PDA

View Full Version : Significant Figures

The King
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Another disection of numbers by psubills62

While statistics aren’t everything in football, they can be a good representative of a team’s play if looked at objectively. Of course, many different numbers have to be checked to see the overall picture and form the context. I will try to point out several key numbers related to the Buffalo Bills’ upcoming opponent, the Washington Redskins.

The Washington Redskins seem to be a very average team on paper, which is portrayed well by their 0.500 record (3-3). They are strong in certain areas, but weak in others. While that is usually the case with many teams when it comes to statistics, there are usually underlying reasons for those strengths and weaknesses. For example, a team that cannot stop the run may appear to have a good pass defense. Or a team that has a great offense doesn’t appear to have a great defense because other teams are moving the ball to try and keep up. Usually taking the averages (e.g. yards per attempt) mitigate the appearances and tell more of the true story.

Washington, however, does not seem to have the type of team where its weaknesses are a result of its strengths or vice versa. They are simply average, and right now are hurting significantly due to injuries. Considering Washington just lost two of their top offensive skill players this past Sunday, the offensive numbers may not accurately characterize their team anymore. The Redskins have also recently transitioned to quarterback John Beck, formerly of the second string.

Hopefully that paints a general portrait of Buffalo’s upcoming opponent. Let’s delve into the numbers that appear to be of significance, especially those that may not be very well known to Buffalo fans. Again, numbers in parentheses are where those numbers rank in the NFL.

Read more... (http://www.billszone.com/?p=479)

Skooby
10-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I love it, great write up.

psubills62
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I love it, great write up.
Thanks, mon frere.

Skooby
10-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks, mon frere.

Au contraire, mon frère. LOL.

JK.