PDA

View Full Version : Funding cuts concern Lubick

BillsFever
06-29-2003, 03:26 PM
FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- Colorado State football coach Sonny Lubick says he may ask to be considered for the vacant post of athletic director.

He said he is concerned about potential funding cuts and turnover in the post of athletic director. Jeff Hathaway, who held the job for two years, was named athletic director at Connecticut earlier this month.

Lubick said Friday he would want to remain coach of the Rams football team if selected athletic director, and will decide quickly whether to be a candidate for athletic director.

"I think we are at a critical time -- a time when we can either go forward or backward," Lubick said. "I don't know if I would get serious consideration as a candidate, but I've got to fight for this thing. If I can do that best as athletic director, that's what I'll try to do." Lubick, 66, is largely credited with the rebirth of CSU's athletic department since he arrived in 1993. The football team has enjoyed unprecedented success, winning six conference championships and playing in seven bowl games under his guidance.

The success in football has carried over to other programs. The women's basketball and volleyball teams are regular postseason qualifiers, and the men's basketball, men's golf and softball teams are coming off NCAA appearances.

At the same time, booster donations and the annual athletic budget have climbed to record levels since Lubick arrived.

"I know that everyone in the athletic department has an agenda, and I understand that," he said. "But why shouldn't the football coach have a shot at being athletic director? Most of the money that the department makes is off football anyway."
http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0628/1574037.html