X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmacie
    • Dec 2008

Inept (Corrupt?) Officials

I agree that the officiating is getting worse and will continue to do so until the NFL gets FULL-TIME younger officials. It is a disgrace that the NFL, with all the money it makes, cannot afford a group of PERMANENT officials. They are the only major sports league that does not have a permanent, full-time officiating staff. They could receive inservice training during the week and I am sure the quality of officiating would improve greatly. And the cost would be a pittance of their vast profits. Some of these older officials are a joke. Check out the ref's call after the Ravens winning TD against the Steelers today. The guy has to be senile! Many of these older officials are so out of shape their guts hang over their belts. I am sure that their eyesight isn't great at their age either.

Another problem is that there is just too much money being bet on these games. You are naive if you think that there is not an attempt to influence officials through bribes or intimidation by gamblers. I predict that there will eventually be a scandal involving the officials in the NFL to make the NBA scandal from a few years ago of an official "rigging" games look like nothing. It is just too obvious to real football fans that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the NFL officiating. When you are being paid decent money to watch for certain penalties like holding or interference and flagrant fouls can be seen by viewers on TV an fans in their seats, but not called by the officials on the field, then something is not "kosher".

I don't want to sound like a whiner as we didn't play well today, but there were still a lot of questionable calls which seem to always go against us at crucial times in games. Let's face it, we were "cheated" out of a win in Cincy by totally inept and corrupt officiating.

The NFL MUST do something drastic soon to correct the glaring deficiencies in many members of its officiating staff. The inconsistent application and enforcement of the rules is becoming too blatant and could eventually severely damage the image of the NFL if it continues. Most sports fans I know value fairness above all else in sports. They can tolerate losing as long as they feel they were not denied victory by incompetent or corrupt officials or by league decisions that often seem to favor the larger market, wealthier teams.
  • BertSquirtgum
    • May 2009

Re: Inept (Corrupt?) Officials

At times, it's seems so obvious. I wish there was proof out there. I'm sure if the NFL knew or found out, there would be a massive cover up. It's ****ty to think these guys putting their hearts and souls out of the field might not be getting a fair shake because of some dirty refs.

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
      Closet Bills Fan
      • Nov 2004

the difference between football and other sports is that it isn't a "full time" sport.... its not a game played monday thru sunday like hockey, baseball, and basketball.

hence you have "part time" refs...

j-e-t-s
      jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

There's no proof that hiring full-time staff will weed out the crooks. In fact, it may foster even more corruption.

I remember about a decade ago when the current NFL refs went on strike and they brought in the ones from arena ball and the college game-- other than a few honest glitches, they were far and away better than any of the regulars. They weren't compensated any better than the current squad.

Comment

• zone
          No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
          • Oct 2003

25-75k a season is just sad for a sport that makes the money the NFL does. Someone making that could be easily influenced with a bribe.
          www.blzbus.com

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Full-time won't fix anything, IMO.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
              The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
              • Feb 2005

the refs did not loos the game and anyone claiming that these guys are dirty is just looking for excuses for a loss
              I dont like to loose eaither but fer cryin out loud the bills stunk up the joint and it is what it is the refs did not cause our offense to suck
              In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I have not heard one person state the refs were the reason they lost. What people are upset about is the refs affecting the game and the inconsistency. They clearly were inconsistent yesterday. Fans want the players to decide the game with consistent officiating. Officiating has been very bad this year. Not just the Bills game. Usually it favors big market teams.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Why so Serious?
                  the refs did not loos the game and anyone claiming that these guys are dirty is just looking for excuses for a loss
                  I dont like to loose eaither but fer cryin out loud the bills stunk up the joint and it is what it is the refs did not cause our offense to suck
                  I hope your spelling is meant to be that way for effect.

PTR
                  10 Commandments of the D
                  1. Never stop Rocking.
                  2. Legalize all drugs.
                  3. Quit your day job.
                  4. All Religion should be taxed.
                  5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                  6. F**k her gently.
                  7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                  8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                  9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                  10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

hmmm, i'm thinking 3 botched calls that put the ball on the 1 yard line each time for two teams that aren't really moving the ball otherwise, makes a big difference. It's kind of hard to survive that.

I don't know if the bills would have won if it was called properly, but 27-11 was not indicative of the outcome.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by PromoTheRobot
                      I hope your spelling is meant to be that way for effect.

PTR
                      yis itt are
                      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

First, it's "lose."

Second, while you are right that the refs did not lose the game, it doesn't excuse the officiating yesterday. It was horrendous. And it's not the first time it's happened in a Bills game this year. If you ask me, the officiating has been poor league-wide all season long.

Everyone has to be accountable for their performance, regardless of the outcome.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                          • Feb 2005

Listen, I can see someone arguing that the officiating is poor... that can be a reasonable argument...
                          but someone claiming that the refs are dirty is simply stupid

as for all the frickin english teachers on this board so concerned about spelling, wtf? Im just typing fast... I have masters in my field but TYPING IS NOT MY FIRCKIN FIELD so buzz off LOL (I'm smiling while typing so dont get pissy)

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Listen, I can see someone arguing that the officiating is poor... that can be a reasonable argument...
                            but someone claiming that the refs are dirty is simply stupid

as for all the frickin english teachers on this board so concerned about spelling, wtf? Im just typing fast... I have masters in my field but TYPING IS NOT MY FIRCKIN FIELD so buzz off LOL (I'm smiling while typing so dont get pissy)
                            Is it stupid though? When the officiating is this bad league-wide, and it seems that certain teams seem to benefit it more than others, someone is bound to ask the reason why.

Now, maybe the officiating is just poor league-wide, and because we're biased as Bills fans, we see it as hurting us more than helping us. It would be an interesting study to determine objectively how many bad calls there were and if certain teams did benefit from them more than other teams. Corruption on the part of officials is a serious charge to make with no evidence, but given how bad the officiating has been, it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                              • Feb 2005

OP, anything is "possible" but just cause its "possible" does not make it "Probable" or even "reasonably likely" or even "remotely likely"
                              it's "possible" that a meteor could hit at the 50 yard line... but its not "probable"

Comment

Working...
                              X