TheGhostofJimKelly
10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
per gr

Ed
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
how much, how much???

HAMMER
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Sirius just mentioned as well, good news. HurkeyJerk is going to implode.

The King
10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Very good decision.

Ed
10-28-2011, 12:30 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7160727/ryan-fitzpatrick-buffalo-bills-agrees-new-contract

Looks like details aren't available yet.

Dr. Lecter
10-28-2011, 12:32 PM
59 million over 6 years

The King
10-28-2011, 12:32 PM
QB Ryan Fitzpatrick finalizing new contract today -$59 million over 6 years; $24m guaranteed; $33 million in 1st 3 yrs

kingJofNYC
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
24m guaranteed, 33m first three years.

Luisito23
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
6 years is way too long. :ill:

The King
10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I corrected your typo Ghost

Ed
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
That seems like a fair deal, but the pressure is on now. You gotta perform if you're making that kind of money.

kingJofNYC
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Years don't matter in the NFL, you can be cut at any point, his guaranteed portion is reasonable and that's what matters.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-28-2011, 12:37 PM
I corrected your typo Ghost

Thank you, I have plenty of them.

Ed
I think most if not all of the guaranteed money will be paid in the first three years. If he's not playing well in a few years they should be able to cut him without taking a big cap hit.

The King
Fits made me LOL

stuckincincy
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM

Everybody gotta keep buying those $6 beers and $4 hot dogs ! :beers:

ServoBillieves
10-28-2011, 12:40 PM
AY UH EY AY!

Happy with this, big contract for a guy who is owed it. As long as he keeps up what he's doing this is a great move.

All that aside, I have 2 words. JACKSON, JOHNSON.

You want this team to succeed and you think you have pieces in place? Those are 2 of the biggest pieces. You have your quarterback now, so give us our elite running back and #1 receiver long term too so we can build around them. Kthx.

Skooby
10-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Good for Fitz, now win us a game on Sunday.

Ed
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
And now he can buy a bigger house with enough rooms for all his teammates so they don't have to sleep on the couch!

BLeonard
10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7160727/ryan-fitzpatrick-buffalo-bills-agrees-new-contract

The extension is valued at $59 million over six years, including $24 million in guaranteed money, team and league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

Fitzpatrick's contract will average $9.987 million during the six years, but $11 million in each of the first three seasons, which are often considered the critical earning years in NFL player contracts.

They have the cap room and spent some on one of their own, productive players... I can't complain too much about that.

-Bill

HAMMER
10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Everybody gotta keep buying those $6 beers and $4 hot dogs ! :beers:

Beer is not $6 anymore.

Skooby
10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article611195.ece

This being the case, Fitz's is our franchise QB.

The Bills have not been compelled to make a long-term financial commitment to any QB since Flutie left town after the 2000 season

Cleve
10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
I might have wanted to see how well he played for a few more games before tossing him big bucks. Remember what a mistake Jauron's contract renewal was? Bills love to keep repeating the same mistakes. I don't think there was any huge clamor in the NFL from other teams hungry to sign Fitpatrick away from the Bills.

hydro
10-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I might have wanted to see how well he played for a few more games before tossing him big bucks. Remember what a mistake Jauron's contract renewal was? Bills love to keep repeating the same mistakes. I don't think there was any huge clamor in the NFL from other teams hungry to sign Fitpatrick away from the Bills.

Typical Bills fan response :rolleyes:

madness
This is definitely going to fire up the team for Sunday. Very good contract which falls right near the top of 2nd tier QB money. I don't think many will argue against him being right about there.

paladin warrior
YA that Good news. I hope Fred Jackson & Steve jackson get Contract extension soon as possible.

ddaryl
10-28-2011, 01:00 PM
a solid deal for all... Hopefully Fitz outplays his contract

It's basically a 3 year deal with the Bills holding the option for years 4,5, and 6

trapezeus
10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
i hope this is an emotional bump for the team. especially if the bills said to jackson and johnson, "now that that's done, you guys are next."

i've got my fingers crossed.

i do think that's a great deal for all involved. Fitz would go in a hot minute if on free agency. look at the teams who have nothing. if the colts had fitz, they'd be able to mask some more problems and be in the hunt for hte playoffs.

SquishDaFish
10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Awesome :clap: Now onto the other important 2

Lexwhat
10-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Looks like we got him a little cheaper than I had expected, but looks to be in the same ballpark. $24 million guaranteed is a great deal. Best case, Fitz plays all 6 years at that rate.

He will probably be our QB for at least the next 3 years. Beyond that remains to be seen. I hope we try to develop someone younger in the next year or two.

What drives contract numbers? The Market...

I think Fitz has the least chance of the 3 to run to another team. I don't care if we extend him after the season is over (in fact, I prefer it). Kolb and Cassel each got in the $10-$11 million a year range before they even played a down with their new teams. Fitz is worth more that that. 5 years, $60 million ($12 million average), with $30 million guaranteed.

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2011, 01:14 PM
how much, how much???It's big. Close to 60 million for 6 years. 24 million guaranteed. That's more guaranteed money than Aaron Rodgers got from the Packers back in '08 according to Andrew Brandt.

ddaryl
10-28-2011, 01:24 PM
It's big. Close to 60 million for 6 years. 24 million guaranteed. That's more guaranteed money than Aaron Rodgers got from the Packers back in '08 according to Andrew Brandt.

yeah but Aaron's next contract will dwarf what Fitz got.

Aarons last deal was made before he really started pouring it on

mayotm
10-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Sirius just mentioned as well, good news. HurkeyJerk is going to implode.Good. Makes the deal even sweeter.

JoeMama
10-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Six years is a little longer than I thought necessary.

Although, the way the deal is structured, it doesn't sound terribly restrictive against the cap if we part ways after year three.

Pressure's on you, Fitzy. You got your money, now add some consistency to your game.

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Now my daughter's Fitz jersey is safe for a few more years!

Philagape
10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think there was any huge clamor in the NFL from other teams hungry to sign Fitpatrick away from the Bills.

I'll just take your word for that.

Philagape
10-28-2011, 01:41 PM
In six years he'll be 35. That's just about right for a QB.

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2011, 01:43 PM
yeah but Aaron's next contract will dwarf what Fitz got.

Aarons last deal was made before he really started pouring it onWell this contract extension tosses away all doubt about how this team feels about Fitzpatrick. Like it or not, say hello to our Franchise QB. I am willing to bet I wont be the only one saying those words today. lol

wmoz11
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
*Buys Fitz Jersey*

I (along with many of you) was on this one from the start. ~10M/year with low-mid 20s guaranteed.

Great deal! Also, it shows the players in the organization and around the league that if you play/come to Buffalo and perform - you will get paid.

EDS
10-28-2011, 02:43 PM
i hope this is an emotional bump for the team. especially if the bills said to jackson and johnson, "now that that's done, you guys are next."

i've got my fingers crossed.

i do think that's a great deal for all involved. Fitz would go in a hot minute if on free agency. look at the teams who have nothing. if the colts had fitz, they'd be able to mask some more problems and be in the hunt for hte playoffs.

With Manning hurt Colts are better off losing and retooling with higher draft picks in the off-season.

northernbillfan
10-28-2011, 02:48 PM
I was waiting for this news as we all were.

Now I can go get that Fitz jersey without fear of him jumping ship in the next year or so. It won't bother me to own the jersey, even if all wee get is three years of solid play.

At least it won't be like my Poz, Lynch or McGahee jerseys.

Figster
10-28-2011, 02:49 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article611195.ece

This being the case, Fitz's is our franchise QB.

Yes he is, and at a reasonable price,

I'm willing to bet Chan Gailey is a very happy HC knowing one of his leading misfitz is going to be around for a long, long time.

Good for them and good for the Buffalo Bills,

Lets get down to business now and win a Championship!

ParanoidAndroid
10-28-2011, 02:55 PM
AY UH EY AY!

Happy with this, big contract for a guy who is owed it. As long as he keeps up what he's doing this is a great move.

All that aside, I have 2 words. JACKSON, JOHNSON.

You want this team to succeed and you think you have pieces in place? Those are 2 of the biggest pieces. You have your quarterback now, so give us our elite running back and #1 receiver long term too so we can build around them. Kthx.

This is good news.
I know it's not a popular sentiment with Jackson playing so well, but I just wonder if the Bills will seek a younger primary RB soon to become part of the QB, RB, WR nucleus. Spiller is improving but will he ever be able to take a full load?

Mski
10-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but i can see this as another "f" guy situation. i dont feel he's a long term solution for the team, and cant truely lead the team to a championship.
If this means the team is going to ignore upgrading the QB position for the next 6 years, this is a poor decision.
however, if they go out and get a young talented qb from the draft sometime in the next 3-4 years, this isnt bad at all.... no doubt Fitz is smart, and understands the playbook, and how to execute it. so as long as the team has the forethought to bring someone in to take over for him, and learn from him, i have little problem with the contract.

YardRat
10-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Please let's not throw around the 'franchise' tag with Fitz. Similar to others I like what he's shown so far, like the deal, and am glad that the team extended him with a contract that appears to be structured to be friendly for both sides but he wasn't a 'franchise' guy before the contract, and he still isn't with the new one.

Unquestioned starter at this point? Yes. Franchise? no.

better days
10-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Please let's not throw around the 'franchise' tag with Fitz. Similar to others I like what he's shown so far, like the deal, and am glad that the team extended him with a contract that appears to be structured to be friendly for both sides but he wasn't a 'franchise' guy before the contract, and he still isn't with the new one.

Profootballtalk.com classified his contract as 2nd tier QB worthy. That sounds about right to me.

Buffalogic
10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaay this makes me happy

X-Era
10-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Yep 10 mill per.

Stevie will get 8 mill per.

jamze132
10-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Hopefully this pay day won't go to his head.

Extremebillsfan247
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Unquestioned starter at this point? Yes. Franchise? no.This team doesn't give out 59 million dollar contracts too often, especially to QBs. I'm not expecting the Bills to draft a QB for at least the next 2 years now. This current Coaching Staff just decided to either sink or swim with Fitzpatrick. That is the reality of that contract.

Figster
10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

Wouldn't a franchise QB be what or whom an organization deems it is? Clearly at this point in time the franchise is much better off with Fitzpatrick then without him. In fact, Ryan Fitzpatrick is Buffalo's MVP

If you were to ask Chan Gailey who he wants leading his football team, now, and into the future, he's going to say "Ryan Fitzpatrick is the guy that fitz the Bill"

mayotm
10-28-2011, 04:15 PM
The term "Franchise Quarterback" is completely subjective and overused. I mean, what exactly is a "Franchise Quarterback"?

Figster
10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
The term "Franchise Quarterback" is completely subjective and overused. I mean, what exactly is a "Franchise Quarterback"?

To me it implies the team is happy/set at the starting QB position for the next few years and plan to build around him. Fitzpatricks 6 year contract, although on the lower end of the spectrum when compared to some of the more elite QB's in the league from a salary standpoint, still conveys a commitment from the organization long term in my opinion,

Which would make Ryan Fitzpatrick a franchise QB ( in my book )

HAMMER
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I agree with others that "franchise QB" is far too subjective of a term. However, I believe that when you commit to your QB the way the bills just did, and he is well into the top 10 in all categories, that he is your "franchise QB", sorry Rat.

stuckincincy
10-28-2011, 04:44 PM
So much capitalist money for one person. Where are those "Occupy Wall Street" folks?

Shouldn't they be camping out at One Bills Drive like they do at Babs', Alec Baldwin's, Michael Moores', Matt Damon's, Anderson Coopers', Oprah's, Al Gore's, John Kerry's digs?

Oops... :laughing:

Michael82
10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow! 6-years is a little crazy! :shocked:

And the guaranteed money is pretty high, but it's nice that the Bills are willing to pay to keep their players. Now give Freddie the raise that he deserves and then lock up Stevie Johnson.

HAMMER
10-28-2011, 05:20 PM

And the guaranteed money is pretty high, but it's nice that the Bills are willing to pay to keep their players. Now give Freddie the raise that he deserves and then lock up Stevie Johnson.

It's only 6 years if we want it to be, so it was a great move. Guaranteed money is not high at all, well in line with where he should be as a top ten QB.

imbondz
10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Good news for sure. In 6 years, after 2 SuperBowl titles, he can retire as the greatest Bill ever.

mikemac2001
10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
The big thing it shows current and new players we will pay our guys

they need to keep the trend with stevie and Freddie and people will be excited about coming to buffalo/ being in buffalo

u play we pay

BertSquirtgum
10-28-2011, 06:07 PM
59 million over 6 years
that's ludicrous.

every one of your tunes will change on this deal by week 17.

better days
10-28-2011, 06:10 PM

I think they need to lock up Stevie 1st, Freddie still has a year on his contract. They should get Freddie done, but Stevie is the priority. He is the Bills best receiver by far.

BertSquirtgum
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
It's only 6 years if we want it to be, so it was a great move. Guaranteed money is not high at all, well in line with where he should be as a top ten QB.
It was not a great move. It was the only logical move because the Bills know they have no better option. I still think he is overrated and an average quarterback and will never take the Bills to the big show.

Mahdi
10-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Hopefully he outplays his contract.

BAM
10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Great move. Now get Freddy & SJ13 locked up and the future looks bright!

Don't Panic
10-28-2011, 08:18 PM
This is a 3 year deal with a small cap hit if we release him after year 3. I love it... sets us up to draft a QB in the middle rounds in 12 or 13, or higher in 14 and groom him to be the replacemtn. Succession plan in place... that's what smart GMs do.

PromoTheRobot
10-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Typical Bills fan response :rolleyes:

Then this same numbnut will be crying why the Bills don't lock up their starters. Wahh wahh

PTR

YardRat
10-29-2011, 05:43 AM
This team doesn't give out 59 million dollar contracts too often, especially to QBs. I'm not expecting the Bills to draft a QB for at least the next 2 years now. This current Coaching Staff just decided to either sink or swim with Fitzpatrick. That is the reality of that contract.

If there is a QB available that Buddy likes, he'll take him.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 05:46 AM
Wouldn't a franchise QB be what or whom an organization deems it is? Clearly at this point in time the franchise is much better off with Fitzpatrick then without him. In fact, Ryan Fitzpatrick is Buffalo's MVP

If you were to ask Chan Gailey who he wants leading his football team, now, and into the future, he's going to say "Ryan Fitzpatrick is the guy that fitz the Bill"

No. A 'franchise' QB will earn the designation on the field, not in negotiations.

I would be hard-pressed to try to pass over Jackson in favor of Fitz as team MVP.

Figster
10-29-2011, 07:12 AM
No. A 'franchise' QB will earn the designation on the field, not in negotiations.

I would be hard-pressed to try to pass over Jackson in favor of Fitz as team MVP.

No way, you mean they actually have to earn the franchise tag somehow, hehe

As far as MVP goes, the Buffalo Bills could still win football games If CJ has to step in for Fred Jackson.

Fitzpatrick goes down theres nobody on the team to replace him and still win football games in my opinion.

To me that makes Ryan Fitzpatrick the MVP

Cleve
10-29-2011, 09:03 AM
I still think he is overrated and an average quarterback and will never take the Bills to the big show.

Exactly. And he's average - if we're lucky. Last year I believe he finished solidly in the top bottom half of QBs in terms of rating. He could be playing a little bit above the norm for him - it happens - an average is a long-term statistic. A 150 average bowler can roll a couple 200 games - doesn't make him suddenly a 200 caliber bowler. Same bowler can then come back and roll 3 or 4 120 games.

Same thing can be true of QBs. Fitzpatrick's "120 games" could be ahead of him this season. Remember Dickie Jauron - Ralph Wilson was singing the guy's praises and throwing money at him (in an uncharacteristic Wilson moment) after he won 5 games and signing him to a big expensive contract. We KNOW how that ended up.

And look at Chris Kelsay - the current regime lavished money on him for what? I still don't understand that move. What has Kelsay accomplished this season for all that coin???

This Fitzpatrick guy is veteran back-up who has worked for, and been evaluated by two other teams, and found wanting before he ended up here. He was promoted to starter by a team who's management attitude over the last several years has been "we could do worse". Excellence will not be attained with that philosophy.

better days
10-29-2011, 09:05 AM

Matt Ryan QB of the Falcons said in his opinion that an "elite" QB is a QB that gets the job done in the 4th qtr & helps his team win. I think that describes Fitz.

Figster
10-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Matt Ryan QB of the Falcons said in his opinion that an "elite" QB is a QB that gets the job done in the 4th qtr & helps his team win. I think that describes Fitz.

Seeing the field well, reading defenses well, throwing the football with good velocity into tight windows on a regular basis, good touch on the ball when needed, good wheels, good leadership qualities, all describe Elite QB.

Perfect Example of Elite QB : Aaron Rodgers

Myself personally, I would not describe Fitzpatrick as an Elite NFL QB because of arm strength/accuracy issues.

better days
10-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Seeing the field well, reading defenses well, throwing the football with good velocity into tight windows on a regular basis, good touch on the ball when needed, good wheels, good leadership qualities, all describe Elite QB.

I can't argue with your definition of "elite" QB dog, & Ryan named Rodgers & Brady along with Manning as the type of "elite" QB's he would like to be compared to.

His definition is a little different than yours & I can see a QB that wins games in the 4th qtr also as being called "elite". I don't know if Favre would have passed your description of "elite", or Peyton Manning or Big Ben either for that matter because they don't have good wheels.

BertSquirtgum
10-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Like I said in a prior post. I think most of the guys that are ready to jerk fitzpatrick off will be changing their tune by the end of the year.

Figster
10-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I can't argue with your definition of "elite" QB dog, & Ryan named Rodgers & Brady along with Manning as the type of "elite" QB's he would like to be compared to.

His definition is a little different than yours & I can see a QB that wins games in the 4th qtr also as being called "elite". I don't know if Favre would have passed your description of "elite", or Peyton Manning or Big Ben either for that matter because they don't have good wheels.

Having exceptional peripheral vision and good pocket presence/elusiveness can substitute for good wheels. Big Ben for a big fella has good wheels in my opinion.

I don't mean to imply you have to have all the attributes I listed to be an Elite Signal caller, but you would have most of them in my opinion. Elite QB's generally have special attributes that they excel at more so then most and its what sets them apart and makes them Elite.

Aaron Rodgers just happens to be blessed with everything...

better days
10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Like I said in a prior post. I think most of the guys that are ready to jerk fitzpatrick off will be changing their tune by the end of the year.

Let's hope you are wrong about that.

Don't Panic
10-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Can we PLEASE stop the Fitzpatrick to Jauron comparisons? That's like comparing peaches to prunes... magic peaches.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 12:38 PM
No way, you mean they actually have to earn the franchise tag somehow, hehe

As far as MVP goes, the Buffalo Bills could still win football games If CJ has to step in for Fred Jackson.

Fitzpatrick goes down theres nobody on the team to replace him and still win football games in my opinion.

To me that makes Ryan Fitzpatrick the MVP

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

The drop from Freddie to CJ in a full time role is just as drastic as the drop from Fitz to Thigpen, and CJ really has yet to show otherwise.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Well, there are those that think Ryan is a 'franchise' QB, but he is not.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Myself personally, I would not describe Fitzpatrick as an Elite NFL QB because of arm strength/accuracy issues.

If our 'franchise' QB isn't 'elite', than he's not really much of a 'franchise' guy, is he?

BertSquirtgum
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM
matt ryan looked like he was a franchise qb his first year but his play has really dropped off. i wonder why.

better days
10-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, there are those that think Ryan is a 'franchise' QB, but he is not.

I agree, at least up to this point in time. If I were a Falcons fan, I would be willing to give him a couple more years to see if he develops further.

better days
10-29-2011, 12:52 PM
If our 'franchise' QB isn't 'elite', than he's not really much of a 'franchise' guy, is he?

Good point. Fitz has a QB rating over 90% this year so far. The best year of his career so far. If he finishes the year like that & the Bills make the playoffs & think he is on the road to being elite. If not let's hope Nix can find a hidden gem in the draft at QB to develop.

MikeInRoch
10-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Ralph is cheap!

Oh - wait - sorry. Wrong thread.

psubills62
10-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm fine with this and I'll be fine with it at the end of the year.

But of course all this crap happens when I leave the internet behind for a day or so.

MikeInRoch
10-29-2011, 01:49 PM
This contract is appropriate for how good he is. No one is pretending he's elite, and he's not getting paid like he is.

For those who didn't want to lock him up, consider this:

a) One team would have over-paid him next year to be their QB. And it only takes one to draw him away.

b) Who would you have be the QB of Buffalo next year if it wasn't Fitz? I defy you to find a better, available quarterback.

RoscoeMagic
10-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Excellent move. :hi5:

Figster
10-29-2011, 03:26 PM

No

RoscoeMagic
10-29-2011, 03:40 PM
No

There's only about 4 guys who should be considered elite QBs. It's a selective group. Brady, Peyton, Brees and Rodgers.

The next tier has someone like Eli Manning, who while clearly is a "franchise QB" he is also clearly not an "elite" QB.

And Eli won the Giants a SB. You can have a franchise QB even if he's not an elite QB. It looks like that's what we have with Fitz at the moment.

Figster
10-29-2011, 03:47 PM
There's only about 4 guys who should be considered elite QBs. It's a selective group. Brady, Peyton, Brees and Rodgers.

The next tier has someone like Eli Manning, who while clearly is a "franchise QB" he is also clearly not an "elite" QB.

And Eli won the Giants a SB. You can have a franchise QB even if he's not an elite QB. It looks like that's what we have with Fitz at the moment.

I agree

BertSquirtgum
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM

phillip rivers is pretty damn close to elite. he is very very good.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Maybe it's just me, but 'elite' and 'franchise' go hand in hand.

RoscoeMagic
10-29-2011, 04:58 PM

He is close (although he's played like absolute dog **** this year), Big Ben is close too, I'd say closer to elite than Rivers given the 2 SBs.

RoscoeMagic
10-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Maybe it's just me, but 'elite' and 'franchise' go hand in hand.
Joe Flacco is the Ravens "franchise QB" but is he elite?

What about Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Josh Freeman, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez? The way these guys are paid and their relative youth for the position, makes them all considered "franchise QBs" by their respective franchise. As in, these are the QBs that the teams want leading them for the now and the near future (3 or so years).

None of them are elite. Elite is the top class of QBs, the best of the best. The guys that make the players around them better instead of the other way around.

better days
10-29-2011, 05:13 PM

Not so much this year. The Chargers have lost to the only 2 good teams they have played this year, The Pats* & Jets. They barely beat the Vikings, Broncos & Chiefs.

YardRat
10-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Joe Flacco is the Ravens "franchise QB" but is he elite?

What about Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Josh Freeman, Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez? The way these guys are paid and their relative youth for the position, makes them all considered "franchise QBs" by their respective franchise. As in, these are the QBs that the teams want leading them for the now and the near future (3 or so years).

None of them are elite. Elite is the top class of QBs, the best of the best. The guys that make the players around them better instead of the other way around.

None of them are 'franchise' QB's to me.

better days
10-30-2011, 08:58 AM
None of them are 'franchise' QB's to me.

I agree, but I think a few of those guys can develop into elite/franchise QBs

Figster
10-30-2011, 09:06 AM
In defense of Fitzpatrick with all this talk about franchise/elite. It takes good execution on the football field to reach an elite status which also requires a good supporting cast. I like Gaileys band of misfitz's I really do, but as a group the Bills WR's are inexperienced and average. The Bills are average at the TE position. Regardless of what folks would like to believe the Bills have an average O-line in my opinion that Chan and Fitz do a good job disguising. So you have to ask yourself, what could Fitzpatrick do with a couple of elite recievers on his offense and better protection.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has one attribute that tops Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton Manning, in fact, it tops all players and Its something that should not be underestimated. Fitzpatrick is the most intelligent player in the NFL, maybe even the most intelligent athlete in all of sports.

So lets give this Harvard Grad some more weapons/ better protection and see where it leads us...

Michael82
11-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Can we get a refund? :ill:

Mad Bomber
11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
This team is awful.

Mad Bomber
11-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Nelson has to catch that.

MikeInRoch
11-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Can we get a refund? :ill:

What, because he hits receivers who then can't pull it in? Neither pick this game was his fault.

Michael82
11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
What, because he hits receivers who then can't pull it in? Neither pick this game was his fault.

Nelson always catches everything, but I think he knew he was about to get creamed by the Dolphins DB. Plus Fitzpatrick's passes have been badly off target for the last few weeks. He is hanging his receivers out to dry!

Novacane
11-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Agree, the picks weren't. His recievers having alligator arms because he's been hanging them out to dry with all his high passes is his fault though

Johnny Bugmenot
11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I'll say this much:

There's a reason Ryan has, to date, never been a starting quarterback for a full season. He doesn't have the endurance to last 16 games. A good backup, yes, but he wears out too easily.

Borosai
11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
If this continues, I can see the Bills drafting a QB early next year. The money is gone either way, but winning would be nice.

Novacane
11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
QB is still the #1 need. We don't have a legit starting QB

Michael82
11-20-2011, 02:41 PM
QB is still the #1 need. We don't have a legit starting QB

:hi5:

BertSquirtgum
11-20-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3553217&postcount=74

BertSquirtgum
11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Please let us draft a real quarterback. Please Jesus. Please.

don137
11-20-2011, 04:45 PM
26 points 2 passing TDs and 7 ints since his contract extension in three games. Sorry, Fitz will never be a consistent NFL QB. If the Colts can draft Manning's heir apparent then so can the Bills. Fitz took the money and ran.

madness
11-21-2011, 08:29 AM
The Curse of Flutie strikes again!!!

Just ask the Texans...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/kerry_byrne/11/16/wade.phillips/

PTI
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Nelson has to catch that.

You mean for the 6 yard gain it would have been on 3rd and 10? I blame Fitz for that INT still even though it bounced off of Nelson, it had no chance of going for a first down.

Fitzpatrick is and always has been a mediocre backup QB pressed into starting.

At this point THigpen would do no worse.

TacklingDummy
11-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Please let us draft a real quarterback. Please Jesus. Please.
We got to many fluke wins to be able to be in position to get any of the good ones. Maybe next year.

Mr. Pink
11-21-2011, 10:31 AM
We can't draft a QB high in the draft for at least 3 years now fellas.

Get used to Fitzpatrick, he's going nowhere for a while.

Can't tie up that much money at one position in the salary cap era.

BertSquirtgum
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Love this thread.

BLeonard
10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7160727/ryan-fitzpatrick-buffalo-bills-agrees-new-contract

They have the cap room and spent some on one of their own, productive players... I can't complain too much about that.

-Bill

Well, in my defense, Fitz was productive at the time of the extension... The good news is, the way the deal is structured, the Bills can get out of it without taking too much of a hit.

-Bill

Skooby
10-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Well, in my defense, Fitz was productive at the time of the extension... The good news is, the way the deal is structured, the Bills can get out of it without taking too much of a hit.

-Bill

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Mahdi
12-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Bump.

I see one or two guys in the early stages of this thread that were opposed. Everyone else thought it was fair or good.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
This is why I read the post not post in the threads

YardRat
12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm still pretty comfortable with all of my comments in this thread.