PDA

View Full Version : No One Is Ahead Of Fred Jackson For The Next Big Contract

Night Train
10-31-2011, 04:53 AM
No disrespect to Steve Johnson or anyone else but Jackson is our heart and soul. Spare me his age (30) argument because he's not beat up like most RB's his age. He didn't even play football for 2 years after Coe College.

Keep him happy and keep winning. Make that cheap backup contract a frontline starter contract.

X-Era
10-31-2011, 05:20 AM
No disrespect to Steve Johnson or anyone else but Jackson is our heart and soul. Spare me his age (30) argument because he's not beat up like most RB's his age. He didn't even play football for 2 years after Coe College.

Keep him happy and keep winning. Make that cheap backup contract a frontline starter contract.
So I agree in principle. But there is no urgency with him. Stevie is a UFA after this season. We should make sure we pay both. We may just need to do things in a different order.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-31-2011, 05:23 AM
Why do you guys continue to argue that guys over 30 are still as durable because they didn't play football for whatever reason? The facts are all there, the body breaks down, it doesn't matter about what football you have played, where you have played it, etc. The guy is signed through next year. Nobody forced him to sign the contract he signed. I hope they do give him a contract extension, but give me a break with your arguments that have no merit. You just don't give out big contracts to RBs over 30, sorry.

Night Train
10-31-2011, 05:28 AM
So I agree in principle. But there is no urgency with him. Stevie is a UFA after this season. We should make sure we pay both. We may just need to do things in a different order.

Agree that Johnson is still a priority with his FA status and I see him getting his $$.

But Jackson is making less than most NFL backups and is racking up a high % of our total Offense all by himself. He's either 1st or 2nd in the NFL in total yardage after yesterday.

He touches the ball 5-6 times more than Johnson every week and we're obviously riding the guy.

methos4ever
10-31-2011, 05:43 AM
Keep him running angry. Pay him at end of season. Win/win.

Also, we have SIX starters that are UFAs/RFAs next year (LT, RT, RG, TE, WR and K) so we have to take care of as many as possible of them - particularly the o-line - to ensure Fred can get those yards and more in 2012.

But I get what you're saying. He just has to wait. Buddy will pay him.

X-Era
10-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Keep him running angry. Pay him at end of season. Win/win.

Also, we have SIX starters that are UFAs/RFAs next year (LT, RT, RG, TE, WR and K) so we have to take care of as many as possible of them - particularly the o-line - to ensure Fred can get those yards and more in 2012.

But I get what you're saying. He just has to wait. Buddy will pay him.

On this:

-I think they let Bell walk due to having Hairston and seeming to like him so much. I'd expect another rookie OT from the draft.
-Pears, Chandler, and Urbik will get small contracts probably a few mill per year.
-Lindell will get decent coin for a K, probably 2.5-3 mill per.
-Stevie is going to get 7-8 mill per.

TheGhostofJimKelly
10-31-2011, 06:16 AM
On this:

That better not be anywhere near the number he gets.

methos4ever
10-31-2011, 06:54 AM
On this:

-I think they let Bell walk due to having Hairston and seeming to like him so much. I'd expect another rookie OT from the draft.
-Pears, Chandler, and Urbik will get small contracts probably a few mill per year.
-Lindell will get decent coin for a K, probably 2.5-3 mill per.
-I think they'll re-sign Demetrius - he's a hard worker and I think he'll be not as expensive as you'd think...

-I think Urbik if he keeps up his play will ask for big coin. Chandler will probably make around top 10 for TE, which isn't expensive, but again you wanna make sure you sign em before they get their head turned by another team's offer.

-I'm a little worried about Moorman's kicks...

-Stevie at 7-8 makes sense, and worst case the franchise will be a down payment on his guaranteed cashola.

ddaryl
10-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Steve is ahead of Jackson based on the fact that he is a UFA after this season.. Jackson will be an offseason contract.

But I want to see Jackson get a real payday.. Hard to find another NFL player that has come as far as he has to get where he is.

Dare I say Jackson is a top MVP candidate

Night Train
10-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Dare I say Jackson is a top MVP candidate

Over Tebow ?

Impossible !

madness
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
There's a pecking order here and I'd like to think Nix is following it. Unless there are some contracts already in the works that can close quickly, I'm expecting the FO to focus on locking down the next integral franchise player after Fitz. That is with out a doubt, FJ.

clumping platelets
10-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Jackson is under contract for next season......use available 2011 cap space to resign pending UFAs

Jackson can wait until the offseason

Ebenezer
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Jackson might be fourth, even fifth on the list.

The OL is coming together. Wood and Levitre will need to be extended. Pears is playing very well. Whether it is Fitz, the OL or a combination of the three it doesn't matter. There will be some heavy coin paid out to the line.....soon.

The Bills also need another pass rusher and some help on the defense. They could also use another WR. Financially, they are in a position to really bolster the team. They have to be smart and prudent. They can't just go sign SJ and FJ to huge ballooning contracts. The bar is set with Fitz. Nobody will get close to that. SJ MIGHT get $8mil a year. FJ is going to get less.

clumping platelets
10-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I believe the plan wil, be to franchise SJ at about $10 million and then try to work out a long term deal

Ebenezer
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
I believe the plan wil, be to franchise SJ at about $10 million and then try to work out a long term deal

They may have to do that. I have no worries that SJ and FJ will both be here long term.

justasportsfan
10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
So I agree in principle. But there is no urgency with him. .

I disagree. There is urgency. He's already talked about his concerns and they supposedly already discussed it with NIx. Nix cant go back on his word.

Night Train
10-31-2011, 09:57 AM

I can't ever forsee that happening, after cutting Evans for salary reasons.

Philagape
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
I can't ever forsee that happening, after cutting Evans for salary reasons.

True, Evans was cut for salary reasons; he was making too much for a guy who was unproductive. Not the case with Stevie.

BertSquirtgum
10-31-2011, 10:25 AM

why?

TrEd FTW
10-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Johnson will get at least that amount. What do you expect?

Spiderweb
10-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I would tear up his current deal, and give him a 3 year plus deal, front loaded, to be effective now (the plus part). He's earned it, yet don't be fooled. His age does play into this. Within another year or thereabouts, Freddie will see less and less time, and will likely be used more like Tomlinson of the Jets, rather than being a feature back. With that said, Fred has been the most underpaid Bill for the past 3-4 years.

ublinkwescore
10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

George Wilson is making a case for himself as well. Byrd is showing up as well. Our Secondary is awesome at times, and disappears for small stints too.

ublinkwescore
10-31-2011, 02:04 PM
Why do you guys continue to argue that guys over 30 are still as durable because they didn't play football for whatever reason? The facts are all there, the body breaks down, it doesn't matter about what football you have played, where you have played it, etc. The guy is signed through next year. Nobody forced him to sign the contract he signed. I hope they do give him a contract extension, but give me a break with your arguments that have no merit. You just don't give out big contracts to RBs over 30, sorry.

He does deserve to be paid fairly though he is clearly the best player on the O.

thenry20
10-31-2011, 08:10 PM

I agree he is the team MVP thus far. What he needs is his contract to be re-done with added bonuses and escalator clauses put in for future performance.

acehole
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Jackson has more value over next 3-4 seasons then S Johnson.
As we see we plug any guys into this system at WR they can make due.
We only have one back worth a dam F to the J... CJ spiller light has not gone on yet.
We actually need another back in the mix next year.

Steve is a key to a successful off-season yes.

But Fred should be at top of that list.

acehole
11-01-2011, 04:54 PM
George Wilson is making a case for himself as well. Byrd is showing up as well. Our Secondary is awesome at times, and disappears for small stints too.

I think you resign any guys from this team you can.

Including these safeties.

Cb's might be expendable as they have a shorter shelf life.

We have gotten mixed results from these guys.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-02-2011, 08:12 AM
He does deserve to be paid fairly though he is clearly the best player on the O.

OK, please list the players that are getting paid a lot of money and are not doing very good that have given money back. If it is all about being paid "fairly", the players that are overpaid must have given money back. I would like you to please post your list soon. I would love to see that list.

As far as Johnson, he should be paid around 5-6 million, he wasn't even in the top 10 last season. You are paying him on potential right now.