• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

I see our biggest problem as scoring points & ball control, not defense

The Bills offense hasn't been able to string consistent scoring drives together for the past several games, we just can't squeak by with our poor defense & expect to win. Foot on the offensive gas all the time, never stop scoring or trying to score no matter what the score is. Even if we are way ahead, practice new plays & try to score on them. You don't get to 62 points or Patriots level of football by being courteous, you crush your opponents offensively all game long.

You back down when the clock says 00:00 & you're ahead, not a second before that unless you're just running the clock out.
    Last edited by Skooby; 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM.
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Re: I see our biggest problem as scoring points & ball control, not defense

The offense struggled when injuries to the receiving core and Oline started to mount. Once we start getting guys like D. Bell and D. Jones back, the offense will be fine. The defense is a mess. How can anyone deny that? You know why the Bills have a lot of Ints? Teams are throwing on them more. The defense doesn't have any sort of decent pass rush, and a lousy secondary. Sure the run defense improved some, but not enough to make much of a difference. This team is lucky to be 4-2. JMO

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

The Bills are 3rd in the NFL at 33.3 Pts/Game. Granted, some of that was defensive scores, but still they are one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL.

The Bills are 9th in the NFL in Time of Possession at 31:21 minutes per game.

I'm not sure how you can look at those numbers and say offense is their biggest problem. The offense is the reason they are 4-2.

They need to play better defense, especially against the run. They are 30th in the NFL at defending the run, giving up 135.7 yards per game (5.1 yards per rush). That seems like a good place to start if you are looking for improvement.
      Last edited by Ickybaluky; 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
        • May 2009

I see the exact opposite. The Bills' defense lets opposing offenses walk all over them and march right down the field 70% of the time. In turn creating less chances for Chan to make up the lack of defense. I do wish the Bills could get Berrian. They need someone to stretch the field.
        Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I still see our largest single problem as lack of a pass rush. By far.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Defense is the weakness, plain and simple. It's pretty hard for me to blame the offense, especially after we suffered through the stagnant offenses under Jauron. I don't feel it's unreasonable to expect to win a few games with only scoring 20 or 24 points rather than 30.

Pass defense is certainly the main issue. However, I think playing 60 minutes of consistently good run defense would help quite a bit. Against Cincinnati we played one half of good run D, then they tore us apart in the second half. In the game against the Giants, Bradshaw was averaging something like 2-3 YPC through three quarters then gained ~49 yards in the 4th quarter on 3-4 runs. Two of his biggest runs I believe came on the Giants' final scoring drive.

As I've said before, I've seen improvement in the Bills' run D that the numbers don't show. Last year we were pathetic on every single run, letting up a consistent 6-7 yards without fail. This year I see them doing well...then they let up a couple of big runs that cause the YPC average to jump up.
            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

The single biggest weakness is lack of pass rush. Period. You get pressure, and your corners look a lot better in coverage.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

the only issue we have that need to be addressed is pass rush/pressure on the QB..

Do that an our O gets the ball back more often and opposing O's don't score as often

Comment

• RedEyE
                  • Jul 2002

Pass rush - or lack there of - plain and simple.

This offense has improved drastically while this defense remains the same. Which is opposite of what I expected this year.

I like our linebackers but we lack one sure fire guy that can scramble to the QB and force opposing offenses to defend him.

I also think the Bills defensive scheme is weak and diluted. Edwards should be finding a way to apply more pressure by hiding the blitz and mixing better stunts. They're very vanilla and when they do blitz its perdictable and easy to kill.

Comment

• streetkings01
                    • Jul 2006

Take away our defensive tds and the offense has put up 41,38,27,13,24,24.......that avg out to 27.8 ppg which would tie us for 5th in the NFL in ppg.

Please tell me how scoring points is an issue in Buffalo?
                    You can call me streetkings

Comment

• Ed
                      • Sep 2002

Our biggest problem right now is Kyle Williams foot.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

our biggest problem is MitchMurray's posts. what a joke. SPAM!

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
                          • Apr 2005

SPAM? My dog will eat Spam , but even he ain't swallowing this . It"S THE PASS RUSH!!!!! (or lack off )!!

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• northernbillfan
                            Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                            The Bills are 3rd in the NFL at 33.3 Pts/Game. Granted, some of that was defensive scores, but still they are one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL.

The Bills are 9th in the NFL in Time of Possession at 31:21 minutes per game.

I'm not sure how you can look at those numbers and say offense is their biggest problem. The offense is the reason they are 4-2.

They need to play better defense, especially against the run. They are 30th in the NFL at defending the run, giving up 135.7 yards per game (5.1 yards per rush). That seems like a good place to start if you are looking for improvement.
                            Pretty good insight from a Pats fan. Are you sure you are not a Bills fan in hiding?
                            When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• Jimbuktu
                              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                              our biggest problem is MitchMurray's posts. what a joke. SPAM!
                              I enjoy MitchMurray's Musings

Comment

Working...
                              X