PDA

View Full Version : So I guess many Zoners were Wrong About Cam Newton

BuffaloBlitz83
11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
This kid continues on a weekly basis, to Dominate and Lead his peers. Not bad for a kid that everyone claimed would be a Ginormous Bust.

I think it is time to say it, it isn't beginners luck. He has done it vs teams like GB. I recall the countless threads slamming the Bills for showing Cam interest.

MikeInRoch
11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
I was wrong.

mikemac2001
11-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I saw high risk high reward I didn't want him but if we drafted him I wouldn't be pissed

Overall I was wrong tho I thought he would.make.plays but not like he has

BertSquirtgum
11-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I called it all a long....:whistle:

BuffaloBlitz83
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I wanted him all along too

EricStratton
11-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm just pissed at the Bills brass for passing up on him.

tampabay25690
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
This kid continues on a weekly basis, to Dominate and Lead his peers. Not bad for a kid that everyone claimed would be a Ginormous Bust.

I think it is time to say it, it isn't beginners luck. He has done it vs teams like GB. I recall the countless threads slamming the Bills for showing Cam interest.

You cant say everyone....
I wanted the Bills to take him bad if he slipped.
Most that didnt like him probably never watched him on a regular basis...
Yea he is the real deal and Carolina will build around him and only get better.

BuffaloBlitz83
11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
You cant say everyone....
I wanted the Bills to take him bad if he slipped.
Most that didnt like him probably never watched him on a regular basis...
Yea he is the real deal and Carolina will build around him and only get better.

Yea, I remember you were a big supporter. I really think he'd do great in Gailey's system running the spread leaving him great scrambling opportunities and check downs to Fred

Jaybird
11-08-2011, 08:44 PM
most of the football world was wrong

we are
11-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Yeah, Carolina got a hell of a steal with newton at 4.

Bert102176
11-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I admit I was wrong but I still didn't want him here

Bert102176
11-09-2011, 12:00 AM
even though there is no way we get him I wanted Luck

better days
11-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Well, I was a critic, but I posted after the 1st half of his 1st game I was wrong.

Joe Fo Sho
11-09-2011, 12:14 AM
What's the point of this thread? Did you want the Bills to trade up for him? I don't get it.

The Jokeman
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I'll admit I was wrong but at the same time no other rookie DEs can match Dareus' overall performance so in the end think we can't complain too much.

Beebe's Kid
11-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I was wrong about Newton. I have no problem admitting that. Good for him...couldn't happen to a better guy. Really, though, I could give a **** less. He isn't on the Bills. If he would have slipped and we took Dareus, I still would have been fine with the pick, in all honesty.

You were a big supporter, when you weren't bemoaning the Bills for not getting Vick, so kudos, I suppose.

I like that there is still a bunch of "Chan and the running QB" sentiment floating around. Fitzy ran a hell of a lot more before Chan got here. If your QB is running for his life, that is not an ideal offensive scheme. I know that Cam and Vick can create plays, but they could also take a shot and be done for the year. Keeping your QB upright is the ideal situation if you are looking to push the ball down the field.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-09-2011, 05:35 AM
I can't believe the Bills past on him. Why, just why do some of you feel that you really need to start threads like this? I know you are entitled to post what you want, but these are the dumbest things on this board. This is BB.com s*#t!! If you want to be the "I told you so" guy, why don't you head over there. Note to some of you _______, we are just fans.

chernobylwraiths
11-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Peterson looks pretty good too. So what? I have liked Darius so far and am glad we have him.

X-Era
11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Actually I see a parallel with Fitz where a system can be tailored to help a QB be successfull. Don't get me wrong, I think both have talent.

But, I think people like me should not be as concerned with having superior talent at QB. I think the system is just as important or maybe even more important.

So, I don't think we can say Cam is a stud in and of himself. I think the tailored system is a big factor.

DraftBoy
11-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Half a year people...half a year.

And I thought Cam could suceed in the NFL.

don137
11-09-2011, 07:02 AM
I was definitely wrong about Newton. I think Steve Smith makes Newton look better on the deep balls since he consistently makes the tough catches in traffic, but he has great pocket awareness and checks down to his 2nd and 3rd receivers which many didn't think he would make his progressions as fluently as he has done.
I remember all those laughing at the Panthers because Luck stayed in school. By staying in school this had a direct effect on Buffalo because it sounded like Newton was their first choice. I think Buffalo would of done great with either Newton or Dareus.

k-oneputt
11-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Count me as wrong about Newton.

Only been eight games though. Sometimes things change when they get tape on teams {Billls} and qb's.

EDS
11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Argueably none of the teams that picked in the top 7 are disappointed with their choices so far:

1. Newton - Hard to argue with production, but will need to win in years ahead.
2. Miller - 6.5 sacks in half a season; big time edge rusher as envisioned.
3. Dareus - All around DT/DE.
4. Green - Already one of the best WR in the game.
5. Peterson - Still better athlete then corner, but wow what a punt returner.
6. Jones - Busted out big this week; gave up a lot to get him but looks worthy of the pick
7. Smith - Another big time edge rusher; drafter earlier than many thought and hard to argue with the pick now - particularly given team success.

trapezeus
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
i was wrong so far. i didn't think he'd see the field. but the guy is dynamic.

i thought from the auburn championship game that he looked a bit clueless and the running game won them that championship. but perhaps all the fire surrounding his pick was the motivation he needed. Good for him. and good he's in the NFC.

Mr. Miyagi
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I still don't like him as a (perceived) person but his play on the field cannot be disputed.

justasportsfan
11-09-2011, 09:03 AM
I love Dareus!!!

Bill Cody
11-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I was 100% sold on his physical capabilities which are off the charts. I wanted confirmation of his gray matter but when it appeared Nix and Gailey were on board I was too. I think Carolina had to take him and it's looking like a genius move. I have no doubt though if they had passed Cam would be a Bill. Dareus has been solid though. based on our recent draft history I'll take solid.

HAMMER
11-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I was on board with Cam, Gailey and Nix were on board with Cam BIG time. Alas, it was not meant to be. Just glad they took Dareus and didn't reach for Gabbert.

CleveSteve
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
I was wrong. I thought with only playing one year in college on a totally loaded team he would be unprepared to compete in the NFL on a sub-average team. I think the stuff he went through with the scandals may have actually helped him, as he had some real adversity and scrutiny put on him in college. A lot of QBs that you see handed perennial winners (Young, McCoy, Leinart, Sanchez) end up doing nothing in the NFL when guys who only have moderate success (and surrounding talent) in college (Rodgers, Stafford, Rivers, Cutler, Brady) can end up being terrific NFL players.

PromoTheRobot
11-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I was wrong. Newton looks amazing right now. Still makes bad plays but he should improve with experience. But he still has to do it.

PTR

Philagape
11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
I haven't seen him play other than in highlights, so I can't say whether his numbers are the result of a tremendous athlete playing dumbed-down sandlot ball, or whether he really is handling the enormous mental complexity of the position and seeing the whole field and making use of all his options. If he is indeed doing the latter, then he's beating the odds and refuting the skepticism that was very understandable, because any mental acumen he had was certainly not apparent to most.
We won't know for sure until next season, when the league really knows him and has a large body of work on film. If it is just sandlot ball, it wouldn't be the first time it has succeeded for a while; just look at Losman in 06.
What would be unwarranted is if fans used Newton to justify wanting other athletes-more-than-quarterbacks: "Cam Newton did it and people thought he was stupid!" There are always exceptions. Newton is an exception and always will be.

Mike
11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I saw this potential in him however I thought that he would not be able to find the open receiver....and as a result be a major bust. He has excelled not only in the physical aspects of the game but also the mental. I am very glad to see him excel, watching him over the next 10-15years will be a lot of fun.

In all truth, after Ryan Leaf and J. Russell everyone, myself included, was trying to call the next great bust, and as any unpolished QB, Cam fit that to a tee. I think he is playing better now, than he was at Alabama.

Its actually quite amazing and inspiring what he is doing, I don't think there ever was a better Rookie QB in league history, and he might be the third QB in NFL history to surpass 5,000 passing.

Mahdi
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I was begging the Bills to take him somehow. There was not much not to like about him.

Great mechanics, downfield throwing ability, RB skills and ability to scan the field for targets. Not to mention his freakish size which not only helps him run the ball with speed and power but also helps him look over top blockers and the DL which is a huge advantage.

better days
11-09-2011, 05:23 PM
I was 100% sold on his physical capabilities which are off the charts. I wanted confirmation of his gray matter but when it appeared Nix and Gailey were on board I was too. I think Carolina had to take him and it's looking like a genius move. I have no doubt though if they had passed Cam would be a Bill. Dareus has been solid though. based on our recent draft history I'll take solid.

Exactly the way I felt. I have faith in Buddy & Chan & posted in the origional Cam thread that if they drafted him, I was on board.

stuckincincy
11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
As noted above - 8 games in.

tampabay25690
11-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Doesn't matter who was right or wrong...
I think the top rookies have looked pretty damn good.
I had Peterson rated as my #1 player overall and he looks like a gem...

Cam, Von Miller, Dareus, Peterson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith.
Now this group looks real nice as of right now....

Some can say its only half the season but you can tell after half the season if a player will be good IM SORRY........

CAM will only get better which is really scary....

tampabay25690
11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
As noted above - 8 games in.

What does that mean??
He will get worse??

The problem is defensive coachong will have a tuff time coming up with a gameplan for him.....
I dont care if it's 8 games or not.

BillsFever21
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Actually I see a parallel with Fitz where a system can be tailored to help a QB be successfull. Don't get me wrong, I think both have talent.

But, I think people like me should not be as concerned with having superior talent at QB. I think the system is just as important or maybe even more important.

So, I don't think we can say Cam is a stud in and of himself. I think the tailored system is a big factor.

A lot of times it's a little bit of both or a certain system can make the QB. For someone like Brady he fell in the right situation or he wouldn't have had the success he has. Granted he improved on that to become a great QB but the system originally helped him.

Then you have guys like Peyton Manning. It wouldn't have mattered what system he was in he was going to be a great QB. At least in the regular season.

Then there are some guys that can only do good in a certain system but you put them somewhere else and they would be horrible. It depends on the QB.

BillsFever21
11-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Doesn't matter who was right or wrong...
I think the top rookies have looked pretty damn good.
I had Peterson rated as my #1 player overall and he looks like a gem...

Cam, Von Miller, Dareus, Peterson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith.
Now this group looks real nice as of right now....

Some can say its only half the season but you can tell after half the season if a player will be good IM SORRY........

CAM will only get better which is really scary....
Outside of the QB it will be interesting to see which ones out of that group becomes elite stars and which ones become just regular starters or an occasional pro-bowler.

Peterson and AJ Green have made the biggest impacts as of right now. Cincy had a good draft as of right now. Green looks like a monster and the next Fitzgerald/C.Johnson type of WR and Dalton is playing pretty good for a rookie QB that they got in the 2nd round.

They are 6-2 with a rookie QB and WR combo. That's pretty impressive. Not to mention they parlayed that Dalton pick into a 1st round pick from the Raiders for an aging Carson Palmer who didn't even want to be there anymore. They really made out good from this draft assuming that Dalton keeps progressing and ends up as a long-term answer for them.

As it stands right now I sure wouldn't have minded taking Dalton with our 2nd round pick instead of Aaron Williams. It remains to be seen what will become of Williams especially since he has been injured most of the season but if Dalton ends up as a reliable starter in this league it would've been a great pick. We would've had a younger option for the next decade and wouldn't be paying Fitzpatrick all this money. Fitzpatrick is nothing more then a system QB who can't consistently throw the deep ball with strength/accuracy and will flame out and have short-lived success.

Even though we gave him that money I wouldn't hesitate to draft a QB in the 2nd round or even the 1st round next year for the future if the right guy was there. Of course would prefer it be a 2nd round QB that could groom to take over in a year or two afterward to replace Fitzpatrick. If by some miracle Fitzpatrick was still playing great then it never hurts to have a 2nd good QB. You can always trade one of them for high compensation as we have seen many times.

YardRat
11-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Don't mind me, but I'm going to wait until he has a full season or three before admitting I was wrong.

I still prefer Dareus, even if Newton was on the board when our turn came up.

JCBills
11-10-2011, 09:04 AM

You're pissed they didn't overpay to jump a pick?

OpIv37
11-10-2011, 09:10 AM

First, I was wrong about Newton.

Second, GB's D isn't all that great. They win because of their O.

Third, as far as the Bills are concerned, it's irrelevant because they never had the opportunity to pick him, which is exactly what I hoped would happen. The Bills didn't have to take the risk, and since they didn't pass on him, there's no remorse for not taking him.

YardRat
11-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Second, GB's D isn't all that great. They win because of their O.

#1 in points allowed (least) last year, middle of the NFC pack this year.

Figster
11-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Cams got it all, size, speed/ great wheels, cannon of an arm, good accuracy, heart of a Champion. What really stands out to me about Newton the most though is his love for the game of football,

Cam Newton lives and breaths for the game of Football...

Mski
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM
i guess i should be eating a big bowl of crow since the bills passed on him, and now he's tearing things up.......

oh wait... the bills didnt pass on him, he didnt make it to the bills pick

Dozerdog
11-11-2011, 09:16 AM
It makes no difference- we could not draft him. We did all right at the draft

JCBills
11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
#1 in points allowed (least) last year, middle of the NFC pack this year.

I wonder when Op will realize he usually has no idea what he's talking about.