PDA

View Full Version : Pass interference

northernbillfan
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Okay, I know we shouldn't blame the refs but this was bad today.

I don't mind the call against the Bills late in the third that set up the TD, but the one they missed against the Jets earlier in the game is frustrating.

Where is the consistency?

Cntrygal
11-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Officiating is bad EVERY week and getting worse.

Mr. Miyagi
11-06-2011, 02:30 PM
**** THIS REFS

Buddo
11-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Officiating is bad EVERY week and getting worse.

Pretty much this.

Bills have been bad today, but the Jest aren't as good as they think they are.

Officiating hasn't helped, but the Bills performance today isn't going to win a game in a hurry.

There's next to no consistency in the calls made. PI in particular. Whether it's offensive or defensive.

Play review is also poor, with one crew seemingly prepared to overturn things without conclusive evidence, while another needs everything crystal clear, and obvious to people who don't understand the game.

don137
11-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow, the Jets guy grabbed Nelson's arm before got there yet no call...Bills played like crap but these officials clearly gave Jets a lot of help.

psubills62
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm not going to talk about blame here, but I would be shocked if anyone said the officiating wasn't terrible. Some of the worst I've seen all year.

Honestly, I think the Jets get the benefit of the doubt and they get a lot more leeway since refs know they're a physical team, especially at DB. Because if the refs were consistent on both sides with regards to PI, they would have called PI on the Jets on every single pass play.

To me this showed how much we need a stud WR. Johnson did well, but he also dropped a couple decent passes. We need someone who is an athletic beast and can separate from anyone.

methos4ever
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
We need a big guy like a Meachem - taller, bigger body with mucho speed. Draft wise, to me that's a Dwight Jones or a healthy Marcus Easley.

Maybin's Revenge
11-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Officiating in the NFL stinks. But you didn't lose this game because of officiating.

northernbillfan
11-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Officiating in the NFL stinks. But you didn't lose this game because of officiating.I was not blaming the ref for the loss at all. I was *****ing about the inconsistent calls on two specific pass plays.

One went for the Jests and the other "non" call also favoured the Jests.

psubills62
11-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Officiating in the NFL stinks. But you didn't lose this game because of officiating.
Who exactly said we did?

YardRat
11-06-2011, 04:44 PM
The officiating has been poor, and inconsistent, all season.

One week face-guarding isn't PI, the next it is.
Then there are holding/outright tackling calls being completely overlooked.
Contact in the secondary OK, then it isn't.

Replays are just about worthless, they might as well just ditch the system 'cause it doesn't appear to me that it's working as intended.

That being said, we would have got our asses whupped today with or without the refs, and we're far from being talented enough to overcome the human errors that are going to occur in every game.

northernbillfan
11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Even the Sunday night crew is asking how they couldn't call that play against the Jests.

kishoph
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
The Officiating in the NFL and the NHL has become a complete joke. In the NFL it is idiotic to have these old men part timers making judgement calls in a multi Billion dollar company. The worst part is the inconsistency.

Beebe
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM
The officiating sucked more than ever.:fit: and we couldn't get nothing going.

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I was not blaming the ref for the loss at all. I was *****ing about the inconsistent calls on two specific pass plays.

One went for the Jests and the other "non" call also favoured the Jests.

Two calls. Both killed the Bills. On football night in America Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison both wanted to know what the **** the deal was with this one ref. It was the SAME ref on both occasions. They flat out said he was favoring the Jets. They showed the long ball where Mckelvin was called and there was no pass interferance at all, then they showed Buress manhandling Mckelvin and then a huge push off to make the catch with no call. Harrison then said Refs should start being fined for making wrong calls/non calls like this. The ref was staring right at what should have been interference on Burress and did nothing. What a piece of ****. I wonder how much money he had on the Jesters.

jimmacie
11-06-2011, 11:45 PM
I agree that the officiating is getting worse and will continue to do so until they get FULL-TIME younger officials. It is a disgrace that the NFL, with all the money it makes, cannot afford a group of PERMANENT officials. They are the only major sports league that does not have a permanent, full-time officiating staff. They could receive inservice training during the week and I am sure the quality of officiating would improve greatly. Some of these older officials are a joke. Check the ref's call after the Ravens winning TD against the Steelers today. The guy has to be senile!

Another problem is that there is just too much money being bet on these games. You are naive if you think that there is not an attempt to influence officials through bribes or intimidation by gamblers. I predict that there will eventually be a scandal involving the officials in the NFL to make the NBA scandal of an official "rigging" games look like nothing. It is just too obvious to real football fans that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the NFL officiating. When you are being paid decent money to watch for certain penalties like holding or interference and flagrant fouls can be seen by viewers on TV, but not called by the officials on the field, then something is not "kosher".

I don't want to sound like a whiner as we didn't play well today, but there were still a lot of questionable calls which usually go against us. Let's face it, we were "cheated" out of a win in Cincy by totally inept and corrupt officiating.

The NFL MUST do something drastic soon to correct the glaring deficiencies in many members of its officiating staff

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I agree that the officiating is getting worse and will continue to do so until they get FULL-TIME younger officials. It is a disgrace that the NFL, with all the money it makes, cannot afford a group of PERMANENT officials. They are the only major sports league that does not have a permanent, full-time officiating staff. They could receive inservice training during the week and I am sure the quality of officiating would improve greatly. Some of these older officials are a joke. Check the ref's call after the Ravens winning TD against the Steelers today. The guy has to be senile!

Another problem is that there is just too much money being bet on these games. You are naive if you think that there is not an attempt to influence officials through bribes or intimidation by gamblers. I predict that there will eventually be a scandal involving the officials in the NFL to make the NBA scandal of an official "rigging" games look like nothing. It is just too obvious to real football fans that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the NFL officiating. When you are being paid decent money to watch for certain penalties like holding or interference and flagrant fouls can be seen by viewers on TV, but not called by the officials on the field, then something is not "kosher".

I don't want to sound like a whiner as we didn't play well today, but there were still a lot of questionable calls which usually go against us. Let's face it, we were "cheated" out of a win in Cincy by totally inept and corrupt officiating.

The NFL MUST do something drastic soon to correct the glaring deficiencies in many members of its officiating staff

it's pathetic.

kishoph
11-07-2011, 04:55 AM

I totally agree with you, but in some Defense of the Officials, I can see the occasional missed call, the game and player are very fast and fouls can be out of the sight or obstructed by other players. I do agree that younger better trained Officials would help alleviate some of these problems. Though my biggest problem is the inconstancy, not only from game to game, but sometimes from possession to possession. We have seen at least a couple times in the past 2 weeks where a call that was made against the BILLS was not made against the opposition for almost the exact infraction. The challenge replays could be a very good tool, yet they have turned into a joke, same reason, inconsistency. As far as Officials fixing the games goes, I have no doubt that it has happened and can be happening weekly. I really hope they take a look at the problems over the off season and do something to right it.

Buddo
11-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Basically, the NFL are being total cheapskates. They aren't prepared to pony up the money to pay officials to become 'full time', when the season is only around 21-22 weeks long, and from week 17 onwards, a decreasing amount of officials are required.

Something else that really ticks me off, is the seeming total lack of accountability of the officials, or even any sort of genuinely formal system of reporting poor officiating.

Incompitance and inconsistency are marring the game around the league, and it's up to the league to do something about it before it gets out of hand, and fans start to stop watching games, as they aren't convinced they will be fairly officiated.

If you look at yesterday's game, let's be clear, the Bills, even with the calls they should have got, going their way, were second best on the day, and were unlikely to grab a win if they played until midnight.
However, the poor officiating actually spoiled the enjoyment of a game that could have been a lot closer, for a lot longer, and therefore keeping fans interest and hope alive.
Under those circumstances, fans could rightly be thinking they should get part of their money back, and if such continues to happen, will become less inclined to part with it in the first place.

chernobylwraiths
11-07-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm amazed that a network actually took time to show replays of blown officials calls in a game that was easily won by the Jets. Good for them.

chernobylwraiths
11-07-2011, 05:57 AM
I wonder though, at the end of the game where it seemed the one official was going to hit Florence with an unnecessary roughness call when the guy slid down before going out of bounds, the head official seemed to actually let that one go. It would have been slightly ridiculous, but I have seen that call before when a guy "gave himself up" on the play and he was touched a little too hard.

northernbillfan
11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Last night's game was funny. The ref called PI on the game winning TD, but then said the ball will placed at the spot of the foul on the one yard line. He then apologized and said, penalty declined the result of the play is a TD.