X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maximilli
    • Feb 2009

Merriman

Do u guys think Merriman wont b a bill next year he is under contract rite? will they waive or give him another shot. They say he is having surgery i don't think he had surgery on it before. i think he only tried resting it
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Merriman

I believe he does have one more year on his contract.

It may come down to how he responds to surgery over the offseason. If he comes back to minicamps and isn't looking very good, they may cut him. Not sure if he has any bonuses coming to him during the offseason.

He probably won't be on Buffalo next year. I think they'll get enough other OLB's to push him off the roster.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ZEUS
      My bedroom is covered in posters of naked men.
      • Jul 2005

Your English teacher should be fired.

Comment

• Maximilli
        • Feb 2009

Hope they keep him i think he still has it

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I think it will boil down to money. If we can save money and avoid a big cap hit, he's probably gone. I hold out little hope that he can actually be a productive player again.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Maximilli
            • Feb 2009

Yea but i don't he getting that much

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              I think it will boil down to money. If we can save money and avoid a big cap hit, he's probably gone. I hold out little hope that he can actually be a productive player again.
              Well, his contract is incentive laden so I think it boils down to his health next year.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ZEUS
                Your English teacher should be fired.

Sorry, but I was still learning your language then.
                The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

He's old, this is his achilles and he's already lost a step.

I think he may retire.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

he'll get a chance to make the team IMO, that is if he doesn't retire. His contract is workable as mentioned it is incentive based...

Comment

• Ed
                      • Sep 2002

I don't see why they wouldn't at least give him another shot. His contract numbers are pretty low, so I don't think they really gain anything by releasing him without seeing how he recovers. They'll still make OLB a top priority and not count on Merriman returning to form, but if he does, great. The only way I see him not coming back is if someone like Moats has a breakout year and they draft a top OLB prospect.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

We'll cut him and he'll go to the Pats and tear it up.

That's how it happens.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                          He's old, this is his achilles and he's already lost a step.

I think he may retire.

I think the Bills should reach an injury settlement with him...this afternoon.

Put him into the pasture already.

Comment

• Maximilli
                            • Feb 2009

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 26, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
                            Getty ImagesThe Bills have paid linebacker Shawne Merriman $6.95 million over the last season and a half for one sack and nine tackles in five games.
                            Amazingly, Merriman’s contract appears to get worse for the Bills.
                            According to a January article by Tim Graham (formerly of ESPN.com), Merriman is guaranteed another $3 million in 2012. We’ve seen it written that the Bills had some injury protection for that money, but that no longer appears to be true.
                            Graham wrote that Merriman’s 2012 money was guaranteed the moment he was cleared to practice this year. In essence, his new Achilles injury is viewed as different problem than his old Achilles injury. So the Bills are on the hook for it.
                            Merriman is due $4 million in base salary in 2012 and a $1 million roster bonus next March. We can’t imagine the Bills will give him another chance, so they will basically have to pay him $3 million to go away.
                            Claiming and then signing Merriman never made any sense. I’ve heard from Bills fans that they had to take a roll of the dice to get some talent. That’s insane. The Bills have done so many things right in the Gailey/Nix era, but there is no defending the Merriman contract.
                            It was a terrible bet the moment the contract was signed. Merriman missed 30 games between 2008-2010, including 13 last year. He has 4 sacks since 2007. He was never going to make big money on the open market. Guaranteed base salaries are for star players; Merriman was not in that kind of bargaining position.
                            If the Bills wanted to take a risk on Merriman, they could have waited for him to be a free agent and given him something like a 1-year, $3 million contract. That’s more money than far more productive linebackers got after the lockout.
                            Instead, the Bills will wind up paying almost $10 million to Merriman for one sack. That apparently includes $3 million next year, when he may no longer even be in the NFL.

Comment

• Ed
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Maximilli
                              Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 26, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT
                              Getty ImagesThe Bills have paid linebacker Shawne Merriman $6.95 million over the last season and a half for one sack and nine tackles in five games.
                              Amazingly, Merriman’s contract appears to get worse for the Bills.
                              According to a January article by Tim Graham (formerly of ESPN.com), Merriman is guaranteed another $3 million in 2012. We’ve seen it written that the Bills had some injury protection for that money, but that no longer appears to be true.
                              Graham wrote that Merriman’s 2012 money was guaranteed the moment he was cleared to practice this year. In essence, his new Achilles injury is viewed as different problem than his old Achilles injury. So the Bills are on the hook for it.
                              Merriman is due $4 million in base salary in 2012 and a $1 million roster bonus next March. We can’t imagine the Bills will give him another chance, so they will basically have to pay him $3 million to go away.
                              Claiming and then signing Merriman never made any sense. I’ve heard from Bills fans that they had to take a roll of the dice to get some talent. That’s insane. The Bills have done so many things right in the Gailey/Nix era, but there is no defending the Merriman contract.
                              It was a terrible bet the moment the contract was signed. Merriman missed 30 games between 2008-2010, including 13 last year. He has 4 sacks since 2007. He was never going to make big money on the open market. Guaranteed base salaries are for star players; Merriman was not in that kind of bargaining position.
                              If the Bills wanted to take a risk on Merriman, they could have waited for him to be a free agent and given him something like a 1-year, $3 million contract. That’s more money than far more productive linebackers got after the lockout.
                              Instead, the Bills will wind up paying almost $10 million to Merriman for one sack. That apparently includes $3 million next year, when he may no longer even be in the NFL.
                              Well if the money is guaranteed then what't the point of releasing him? I don't get the line that says the Bills will have to pay him 3 million to go away.

Comment

Working...
                              X