PDA

View Full Version : Inept (Corrupt?) Officials

jimmacie
11-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I agree that the officiating is getting worse and will continue to do so until the NFL gets FULL-TIME younger officials. It is a disgrace that the NFL, with all the money it makes, cannot afford a group of PERMANENT officials. They are the only major sports league that does not have a permanent, full-time officiating staff. They could receive inservice training during the week and I am sure the quality of officiating would improve greatly. And the cost would be a pittance of their vast profits. Some of these older officials are a joke. Check out the ref's call after the Ravens winning TD against the Steelers today. The guy has to be senile! Many of these older officials are so out of shape their guts hang over their belts. I am sure that their eyesight isn't great at their age either.

Another problem is that there is just too much money being bet on these games. You are naive if you think that there is not an attempt to influence officials through bribes or intimidation by gamblers. I predict that there will eventually be a scandal involving the officials in the NFL to make the NBA scandal from a few years ago of an official "rigging" games look like nothing. It is just too obvious to real football fans that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the NFL officiating. When you are being paid decent money to watch for certain penalties like holding or interference and flagrant fouls can be seen by viewers on TV an fans in their seats, but not called by the officials on the field, then something is not "kosher".

I don't want to sound like a whiner as we didn't play well today, but there were still a lot of questionable calls which seem to always go against us at crucial times in games. Let's face it, we were "cheated" out of a win in Cincy by totally inept and corrupt officiating.

The NFL MUST do something drastic soon to correct the glaring deficiencies in many members of its officiating staff. The inconsistent application and enforcement of the rules is becoming too blatant and could eventually severely damage the image of the NFL if it continues. Most sports fans I know value fairness above all else in sports. They can tolerate losing as long as they feel they were not denied victory by incompetent or corrupt officials or by league decisions that often seem to favor the larger market, wealthier teams.

BertSquirtgum
11-07-2011, 12:15 AM
At times, it's seems so obvious. I wish there was proof out there. I'm sure if the NFL knew or found out, there would be a massive cover up. It's ****ty to think these guys putting their hearts and souls out of the field might not be getting a fair shake because of some dirty refs.

CuseJetsFan83
11-07-2011, 01:08 AM
the difference between football and other sports is that it isn't a "full time" sport.... its not a game played monday thru sunday like hockey, baseball, and basketball.

hence you have "part time" refs...

Johnny Bugmenot
11-07-2011, 05:27 AM
There's no proof that hiring full-time staff will weed out the crooks. In fact, it may foster even more corruption.

I remember about a decade ago when the current NFL refs went on strike and they brought in the ones from arena ball and the college game-- other than a few honest glitches, they were far and away better than any of the regulars. They weren't compensated any better than the current squad.

zone
11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
25-75k a season is just sad for a sport that makes the money the NFL does. Someone making that could be easily influenced with a bribe.

YardRat
11-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Full-time won't fix anything, IMO.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 06:46 AM
the refs did not loos the game and anyone claiming that these guys are dirty is just looking for excuses for a loss
I dont like to loose eaither but fer cryin out loud the bills stunk up the joint and it is what it is the refs did not cause our offense to suck

don137
11-07-2011, 07:03 AM
I have not heard one person state the refs were the reason they lost. What people are upset about is the refs affecting the game and the inconsistency. They clearly were inconsistent yesterday. Fans want the players to decide the game with consistent officiating. Officiating has been very bad this year. Not just the Bills game. Usually it favors big market teams.

PromoTheRobot
11-07-2011, 08:10 AM
the refs did not loos the game and anyone claiming that these guys are dirty is just looking for excuses for a loss
I dont like to loose eaither but fer cryin out loud the bills stunk up the joint and it is what it is the refs did not cause our offense to suck
I hope your spelling is meant to be that way for effect.

PTR

trapezeus
11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
hmmm, i'm thinking 3 botched calls that put the ball on the 1 yard line each time for two teams that aren't really moving the ball otherwise, makes a big difference. It's kind of hard to survive that.

I don't know if the bills would have won if it was called properly, but 27-11 was not indicative of the outcome.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I hope your spelling is meant to be that way for effect.

PTR
yis itt are

OpIv37
11-07-2011, 08:29 AM

First, it's "lose."

Second, while you are right that the refs did not lose the game, it doesn't excuse the officiating yesterday. It was horrendous. And it's not the first time it's happened in a Bills game this year. If you ask me, the officiating has been poor league-wide all season long.

Everyone has to be accountable for their performance, regardless of the outcome.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Listen, I can see someone arguing that the officiating is poor... that can be a reasonable argument...
but someone claiming that the refs are dirty is simply stupid

as for all the frickin english teachers on this board so concerned about spelling, wtf? Im just typing fast... I have masters in my field but TYPING IS NOT MY FIRCKIN FIELD so buzz off LOL (I'm smiling while typing so dont get pissy)

OpIv37
11-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Listen, I can see someone arguing that the officiating is poor... that can be a reasonable argument...
but someone claiming that the refs are dirty is simply stupid

as for all the frickin english teachers on this board so concerned about spelling, wtf? Im just typing fast... I have masters in my field but TYPING IS NOT MY FIRCKIN FIELD so buzz off LOL (I'm smiling while typing so dont get pissy)

Is it stupid though? When the officiating is this bad league-wide, and it seems that certain teams seem to benefit it more than others, someone is bound to ask the reason why.

Now, maybe the officiating is just poor league-wide, and because we're biased as Bills fans, we see it as hurting us more than helping us. It would be an interesting study to determine objectively how many bad calls there were and if certain teams did benefit from them more than other teams. Corruption on the part of officials is a serious charge to make with no evidence, but given how bad the officiating has been, it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
OP, anything is "possible" but just cause its "possible" does not make it "Probable" or even "reasonably likely" or even "remotely likely"
it's "possible" that a meteor could hit at the 50 yard line... but its not "probable"

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 08:56 AM
these refs are not doing this for the $$$. they are doing it cause they love the action and being part of the NFL scene.

OpIv37
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
OP, anything is "possible" but just cause its "possible" does not make it "Probable" or even "reasonably likely" or even "remotely likely"
it's "possible" that a meteor could hit at the 50 yard line... but its not "probable"

You sure about that?

Have you done an objective study to see which teams were helped by calls, which ones were hurt by calls, and if some teams were helped more than others at a statistically significant level?

The NFL has part-time, poorly paid refs, and there is a lot of money involved in gambling on these games. Without that information, it seems premature to say it's not probable.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 09:08 AM
You sure about that?

Have you done an objective study to see which teams were helped by calls, which ones were hurt by calls, and if some teams were helped more than others at a statistically significant level?

The NFL has part-time, poorly paid refs, and there is a lot of money involved in gambling on these games. Without that information, it seems premature to say it's not probable.

Yes I have done an in depth and exhaustive scientific study that took into account 28 years of games.
You can find that study at:

www.whatareyoucrazy/whothehellhastimeforthat.net

OpIv37
11-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Yes I have done an in depth and exhaustive scientific study that took into account 28 years of games.
You can find that study at:

www.whatareyoucrazy/whothehellhastimeforthat.net

and if there is corruption, that's what they're counting on- people dismissing it as crazy and no one having the time to do the research.

You sit there and condemn people for suggesting that there is corruption without evidence, but then you don't have any evidence of any alternative explanation for the piss-poor officiating either.

Look, I'm not saying that there is definitely corruption, but I think it's stupid to rule it out without doing the research. The NFL officiating has gotten so poor, and there is so much money at stake that it's time someone did some objective research into the reasons why.

psubills62
11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
and if there is corruption, that's what they're counting on- people dismissing it as crazy and no one having the time to do the research.

You sit there and condemn people for suggesting that there is corruption without evidence, but then you don't have any evidence of any alternative explanation for the piss-poor officiating either.

Look, I'm not saying that there is definitely corruption, but I think it's stupid to rule it out without doing the research. The NFL officiating has gotten so poor, and there is so much money at stake that it's time someone did some objective research into the reasons why.
Agree with this. The main reason this sort of thing even comes up is because there are certain teams, certain offenses, and certain players that tend to get favored. When those teams, offenses, and players line up with who the NFL and media seem to favor as well...then it would seem legitimate to question the motives of the officials. Gee, large market teams getting all the calls...must be coincidence!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 09:22 AM
the nfl KNOWS that any HINT of corruption would KILL their cash cow. Im sure that they watch this very closely.... not because they are honorable and pure... but because the LOVE THEIR MONEY and dont want anything to jeprodize it.... now that you can be sure of

psubills62
11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
the nfl KNOWS that any HINT of corruption would KILL their cash cow. Im sure that they watch this very closely.... not because they are honorable and pure... but because the LOVE THEIR MONEY and dont want anything to jeprodize it.... now that you can be sure of
I really doubt it would kill it as much as people think. Corruption has been stamped all over the NBA, still got some of the highest ratings last season.

Would people really stop watching the NFL if it came out that some officials were corrupt? Didn't a new story just come out that Goodell steered Vick towards Philadelphia instead of Buffalo?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
lol once its in your head you just cant let it go :)

Maybin's Revenge
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Well, at least there's one objective poster.

NFL officiating stinks, period. It has stunk for a while, and it's getting worse, but don't blame a loss on the officials when you were getting smashed 27-3 with five minutes left.

mayotm
11-07-2011, 01:37 PM

NFL officiating stinks, period. It has stunk for a while, and it's getting worse, but don't blame a loss on the officials when you were getting smashed 27-3 with five minutes left.Actually, most Bills fans realize the Bills got that asses kicked yesterday. Period. Now go away.

tomz
11-07-2011, 01:40 PM
First, it's "lose."

Second, while you are right that the refs did not lose the game, it doesn't excuse the officiating yesterday. It was horrendous. And it's not the first time it's happened in a Bills game this year. If you ask me, the officiating has been poor league-wide all season long.

Everyone has to be accountable for their performance, regardless of the outcome.

I agree with this line of reasoning. The officiating was clearly poor, and on plays that had a disproportionate impact on the game. However, the Bills certainly contributed to the over all steaming pile of Sanchez of a game.

Two things seemed out of line in the various pass interference etc calls:

1. The call on McKelvin, while it seemed like he held his arm, could not have been visible to the ref standing behind the receiver who called it. The ref was completely shielded from the play. He called it based on reaction all the way.

2. And, speaking of 'why was that not called a hold?' While all of the calls against us were called pass interference, most of those in our favor were called 'illegal contact' or holding. In other words, the same refs tended in two clearly different directions with their judgement calls during the game, sorted by team. In a statistical sense, that is the very definition of bias.

Maybin's Revenge
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Actually, most Bills fans realize the Bills got that asses kicked yesterday. Period.

Not if this forum is any indication.

psubills62
11-07-2011, 01:45 PM

NFL officiating stinks, period. It has stunk for a while, and it's getting worse, but don't blame a loss on the officials when you were getting smashed 27-3 with five minutes left.
Please point out to us who is blaming the loss on the officials.

bf1
11-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I think there are so many obscure and senseless rules (like the tuck rule) and rule changes that's the refs do more thinking than they should have to do. It makes them tentative (or trigger happy) and inconsistent. All just my opinion.

mayotm
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Not if this forum is any indication.I'm sure all the fans on the Jet message boards are completely rational after a bad loss. Your team won yesterday. They completely dominated. There's nothing more to discuss. Now go away.

Billz_fan
11-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I have always said that the officials should be full time young, trained and run at least lets say a high 4 to a 5 in the 40. They need to be paid well and considered pro athletes themselves. Just like the football players the guys in the NFL need to be the best of the best. THey would start out say in the college ranks and have maybe a farm system of some kind so the best work there way up.

psubills62
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Please point out to us who is blaming the loss on the officials.
I'm waiting, Maybin's Revenge. You've made this claim a number of times but can't seem to back it up.

elltrain22
11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
The only thing you ask of officiating, in general, in any sport, is to call it both ways. Yesterday, was so not the case!! Pass interference was much more strict for us versus them. That PI called on us in the 3rd was effin BS!! Also, they flagged Holmes once for offensive PI, but he did at least 2 more times after the fact, and was never called. Why?? B/c they already called it?? His td catch was a clear off pi, but I really think, they didn't call, b/c they already called it.

I was very unimpressed w/ the officiating, but in the end, thats not the only reason we lost.

cordog
11-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I think there are so many obscure and senseless rules (like the tuck rule) and rule changes that's the refs do more thinking than they should have to do. It makes them tentative (or trigger happy) and inconsistent. All just my opinion.

Your right. Another problem is that the refs have waaayyy more discretion then they did 10,15,20 years ago. There was no defenseless receiver rules or any rules about hitting a qb below the knees, and the pass interference rules arent what they are now.

paranoid
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
If a lot of officials are indeed lawyers, as seems to be asserted here and there, it would explain their inability to make fast, accurate decisions.

Lawyers are good at memorizing complex legal codes (and therefore, presumably NFL rules) but their minds are trained to deliberate, argue and present arguments. Not to make fast decisions based on what they observed. That's what cops do.

Officials also have advantage of operating with no transparent accountability for their actions. You need not embrace some grand conspiracy of corruption to recognize that refs use their discretion on every call, and that discretion is always influenced by personal factors. When the personal biases become patterns of terrible calls, whatever rare consequences there are for them do not involve public shaming.

Officials need to be held accountable in some way for patterns of biased behavior, and it should be done in a way that impacts them meaningfully.

psubills62
11-07-2011, 10:22 PM
If anyone is watching the MNF game, the refs are extremely one-sided here too. Vick is getting pummeled over and over with no calls. Cutler gets touched (on a play where Babin is obviously blocked into him) and a flag gets thrown. A late hit got called on Bears latest drive that just led to a TD...IMO it was questionable.

jimmacie
11-08-2011, 10:04 PM
No one has commented on the ridiculous call of the feeble, old referee at the end of the Sunday Night game. On the late Ravens touchdown, there was a flag called for interference on Pittsburgh. But the reciever caught the pass anyhow for a TD. The referee originally said: "There was pass interference on the play. The ball will be placed on the 2 yard line at the spot of the foul." About 30 seconds later, he says, "No, it's a TD." This guy should be fired or forced to retire. There are too many of these old, out of shape, lazy officials around. I still say a full-time officiating staff is the solution. The cost would not be prohibitive for the NFL and they could spend the week critiquing their previous game performance, going through physical conditioning drills, and receiving in-service sessions to make them better officials. With the speed of the NFL games now, it is imperative for ALL officials to be in top physical condition! There should also be an age limit for NFL officials and annual physical tests and eye exams. An earlier writer claimed that the NFL doesn't have full-time officials because they only play one day a week. Well, it is more like 3 or 4 days a week now.
WE NEED BETTER OFFICIATING BADLY!

Bert102176
11-09-2011, 09:58 AM
and just like the ref that was caught in the NBA helping fix games I am sure there are refs in the NFL that take bribes too

stuckincincy
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
No one has commented on the ridiculous call of the feeble, old referee at the end of the Sunday Night game. On the late Ravens touchdown, there was a flag called for interference on Pittsburgh. But the reciever caught the pass anyhow for a TD. The referee originally said: "There was pass interference on the play. The ball will be placed on the 2 yard line at the spot of the foul." About 30 seconds later, he says, "No, it's a TD." This guy should be fired or forced to retire.

C'mon - the guy made a simple mistake and corrected it. You come off like one who would cold-**** a person who picked up that quarter you dropped as they were rising up to hand it back to you.

Jeeze... :wtf: