PDA

View Full Version : Are they “honoring” Scott Norwood at halftime this sunday?

bnice
11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
This is a joke, right? Some clown wrote it in the post and my friend texted me the same thing. Can’t be true, right?

BLeonard
11-03-2011, 03:35 PM
This is a joke, right? Some clown wrote it in the post and my friend texted me the same thing. Can’t be true, right?

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-to-wear-white-jerseys-on-Sunday/97246a0c-140b-43be-a0a3-5452b6fb06f0

The Bills vs. Colts game in 1986, won by the Bills 24-13, was Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly’s first AFC East victory, and in the game he threw two touchdown passes to wide receiver Andre Reed. Kicker Scott Norwood booted a field goal and three extra points in the game, and will be in attendance on Sunday to receive the Ralph C. Wilson Distinguished Service Award during the first break of the first quarter.

-Bill

BillyT92679
11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Norwood was responsible for so many wins from 1987 through 91. He was a great kicker.

Maybin's Revenge
11-03-2011, 05:23 PM
This goes to show what a loser franchise the Bills have become. Honoring a loser.

cocamide
11-03-2011, 05:29 PM
This goes to show what a loser franchise the Bills have become. Honoring a loser.

Nice little troll.

Maybin's Revenge
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Nice little troll.

Am I wrong? What kind of franchise honors a guy who blew the super bowl for them?

I mean, you don't see the Jets honoring Keith Byars or Blair Thomas.

mikemac2001
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Am I wrong? What kind of franchise honors a guy who blew the super bowl for them?

Jets have sucked for so long they have no one to honor.....i was at the dolphins jets MNF game and all the dudes other then al toon were old as ****

Joe Fo Sho
11-03-2011, 05:44 PM

No, all you see is them drooling over an idiot head coach and a herpes havin quarterback.

BLeonard
11-03-2011, 06:04 PM

So, should Marv Levy, Jim Kelly Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith not be in the Hall of Fame? Because those four "blew" four Super Bowls... Norwood was only on the team for two of them.

I was 12 when Super Bowl XXV happened... For years, I was pretty mad at Norwood as well... Then, about 5 years later, I actually got a tape of the game and watched it again, in it's entirety... I'd suggest you do the same.

If you watch the game again, you'll notice that our defense couldn't get off the field, especially at the start of the second half, when the Giants had a 14 play, 75 yard drive that lasted just under 9 1/2 minutes. During that drive, you'll also notice that the Giants had four successful third down conversions, one of those being on a 3rd and 13... If the Bills defense makes one play during that drive alone, the Bills probably win the game.

Hell, if that's too much for you, just find the Bills "Missing Rings" show on NFLN... I'm sure it will air around the Super Bowl.

-Bill

Maybin's Revenge
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
So, should Marv Levy, Jim Kelly Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith not be in the Hall of Fame? Because those four "blew" four Super Bowls...

Don't compare HOF players like Kelly, Thomas, and Bruce Smith to any kicker, let alone a bum like Norwood.

The guy played seven years for the Bills and had ONE good year, 1988, when he went 32-37 in FGs. But in the other six seasons, he was a 68-percent kicker! Sixty-eight percent! For goodness' sake, he made two field goals over 50 yards in his entire career!

I was 12 when Super Bowl XXV happened... For years, I was pretty mad at Norwood as well... Then, about 5 years later, I actually got a tape of the game and watched it again, in it's entirety... I'd suggest you do the same.

I watched the whole thing. The guy missed a makeable field goal and let the giants win the super bowl. Is he the antichrist? No, he just screwed up the biggest play in the history of your franchise and really wasn't that great otherwise. You don't honor guys like that.

YardRat
11-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Frank Reich blew that game...He didn't get the laces forward on the hold.

BLeonard
11-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Don't compare HOF players like Kelly, Thomas, and Bruce Smith to any kicker, let alone a bum like Norwood.

Not even Vinatieri? Having a username with "Maybin" in it, I guess you'd be an expert on bums...

The guy played seven years for the Bills and had ONE good year, 1988, when he went 32-37 in FGs. But in the other six seasons, he was a 68-percent kicker! Sixty-eight percent! For goodness' sake, he made two field goals over 50 yards in his entire career!.

He also had 33 field goals that put the Bills ahead and 3 kicks in overtime. Also, as you said, he had 2 FG's over 50 yards in his career (which both came in 1991, AFTER Super Bowl XXV, by the way). So, if he had never hit FG's from that sort of distance before, why would you expect him to do it in the last seonds of the Super Bowl?

I watched the whole thing. The guy missed a makeable field goal and let the giants win the super bowl. Is he the antichrist? No, he just screwed up the biggest play in the history of your franchise and really wasn't that great otherwise. You don't honor guys like that.

Then, I assume you saw the graphic when he was warming up that stated he was something like 1/5 on attempts within the 47 yard range on grass in his career... Again, if he had never done it consistently before in that situation, why would you expect him to do it now?

I'm not saying that he was the best kicker of all time (or hell, even in Bills history) but they're not exactly retiring his jersey... He's just getting a service award. If I had to guess, it'll probably happen during a commercial.

But, last I checked, there were 53 players on that team that day... I don't see how you can put all of the blame on him.

-Bill

Cntrygal
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Wow....

Just wow....

:cynic:

elltrain22
11-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry, no malice or anything, but, **** Norwood!!!

BUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cntrygal
11-03-2011, 07:08 PM
"I didn't know what to say to him," says Levy. "I was searching for words to buck him up, but I knew how he felt. We engineered that drive to get him in field goal range. It was a 47-yard kick off natural grass. Fewer than 50% of those are made. He had been such a great kicker for us over the years, and he won a few games for us with his leg, but you don't think about things like that at a time like that."

As Levy is trying to console his kicker, linebacker Darryl Talley and cornerback Nate Odomes approach Norwood and explain that if they had made a crucial tackle in the third quarter on a third-and-13 pass play, then the Bills would have never been in the position where they needed to make that kick. Then Reed comes over and says that if he had hung on to a few key passes in the second quarter, then the Bills could have put the Giants away. Teammate after teammate visits with Norwood and reinforces the message that this was a team loss. Fellow special teams player Tasker, who watches all this from his locker next to Norwood, recalls, "None of the players on that team blamed him. They knew you could take back any one play and the game might have been different."

The article was written in 2004... but still applies. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1032492/3/index.htm)

DrGraves
11-03-2011, 07:26 PM
maybe this will reverse the curse....

Luisito23
11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Maybin's revenge...:rofl:

DynaPaul
11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I heard a crazy Buffalo Bills fan will try to shoot Norwood at halftime but...

...wait for it...

...the bullet will go wide right.

Maybin's Revenge
11-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm not trying to bust your chops. I'm being honest and objective.

Go look at his numbers. Outside of 1988, he was a sub-70 percent kicker for his career. And in addition to being only marginally accurate, he had a tiny leg, hitting only TWO 50-yard kicks in his career. Plus, it's not as if he's some longtime Bill who put in 12-15 years with the club and is some sort of quasi-mascot like Jason Hanson with the Lions. The guy was there for seven years. Big deal.

AND, of course, he missed the biggest kick in your franchise's history.

Is THAT the type of guy you should be honoring?

SquishDaFish
11-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Idiot Troll

Maybin's Revenge
11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Idiot Troll

Do you have any substantive argument, or is it all just ad hominem nonsense?

Joe Fo Sho
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not trying to bust your chops. I'm being honest and objective.

Go look at his numbers. Outside of 1988, he was a sub-70 percent kicker for his career. And in addition to being only marginally accurate, he had a tiny leg, hitting only TWO 50-yard kicks in his career. Plus, it's not as if he's some longtime Bill who put in 12-15 years with the club and is some sort of quasi-mascot like Jason Hanson with the Lions. The guy was there for seven years. Big deal.

AND, of course, he missed the biggest kick in your franchise's history.

Is THAT the type of guy you should be honoring?

Outside of 1988??? You mean when he went 32 of 37? His best year?

Way to take away more than 1/10 of his kicks and throw out stats about how bad he is. That is clearly the sound logic of a Jets fan.

You are a troll, utterly and completely in its truest definition.

Dr. Lecter
11-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Did you see the Mark Ingram catch and run?

That still pisses me off more than a field goal.

imbondz
11-03-2011, 09:46 PM
"I didn't know what to say to him," says Levy. "I was searching for words to buck him up, but I knew how he felt. We engineered that drive to get him in field goal range. It was a 47-yard kick off natural grass. Fewer than 50% of those are made. He had been such a great kicker for us over the years, and he won a few games for us with his leg, but you don't think about things like that at a time like that."

As Levy is trying to console his kicker, linebacker Darryl Talley and cornerback Nate Odomes approach Norwood and explain that if they had made a crucial tackle in the third quarter on a third-and-13 pass play, then the Bills would have never been in the position where they needed to make that kick. Then Reed comes over and says that if he had hung on to a few key passes in the second quarter, then the Bills could have put the Giants away. Teammate after teammate visits with Norwood and reinforces the message that this was a team loss. Fellow special teams player Tasker, who watches all this from his locker next to Norwood, recalls, "None of the players on that team blamed him. They knew you could take back any one play and the game might have been different."

The article was written in 2004... but still applies. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1032492/3/index.htm)

ugh. i've never read or heard anything about what happened in the locker room after that game. great article. heartbreaking still.

Pinkerton Security
11-03-2011, 11:37 PM

its a sign of solidarity and the fact that we're moving past the mistake he made. you probably weren't even a jets fan until they started doing well so you wouldnt understand.

Jan Reimers
11-04-2011, 12:03 AM
You apparently understand very little about the game of football.

Oh, wait. You're a Jets' fan. Sorry.

Beebe's Kid
11-04-2011, 01:24 AM
The humanity of Norwood's situation is obviously too nuanced for a New Jersey Jets fan to take.

Dahhhh...he missed da ****ing kick. Dat makes him a losah, and dey shud jus pud'im in da Meadow Lands. What da ****? Dahhh....

It's bad enough to have this discussion with Bills fans that still can't get it after all these years, let alone a Jets fan.

The part that makes it easier for many of us, and I mean outside of mental capacity, is that as hard as those loses were, those years were great. A Jets fan who is too young to have watched Joe Willy couldn't possibly relate.

The reason they have no players to honor is because they were have not been able to enjoy any sustained success. The past few years is as close as they've ever come, Joe Willy included, and it's a far cry from Buffalo in the early 90s.

They also share a stadium with a team that has won a couple Super Bowls, so its really not their house to throw a party at.

You have to be in the big game to miss the kick...that easy. I hear people say they'd rather not go than to lose 4 in a row...I say they are full of ****.

Sunday should be fun beating the sixteen chins of that foot sniffing fat **** of a coach and the rest of the New Jersey Jets. I never really had anything against the Jets, because they were never a threat...but in the last few years, they've played better, and all of the sudden they have fans.

YardRat
11-04-2011, 05:22 AM
I used to love watching Joe Namath struggle with the wind in Buffalo.

Also, Maybin will never, ever have the impact on his new team that John Riggins had with his.

stuckincincy
11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Anybody seen Booth Lusteg lately?

RedEyE
11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
There are opposing team fans that always find this site before each and every game.

Some come peacefully looking for a good discussion between competitors.

Some come in here and litter the Spam Zone with nonsensical and outlandish attacks on the team and BZ memebers.

Then there is this guy. A wolf in sheep's clothing. Pretending to have the best of intentions but instigates and incites a riot of insults using subtle attacks and viral undertones.

It's like carrying on a conversation with a snobby Englishman. At first exchange things seem innocent enough, but once you delve in and dissect, what he's truly doing is insulting you with a verbal slap in the face.

justasportsfan
11-04-2011, 11:15 AM
we will win by a FG this sunday

SabreEleven
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I blame Levy for SB 25 and SB 28 losses for getting out-coached.

Bill Cody
11-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Norwood is treated so unfairly by both Bills fans and opposing fans alike. Here's why.

1) You argue he wasn't a good kicker because, if you pull out his best year (something that is patently unfair in the 1st place) Norwood made only 68% of his kicks. By today's standards that's not very good. But kickers have improved a lot over the years. Don't believe it? There is only one player in the NFL HOF as a place kicker only, Jan Stenerud. His lifetime FG %? 68%.

2) The Bills were asking Scott to do something he was quite unlikely to do in any game, never mind the last play of the SB. 48 yards on grass is a tough kick but Norwood simply didn't have the leg for it. How does a guy choke if he simply can't do something? At the time I was hoping we'd take the chance and run one more play, get an extra 5 yards. If that kick was from 43 yards I believe Norwood makes it. If he didn't then that would have been choking because that was within his range.