PDA

View Full Version : The Jets Defense has the right approach

ghz in pittsburgh
11-03-2011, 12:29 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/11/03/jets-to-focus-on-fred/

Say whatever you want, the magic on Bills offense is not Chan, not Fitz, but Jackson.

Defensive coordinators may have already known that, but this is the first time I see opposing players say it so in clear-cut manner. Most people at the beginning of the season, would say it is Chan's spread system, with a smart quick decision QB, and a bunch of slick receivers causing mis-matches. While people are busy matching the cover guys on who get who in our various sets and routes, boom comes Jackson who beat them to the punch, just enough.

Of course recognizing is not the same as being able to do something. But I do expect the Jets defenders will look to see what Jackson is doing on each play first. I look at it this way: the Jets will rely on Revis needing no safety help; they can use that safty spying on Jackson, making it a double coverage on him - run or pass plays. So that leaves Chandler, Nelson and Spiller having to step up big time. And maybe it's why we have allowed Donald Jones to practice for a 2nd straight day even though he admitted yesterday that he still feels "something in there." We may need him this game.

I still think this will be a much more difficult game than a lot of people expect, particularly after the Redskins game. I believe our run defense will match up much better against the Jets than they had in the past. The Jets do have serious weapons at receiver positions. How Mr. Sanchez plays (or our pass rush) could be the deciding factor.

Skooby
11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
If they Focus on Fred, Stevie will be open. If they Focus on Stevie, then Chandler has room. Donald Jones will be out there as well, so they're going to be in for a suprise.

better days
11-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Say whatever you want, the magic on Bills offense is not Chan, not Fitz, but Jackson.

Defensive coordinators may have already known that, but this is the first time I see opposing players say it so in clear-cut manner. Most people at the beginning of the season, would say it is Chan's spread system, with a smart quick decision QB, and a bunch of slick receivers causing mis-matches. While people are busy matching the cover guys on who get who in our various sets and routes, boom comes Jackson who beat them to the punch, just enough.

Of course recognizing is not the same as being able to do something. But I do expect the Jets defenders will look to see what Jackson is doing on each play first. I look at it this way: the Jets will rely on Revis needing no safety help; they can use that safty spying on Jackson, making it a double coverage on him - run or pass plays. So that leaves Chandler, Nelson and Spiller having to step up big time. And maybe it's why we have allowed Donald Jones to practice for a 2nd straight day even though he admitted yesterday that he still feels "something in there." We may need him this game.

I still think this will be a much more difficult game than a lot of people expect, particularly after the Redskins game. I believe our run defense will match up much better against the Jets than they had in the past. The Jets do have serious weapons at receiver positions. How Mr. Sanchez plays (or our pass rush) could be the deciding factor.

I have not read any posts that say the Bills will have a walk in the park in this game with the Jets.

The 12th man will have a say in the outcome of this game.

TigerJ
11-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Beat you to it, ghz. Mitch, as I said when I posted my link to this article, the Jets will probably stick Revis on Steve Johnson one on one. Hopefully, Stevie can hold his own in that matchup, but Fitz is going to have to be able to hit Nelson, Chandler, Jones, and others to openn things up. The Bills can't afford for Fitz to have one of his occasional slow starts Sunday.

PTI
11-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Every team has focused on Fred, he has been really good and broke to the second level on a lot of plays this year is the thing, once past that level there is no one there. How is this different?

Fitz needs to complete long passes with single coverage, we haved not really done that since the New England game in game 3.

ddaryl
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
it's up to Fitz to hit a few down-field and put them back on their heels early

stuckincincy
11-03-2011, 01:06 PM

After reviewing the WAS@BUF films, I don't think NYJ will be so dumb as to run so many 7-step drops - although you never know with Sanchez. For sure they will spy on Fred. Fred picks and hits a hole smart and hard, though. Reminds me a bit of Corey Dillon there.

I'm wondering if NYJ will try to jump the short - mid routes. Feast or famine...

EricStratton
11-03-2011, 01:54 PM
The big talk here is the Jets are vulnerable to the middle routes, the safetys and linebackers have been poor in coverage.

The routes to the TE's, the slot with Nelson and the backs out of the backfield should have some success.

BillsOverDolphins
11-03-2011, 02:45 PM
^This. They give up a ton of yards in the middle of the field, particularly to TE's. Chandler needs to be more than just a redzone target for us to have success in this game.

As far as the running game, outside runs is where we need to go b/c the Jets have looked atrocious on the edges this season.

I also agree with taking a couple shots deep, but hopefully they don't try to outsmart themselves. Stick with what's working and don't try to force anything.

BillsOverDolphins
11-03-2011, 03:02 PM
If they Focus on Fred, Stevie will be open. If they Focus on Stevie, then Chandler has room. Donald Jones will be out there as well, so they're going to be in for a suprise.

I disagree with this part, tbh. Revis is invaluable b/c he can lockdown any receiver w/o any help, thus freeing up the safeties to assist in the run/cover underneath routes. Few defenses have such a luxury.

I do agree that Chandler and nelson will have their chances, but I wouldn't expect more than 30-40 yards out of Stevie all game.

zone
11-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Just because the Jets want to stop Fred does not mean they will, I am sure they wanted to stop the previous 7 running backs they have faced but the facts are they are ranked 25th in run defense and giving up 127 yards a game on the ground.

mikemac2001
11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Create turnovers and don't turnover the ball and we will win