PDA

View Full Version : Chan v.s. Ryan

imbondz
11-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Did Chan out coach Belichick and Andy Reid in those games do you think?

How much of our success this year is attributed to our coach? 100%? 90%?...

Cleve
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm reserving judgment for a few more weeks. I'm thinking maybe the 20th after the Fins game I'll post my thoughts.

justasportsfan
11-01-2011, 03:46 PM

How much of our success this year is attributed to our coach? 100%? 90%?...

our players are a bunch of nobodies either drafted late or undrafted, you would think they have less talent than a team like the Eagles who were considered the dream team .

With that being said I guess you can say that a talentless team beat a talented team via coaching. Maybe you can say our coaching team got our talent to gel sooner than the eagles did but either ways thats a coaching success

Jan Reimers
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Chan seemed to make better halftime adjustments than Belicheck and the Raiders' Jackson, and flat out coached Reid, Haley (KC's guy?) and Shanahan.

I think Lewis and and Coughlin made better halftime adjustments, however.

imbondz
11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Chan seemed to make better halftime adjustments than Belicheck and the Raiders' Jackson, and flat out coached Reid, Haley (KC's guy?) and Shanahan.

I agree, but I also heard that halftime adjustments is a bunch of bull in the NFL. Someone on ESPN said players have enough time to change uniforms and go the bathroom and that's about it.

Figster
11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
our players are a bunch of nobodies either drafted late or undrafted, you would think they have less talent than a team like the Eagles who were considered the dream team .

With that being said I guess you can say that a talentless team beat a talented team via coaching. Maybe you can say our coaching team got our talent to gel sooner than the eagles did but either ways thats a coaching success

Good point, the current Buffalo Bills football team are a bunch of nobodies, yet Gaileys misfitz are winning football games against teams with more talent.

Chan is the man...

Figster
11-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I agree, but I also heard that halftime adjustments is a bunch of bull in the NFL. Someone on ESPN said players have enough time to change uniforms and go the bathroom and that's about it.

Halftime adjustment are more on the coaching side of things from a scheming/play calling perspective and would probably have very little to no effect on a players break in between the 1st and 2nd half in my opinion.

The last buffalo fan
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM

I think that in our two loses, it was more players execution than coaching.

Extremebillsfan247
11-01-2011, 07:04 PM

How much of our success this year is attributed to our coach? 100%? 90%?... In all reality, Chan Gailey only adds up to a portion of the success. Not many mention the success his staff is having, in particularly the beautiful work of his Oline Coach for example. JMO

TigerJ
11-01-2011, 10:15 PM
I think halftime adjustments are mostly in what the coaches do to adjust their play calling, both offensively and defensively. As has been suggested, by the time a player drops his drawers, goes pee, and gets them back up again, there's not enough time for coaches to go into any detailed instruction with the players. A word or two dealing with motivation, if play on the field is sloppy and uninspired, is about all a coach can do with the players.

Obviously, Chan is the real deal when scheming offensively. He knows how to put players in positions to do good things, but no name or not, I wouldn't say Buffalo's players are talentless. Fred Jackson doesn't have an elite 40 time or superior explosion through the line, but he does have terrific vision. He knows when to make a cut. He's great at using his blockers. He may be the best blocking running back in the NFL, and he has great hands for receiving. So what if he came out of Coe College. I'd say on balance he's pretty talented. I think part of the credit has to go to the Bills scouting staff over the last 10 years. As lousy as they have been drafting in the first round, they have been terrific at finding guys in the late rounds and undrafted who can play. Think where we'd be if the Bills had been able to draft well in every round AND find quality undrafted guys.

jamze132
11-02-2011, 08:47 AM
I don't think hal-time adjustments are a bunch of BS at all. It doesn't take long to flip the script and tell your OC and DC what he wants to see more of in the 2nd half. Probably takes 12 seconds to tell your DC he wants to see more blitz and about 4 seconds to tell your OC to throw the ball deep a couple of times.

jamze132
11-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I think halftime adjustments are mostly in what the coaches do to adjust their play calling, both offensively and defensively. As has been suggested, by the time a player drops his drawers, goes pee, and gets them back up again, there's not enough time for coaches to go into any detailed instruction with the players. A word or two dealing with motivation is play on the field is sloppy and uninspired is about all a coach can do with the players. Obviously, Chan is the real deal when scheming offensively. He knows how to put players in positions to do good things. No name or not, I wouldn't say Buffalo's players are talentless. Fred Jackson doesn't have an elite 40 time or superior explosion through the line, but he does have terrific vision. He knows when to make a cut. He's great at using his blockers. He may be the best blocking running back in the NFL, and he has great hands for receiving. So what if he came out of Coe College. I'd say on balance he's pretty talented. I think part of the credit has to go to the Bills scouting staff over the last 10 years. As lousy as they have been drafting in the first round, they have been terrific at finding guys in the late rounds and undrafted who can play. Think where we'd be if the Bills had been able to draft well in every round AND find quality undrafted guys.
We might finally be there. Drafting Dareus and Shepherd come to mind.

better days
11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't think hal-time adjustments are a bunch of BS at all. It doesn't take long to flip the script and tell your OC and DC what he wants to see more of in the 2nd half. Probably takes 12 seconds to tell your DC he wants to see more blitz and about 4 seconds to tell your OC to throw the ball deep a couple of times.

Agreed, while the players are changing uniforms & taking a dump, the coaches are going over what happened in the 1st half.

trapezeus
11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
chan has made second half adjustments in: KC, Oakland, NE. We won those games.

He did not make the better second half adjustments in: Cincy, Eagles, Giants. Eagles game we held on, the other two we lost.

Washington wasn't even there for most of that game. The bills could have and most likely should have trotted out their backups in the 4th quarter and run the dick jauron offense and they still would have won.

chan is probably hovering around 50% for me now on games won in the second half.

TigerJ
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
We might finally be there. Drafting Dareus and Shepherd come to mind. I agree absolutely. In Dareus, Buddy Nix did not out think himself like GMs have done forever in Buffalo. Dareus had great measurables for a big defensive lineman (DT/3-4 DE)along with a great attitude, great college preparation and great college production. He was almost a "can't miss" selection.

In Sheppard, the Bills chose production intelligence and instinct over measurables. I forget his name, but the player many rated as the top ILB in the draft was still available when Buffalo picked Sheppard. The problem was, he was less productive and instinctive than Sheppard, even though he had far better measurables. I'm not criticizing the pick at all. If you're not picking in the top half of round one, and Buffalo only had one pick there, the player is going to be missing in some area that teams use to evaluate players. In Sheppard's case, it was his 40 time.