• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Is It Safe To Say Moats...

..is the Maybin we never saw ?
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Is It Safe To Say Moats...

Originally posted by Night Train
    ..is the Maybin we never saw ?
    Does he have more than 0 sacks?

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

He's an almost identical style rusher. Up the field, circle back and get to the QB. He is still extremely raw.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DBrown77
        Watching the Bills suck since 1999
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        He's an almost identical style rusher. Up the field, circle back and get to the QB. He is still extremely raw.
        Maybin gets manhandled, but Moats can hold his own for the most part. Also Moats makes his turn a lot quicker.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DBrown77
          Maybin gets manhandled, but Moats can hold his own for the most part. Also Moats makes his turn a lot quicker.
          I dont disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that Moats like Maybin is a speed outside rush LB who can't use his hands well, and has little to no inside counter move. His sacks are based almost exclusively on good coverage because he takes a round about way.
          COMING SOON...

Comment

• Spiderweb
            ....formerly OhBF
            • Sep 2003

I dont disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that Moats like Maybin is a speed outside rush LB who can't use his hands well, and has little to no inside counter move. His sacks are based almost exclusively on good coverage because he takes a round about way.
            Moats can provide some bull rush capabilities as well as speed. Sure, he has to learn a few more pass rush techniques but has shown some ability, whereas the lasting image in my mind of Maybin was in preseason when he rushed and a RB knocked him airborne and onto his ass.
            Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
            own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
              • Sep 2002

I believe there is one thing missing in a comparison to Maybin: the effort Moats put into the game far exceeds what I saw Maybin do.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Spiderweb
                Moats can provide some bull rush capabilities as well as speed. Sure, he has to learn a few more pass rush techniques but has shown some ability, whereas the lasting image in my mind of Maybin was in preseason when he rushed and a RB knocked him airborne and onto his ass.
                Havent seen it use it effectively yet. He gets some push but nothing that collapses the pocket. OT usually regains pretty quickly. Size is a factor in that.
                COMING SOON...

Comment

• JoeMama
                  Emotion Sickness
                  • Oct 2002

Picking Maybin in the draft

In what plane of reality did that pick make any sense, on any level?

That draft pick was Dick Jauron's final "**** you" to Buffalo fans - since he's the guy who lobbied to draft him.

Thanks Dick/Marv era for that gem.
                  Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                    • Sep 2003

Havent seen it use it effectively yet. He gets some push but nothing that collapses the pocket. OT usually regains pretty quickly. Size is a factor in that.
                    Please see last washington offensive play...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

How's Maybin doing so far for the Jets?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                        Please see last washington offensive play...
                        If you have to reference the last offensive play by a team that had already lost a game that's not a good example.

Context very much matters, which is why many people got excited but only to a certain extent by Merriman's great preseason.

I need to see him do it when we need a big sack or when the game is not in hand.
                        COMING SOON...

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
                          How's Maybin doing so far for the Jets?
                          He's got 3 sacks and forced 3 fumbles.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                            • Sep 2003

If you have to reference the last offensive play by a team that had already lost a game that's not a good example.

Context very much matters, which is why many people got excited but only to a certain extent by Merriman's great preseason.

I need to see him do it when we need a big sack or when the game is not in hand.
                            here is your quote "Havent seen it use it effectively yet. He gets some push but nothing that collapses the pocket. OT usually regains pretty quickly. Size is a factor in that."

ROFL, ok bull rush of LT pushing the pocket, you asked for it Moats provided it. It was not a blitz, it was a 4 man rush. You are evaluating the player not the game. He displayed the ablity which is what you wanted to see. PS there are more examples.
                            Last edited by alohabillsfan; 11-01-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                              here is your quote "Havent seen it use it effectively yet. He gets some push but nothing that collapses the pocket. OT usually regains pretty quickly. Size is a factor in that."

ROFL, ok bull rush of LT pushing the pocket, you asked for it Moats provided it. It was not a blitz, it was a 4 man rush. You are evaluating the player not the game. He displayed the ablity which is what you wanted to see. PS there are more examples.
                              When evaluating the player the context of the game matters. It the LT blows a blocking assignment and Moats gets a free sack you don't credit Moats for making a great play.

Just as if the starting LT is out and Moats beats a third string LT again that's not going to impress...well...anybody.

Context matters when evaluating the player. Otherwise preseason superstars would be regular season players but they aren't.

If you have another example Id be glad to hear it and review it.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X