X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

If Dareus Pans Out at NT and Kyle Comes Back

I know Kyle just signed a big contract. But let's face it, the staff intend on running 3-4 and have drafted so consistently.

Kyle Williams can net us a low 1st round pick. We just might get a QB we want to develop in those spots.

Of course, it depends on Dareus and the rest DL to play well. For two years, Nix tried to rebuild our D-Line and we are sort of seeing it now. Carrington, Dareus, Edwards. With a depth of Troup, Heard, and Spencer Johnson (who is a better fit at 3-4 DE). We are seeing the change of the guards here.
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: If Dareus Pans Out at NT and Kyle Comes Back

Easy killer.

I would rather have 2 Pro Bowl caliber DTs than 1. I'm sure most teams would too.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      I know Kyle just signed a big contract. But let's face it, the staff intend on running 3-4 and have drafted so consistently.

Kyle Williams can net us a low 1st round pick. We just might get a QB we want to develop in those spots.

Of course, it depends on Dareus and the rest DL to play well. For two years, Nix tried to rebuild our D-Line and we are sort of seeing it now. Carrington, Dareus, Edwards. With a depth of Troup, Heard, and Spencer Johnson (who is a better fit at 3-4 DE). We are seeing the change of the guards here.
      Heard was playing NT though. Dareus was at DE.

Comment

• Bangarang
        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Mahdi
        Heard was playing NT though. Dareus was at DE.
        Dareus started at NT and played much of the game there.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Why trade Williams? Keep them both obviously....

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

Hell NO! Williams can play DE. NEVER trade either of them. Both elite

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Kyle Williams is elite at 4-3 under tackle. I don't know that he is elite at 3-4 NT.

So when the Bills go to 4-3 mode, he'll be at his best. But we know the majority of the time, we are playing 3-4.

The way I see it, this team is continue to draft 3-4 players and I certainly see the focus will be on linebacker positions the next draft. people like Kelsay will be gradually phased out.

Kyle Williams is a pro-ball player, just not at his best for the system the Bills deploy and I don't think he's a player you build your defense on. Dareus is potentially one, though.

We'll see how the staff use Kyle Williams. I know Belichick in NE mixed up his staple of DT/DE very well during their peak years. I just know so far in the first 5 games, our D-line was not as effective as we had hoped.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I would only consider trading Kyle Williams if we got a player of equal value in return at a position of need (LB, OL, DB, etc)

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

I think we're overconcerned about players being categorized in certain positions. The Bills this year have shown a lot of looks on the line, a lot of player combos.
                  I don't see how anyone can call them a prototypical 3-4, with all the times the outside "linebackers" have been on the line on all fours.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Amen. Half of the league is using a 3-4 variant that actually puts the equivilant of four DL on the field. The Bills are technically playing a 5-2 with 2 standing ends (which is actually a varient on an older style of defense). The NT in essence is a NG with two DTs and two standing DEs. If it works they could wear pink tutus for all I care.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

And there's no way we'd get a 1st round pick for Kyle anyway.

The only team that trades first-round picks for existing players is the Oakland Raiders, and they're out of first-round picks until like 2020.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• methos4ever
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
                        Kyle Williams is elite at 4-3 under tackle. I don't know that he is elite at 3-4 NT.

So when the Bills go to 4-3 mode, he'll be at his best. But we know the majority of the time, we are playing 3-4.

The way I see it, this team is continue to draft 3-4 players and I certainly see the focus will be on linebacker positions the next draft. people like Kelsay will be gradually phased out.

Kyle Williams is a pro-ball player, just not at his best for the system the Bills deploy and I don't think he's a player you build your defense on. Dareus is potentially one, though.

We'll see how the staff use Kyle Williams. I know Belichick in NE mixed up his staple of DT/DE very well during their peak years. I just know so far in the first 5 games, our D-line was not as effective as we had hoped.
                        We can still run 3-4 over and under and use both Dareus at NT and Kyle at 3 tech and be a penetrating 3-4 like Wade had here. No trade needed. If anything we get more pressure!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

Trading away a pro-bowl player in a hope that a different / better player can be drafted at another position ? Are you kidding me here ?
                          Last edited by Skooby; 10-31-2011, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                            • Jul 2005

Guys, Kyle Williams made the Pro Bowl last year in our current system. Let's not translate this year's performance, while he's been playing hurt, into evidence that he can't perform at a top level in our system. To me, he's already proven he can. And he's still young.

Kyle Williams is not a guy you trade for a draft pick.
                            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

What makes you think we can get a 1st rounder for Kyle? When Shaun Rogers was at the top of his game and was one of the dominant DT's in the NFL, the compensation was a 3rd rounder and leigh bodden. I dont think we'd get anything close to a 1st and prolly not even a 2nd rounder.

Just because we have 2 good players at 1 position doesnt mean we need to trade one of them. Also, Dareus can play 3-4 end so I personally think it would be terrible to trade away one of our most consistent players, and one that seems to actually want to be in Buffalo.

Comment

Working...
                              X