PDA

View Full Version : Since the Bills did no game-planning this week, what did Chan do??

Skooby
11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I'll go with hunting-season opened, so he was busy.

Ingtar33
11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I don't mean to be flippant, but do you even watch football.

No one in their right mind chalks that game up to "poor" game planning.

The bills have done wonders with smoke and mirrors this year. We ran into a team that wins in the trenches. Unfortunately you can't line up and trick a team that will line up and punch you in the face.

Just a bad matchup, which we will probably lose 19 times out of 20.

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2011, 08:11 PM

The bills have done wonders with smoke and mirrors this year. We ran into a team that wins in the trenches. Unfortunately you can't line up and trick a team that will line up and punch you in the face.

It was pretty clear the team wasn't ready to play with Jets. I would call that poor game planning.

Ingtar33
11-06-2011, 08:24 PM
It was pretty clear the team wasn't ready to play with Jets. I would call that poor game planning.

Listen, sometimes you just don't have the horses. It doesn't matter how well prepared or unprepared you are. Football is about matchups, and exploiting bad ones.

We don't have a single strength that would exploit a weakness of the Jets, and not a single strength that was strong enough to take away a strength of the Jets either.

When you gameplan you look for things like that "how do i make them pay for that weak secondary? How do i exploit that poor offensive line? How can we neutralize their bread and butter?"

You can find a solution on paper to all of these questions, but if you don't have the horses, it doesn't matter in the end. Because in the end it's the players on the feild that will decide if your plans will work or not. In this case we couldn't take away their running game, and they took away our short passing game, and sold out against the run

They used their strength to attack our weakness, and took away two of our strengths.

So how do you counter this? You need to get solid protection, and attack them downfield. Well i saw us passing downfield all game... and our WRs dropped the ball, failed to get seperation or Fitz missfired. We countered the Jets scheme perfectly, and the players couldn't win the matchups they were getting because of it. Long story short, the offense adjusted and couldn't win the battles anyway.

On the defensive side of the ball, after the first quarter the bills put McToast one on one with Burress, because he was abusing everyone else in our secondary, and stacked the box, even shaded double coverage on the TE. Problem was, while McToast was physical enough to hang with Burress, he wasn't GOOD enough to shut him down. Our LBers couldn't hang with their TEs, so doubling didn't matter, because it was basically one on one with the SS, and of the pair Scott did a better job of covering them then did Wilson, but it still didnt' matter. Meanwhile the stacked box STILL couldn't stop the run.

I have been really critical of the Bills coaching staff in the past. I had no complaints of what they did today. It was clear they did the best with what they had, and what they had wasn't good enough to win.

Skooby
11-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Good post, let me go deeper. I would of run more 2nd level screens based on the Jets being aggressive. We didn't plan for the Jets being that aggressive & when we did, they backed up. Why didn't we stack the wide-receivers for a split play & force the defense to drop back ? How about a draw play to counter the outside rush??

Not everyone on here understands football, so I watch my grammar & put things in less technical terms. We didn't game plan for all scenarios enough, so Chan must of done something with his time.

P.S. We come out in NY in 3 weeks, you'll see much more 2 back sets & curl routes. Nelson's information also hurt us, we need to make some different signals & signs for the Jets away game.

Listen, sometimes you just don't have the horses. It doesn't matter how well prepared or unprepared you are. Football is about matchups, and exploiting bad ones.

We don't have a single strength that would exploit a weakness of the Jets, and not a single strength that was strong enough to take away a strength of the Jets either.

When you gameplan you look for things like that "how do i make them pay for that weak secondary? How do i exploit that poor offensive line? How can we neutralize their bread and butter?"

You can find a solution on paper to all of these questions, but if you don't have the horses, it doesn't matter in the end. Because in the end it's the players on the feild that will decide if your plans will work or not. In this case we couldn't take away their running game, and they took away our short passing game, and sold out against the run

They used their strength to attack our weakness, and took away two of our strengths.

So how do you counter this? You need to get solid protection, and attack them downfield. Well i saw us passing downfield all game... and our WRs dropped the ball, failed to get seperation or Fitz missfired. We countered the Jets scheme perfectly, and the players couldn't win the matchups they were getting because of it. Long story short, the offense adjusted and couldn't win the battles anyway.

On the defensive side of the ball, after the first quarter the bills put McToast one on one with Burress, because he was abusing everyone else in our secondary, and stacked the box, even shaded double coverage on the TE. Problem was, while McToast was physical enough to hang with Burress, he wasn't GOOD enough to shut him down. Our LBers couldn't hang with their TEs, so doubling didn't matter, because it was basically one on one with the SS, and of the pair Scott did a better job of covering them then did Wilson, but it still didnt' matter. Meanwhile the stacked box STILL couldn't stop the run.

I have been really critical of the Bills coaching staff in the past. I had no complaints of what they did today. It was clear they did the best with what they had, and what they had wasn't good enough to win.

kingJofNYC
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Good posts, agree with all of it.

Ingtar33
11-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Good post, let me go deeper. I would of run more 2nd level screens based on the Jets being aggressive. We didn't plan for the Jets being that aggressive & when we did, they backed up. Why did we stack receiver for a split play & force the defense to drop back ? How about a draw play to counter the outside rush??

Not everyone on here understands football, so I watch my grammar & put things in less technical terms. We didn't game plan for all scenario enough, so Chan must of done something with his time.

P.S. We come out in NY in 3 weeks, you'll see much more 2 back sets & curl routes.

I think part of the reason why they didn't run more screens was because the Jets passrush wasn't pinning it's ears back. Except for one or two times, when they blitzed they did it with the goal of containing the pocket, clogging passing lanes and keeping an eye on Jackson. They weren't giving us many looks that would encourage running a "screen" or a "draw". You can have an effective pass rush without getting sacks. Thats what the Jets did to us. In fact, it was almost identical to how they've passrushed Brady the last 3 games they've played the pats... the difference is, we don't have Welker, and we don't have Brady.

As for Curls, i wouldn't have run more "curl" routs, considering where they were putting their underneath coverage. That would have been asking for more INTS. Curl routs don't work if your WR can't back off the DB, the DBs were overcomitting on the underneath routs. They were watching for the slants, and curls. They were saying to Fitz, that even if the WR fooled them and broke Deep they didn't think he'd hit them, and even if he was on target, they didn't think the WRs were fast enough to get seperation even if they caught the DB biting on a short rout.

They were right. we couldn't exploit them selling out for the short passes.

So that leaves you with an empty bag; I mean if the coaches put the players in the right place to exploit the scheme, and they simply can't do it, then what do you expect the coaches to do?

The only 1 on 1 battle we won all game was Revis vs Johnson, and i wouldn't even say we "won" that battle... mearly drew even with it. Which is an accomplishment in and of itself.

Skooby
11-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Incredibly valid points but we almost always had the wrong personnel on to be able to change the plays to one that I felt would of worked better. Fitz isn't incapable of running a naked bootleg when the Jets were all keyed on FJ, that would of kept them honest.

The Jets ran a near perfect game designed that we could not completely over run them. I applaud the spanking & hope that Chan realizes that he can't just go vanilla to score.

I think part of the reason why they didn't run more screens was because the Jets passrush wasn't pinning it's ears back. Except for one or two times, when they blitzed they did it with the goal of containing the pocket, clogging passing lanes and keeping an eye on Jackson. They weren't giving us many looks that would encourage running a "screen" or a "draw". You can have an effective pass rush without getting sacks. Thats what the Jets did to us. In fact, it was almost identical to how they've passrushed Brady the last 3 games they've played the pats... the difference is, we don't have Welker, and we don't have Brady.

As for Curls, i wouldn't have run more "curl" routs, considering where they were putting their underneath coverage. That would have been asking for more INTS. Curl routs don't work if your WR can't back off the DB, the DBs were overcomitting on the underneath routs. They were watching for the slants, and curls. They were saying to Fitz, that even if the WR fooled them and broke Deep they didn't think he'd hit them, and even if he was on target, they didn't think the WRs were fast enough to get seperation even if they caught the DB biting on a short rout.

They were right. we couldn't exploit them selling out for the short passes.

TigerJ
11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
I'll side with Ingtar in this one, though I don't think it was just in the trenches that the Jets beat us. The Jets showed us what superior corners can do to receivers who don't have great speed or athleticism. Cover them man for man and your receivers aren't going to get any separation.

Fred Jackson had a half way decent day for an average running back, but Buffalo wan't able to create the holes they usually do to get him in space. He kept running into a brick wall.

Pinkerton Security
11-07-2011, 08:21 AM
My biggest gripe is that we knew what they were gonna do...the Jets run 4 plays:

- Slant
- TE corner
- Dive middle
- Off tackle run

Obviously this is a drastic oversimplification but it seemed to me like 80% of their plays were some derivative of these 4 plays. How many g-damn times did Sanchez complete a pass that wasnt of this variety? Pretty much never.

I just think our defensive gameplanning could have been better, as they literally ran the same plays over and over and yet we just didnt stop it, Im not sure if it was us not being good enough to stop it and just being outplayed or if it was the coaching staff not putting our guys in the right positions, but we should have known what they were gonna do, and just didnt stop them.

Figster
11-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Poor execution on our part and the Bills were physically outworked and out coached in my opinion. Its what happens sometimes when when you take two well coached football teams, but one team has an extra whole week to prepare.(rest up)

I don't care much for Rex Ryan , but he's an intelligent HC, and Ryan will come up with a good game plan given that much time.

PTI
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I think he was watching LSU-Alabama.