PDA

View Full Version : Point Spread = Good news

Turf
11-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Just looking at the point spread Bills favored by 2. Who isn't going to take the jets with points. Most likely 70-80% of the money will be on the Jets, and you know what that means. Watch for those phantom holding and pass interference calls against the Jets. I can almost guarantee this one.

Dr. Lecter
11-04-2011, 08:19 PM
It started at 1.5, so it has not moved too much.

If anything it is low - home field is worth 3 points. So this is saying that on neutral site the Jets are a favorite. Most picks I have seen take the Bills. I would think the money is kind equal or else it would have moved more.

YardRat
11-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I dare you to bet the house.

BillsOverDolphins
11-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Rooting for the bills, betting on the jets.

Maybin's Revenge
11-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Just looking at the point spread Bills favored by 2. Who isn't going to take the jets with points. Most likely 70-80% of the money will be on the Jets, and you know what that means.

Yeah, it means you don't know what you're talking about. The house will NEVER allow 80 or even 70 percent of the money to be bet on one team. The house wants the amount of money bet on each team to be roughly equal, thereby safeguarding the house against a loss.

Let's take a look at your supposition that 70 percent of the money could be on the Jets. Suppose that you're a bookmaker looking for action on the Jets-Bills game. Now suppose that you take bets from 10 people, each of whom bets $1 against 1:1 odds. And suppose further that seven of those 10 people bet on the Jets while only three bet on the Bills. What happens if the Jets win? Well, you'd have to pay the Jets bettors a total of $7 while collecting only $3 from the disappointed Bills bettors. You know what that means? A $4 loss for your book.

Not smart, huh? Yeah, Vegas doesn't think so either. That's where the spread comes from. The spread is used to handicap the games and thus manipulate the amount of money placed on a particular team. If they didn't use the spread, who would bet on Miami in a game at Green Bay? No one. So when Vegas lists the line on Monday, it takes note of how much action comes in. If too many bets come in for one team, Vegas adjusts the spread to make betting for the other team more attractive. And Vegas will continue to adjust the spread throughout the week until the handle is evenly distributed among both teams.

malvado78
11-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, it means you don't know what you're talking about. The house will NEVER allow 80 or even 70 percent of the money to be bet on one team. The house wants the amount of money bet on each team to be roughly equal, thereby safeguarding the house against a loss.

Let's take a look at your supposition that 70 percent of the money could be on the Jets. Suppose that you're a bookmaker looking for action on the Jets-Bills game. Now suppose that you take bets from 10 people, each of whom bets one dollar against 1:1 odds. And suppose further that seven of those 10 people bet on the Jets while only three bet on the Bills. What happens if the Jets win? Well, you'd have to pay the Jets bettors a total of $7 while collecting only $3 from the disappointed Bills bettors. You know what that means? A $4 loss for your book.

Not smart, huh? Yeah, Vegas doesn't think so either. That's where the spread comes from. The spread is used to handicap the games and thus manipulate the amount of money placed on a particular team. If they didn't use the spread, who would bet on Miami in a game at Green Bay? No one. So when Vegas lists the line on Monday, it takes note of how much action comes in. If too many bets come in for one team, Vegas adjusts the spread to make betting for the other team more attractive. And Vegas will continue to adjust the spread throughout the week until the handle is evenly distributed among both teams.

This is your only good post on the site. Keep it going.

Maybin's Revenge
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM

No, it's just the only one you agree with.

jamze132
11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I like his posts.

imbondz
11-05-2011, 01:07 AM

no it's the only one that has facts in it

mikemac2001
11-05-2011, 01:28 AM

its the only one ur not trolling in

we don;t mind other fan's just dont troll

Maybin's Revenge
11-05-2011, 03:13 AM
no it's the only one that has facts in it
It's not a fact that Maybin has three sacks and three forced fumbles in four games?

Did I make that up?

cocamide
11-05-2011, 04:07 AM
It's not a fact that Maybin has three sacks and three forced fumbles in four games?

Did I make that up?

Nope. Maybin is clearly one of the greatest players that has ever lived. Let's extrapolate these stats, since clearly these past four games, and not his previous two seasons, are indicitative of the type of player he is. Let's say he gets .75 sacks a game for the remainder of his career. He'll play for another 15 years at least because of what a freak of nature he is. With approximately 12 sacks in each of his next 15 seasons, and assuming he gets 12 this year, he'll wind up with about 192 sacks. He'll definitely have at least one season with 20 sacks, because he's just that good. This will give him 200 sacks. He'll most likely get 13 in one of those other seasons, thus giving him 201 sacks and just enough to beat the great Bruce Smith.

Bills fans, get your cameras ready for Sunday; you're about to witness the man that's going to take down Bruce's record. Oh, and to top it off, Maybin will have about 200 forced fumbles at the end of his career.

thenry20
11-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Nope. Maybin is clearly one of the greatest players that has ever lived. Let's extrapolate these stats, since clearly these past four games, and not his previous two seasons, are indicitative of the type of player he is. Let's say he gets .75 sacks a game for the remainder of his career. He'll play for another 15 years at least because of what a freak of nature he is. With approximately 12 sacks in each of his next 15 seasons, and assuming he gets 12 this year, he'll wind up with about 192 sacks. He'll definitely have at least one season with 20 sacks, because he's just that good. This will give him 200 sacks. He'll most likely get 13 in one of those other seasons, thus giving him 201 sacks and just enough to beat the great Bruce Smith.

Bills fans, get your cameras ready for Sunday; you're about to witness the man that's going to take down Bruce's record. Oh, and to top it off, Maybin will have about 200 forced fumbles at the end of his career.

Now that's comedy :laughing:

better days
11-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Let's take a look at your supposition that 70 percent of the money could be on the Jets. Suppose that you're a bookmaker looking for action on the Jets-Bills game. Now suppose that you take bets from 10 people, each of whom bets $1 against 1:1 odds. And suppose further that seven of those 10 people bet on the Jets while only three bet on the Bills. What happens if the Jets win? Well, you'd have to pay the Jets bettors a total of $7 while collecting only $3 from the disappointed Bills bettors. You know what that means? A $4 loss for your book.

Good post. You know betting better than you do geography. Were you running book rather than paying attention in 3rd grade geography?

malvado78
11-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I like his posts.
I agree. Trolls are fun. And this one seems more intelligent than most but also more trolling also.

malvado78
11-05-2011, 09:55 AM

I gues your right but all you did was explain how Vegas odds work. That's is akin to saying I agree with an explanation of Newton's 3 law. Not so much that I agree more that it is just true...

Turf
11-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Clarification and admitting I am wrong. Most of the money to my amazement this week is on the Bills.
And for the record, over %70 of the money was on the Bills against Cincy. So suddenly I am not feeling very good about this game. I can't believe we are favored to cover.

Mike
11-05-2011, 11:15 AM

To add to this, Vegas makes money on the 'juice'. For every dollar bet, instead of giving your two dollars for winning, they would give you two dollars but make you pay an 8 cents of juice. Now multiply 8 cents times 10 people as long as Vegas can keep even number of betters on both sides the profit is guaranteed.

Interesting Fact: Even Vegas Does not Play the Odds!!!

A few years back during the Super Bowl bets in the coin toss were very one sided to the point where Vegas moved the odds on the coin toss to 60/40 to get more betters to bet on the other side of the trade. A true gambler would have kept it 50/50 and bet the odds. Anyways, most people ended up being wrong as it need up being heads where more than 60% of the population was betting tails.