PDA

View Full Version : You Beat Us Deep

ghz in pittsburgh
11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
As I said all week long, Jets manned our outside receivers, stacked the box, dared us to beat them deep.

Fitz is not up to it. Our receivers are not up to it.

To be honest, I think our defense played about as good as they could against that team. The offense layed a big egg today, exposing our defense on the field far too long.

T-Long
11-06-2011, 08:13 PM
The defense obviously did a helluva job against the Jets offense. Hell, it was 3-0 in the third quarter. You can't expect a defense to hold up playing that much in a game. The Jets defense has been good if not great since Rex got there, so our offense struggling against one of the best defenses in the league is not anything to jump off a cliff with. Last time I checked, our offense is pretty damn good. Jets had our number today. If we win in 3 weeks, this game is soon forgotten. With this 3 game road trip ahead, a 2-1 record coming home is a must.

BertSquirtgum
11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Chan called a terrible game on offense.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Watching Chan and Fitz postgame presser, I got the feeling that the Jets really out planned them, giving them looks and coverages that Fitz never thought of. I guess the bye week really helped them.

Ingtar33
11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Watching Chan and Fitz postgame presser, I got the feeling that the Jets really out planned them, giving them looks and coverages that Fitz never thought of. I guess the bye week really helped them.

I somehow doubt that, the Jets were playing a lot of standard stuff... the one INT was on a zone-blitz, that fitz never saw, they mostly just put Revis on Johnson, manned up against everyone else, and played a LOT of 1 deep, 8 in the box defense. They did a solid job mixing zone and man on occasion, but i thought the jets played them pretty straight up (well, with a focus on clogging the field between the hashmarks and in the flat).

The Bills WRs just weren't getting open.

kingJofNYC
11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
I somehow doubt that, the Jets were playing a lot of standard stuff... the one INT was on a zone-blitz, that fitz never saw, they mostly just put Revis on Johnson, manned up against everyone else, and played a LOT of 1 deep, 8 in the box defense. They did a solid job mixing zone and man on occasion, but i thought the jets played them pretty straight up (well, with a focus on clogging the field between the hashmarks and in the flat).

The Bills WRs just weren't getting open.

Totally agree.

Fitz could've done a better job with a few throws, but our athletes weren't better today. Nelson is good when he works against LB's and 4th string CBs, but Wilson did a good job on him, and he's played better than Cro this year. Jones went nowhere and that's with Cromartie on him.

Mr Bills
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Brandon Lloyd would certainly helped a lot, could of gotten him for a 5th - 6th round pick, too bad everyone here thinks he is a one year wonder and sucks. Hope you are all happy with Donald Jones and Namaan Roosevelt.

kelly2reed4six
11-06-2011, 10:22 PM

I agree that there were some really bad calls.....the worst sticking out in my mind is the 4th down play that should have been a QB keeper. Fitzy only has to snap the ball and hold it forward for a half second to get the first.

However, this is the beauty of division games.....we get to play them again!! You know that Gailey is going to be pissed about this one.....he has a winners mentality unlike any of our past loser coaches. He is going to brain storm ways to beat this defense and in a few weeks we will be better prepared....guaranteed.

This game was just the first few rounds of the fight.......we are going to come out and crack them in the jaw in this next game!

Oaf
11-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Watching Chan and Fitz postgame presser, I got the feeling that the Jets really out planned them, giving them looks and coverages that Fitz never thought of. I guess the bye week really helped them. I came to the same conclusion as this. But the talent level is something to consider as well.

kishoph
11-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Hopefully CHAN knows now how to combat some of those Defenses, because we may be seeing a similar game plan next week from Fat REX's brother ROB, who is the D coordinator for the Cowboys. I'm sure REX will be offering his insight to ROB to try and beat a division rival.

HopefulBillsFan
11-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Hopefully CHAN knows now how to combat some of those Defenses, because we may be seeing a similar game plan next week from Fat REX's brother ROB, who is the D coordinator for the Cowboys. I'm sure REX will be offering his insight to ROB to try and beat a division rival.

ya.. cuz they beat the hell out of New England.

kishoph
11-07-2011, 06:14 AM
ya.. cuz they beat the hell out of New England.

I don't know if this is sarcasm, but I do know that the Cowboys lost by only 4 points to NE, holding them to 100 yds. rushing, picking off BRADY twice and sacking him 3 times. The Cowboys have the leagues 12th ranked Defense and I'm sure REX is going to give his brother advice on stopping the BILLS. This game will not be a walk over and CHAN has to have his team prepared for another tough Defense. Of course FITZ needs to play much better than he did yesterday.

Jan Reimers
11-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Our two key weaknesses were once again exposed: Our inability to get pressure on the opposing QB (except against the Skins' hapless O-line); and our complete lack of any deep passing game.

ddaryl
11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
the difference was simply their CB's were blanketing our WR's Nobody was open all day long.

don137
11-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Our two key weaknesses were once again exposed: Our inability to get pressure on the opposing QB (except against the Skins' hapless O-line); and our complete lack of any deep passing game.
Agree completely. They basically challenged Fitz and company to beat Buffalo deep. They took away the short stuff.
I felt Donald Jones must be either hurt or is a below average receiver because he could not get separation and he cannot make the tough catch with tight coverage. Nelson is average. Johnson did great against Revis.

better days
11-07-2011, 07:36 AM

I expect your right about the Cowboys game plan. The Cowboys DBs are nowhere near as good as the Jets however.

better days
11-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Brandon Lloyd would certainly helped a lot, could of gotten him for a 5th - 6th round pick, too bad everyone here thinks he is a one year wonder and sucks. Hope you are all happy with Donald Jones and Namaan Roosevelt.

Sure Lloyd would have helped. Just like he helped the Rams beat the Cardinals Sunday. Oh wait a minute, the Rams LOST.

5 catches for 80 yds, 0 TD's against the Birds who rank 30 against the pass. Why don't you pick him up for your fantasy team, I'm sure he is available in every league.

Lloyd IS a one year wonder that sucks. 1TD this year

Mr Bills
11-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Sure Lloyd would have helped. Just like he helped the Rams beat the Cardinals Sunday. Oh wait a minute, the Rams LOST.

5 catches for 80 yds, 0 TD's against the Birds who rank 30 against the pass. Why don't you pick him up for your fantasy team, I'm sure he is available in every league.

Actually he is taken in every league I'm in, I'm sure you are doing wonderful in your leagues with Donald Jones, Roosevelt and Lee Evans.

Keep saying that Lloyd sucks if it makes you feel better knowing I was right.

PTI
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM

If anyone thinks Fitz is good, then you must believe Lloyd would have been a huge asset here on the Bills. His QB is AJ Feeley right now.

Cleve
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
More sacks would have been good, but defense for the most part was decent through the first 3 quarters based on the score. The time of possession advantage the Bills surrendered to the Jets was staggering - it was more than a full quarter - 17 minutes extra I think. Any defense would get wore out by that point.

And actually, the time of possession advantage would be about 20 minutes+ if we removed the garbage time touchdown drive where we were padding Fitzpatrick's stats. The Jets defense was clearly in a prevent mode then anyways and were giving up plays they wouldn't have given up earlier when it mattered.

In other words, the time of possession advantage was even worse than it looks on paper, as bad as that was. The Bills offense basically could do nothing until 'garbage time'.

As Jan said, the lack of a deep passing threat hurt us. When we let Lee Evans go, I think it said more about our QB's ability than it did our need for elite receivers.

As a commentator mentioned on TV today, the Bills looked like the 2010 Bills yesterday instead of the 2011 Bills.

madness
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Most deep balls happen when the QB has more than two seconds to throw. Fitz would have been crushed trying to go deep even with more speed at WR. The run game was the biggest fail this week and even Gailey admitted it. It was well documented the way to counter the Jets heavy blitzes was to pound the ball.

Meathead
11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
lets be honest - the bills wrs are soft. they are great role players, great guys to have in the rotation as depth, but they are not take control of the game type of guys. even stevie, who i love, can easily be knocked off the ball by a physical corner

thats exactly what the jets exploited. they started the game by shoving and hitting the wrs every chance they got. then as the game wore on you could just see the wrs shying away from the contact, even when they caught the ball they were looking over their shoulders. that was the difference imo

im calling it right now, wr with the bills first pick next spring

Beebe's Kid
11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
lets be honest - the bills wrs are soft. they are great role players, great guys to have in the rotation as depth, but they are not take control of the game type of guys. even stevie, who i love, can easily be knocked off the ball by a physical corner

thats exactly what the jets exploited. they started the game by shoving and hitting the wrs every chance they got. then as the game wore on you could just see the wrs shying away from the contact, even when they caught the ball they were looking over their shoulders. that was the difference imo

im calling it right now, wr with the bills first pick next spring

This is exactly what I said yesterday.

When you have great receivers, they get open and they make tough catches. A top notch receiver would have made a huge difference, which is why I can't understand why we are not taking a look at CJ as a WR.

Stevie did an admirable job against Revis, who is the best CB in the league. He beat him a couple times. Stevie runs routes better than any WR we have had here is a very long time. I would have kept trying that, when it became evident that was the only guy who could beat his assignment.

Another issue I had was the Jauron like disguising of plays. Twin TE's...we're running. 5 wide....we're throwing. It was not a very good gameplan.

I didn't really even blame Fitz, although I though he could have played better, but it is odd that every super QB has good receivers. Aside from Stevie, we're shot.

Oh, and Lee Evans wouldn't have made one bit of difference yesterday...in case that comes up. He isn't a physical receiver, and that was a physical game.

I hate to say it again, but I would see if we can't find T.O.'s number laying around...he sure as **** wouldn't hurt.

Philagape
11-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I hate to say it again, but I would see if we can't find T.O.'s number laying around...he sure as **** wouldn't hurt.

Someone find the number for the Contra Costa County Correctional Facility ...

Arrest warrant issued for former NFL star Terrell Owens (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57319618-504083/arrest-warrant-issued-for-former-nfl-star-terrell-owens-over-missed-court-date/)

BillsFever21
11-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Agree completely. They basically challenged Fitz and company to beat Buffalo deep. They took away the short stuff.
I felt Donald Jones must be either hurt or is a below average receiver because he could not get separation and he cannot make the tough catch with tight coverage. Nelson is average. Johnson did great against Revis.

Teams are going to do this the rest of the season. Especially teams with even a decent secondary.

Our schemes caught teams offguard early on but that's not going to happen anymore. I've been saying for a couple weeks now this was going to start happening. After a quick start our offense has been average the past few weeks.

The other teams are going to take away the short stuff and play close to the box until Fitzpatrick and our WR's can prove we can stretch the field vertically which we have not shown the ability to do.

The defense the next few weeks aren't easy either. Cowboys have a decent defense and of course we play the Jets again in NY this time. The Dolphins defense hasn't been bad this year either

It won't be as bad as this week but unless we can start changing some things up and quit being a one trick pony and/or be able to stretch the field we will be average on offense and average around 20 points or less a game give or take. That's average in today's NFL and with our defense giving up an easy 20 points every game we won't see many more wins.

better days
11-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Teams are going to do this the rest of the season. Especially teams with even a decent secondary.

Our schemes caught teams offguard early on but that's not going to happen anymore. I've been saying for a couple weeks now this was going to start happening. After a quick start our offense has been average the past few weeks.

The other teams are going to take away the short stuff and play close to the box until Fitzpatrick and our WR's can prove we can stretch the field vertically which we have not shown the ability to do.

The defense the next few weeks aren't easy either. Cowboys have a decent defense and of course we play the Jets again in NY this time. The Dolphins defense hasn't been bad this year either

It won't be as bad as this week but unless we can start changing some things up and quit being a one trick pony and/or be able to stretch the field we will be average on offense and average around 20 points or less a game give or take. That's average in today's NFL and with our defense giving up an easy 20 points every game we won't see many more wins.

No other team in the NFL has CB's as good as the Jets. Other teams may want to do what the Jets did to the Bills, but they won't have the same success the Jets did because they don't have Revis & Cromartie.

ghz in pittsburgh
11-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Donald Jones is supposed to be a physical receiver and Gailey & Co. like that fact about him. The fact that he challenged balls and prevented INTs in the past showed that. However, I just don't think he's bigger enough to win a lot of battles for a lot of catches.

Nelson has the size and Fitz get the ball to him maximizing that advantage. The Jets started to double him last week. Chandler is another big body and Fitz was able to hook up to him 5 times. But he's way to slow to be effective converting 3rd down in the middle of the field.

From what I can see, Spiller as a WR has a long way to go. They have him doing two routes right now and he has not shown the ability to use his body to shield close defenders like a good WR would do. The ball has to be thrown to a perfect position for him, which is hard for Fitz on his go route - Spiller is not able to adjust to the ball flight in the air while fending off the CB for the best catching position. This is the NFL, not the college level where he can get wide open down the field with his speed alone.

BillsFever21
11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
No other team in the NFL has CB's as good as the Jets. Other teams may want to do what the Jets did to the Bills, but they won't have the same success the Jets did because they don't have Revis & Cromartie.

They don't need Revis and Cromartie as long as they are reliable CB's who are average at coverage and Fitzpatrick isn't able to stretch the field consistently and make them pay for it and back them up a little bit to clear up space in the middle and short passing game.

It was more then just this game. Our passing game hasn't been great since the first few weeks of the season and the past few weeks prior to it we have only been average. Especially when it comes to passing to our wideouts and slot WR's.

Over several of these past games when we only had around 200 yards or so passing most of them yards was from screen passes to Fred Jackson which he broke for long gains. Around 1/3 of the 200 yards or so passing was from Jackson. The Giants and Redskins game comes to mind very well.

Over the past month our passing game to our WR's haven't been very good at all. It started then and was even worse with a great coverage team on the outside like the Jets.

Teams have seen enough film that they are taking away them quick simple short/intermediate passes we had a lot of success with the first month. They are not going to change until we can start backing them up and stretching the field.

They are going to continue to key on on Jackson even more and limit the short passing game and make us beat them by stretching the field with our wideouts instead of screens, slants and short passes to the flats. They are going to make Fitzy beat them down the sideline. Until he does it we will continue to be average in the passing game like we have been lately.