PDA

View Full Version : Zone Exclusive: Significant Figures - Jets

northernbillfan
11-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Here is this week's "Figures" article from psubills62:

[i]Every game is important in the NFL, at least that’s what they tell me. However, there does not seem to be any question that the upcoming game against the Jets has an increased air of urgency about it for the Bills. Fans know it and I can guarantee the coaches and players realize it.

Last year, the Jets absolutely embarrassed the Bills, thanks to a potent running game. Rex Ryan’s squad put up 549 rushing yards in two games on 99 carries – that equates to 5.55 yards per carry. Not only did the green machine put up yards, they did it with their backups and backups’ backups, in Week 17, including current Bill Brad Smith. I’m pretty sure I saw even Rex Ryan carry the ball for 10 yards at one point.

Buffalo showcased an improved run defense just last week against the Redskins. At home the Bills are poised to make a statement against a team that has not run the ball well at all this year, but did seem to improve just before their bye week. No matter how bad they appear, the Jets always seem to run the ball well against Buffalo and stopping them would be a huge step in the right direction.

People who have read my previous columns know that I like to talk about the run. I do tend to address numbers against the run the most. First of all, they are generally more consistent than passing numbers. Second, I still believe that the run game is where teams win and lose, outside of rare exceptions (cough, Peyton Manning). Third, run defense is something the Bills have obviously tried to address in the last couple of years, so it behooves any number-cruncher to investigate how they are doing overall.[/b]

Full article (http://www.billszone.com/?p=501)

psubills62
11-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Maybe I need to make some goading statements to spark some discussion about this stuff.

Would it help if I made a note saying that I've predicted the last two games correctly? I was only one point off of each of the Giants/Bills scores, and only a few points off of Buffalo's score in the Washington game.

northernbillfan
11-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I think everyone has Maybin brain this week.