PDA

View Full Version : Is Enroth playing better than Miller so far this season ??

Skooby
10-28-2011, 11:44 AM
It might seem odd that a 9-0-1 goalie is the back-up but Ryan Miller is a much bigger name, so you can see why Enroth is sitting most of the time. Is Enroth playing better than Miller right now ?? I mean Ruff has publically stated that the best players will play & everyone one else sits, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

I also believe that if Miller was in last night, we would of lost the lead in that second period. I can't see it any other way but how it looks, so please feel free to discuss it (however taboo it may be to think).

ddaryl
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Mr. Softie is an issue IMO..

but this team not playing tighter D is also an issue, we just spent big $$$ upgrading our D and yet they gave up 43 shots last night, and have done so a few times this seaosn already... That is not a recipe for a Stanley Cup victory IMHO

SkateZilla
10-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Umm.. NO.

We are too used to Automatic Losses when playing the Backup.

Enroth is a great goalie, dont get me wrong, but miller is proven. goalies have on and off nights.

if your going by W-L, the losses Miller has the team completely fell asleep on a 2-0 lead, forgot to wake up in the 3-0 loss, and was sleepwalking in the loss to carolina. the team left miller out to dry in all 3 of the losses.

SkateZilla
10-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Mr. Softie is an issue IMO..

but this team not playing tighter D is also an issue, we just spent big $$$ upgrading our D and yet they gave up 43 shots last night, and have done so a few times this seaosn already... That is not a recipe for a Stanley Cup victory IMHO

its not the amount of shots,

its the quality of the shots, and where they are taken.

out of 43 shots all but 8 or 9 where from the perimeter.

if you let everyone get point blank shots in front they'll score more goals than taking pot shots from the outter perimeter.

if you want to talk softies, the 20 foot wrister over Enroth's shoulder.. was kinda soft.

The one thing i havent heard lindy say they are working on that they need to be is:
GETTING CONTROL OF THE PUCK AND GETTING IT OUT OF THE ZONE.

we cough up goals when the team is trying to get out of the zone and turns it over on a bad pass or someone being worked off the puck or someone being just plain stupid (insert any sabres player name, they are all guilty of it.)

Skooby
10-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Umm.. NO.

We are too used to Automatic Losses when playing the Backup.

Enroth is a great goalie, dont get me wrong, but miller is proven. goalies have on and off nights.

if your going by W-L, the losses Miller has the team completely fell asleep on a 2-0 lead, forgot to wake up in the 3-0 loss, and was sleepwalking in the loss to carolina. the team left miller out to dry in all 3 of the losses.

Asleep / sleepwalking / forgot: Do any of these words make you think we can win playoff games with Miller in net ?

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Enroth is making a case.

SabreEleven
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
I thinking (or at least hoping) that the way Enroth is playing will push Miller to play great consistently. Hopefully it pissing him off a little bit so he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Skooby
10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I thinking (or at least hoping) that the way Enroth is playing will push Miller to play great consistently. Hopefully it pissing him off a little bit so he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Lindy can play some head games with Miller, he's done this before with great success.

Mski
10-28-2011, 12:53 PM
absolutely not.... while enroth is a good goalie, and likely a starter on more than just a few teams in the league, Miller is the better goalie, and still bails out this team when they play like crap.... ie: montreal game

DMBcrew36
10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
People can debate and talk all they want - "Will this push Miller? Is Enroth outplaying Miller? Is bla bla bla bla bla..."

It just sticks in my head - all the f**ktards who don't know about hockey, calling into WGR, whether it be the whiner line or anything else, talking about this.

Miller is your starter, and Enroth is your backup. Enroth will see his share of time to provide Miller rest. End of story. There is no chance of this changing, this season, barring anything unforeseen.

Skooby
10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
absolutely not.... while enroth is a good goalie, and likely a starter on more than just a few teams in the league, Miller is the better goalie, and still bails out this team when they play like crap.... ie: montreal game

Miller is good for 1-2 softies a game, think that'll help get us out of the first round in the playoffs ? Miller better get his game racheted up a notch or two, he's been really streaky during games.

Mski
10-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Miller is your starter .... There is no chance of this changing, this season, barring anything unforeseen. i think the ~$5M difference in salaries agree

Skooby
10-28-2011, 01:05 PM
People can debate and talk all they want - "Will this push Miller? Is Enroth outplaying Miller? Is bla bla bla bla bla..."

It just sticks in my head - all the f**ktards who don't know about hockey, calling into WGR, whether it be the whiner line or anything else, talking about this.

Miller is your starter, and Enroth is your backup. Enroth will see his share of time to provide Miller rest. End of story. There is no chance of this changing, this season, barring anything unforeseen.

I may have visited the ice once or twice in my life & Enroth looks more like Hasek to me, an unorthodox chance taker who makes amazing saves. Miller looks like a guy constantly struggling to improve on the basics, so who's better in the long run is yet to be seen. All I know is the Sabres usually have good goalies & have turned out some of the best.

Like I said, it's just a question & I appreciate you deflecting your comments about ******s talking about the same thing on the radio. I find it more ******ed to hold back someone that might be able to help the team more, ******ing generally meaning to hold back.

Skooby
10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
i think the ~$5M difference in salaries agree

Miller is 31 years old & Enroth is 23, I think that & the time in the league has more to do with it.

ddaryl
10-28-2011, 02:21 PM
its not the amount of shots,

its the quality of the shots, and where they are taken.

out of 43 shots all but 8 or 9 where from the perimeter.

if you let everyone get point blank shots in front they'll score more goals than taking pot shots from the outer perimeter.

if you want to talk softies, the 20 foot wrister over Enroth's shoulder.. was kinda soft.

The one thing i haven't heard lindy say they are working on that they need to be is:
GETTING CONTROL OF THE PUCK AND GETTING IT OUT OF THE ZONE.

we cough up goals when the team is trying to get out of the zone and turns it over on a bad pass or someone being worked off the puck or someone being just plain stupid (insert any sabres player name, they are all guilty of it.)

I agree on the quality of shots.... and all... but when it comes to Miller he lets in MORE then his share of soft goals.... it's happened way to often

as for getting the puck out of our zone, we just upgraded our D with 2 highly regarded D men and we have Tyler Myers to boot... if they are struggling at that end, and they did last year too, the common denominator is Ruff. With the quality of D men we have we shouldn't be struggling our own zone as much as we appear to be

Mski
10-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I agree on the quality of shots.... and all... but when it comes to Miller he lets in MORE then his share of soft goals.... it's happened way to often

as for getting the puck out of our zone, we just upgraded our D with to highly regarded D men and we have Tyler Myers to boot... if they are struggling at that end, and they did last year too, the common denominator is Ruff. With the quality of D men we have we shouldn't be struggling our own zone as much as we appear to bethe D men are struggling to get the puck out of the zone, not because of their own bad play, but because the forwards are leaving the zone too quickly, and not properly supporting the D along the boards and against the forecheck

Skooby
10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
the D men are struggling to get the puck out of the zone, not because of their own bad play, but because the forwards are leaving the zone too quickly, and not properly supporting the D along the boards and against the forecheck

Vanek thinks to comeback has to do with the Houston Oilers / Bills playoff game.

DMBcrew36
10-28-2011, 04:08 PM
I may have visited the ice once or twice in my life & Enroth looks more like Hasek to me, an unorthodox chance taker who makes amazing saves. Miller looks like a guy constantly struggling to improve on the basics, so who's better in the long run is yet to be seen. All I know is the Sabres usually have good goalies & have turned out some of the best.

Like I said, it's just a question & I appreciate you deflecting your comments about ******s talking about the same thing on the radio. I find it more ******ed to hold back someone that might be able to help the team more, ******ing generally meaning to hold back.

I'm just saying -- there is no debate. For Lindy Ruff and the coaching staff, there is no question who their #1 goaltender is this season.

It's just a few fringe people who think its even worth discussing.

Skooby
10-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm just saying -- there is no debate. For Lindy Ruff and the coaching staff, there is no question who their #1 goaltender is this season.

It's just a few fringe people who think its even worth discussing.

We'll see, Miller looks locked in but winning is winning.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 05:51 AM
Nice problem to have IMO.

JD
10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
I still say we trade Miller in 1-2 years.

He's not getting any younger.
Enroth wont wait around much longer.
He IS ready to start.
Much cheaper.
Miller can be traded for a true #1 center.

Skooby
10-30-2011, 10:30 AM
We should all keep kissing Miller & tell him those 2 soft goals a game make him human, I just think Enroth doesn't let those goals in.

I know we need to blame the defense over the past few seasons but the problem is Miller, he's missing fundamental plays for highlight reels. It's killing our team & Enroth Needs a chance here.

clumping platelets
10-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Defense let us down last night not Miller

SabreEleven
10-30-2011, 10:46 AM

Really? the first goal was scored from the end line and Miller laid on the ground for about 5 seconds on the 2nd one.

EDIT: I just watched the highlights on NHL.com...the dude scored from BEHIND the end line and Miller was only on the ground for 4 seconds, not 5, my bad.

Skooby
10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Really? the first goal was scored from the end line and Miller laid on the ground for about 5 seconds on the 2nd one.

EDIT: I just watched the highlights on NHL.com...the dude scored from BEHIND the end line and Miller was only on the ground for 4 seconds, not 5, my bad.

LOL, it was brutal.

Skooby
10-30-2011, 10:59 AM

That's the convienent answer for the last few years, it's not going to cut it.

JD
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
He's married. Aka, the sex has come to a halt so he doesn't have much stamina and might need 5 second breaks flopping on the ice from time to time.

Skooby
11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
He's married. Aka, the sex has come to a halt so he doesn't have much stamina and might need 5 second breaks flopping on the ice from time to time.

5 is cool, 8 is a goal against.

SabreEleven
11-02-2011, 06:45 AM
5 is cool, 8 is a goal against.

Are you saying it's ok for Miller to lay on the ice for 5 seconds before getting up?

Skooby
11-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Are you saying it's ok for Miller to lay on the ice for 5 seconds before getting up?

Whatever is necessary to keep the puck out of the net, his play lately has been less than spectacular. I guessing that the wifey is distracting him from his work, women tend to do that.

SabreEleven
11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Whatever is necessary to keep the puck out of the net, his play lately has been less than spectacular. I guessing that the wifey is distracting him from his work, women tend to do that.

Except I was talking how laid on the ice for 4 seconds on the side of the net leaving it wide open the entire time.

Mski
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Except I was talking how laid on the ice for 4 seconds on the side of the net leaving it wide open the entire time.that has to be one of the weakest goals i have ever seen.... and its not like the shooter did anything to take miller off the shot, aside from skate around the net

Skooby
11-02-2011, 06:44 PM
One goal that Miller can't stop & another by him not taking the angle away.

SabreEleven
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
One goal that Miller can't stop & another by him not taking the angle away.

All 3 goals were his fault.

PTI
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
All 3 goals were his fault.

Yes, but at the same time there are crazy turnovers and lackluster effort, Ruff deserves huge blame for an effort like this, and what has happened at home so far.

BertSquirtgum
11-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Ryan Miller sucks. Been saying that for 4 years.

SabreEleven
11-02-2011, 08:45 PM
do we have a goalie controversy now?

BertSquirtgum
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I've wanted Enroth to be the starter since last year. I wish the sabres would just trade Miller for an above average center. I couldn't believe the contract when they gave it to him and i still think he is overpaid today.

JD
11-02-2011, 10:52 PM
A few of us were saying we had one.. but I guess we were wachos back then :refuse:

G Wolly
11-02-2011, 11:12 PM

No controversy, Enroth is clearly playing better right now.

Miller is still listed as the number one goalie because of what he is EXPECTED to do. He's expected to be a solid goalie. Expected to make the big stops. Expected to keep us in games.

What Lindy needs to start is start Enroth because of what he IS doing. He IS giving us a chance in these games he's played. He IS doing what he is supposed to be.

Start Enroth on Friday and on until further notice.

BertSquirtgum
11-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Yeah. I say keep playing enroth and let miller know you earn you're starting job. you don't just get it. especially when you're playing like ****.

Slim
11-03-2011, 01:37 AM
Ryan Miller sucks. Been saying that for 4 years.

He was sure terrible when he won the Vezina the season before last. Dude's a ****ing bum.

2slowtogofast
11-03-2011, 05:49 AM
play Enroth, Miller needs a wake up call. Like someone else said let the performance decide who starts for this team.

rbochan
11-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Time to ride the hot hand.

SabreEleven
11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
"They bought their tickets and they can do whatever they want," Miller said matter of factly. "They were cheering when I made a save, booing when I don't. Whatever."

Sounds like we lost Miller.

chernobylwraiths
11-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Sounds like Miller is frustrated

Yes, I think Enroth is playing better than Miller right now, but I think Miller is a better goalie

The trading Miller talk is stupid too IMO. Look what happened for the longest time when we haven't had a competent backup. Now we find one and we want to trade our starter because he hasn't come out of the gates in top form.

ddaryl
11-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Both Miller and Ruff should be taking some heat..

Miller is struggling, there is no denying that fact. Ruff has lost the knack of getting his team to over achieve. Heck the last 3 or so seasons the team has rarely put together a solid 60 minutes.

G Wolly
11-03-2011, 08:26 AM
I'm not liking Miller's attitude anymore.

Get a divorce and be good again.

Cleve
11-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Well, so far this season Jhonas has certainly played better than Miller.

However, Flyers only made 15 shots on goal for the last 54 minutes of the game after Enroth took over. I believe they made 11 shots in that first 6 minutes - that's tremendous + shots on goal per period.

The defense needed to step it up, and clearly didn't. However, Miller certainly didn't rise to the occasion. I didn't see last night's game (luckily I guess), but I did watch the Panthers' game, and Miller gave up a goal against the Panthers on Saturday where he was waaayyyyy out of position - and I was like - WTF????

My opinion hasn't changed. Ryan Miller, when he's on top of his game, is a better, more talented goalie than Jhonas Enroth. I think Entroth, though, is more CONSISTENT than Miller, and plays closer to his peak performance more often than Miller does. Jhonas always seems to play a good game and give a good effort - that cannot be said of Miller.

trapezeus
11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
couple things on this topic based on last nights game

1. the team played much better in front of enroth on the back 55 minutes than the first 5. Enroth's presence usually brings that out.

2. Miller did not seem like he was in that game at all. I think the first goal you can blame everyone. miller is down, the defensemen are looking around, nets open. Then next two were on miller. If you can see the shot, you have to stop the shot. defense could have gotten back better, but that's why you have a goalie.

3. the controversy. it shouldn't be. the sabres have had dead legs for 3 games. they are not even skating as a team. someone should get benched for saying, "we are trying too hard at home". that's been an excuse for 5 years now. And last night, no one was trying. as crappy as miller was in the first 5 minutes, having no goals on the powerplay when the calls were all one sided? that's a pathetic team.

4. Pegula-ism. he wants to win a championship, he doesn't care about the money. if that's true, miller should get benched for about 5 games now. All the salaries are what they are. Ask Enroth to show us what he has. if he wins 5 games, he's pretty much the starter until he needs a break. miller can then fight his way back into the line up. The sabres need to utilize that they have two decent goalies this year. and no one should be traded until we have confidence in another backup plan. are the amerk goalies ok, is there someone in the system? I'd hate to be looking on the FA list again. There are definitely worse goalies than miller and enroth. and i don't want to go through that again.

Skooby
11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I started this thread because it was obvious to me, Miller's pride is smarting & he needs to earn his starting spot back.

rbochan
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Detractors need to stop looking at starting Enroth as a punishment for Miller and begin looking at it as a reward and a test for Enroth who has done nothing but work his ass off at every opportunity.

Skooby
11-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Detractors need to stop looking at starting Enroth as a punishment for Miller and begin looking at it as a reward and a test for Enroth who has done nothing but work his ass off at every opportunity.

Agreed. If Enroth gets hot & we win a bunch then it'll be like Ryan who ?

JD
11-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Did you guys just see his interview on Channel 2 after practice?

Holy ****.

We've lost him. The dude is so mental, we know this.. and I just don't know how he will get out of this funk.

I hope everything is alright in the Miller household, if not.. that could **** up our entire season.

SkateZilla
11-03-2011, 04:55 PM
anyone got Video?

Skooby
11-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Holy ****.

We've lost him. The dude is so mental, we know this.. and I just don't know how he will get out of this funk.

I hope everything is alright in the Miller household, if not.. that could **** up our entire season.

He needs to get over himself, he has won nothing from a standings point. Congrats on his Vezina & I hope it makes him happy.

JD
11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
He needs to get over himself, he has won nothing from a standings point. Congrats on his Vezina & I hope it makes him happy.

I don't think he's stuck on himself.. he's quite a humble guy. He is just mental, thinks a lot.. and I KNOW the applause of him getting benched really got to him.

He sat in the locker room for the rest of the 1st period.

Skooby
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think he's stuck on himself.. he's quite a humble guy. He is just mental, thinks a lot.. and I KNOW the applause of him getting benched really got to him.

He sat in the locker room for the rest of the 1st period.

Boo hoo, maybe we should pat him again for several easy saves a night he missed.

G Wolly
11-03-2011, 10:35 PM
anyone got Video?

Sabres website is great for post-game video.

SabreEleven
11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Jerry Sullivan went off on Ryan Miller this morning on WGR and his pissy attitude especially towards the media.

Cleve
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Holy ****.

what did he say? And as SkateZilla mentioned, any links to an audio or video of this interview?

Skooby
11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
The answer right now is yes, go Enroth!!

ddaryl
11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Time to face the FACTS, this team is playing better when Enroth is in net....