PDA

View Full Version : I want to know why Wilson's was ruled incomplete

Forward_Lateral
11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Jordy Nelson had a catch in the GB vs SD game, and his ball CLEARLY hit the ground. It was ruled a catch, and a TD. Wilson's was ruled an INT on the field, and I saw no clear evidence that he didn't have control of it when it touched the ground. How on earth did that call get over turned? I would like to hear the NFL's explanation of this.

psubills62
11-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Different officiating crews see thing differently.

It was an INT, in my opinion. Can't see how someone would overrule it based on that "evidence."

Forward_Lateral
11-07-2011, 09:16 AM
The rules are clear cut. I'm not sure how different officials can make different assumptions. If this is the case, then replay truly is useless.

psubills62
11-07-2011, 09:20 AM
The rules are clear cut. I'm not sure how different officials can make different assumptions. If this is the case, then replay truly is useless.
Well obviously certain refs have different definitions of "indisputable evidence."

I don't expect consistency on a game to game basis. It's well known that some crews are more likely to make certain calls (like defensive pass interference), some crews throw more flags in general, etc.

My issue is when one crew isn't consistent within the span of one game.

RedEyE
11-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Julio Jones had one too that was initially ruled incomplete only to be ruled a TD after review.

Difference = Ed Hochuli

stuckincincy
11-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Well obviously certain refs have different definitions of "indisputable evidence."

I don't expect consistency on a game to game basis. It's well known that some crews are more likely to make certain calls (like defensive pass interference), some crews throw more flags in general, etc.

Yup.

Pinkerton Security
11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
i really thought it was an INT.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Especially when they ruled it an interception on the field, they seen conclusive evidence to overturn that?

DraftBoy
11-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Anybody got a video replay?

McBFLO
11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I tweeted at Mike Pereira during the game asking how in the hell Hochuli could have ruled that no INT. His response was...

MikePereira Mike Pereira
@CoreyMc81 he didn't have control of the ball

I replied back making the case that you could CLEARLY see Wilson's red glove under the ball, but didn't get another response from him. That was a joke of a call and a turning point in the game.

TrEd FTW
11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
There wasn't conclusive evidence that it was or wasn't an INT, so the call on the field should've stood. Bad officiating.

BUFF Bills
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Does anyone else think that the NFL should employ a replay system similar to the NHL, where the disputed calls are sent to the "Video Goal (in this case, TD) Judge" to be reviewed by an un-biased NFL judge? Referee's could still make calls on the field and review as needed, but if there is a dispute, or any question about the call it would then be sent to a higher authority. I feel this would help clear up many of the inconsistencies in calls made by the refs...

stuckincincy
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Does anyone else think that the NFL should employ a replay system similar to the NHL, where the disputed calls are sent to the "Video Goal (in this case, TD) Judge" to be reviewed by an un-biased NFL judge? Referee's could still make calls on the field and review as needed, but if there is a dispute, or any question about the call it would then be sent to a higher authority. I feel this would help clear up many of the inconsistencies in calls made by the refs...

Like the crease rule replay in the Dallas game? :nervous:

Cntrygal
11-07-2011, 01:52 PM

This is a FANTASTIC sentence!

PromoTheRobot
11-07-2011, 02:04 PM
The play was ruled incomplete because George Wilson fails to play for the team in the #1 media market in the NFL. The Jets will not be charged a time out.

PTR

RoscoeMagic
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I think this was worse than the Stevie Johnson call vs. Cincinnati.

Beebe's Kid
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I feel like a Steelers fan for the second time this year. Yesterday was one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen.

I was at the game, and they didn't even put a replay up on the screen of the Int, or the non-Int, as it were.

I took umbrage with the inconsistent pass interference calls. Maybe I am just sensitive, but they sure seemed to be going one way.

Meathead
11-07-2011, 05:00 PM
the nfl obviously isnt doing enough to ensure quality control in these replay situations

the rule now states that the ball can actually touch the ground (as a result of that ridiculous no-td-to-win-the-game ruling when the lions wr touched the ball to the ground when he clearly had already caught it and had total control of it). with wilsons int he obviously had control AND had his hand under the ball AND the ruling on the field was a pick so the correct call clearly was to NOT overturn it. but then the ref comes on and says the ball hit the ground therefore it wasnt a pick, which is just embarrassing for the nfl cuz its like that ref doesnt even know the rules now

the bills were pretty easily handled that game, but there were also a couple more very shakey calls that went against them. they would have needed them to go their way to have a chance, but certainly wilsons one should have been a no brainer

I think this was worse than the Stevie Johnson call vs. Cincinnati.

yeah they were both pretty clear cut but the cincy ruling was even worse imo. thats about as obvious a call as you would ever see and to not have it made properly after going under the hood is just mind bottling

ive become just digusted with the replay rulings this season. honestly, why not just dispense with the ref going under the hood and just roll a frikken dice. really, no crap, would that be any less accurate?

Meathead
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
you could make a spectacle of it

have both team captains come to the center of the field, have a big geeky four hundred sided dice, roll it and see what happens. you could also have some sides say 'do an adlib superbowl dance' or 'say something nice about your opponent' just to make it fun

stuckincincy
11-07-2011, 05:06 PM
yeah they were both pretty clear cut but the cincy ruling was even worse imo. thats about as obvious a call as you would ever see and to not have it made properly after going under the hood is just mind bottling

my mind has been bottled for years

even tho im no longer :rain: a yut of america lol

Buddo
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
My first reaction when I saw it on TV, was that Wilson may not have got his hands under it. I was expecting it to be ruled 'incomplete' tbh, so was pleased to see that it was ruled an interception.
From there, I watched all of the replays shown, from every angle they gave, and not once did I see anything that resembled conclusive evidence that the call on the field was wrong.
In fact, just about every view showed Wilson's hand under the football.
The commentators basically were implying that the ruling on the field will stand.
If the NFL has another camera angle that shows the football making contact with the ground before Wilson gets his hands on it, then it should be made available.
As things stand, it just seems to me that the ruling on the field, was overturned arbitrarily, and if you can do that, then you might as well say that the rulings on the field are irrelevant once something goes to replay.

MattyNH
11-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I agree with OP, it would be nice to hear an explanation, from watchign what we saw on TV, it seemed hard to overturn in my opinion.

Question: Does the ref reviewing the play have more TV angles to view from? That could make a difference.

stuckincincy
11-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Let's dispense with this he said/she said stuff and bring back the bump 'n run.

:comedy:

Cntrygal
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
you could make a spectacle of it

have both team captains come to the center of the field, have a big geeky four hundred sided dice, roll it and see what happens. you could also have some sides say 'do an adlib superbowl dance' or 'say something nice about your opponent' just to make it fun

Make the coaches do the macarena in the middle of the field!

Bert102176
11-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Jordy Nelson had a catch in the GB vs SD game, and his ball CLEARLY hit the ground. It was ruled a catch, and a TD. Wilson's was ruled an INT on the field, and I saw no clear evidence that he didn't have control of it when it touched the ground. How on earth did that call get over turned? I would like to hear the NFL's explanation of this.

well hell why was steve johnson's catch earlier this year in the cinci game incomplete, because the Officials suck at their jobs