PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, Ruff needs to go

PTI
11-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Too many slow starts, inconsistent play, I am sick of him. Wish they replaced him before the year started. This team just goes through phases every year where they have no response to his stale coaching at all.

YardRat
11-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Too early, and it's still preseason. Every season when the team hits a little slide the 'Ruff must go!' chants start up.

Wait and see how they do in the playoffs when the real games begin.

Ebenezer
11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
So many new things with this team from the top on down. Got to wait 40 games to really make a judgement.

SabreEleven
11-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Ruff needs to take a page from Gailey's book, build your system around your players, not make your players play your system when they don't fit in your system.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-03-2011, 05:09 AM
It appears that Pegula is in man-love with Lindy so I would think that it won't happen.

OpIv37
11-03-2011, 09:21 AM
So many new things with this team from the top on down. Got to wait 40 games to really make a judgement.

This happens every year- here's the timeline:

1. The team struggles
2. Someone complains about the fact that the team is struggling
3. Someone else points out that it's a long season and it's too early to draw conclusions.
4. The original complainant responds by saying the problems plaguing the team are the same problems that have plagued them for years and will come back to bite them in the ass yet again because they were never properly addressed.
5. The team ends up either missing the playoffs or, at best, having an early playoff exit.

Hmmm.......

I've been largely quiet on the Ruff issue because I thought the critics were being a little too harsh but I'm starting to come around. It's getting harder and harder to defend him. He had tons of talent in the Briere/Drury days and he has significantly better talent now than he's had the last couple of years, but he still can't get the job done.

It's just like with the Bills' struggles: the only consistent factor is Ralph. Well, with the Sabres, ownership has changed twice and the only consistent factor is Lindy Ruff. I like the fact that we have an ex-Buffalo Sabres tough guy as our coach, and there is no doubt that he has meant a lot to this franchise. But it's stupid to keep him around for loyalty when he isn't getting the job done.

Skooby
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Better chance of hitting the lottery than this, Miller needs replacing.

SabreEleven
11-03-2011, 09:36 AM
This happens every year- here's the timeline:

1. The team struggles
2. Someone complains about the fact that the team is struggling
3. Someone else points out that it's a long season and it's too early to draw conclusions.
4. The original complainant responds by saying the problems plaguing the team are the same problems that have plagued them for years and will come back to bite them in the ass yet again because they were never properly addressed.
5. The team ends up either missing the playoffs or, at best, having an early playoff exit.

Hmmm.......

I've been largely quiet on the Ruff issue because I thought the critics were being a little too harsh but I'm starting to come around. It's getting harder and harder to defend him. He had tons of talent in the Briere/Drury days and he has significantly better talent now than he's had the last couple of years, but he still can't get the job done.

It's just like with the Bills' struggles: the only consistent factor is Ralph. Well, with the Sabres, ownership has changed twice and the only consistent factor is Lindy Ruff. I like the fact that we have an ex-Buffalo Sabres tough guy as our coach, and there is no doubt that he has meant a lot to this franchise. But it's stupid to keep him around for loyalty when he isn't getting the job done.

You fit under #2 and #4.

OpIv37
11-03-2011, 09:38 AM
You fit under #2 and #4.

Today, the part of Captain Obvious will be played by SabreEleven.

SabreEleven
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Today, the part of Captain Obvious will be played by SabreEleven.

Thank you, I'll be here all week....

Although I agree that Ruff is the change that needs to be made, they'll never let him go. They are convinced he is the answer. Who whould they bring in?

Skooby
11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Thank you, I'll be here all week....

Although I agree that Ruff is the change that needs to be made, they'll never let him go. They are convinced he is the answer. Who whould they bring in?

Al Arbour, LOL.

SabreEleven
11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Scotty Bowman

PTI
11-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I wanted Kevin Dineen before he could get away. He was pretty familiar with a lot of the guys already. I doubt everything was exactly the same between he and Ruff. As for now, it is just complaining for me, I guess, there is no one that can really come in now, at least at any point in the season. Unless th Sabres are a complete debacle, Ruff would resign before being fired.

SkateZilla
11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Wait and see how they do in the playoffs when the real games begin.

Keep playing this way we wont make the playoffs.

Electrici
11-04-2011, 12:13 AM
The team started much worse last year and all these same things were said... why must it be said again this year?

The team will be fine and make the playoffs. They may not be the super team that for some reason they were pegged to be because they spent a lot of money, but they will win more than they lose and make the playoffs. Will they win the Stanley Cup? I sure hope so, but allow some chemistry to develop on the team first, and we'll talk Stanley Cup when the playoffs roll around.

Miller was a Vezina candidate after that Florida shutout just a couple weeks ago, and now people are calling for him to be replaced. People just need to calm down, its a long season.

Just because something doesn't go the way as planned doesn't mean you replace the head coach or goalie.

OpIv37
11-04-2011, 07:17 AM
The team started much worse last year and all these same things were said... why must it be said again this year?

The team will be fine and make the playoffs. They may not be the super team that for some reason they were pegged to be because they spent a lot of money, but they will win more than they lose and make the playoffs. Will they win the Stanley Cup? I sure hope so, but allow some chemistry to develop on the team first, and we'll talk Stanley Cup when the playoffs roll around.

Miller was a Vezina candidate after that Florida shutout just a couple weeks ago, and now people are calling for him to be replaced. People just need to calm down, its a long season.

Just because something doesn't go the way as planned doesn't mean you replace the head coach or goalie.

What about when things don't go as planned year after year after year after year after year? What about when the same problems- ex, PP- remain problems year after year after year after year? What about when these things happen year after year after year with different players, different ownership and different management, and the only consistent factor is the head coach?

PTI
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Buffalo either runs a guy a out too quick, or sticks with a guy way too long. You can't just keep doing the same thing every year, taking the same girl to the dance, and never getting any, and asking the same girl over and over again. I believe Marv was here too long too, just my opinion, I don't see how you lose 2 Super Bowls then continue with the same coach, lose 3 and stay with same, then lose 4 and stay with the same. Sabres have had Ruff for way too long, I am fine if another would sweep RUff up immediately. Sabres need to see if another chick they take to dance will put out anymore than the last same chick has for years.

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
relax...don't you know that the Sabres real season starts after the Bills are done playing :laughing: . It always seems like the Sabres wait until the Bills are done then they turn it on.

SkateZilla
11-04-2011, 12:42 PM
in retrospect,

when you make so many changes to the team, the team needs time to "mold" and get used to played with each other.

I bet its hard for Myers to play a shift without stopping to stare with mancrushism at regehr

OpIv37
11-04-2011, 06:50 PM
in retrospect,

when you make so many changes to the team, the team needs time to "mold" and get used to played with each other.

I bet its hard for Myers to play a shift without stopping to stare with mancrushism at regehr

If that's the case, then how did they win 5 of the first 7?

Electrici
11-05-2011, 12:53 AM
What about when things don't go as planned year after year after year after year after year? What about when the same problems- ex, PP- remain problems year after year after year after year? What about when these things happen year after year after year with different players, different ownership and different management, and the only consistent factor is the head coach?

Who do you replace him with then? It makes no sense replacing Ruff unless you can get someone with experience and preferably a Stanley Cup win.

I guess my point is, there is no sense in talking about it year after year.. or say just this year, cause it aint gonna happen. The season isn't even a month old... we should be discussing why Enroth should be starting over Miller. :rolleyes: But that's probably a couple threads down :)

Anyhow, I would put my money on Ruff leaves when he decides to retire.

Cleve
11-05-2011, 11:40 AM
How about we have some patience with the Sabres and Terry Pegula's ownership before we throw in the towel?

The Bruins won the Stanley Cup in June, and are struggling worse than we are. 4-7 vs our 7-5. I'd guess the seasoned fans in Boston aren't screaming to fire Tim Thomas and their head coach.

Let's hang in there, and GO SABRES!

SkateZilla
11-05-2011, 03:10 PM
The best team in the reg. season doesnt always get to the finals, let alone win the cup.

OpIv37
11-05-2011, 03:35 PM
How about we have some patience with the Sabres and Terry Pegula's ownership before we throw in the towel?

The Bruins won the Stanley Cup in June, and are struggling worse than we are. 4-7 vs our 7-5. I'd guess the seasoned fans in Boston aren't screaming to fire Tim Thomas and their head coach.

Let's hang in there, and GO SABRES!
It's stupid to compare Boston's struggles over 11 games with ours over 11 years.

Some of you don't see the larger picture. These 11 games are the symptom of much larger problems.

As far as who to replace him with, that's a difficult question. But we are doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Electrici
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Sabres weren't going to win 82 games in the regular season. There are going to be bumps along the way.... its inevitable. We just got through a rough patch with a W over the Flames, Senators are up next. Take it one game at a time, get Miller going well, get Enroth in periodically and hopefully the team in front of them starts to gel as I believe they will. I can't believe some say, after ONE month, "blow it up", get a new coach, make the team learn a new system and win the Stanley Cup. Now, being a lifelong Sabres fan, I don't know what its like to win the Stanley Cup but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go about it.

Firing a respected, winning, want to win it all for the city, coach in Ruff, is crazy. Clearly, just my opinion.. and yes I agree with Cleve when he says have some patience.

JD
11-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Brilliant observation there chief :laughing:

Can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. VERY few teams in the league wouldn't be interested if Ruff was cut loose. Besides, who are you gonna get who's really gonna do so much better with that mediocre roster?
:rofl:

OpIv37
11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Sabres weren't going to win 82 games in the regular season. There are going to be bumps along the way.... its inevitable. We just got through a rough patch with a W over the Flames, Senators are up next. Take it one game at a time, get Miller going well, get Enroth in periodically and hopefully the team in front of them starts to gel as I believe they will. I can't believe some say, after ONE month, "blow it up", get a new coach, make the team learn a new system and win the Stanley Cup. Now, being a lifelong Sabres fan, I don't know what its like to win the Stanley Cup but I'm pretty sure that's not the way to go about it.

Firing a respected, winning, want to win it all for the city, coach in Ruff, is crazy. Clearly, just my opinion.. and yes I agree with Cleve when he says have some patience.

I like Ruff and he's definitely been an important part of the franchise, but at what point do we have to admit that Ruff is not capable of coaching this team to a Cup?

Electrici
11-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I like Ruff and he's definitely been an important part of the franchise, but at what point do we have to admit that Ruff is not capable of coaching this team to a Cup?

Good question and one I don't have an answer for.

Who is not to say that he won't be the coach that wins us the cup this year, next year, etc? Not saying we're going to win, but it could happen.