PDA

View Full Version : Do agree/disagree with Williamson's take on Fitzpatrick?

Oaf
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
“He’s a nice player and he’s helped make it an exciting time in Buffalo, but I can’t call him elite," Williamson said. “And I don’t think he’s ever going to become elite. His physical tools are average and his intelligence makes him a slightly above-average starting quarterback. He fits nicely in their system and he has great intangibles. All that is wonderful, but I’m not sure he ultimately is the guy who can get you where you want to go."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26990/pat-yasinskas-qb-watch-8

Public poll.

BertSquirtgum
11-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I think most posters on here know that I agree. I'm still happy that we have Fitz at the helm at this point. There isn't another option out there that would allow the Bills to be as good as they are right now.

bills4ver
11-02-2011, 06:49 PM
who knows if he will ever be elite but did anyone ever think he would be as good as he is currently when we signed him as a back-up to Trent Edwards?

He makes mistakes like any QB but overall is above average and smarter than most QB's.

I think he can and will take us to the playoffs and from there at least we got a chance.

YardRat
11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
I agree that he's not elite, but disagree that he can't be the guy under center in order for us to succeed. Build around him, and he's more than capable of being successful in the playoffs.

Jeff1220
11-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree with most of the assessment, but disagree that he would be incapable of taking the Bills where they need to be. Chemistry counts for a lot in this game and Fitz is a big part of this team's chemistry and identity. (Both things the Bills have been w/o for a long long time).

jimbohastle51
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
he is an average to below average QB on most teams. but this is a system league and he is an above average QB in this system. as long as the short-medium run heavy spread offense is here he will do fine BUT he will always and i mean always make some INT's happen that you will say "why in the heck did he throw that ball" or "that ball was not even in the area of accurate"

Oaf
11-02-2011, 07:07 PM
who knows if he will ever be elite but did anyone ever think he would be as good as he is currently when we signed him as a back-up to Trent Edwards?

He makes mistakes like any QB but overall is above average and smarter than most QB's.

I think he can and will take us to the playoffs and from there at least we got a chance. At some point we got to stop considering "an improvement from Trent Edwards" to a "consistently 10-6 quarterback" with the moxie/skills/stamina to play well during playoffs.

spacecowboy
11-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't really care if he is elite or not. Just win. Was Trent Dilfer elite? Does he have a superbowl ring? Have a good TEAM and you can win. Get to the playoffs and anything can happen. Would you say Eli is better then Brady? I don't think so. Who won when is counted?

B-DON
11-02-2011, 07:44 PM
At some point we got to stop considering "an improvement from Trent Edwards" to a "consistently 10-6 quarterback" with the moxie/skills/stamina to play well during playoffs.
Well isn't that what fitz is on pace to do with this team?

PTI
11-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I said I agree, even though I think he is not even as good as Williamson gives him credit for.

PromoTheRobot
11-02-2011, 07:54 PM
W's are what matter in the end. Joe Montana was not god's gift to football as far as skills, but he had Jerry Rice (a small school wonder) and Bill Walsh as a coach. Together they created a football machine. Maybe that's what Chan, Fitz and Freddy become.

One thing that is proven is that the media doesn't know dick.

PTR

psubills62
11-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Who on earth said he was elite? Nobody said he was elite, and the money he's being paid isn't elite. Fitzpatrick isn't elite, but he's done very well. He's more than slightly above average, he's above average, period.

I think Fitzpatrick is a guy who can take us where we want to go.

ParanoidAndroid
11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
not by himself, anyway..... he's no Manning.

imbondz
11-03-2011, 12:22 AM
W's are what matter in the end. Joe Montana was not god's gift to football as far as skills, but he had Jerry Rice (a small school wonder) and Bill Walsh as a coach. Together they created a football machine. Maybe that's what Chan, Fitz and Freddy become.

One thing that is proven is that the media doesn't know dick.

PTR

Mmmm. Joe Montana was unstoppable, especially in the 4th quarter. In my opinion the greatest quarterback of all time. Brady and Manning are close tho.

But I do agree that who knows what Chan, Fitz and Freddy can become.

Romes
11-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I agree with most of the assessment, but disagree that he would be incapable of taking the Bills where they need to be. Chemistry counts for a lot in this game and Fitz is a big part of this team's chemistry and identity. (Both things the Bills have been w/o for a long long time).

Agreed. He beat Brady (not alone obviously) and has shown a good level of consistency (except for maybe against the NYG). That's where I want to be. With that, a little luck, and a hot streak... you never know...

PromoTheRobot
11-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Mmmm. Joe Montana was unstoppable, especially in the 4th quarter. In my opinion the greatest quarterback of all time. Brady and Manning are close tho.

But I do agree that who knows what Chan, Fitz and Freddy can become.

What were the OAK and NE games? Chopped liver? Couple games last year, too. What's a guy gotta do to earn some props?

PTR

ddaryl
11-03-2011, 07:17 AM
I agreed to most of it till the end.. Slightly better then average QB's have won quite a few Superbowls

Forward_Lateral
11-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Agree with Ddaryl. You don't have to be an elite QB to win a superbowl. Doug Williams, Phil Simms, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, the list goes on and on.

DraftBoy
11-03-2011, 07:35 AM
He's not elite and I dont think any fans consider him to be such.

Can he get us to where we want to go? Well that depends on where you want to go? Can he get us into the playoffs? Yes I believe so. Can he win us a playoff game though? Well that's where my confidence begins to get shaky.

We'll hopefully find out this year though.

PTI
11-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Agree with Ddaryl. You don't have to be an elite QB to win a superbowl. Doug Williams, Phil Simms, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, the list goes on and on.

You do in the last 10 years!!! You cannot compare those eras with today's football. It is not even the same game with the rule changes for QBs and WRs. Out of the AFC, in the last 10 years, Brady went the Super Bowl 4 times, Rothlisberger 3 times, and Manning 2 times, the other one? Rich Gannon, and he was league MVP that year. If you do not have an elite QB or your QB is not playing at an elite level, at least in the AFC, you will not make it to the Super Bowl.

jamze132
11-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I agree with some of his points but not with others.

It doesn't take an "elite" QB to win a friggin' Super Bowl.

RedEyE
11-03-2011, 07:40 AM
I think it's unfair to judge at this point.

Let's just dream a bit and say that he leads the Bills to back to back Super Bowls this year and next playing and managing the game in the same manner he has to date. Is he still just an above average QB?

I mean, granted, he doesn't appear to have the same abilites as a Tom Brady or an Aaron Rogers, but time is still on his side. He seems to be just now coming into his own.

I will say that he has one of the best quick releases I have seen in the league this season. To make that happen it takes incredible talent to properly read the defense at the line and striking accuracy to hit the target in quick stride.

Still too many question marks. I will reserve judgment.

The King
11-03-2011, 07:42 AM
you dont have to be Aaron Rodgers to win a Super Bowl... just ask Troy Aikman.

PTI
11-03-2011, 07:45 AM
I agree with some of his points but not with others.

It doesn't take an "elite" QB to win a friggin' Super Bowl.

In the last 10 years it sure seems to.

better days
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM
You do in the last 10 years!!! You cannot compare those eras with today's football. It is not even the same game with the rule changes for QBs and WRs. Out of the AFC, in the last 10 years, Brady went the Super Bowl 4 times, Rothlisberger 3 times, and Manning 2 times, the other one? Rich Gannon, and he was league MVP that year. If you do not have an elite QB or your QB is not playing at an elite level, at least in the AFC, you will not make it to the Super Bowl.

So you are saying Brad Johnson is elite? As a Bucs fan I don't think so myself.

The rules changes are the same for the NFC as the AFC, so don't say the Bucs won the Super Bowl with Johnson because they were in the NFC.

OpIv37
11-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Fitz isn't elite. But, how many QB's in the NFL are "elite?"

I'd say Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, and Rodgers. That's it.

And plenty of teams are successful without elite QB's: Baltimore and Pittsburgh come immediately to mind. The Jets made the playoffs with Sanchez last year.

better days
11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
I voted disagree. I don't think Fitz is elite............at least not at this point in time. Nobody knows how much he will improve in the coming years.

I think he could win a Super Bowl the way he is playing now with the right team around him. A few more additions & watch out for the Bills next year. I see a Buffalo stampede on the horizon.

Jimbuktu
11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
I kind of see Fitz as a Pennington in his prime before the injuries. With a bit of a stronger arm though.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
On the first part, I do mostly agree. Elite quarterbacks make it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and I'm not seeing Fitzpatrick making it that far. However, there are very few elite QBs in the NFL. Tom Brady and maybe Aaron Rodgers strike me as the top two right off the bat. You have to have several years of excellence to earn the "elite" label, and Fitz is still in his first year as a full-time starter. Even if he turns out like Brady, he's not elite. Yet.

On the second part, I disagree. This is the NFL, and stranger things have happened with average quarterbacks. Donovan McNabb was not a very good quarterback but was able to lead his team to four consecutive NFC title games. The right combination of a good supporting cast, competent QBing (which is what Fitzpatrick does best) and luck can get any NFL team in the Super Bowl-- except maybe the Browns.

jamze132
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
In the last 10 years it sure seems to.
Really? Eli Manning? Brad Johnson? Trent Dilfer (11)?

Ginger Vitis
11-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I'd say Brady, Peyton Manning, Brees, and Rodgers. That's it.

Ben Roethlisberger or Mike Vick doesn't make your "elite" club?

justasportsfan
11-03-2011, 10:26 AM
he's elite under Chan Gailey but dont think he would be under any other coach.

PTI
11-03-2011, 10:51 AM
So you are saying Brad Johnson is elite? As a Bucs fan I don't think so myself.

The rules changes are the same for the NFC as the AFC, so don't say the Bucs won the Super Bowl with Johnson because they were in the NFC.

Besides the fact I said AFC, all were either elite, or played like elite QBs in the last 10 years.

Really only Grossman didn't fit that.

You do realize Brad Johnson was fantasitic that season. For the Bills to maybe win a Super Bowl this year you need fantastic play, like Johnson had, and what was funny is he still had an eilite defense and minimal weapons on offense. BRAD JOHNSON WAS THE 3RD RATED QB IN THE NFL IN 2002!!! 93 QB rating, 22 TDs, only 6 INTs, dude was steller, and that was in 13 games.

As far as Eli Manning, had almost 100 QB rating in the playoffs that season.

TheBrownBear
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
What exactly is elite? If you mean Aaron Rodgers. Fitz will never be Aaron Rodgers. He just doesn't have those kinds of physical gifts.

He is, however, already an above average to, dare I say, very good quarterback in this league and there's no reason to believe he won't continue to get better. Drew Brees has a pretty average arm and look what he's accomplished in the second half of his career. I really believe that Fitz has the tools to become "elite" in a Drew Brees sort of way. Will it happen? Who knows. But I'm content to sit back and enjoy the ride as long as we keep winning.

better days
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Besides the fact I said AFC, all were either elite, or played like elite QBs in the last 10 years.

Really only Grossman didn't fit that.

You do realize Brad Johnson was fantasitic that season. For the Bills to maybe win a Super Bowl this year you need fantastic play, like Johnson had, and what was funny is he still had an eilite defense and minimal weapons on offense. BRAD JOHNSON WAS THE 3RD RATED QB IN THE NFL IN 2002!!! 93 QB rating, 22 TDs, only 6 INTs, dude was steller, and that was in 13 games.

As far as Eli Manning, had almost 100 QB rating in the playoffs that season.

Again I ask what is the difference between AFC & NFC as far as QB play goes. The rules are the same for both conferences.

Johnson had a career year that year. Along with Manning the year he won it all, that is my point. a decent QB can have a good year & take his team far.

Extremebillsfan247
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/26990/pat-yasinskas-qb-watch-8

Public poll.I partially agree. Fitzpatrick is not an elite QB. But to assume he will never win anything because he isn't an elite QB would be a mistake. His journey to the top should he get there wont happen by his efforts alone. Nor does it have to. Winning a playoff game, or a Super Bowl doesn't make a Quarterback elite. Dominating his competition over the course of a career does. JMO

Beebe's Kid
11-04-2011, 04:06 PM
I like the names that some of you list as elite... It would appear for Fitz to be considered anywhere near good enough, he would just have to make the playoffs every year, and the Super Bowl every other.

There are a lot of names being thrown around that haven't played in the Playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl. There are also only a couple guys that have won one.

The discussion of elite, or "franchise," or whatever the hell you want to call it is asinine.

If we make the playoffs, and Fitz plays like he did the first couple weeks, I wouldn't bet against him. Is he setting records every week, of course not. NOBODY IS. Even Manning has bad games, and (gasp) Brady, too!!!

Last I checked it was November and we were in first place in the division. We have twice as many wins as many of the posters here predicted, but still no love. Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Quit splitting hairs and worrying about "elite" and "franchise" and enjoy the ****ing ride.

Of course there is the fact that he just signed a fat extension...so whether you think so or not, he is the franchise's QB for the foreseeable future, anyways.

Johnny Bugmenot
11-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I like the names that some of you list as elite... It would appear for Fitz to be considered anywhere near good enough, he would just have to make the playoffs every year, and the Super Bowl every other.

There are a lot of names being thrown around that haven't played in the Playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl. There are also only a couple guys that have won one.

The discussion of elite, or "franchise," or whatever the hell you want to call it is asinine.

If we make the playoffs, and Fitz plays like he did the first couple weeks, I wouldn't bet against him. Is he setting records every week, of course not. NOBODY IS. Even Manning has bad games, and (gasp) Brady, too!!!

Last I checked it was November and we were in first place in the division. We have twice as many wins as many of the posters here predicted, but still no love. Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Quit splitting hairs and worrying about "elite" and "franchise" and enjoy the ****ing ride.

Of course there is the fact that he just signed a fat extension...so whether you think so or not, he is the franchise's QB for the foreseeable future, anyways.
Why don't you quit oozing disdain and arrogant sarcasm in every post you make?

JCBills
11-04-2011, 04:45 PM
he is an average to below average QB on most teams. but this is a system league and he is an above average QB in this system. as long as the short-medium run heavy spread offense is here he will do fine BUT he will always and i mean always make some INT's happen that you will say "why in the heck did he throw that ball" or "that ball was not even in the area of accurate"

NCAA is about systems. The NFL is about talent and just being a bad, bad man.

TigerJ
11-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I mostly agree, but there are points at which I think he may be a bit off. I don't regard Fitz as elite, but he might be good enough to win you a Super Bowl in spite of it.