Our Lack of Speed on Offense Really Frightens Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Our Lack of Speed on Offense Really Frightens Me

The Jets' defense was pretty much up on the line of scrimmage the entire game. I think other teams will play us that way more and more because we have no one that can really get downfield.

We had only three speed burners in camp, and Evans was dumped, Parrish is injured as usual, and Spiller hardly ever touches the ball. So we have posession type receivers (Chandler, Nelson and Roosevelt), plus two guys with average speed in Johnson and Jones, and a glider in Jackson. No real deep threats.

I think we truly saw the negative results of that yesterday.

We either have to get Spiller more involved, or wait to draft/sign some speed next year. These next 8 games could really be a drag if all we can do is plug away with short stuff over the middle and to the sidelines, when everyone knows that's really all we can do.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • 2slowtogofast
    • Sep 2007

Re: Our Lack of Speed on Offense Really Frightens Me

I agree lets see some more of spiller. If not as a RB the as a WR. Put that 1st rounder to good use.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

The good news is the Bills will face few if any defenses as they did Sunday. I agree Spiller has to be more of a factor.

When Nix drafted him, he said the Bills needed a playmaker, time to let him make some plays.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

It is a concern, but I'm not all that worried about it. The Jets (and Eagles) are two of the teams that can beat us like that. In my opinion, most teams don't have good enough CB's to stop our short passing game even if they press. Our WR's have their faults, certainly, but they're very effective in beating CB's on the short routes.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jdbillsfan
          • Oct 2002

I love Fred and he needs touches, but Spiller needs more than 1 carry a game. Even as a decoy on the field, the defense has to account for him.

Comment

• BillyT92679
            • Jul 2002

Jones runs about a 4.42 40 so he isn't slow really. But he's still recovering from his injury.

Also I think all these o line injuries are finally catching up to them... they need Levitre back at guard and Bell back at tackle, or at least Hairston full time.

I'm seeing much more pressure and much worse protection for Fitz than before.
            Last edited by BillyT92679; 11-07-2011, 09:14 AM.
            Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

The Jets have some of the best CB's in this league. Probably should give some credit where credit is due

Comment

• methos4ever
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                The Jets' defense was pretty much up on the line of scrimmage the entire game. I think other teams will play us that way more and more because we have no one that can really get downfield.

We had only three speed burners in camp, and Evans was dumped, Parrish is injured as usual, and Spiller hardly ever touches the ball. So we have posession type receivers (Chandler, Nelson and Roosevelt), plus two guys with average speed in Johnson and Jones, and a glider in Jackson. No real deep threats.

I think we truly saw the negative results of that yesterday.

We either have to get Spiller more involved, or wait to draft/sign some speed next year. These next 8 games could really be a drag if all we can do is plug away with short stuff over the middle and to the sidelines, when everyone knows that's really all we can do.
                I think like boxing analysts usually say, "styles make fights". Our offense isn't smoke and mirrors - it's an effective horizontal passing game. If you look at the Jets, they match up well to that thanks to their corner play (and refs ignoring pi), zone dogs and faking pressure and sneaky "traps" built into their blitzes. Even if Rex faxes Rob the same gameplan, they don't have the defensive backs to do it. The Jets truly are the only team on defense right now in the AFC that is built to completely neutralize our offense.

HOWEVER, it doesn't help when Chan deviates from who they are because of that factor. As the end of the game showed, Stevie can beat Revis if you give him a chance. Fred can run the same screens. We just had to be more creative with said wrinkles in our offense, instead of playing close to the vest ala vs Philly.

You're right with speed though, I think we need to draft or sign a guy that's close to Evans was in speed but either a little bigger (like a Meachem) or quicker (like Royal on Denver).

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by methos4ever
                  We just had to be more creative with said wrinkles in our offense, instead of playing close to the vest ala vs Philly.
                  I was thinking yesterday that the Bills showed very little creativity. It's hard to believe the couldn't get Jones, Chandler, Roosevelt, Spiller, etc., more involved, like they've been doing all year. I expect an offensive mind like Chan's to find a way to exploit a defense and make adjustments, but they didn't until it was garbage time. Chan himself said as much after the game.
                  I also expect a more accurate game from Fitz, and he was just off in every way yesterday.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

The blueprint is there vs. the bills. Control the short to medium passing game and have Fitz beat you downfield. Jones is unproven , Stevie can be controlled vertically and Fitz doesn't have a great deep ball.

Fitz vertical game will best be served with a wr like Fitzgerald or a Calvin Johnson.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      The blueprint is there vs. the bills. Control the short to medium passing game and have Fitz beat you downfield. Jones is unproven , Stevie can be controlled vertically and Fitz doesn't have a great deep ball.

Fitz vertical game will best be served with a wr like Fitzgerald or a Calvin Johnson.
                      I agree that we need a vertical passing game and a stud WR. However, I don't think the short to medium passing game is so easily controlled. Just because one or two teams can stop it doesn't mean all of them can. The blueprint is there, but execution is another matter.

Blueprint has been there to beat the Pats ever since the Giants did it. Doesn't mean teams have necessarily had success.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• PTI
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2011

Before yesterday the Bills allowed less points then the Jets did on defense. Bills have allowed 11 more points then the Jets have.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                          I agree that we need a vertical passing game and a stud WR. However, I don't think the short to medium passing game is so easily controlled. Just because one or two teams can stop it doesn't mean all of them can. The blueprint is there, but execution is another matter.

Blueprint has been there to beat the Pats ever since the Giants did it. Doesn't mean teams have necessarily had success.
                          I agree. Talent has to be there. Defenses would have to have a DRC and a Revis to stop our vertical game. Not everyone can do what they did . Just merely pointing out our weakness which is a lack of vertical passing game.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• kishoph
                            • Jun 2003

More SPILLER.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Outside of the running game, the Bills are throwing quick slants and screen passes...and little else.

Game film doesn't lie and the Jets have the athletes to match up one on one, meaning they can fill the box with bodies. Doesn't leave much open area and it makes the Bills O null and void.

They tried some deep balls yesterday but the coverage was smothering. More rollouts and sweeps should be introduced. Bills were very predictable yesterday and Fitz just can't sit in a deep pocket, playing right into the hands of the D. Never mixed it up to take the Jets out of their D and throw them off balance.

Not sure any burner would make a bit of difference, as Fitz is limited in his ability to throw the true long ball.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X