• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Buffalo Bills games in Toronto are cash cows

The guys who wear suits in the Buffalo Bills' organization are adamant in their belief that the five-year deal they signed to play "home" games in Toronto is a business bonanza that has helped to keep the franchise fiscally viable.The guys who wear the team's red, white and blue uniforms understand that football is just as much a business as it is a game these days, but they don't have to like it.
    And those guys, the players, sure don't.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • dog14787
    • Oct 2010

Re: Buffalo Bills games in Toronto are cash cows

I look at the Toronto game as a unique opportunity to expand the Bills fan base into another country/ higher clientele.

It would become more of a home game atmosphere if Buffalo would start winning the games we play in Canada...

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
      Will not tolerate vandalism.
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dog14787
      I look at the Toronto game as a unique opportunity to expand the Bills fan base into another country/ higher clientele.

It would become more of a home game atmosphere if Buffalo would start winning the games we play in Canada...
      Exactly. The reason why there hasn't been the raucous atmosphere at Rogers Center that there has been at the Ralph is the fact that the Bills are 0-3 there in the regular season so far, and the last time this team's made the playoffs was eight years before the Bills showed up in T-O. While in Buffalo, you'll have a base of people who will root for a turd that's thrown onto the field (and some years I swear that's exactly what they've done), you can't expect that kind of support in a brand new market. Fan bases need to be built, and to build fans, you need to win.

Don't expect the Toronto fans to root for you when you don't give them anything to root for. Make the playoffs-- perhaps make a decent surprise run-- and then the seats will be filled with fans.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
        • Sep 2003

The lack of home crowd support is a lame excuse. Play the damn games, don't be counting jerseys in the crowd.

PTR
        10 Commandments of the D
        1. Never stop Rocking.
        2. Legalize all drugs.
        3. Quit your day job.
        4. All Religion should be taxed.
        5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
        6. F**k her gently.
        7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
        8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
        9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
        10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

The Toronto game makes me puke, it sickens me. It's a sad excuse to make extra money & the idea that we have to go somewhere else than our own sold out stadium to play is completely opaque.

I wouldn't plan on any extensions past next year or Toronto to see anymore Bills games out of Orchard Park.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
            The Toronto game makes me puke, it sickens me. It's a sad excuse to make extra money & the idea that we have to go somewhere else than our own sold out stadium to play is completely opaque.

I wouldn't plan on any extensions past next year or Toronto to see anymore Bills games out of Orchard Park.

Are you talking about RWS because we still have 3 games with thousands of tickets left. Nice rant, though.

PTR
            10 Commandments of the D
            1. Never stop Rocking.
            2. Legalize all drugs.
            3. Quit your day job.
            4. All Religion should be taxed.
            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
            6. F**k her gently.
            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Well, I agree when the Bills start winning, they will get more fans in Toronto, but the Rogers Center will NEVER have a home atmosphere like Buffalo.

For one thing even if every fan in that building were a Bills fan, "higher clientele" do cheer, they sit there & eat their brie.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                Are you talking about RWS because we still have 3 games with thousands of tickets left. Nice rant, though.

PTR
                Have all the games been sold out so far this season? What makes you think that would change ?

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                  Will not tolerate vandalism.
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Have all the games been sold out so far this season? What makes you think that would change ?
                  The same thing that happens every year this time: weather.

Comment

• thenry20
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
                    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...TS03/110300343

The guys who wear suits in the Buffalo Bills' organization are adamant in their belief that the five-year deal they signed to play "home" games in Toronto is a business bonanza that has helped to keep the franchise fiscally viable.The guys who wear the team's red, white and blue uniforms understand that football is just as much a business as it is a game these days, but they don't have to like it.
                    And those guys, the players, sure don't.
                    I'm pretty sure most ot them hate it even tho they don't acknowledge it publicly.

Don't kid yourselves when pro athletes say they don't hear the fans when they play at home or on the road. George knows what a real home field advantage sounds and feels it. The Bills aren't getting that across the border.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Johnny Bugmenot
                      The same thing that happens every year this time: weather.
                      Good point, looks like next weekend is going to be in the upper 50's (not bad).

Comment

• thenry20
                        • Jan 2004

Huh? This is a joke right? if that were true, then the Texans and Cowboys should be dying to play in Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• thenry20
                          • Jan 2004

The lack of home crowd support is a lame excuse. Play the damn games, don't be counting jerseys in the crowd.

PTR
                          LOL!

Tell that to Jim, Thurman, Bruce, Andre, etc etc etc. Playing at Rich stadium meant absolutely nothing to them! We would've made all those SB on the road regardless right?

Nice try tho.

Comment

• imbondz
                            Democrats are people too
                            • Jan 2003

the Toronto game drives me crazy every year. total bs
                            My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

PTR
                              I would think some of those tickets get sold after today.

Comment

Working...
                              X