustments.

Some of that will come with time and study however for all his amazing physical talents, they can't make up for the mental part of the game that he very clearly is lacking.

If it was as simple as playing pitch and catch Id sign Tebow any day, but its not and that's the issue. Everything else is just window dressing.

DraftBoy
10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
You can call him Timmah. I doubt that upsets anyone.

Oh I have 3 dozen emails that call me a racist, bigot, and idoit that say otherwise.

Id mention the few that say Im going to hell and that Im a heathen but I dont deny truth.

better days
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Well, this is Tebows 2nd year in the NFL. How about giving him some time to prove himself.

Tebow has the athleticism of Young but that is where the similarity ends. Young got to where he is by being an idiot, not by how he played for the Titans.

As a fan of Tebow I agree with you, we do not need to see/hear about him constantly.

Joe Fo Sho
10-25-2011, 01:16 PM
My hatred stems from the fact that he answers every effing question with "I'd like to thank jesus..."

better days
10-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Oh I have 3 dozen emails that call me a racist, bigot, and idoit that say otherwise.

Id mention the few that say Im going to hell and that Im a heathen but I dont deny truth.

Seriously? Because you call Tebow, Timmah? That is crazy.

Well, you are no doubt a heathen headed for hell, but Christians are taught to hate the sin but not the sinner.

ticatfan
10-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Not even close, but what tebow did prove , is that the top CFL QB's can easily play in the NFL. The myth that the NFL players are soooooooo much better, took a big shot.

DraftBoy
10-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Seriously? Because you call Tebow, Timmah? That is crazy.

Well, you are no doubt a heathen headed for hell, but Christians are taught to hate the sin but not the sinner.

Oh yes people didnt not appreciate the humor. I dont deny the second part and Im enjoying every second of my "sinful" lifestyle.

better days
10-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Not even close, but what tebow did prove , is that the top CFL QB's can easily play in the NFL. The myth that the NFL players are soooooooo much better, took a big shot.

I think Moon, Flutie, Garcia proved that point long ago.

ticatfan
10-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I think Moon, Flutie, Garcia proved that point long ago. I am talking the current crop. like marc trestman siad that his QB could start with 15 teams now. Right now the one I think will end up making the move south will be Drew Tate of calgary.

better days
10-25-2011, 02:58 PM
I am talking the current crop. like marc trestman siad that his QB could start with 15 teams now. Right now the one I think will end up making the move south will be Drew Tate of calgary.

Well, there are more than a few teams that could use a good QB.

Mike13
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM

He took 7 sacks.

Wasnt Matt Jones on Meth or some ****?

DraftBoy
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I am talking the current crop. like marc trestman siad that his QB could start with 15 teams now. Right now the one I think will end up making the move south will be Drew Tate of calgary.

None of the current CFL starting QB's will become anything in the NFL. That's not to say there isn't talent in the CFL because there is. However the best guys are older, most of them are too short, and lack NFL caliber arms.

Tate was barely on the radar when he left Iowa, not sure why three years later he'd still be on anybody's radar.

justasportsfan
10-25-2011, 03:25 PM
If Tebow has the work ethic everyone says about him, he should surpass Flutie down the road considering the time it took Flutie to be who he was when he rejoined the NFL.

Syderick
11-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Fitzpatrick is the new Flutie

thenry20
11-05-2011, 08:23 AM
No way!

From what people have said, he's a much better person, a truly likeable guy. He's not bitter or angry about anything in his life.

Night Train
11-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Just move him to TE and some snaps as a wildcat QB and quit pretending he's a franchise QB. He's not.

Extremebillsfan247
11-05-2011, 10:10 AM
It's been a while since I've seen such a polarizing QB - Love'em or hate 'em.

Fluite had better passing skills, both seem to be the "Underdog leaders" and both seem to have the ability to pull wins out of their asses.

I heard a stat today that amazed me- Tebow has more 4th quarter comebacks from 13 points down (or greater) than John Elway!

Discuss...... Tebow just isn't in an environment where he can flourish. Denver is a mess, and will continue to be as long as Elway runs the show. He was a good QB, but the guy doesn't know crap about running an organization. JMO