PDA

View Full Version : Nelson new to double team challenge

justasportsfan
11-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Fitzpatrick didn’t shy away from trying to go to Nelson to make plays against the Jets, but both of his interceptions were on plays when he had his slot receiver targeted. On both occasions New York uncharacteristically dropped linebackers into coverage. In the first instance it was Calvin Pace, and on the very next possession in the second quarter it was David Harris. Both came up with the ball for the Jets.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Nelson-new-to-double-team-challenge/57d50916-924b-4b84-b5da-949a8d07584c

Jaybird
11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
If he's double teamed.. the Tight End should be single covered undernear.. Chan and Co will make the adjustments

psubills62
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
There was one play late in the first half (I think before the turnovers started) where Fitzpatrick threw deep to Jones. Meanwhile, Nelson was running a wide open crossing route underneath. Literally wide open, nobody near him. Jets did a great job of anticipating when he was going to go to Nelson.

TigerJ
11-09-2011, 01:10 PM
If Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey are as smart as people have thought they were, then this should be relatively easy to counter. Fitz can't lock on receivers and become stuck in his own tendencies. If Nelson is going to be open on first and second down, and well covered on third and long, then first and second down is when they need to get the ball to him. Then on third down, use him as a decoy and go somewhere else to a receiver who is single covered or left open. The strength of Gailey's spread/pistol offense is there there are enough eligible skill guys that the QB should be able to find someone open no matter what. Fitz couldn't last Sunday. Maybe they just have to execute it better.

stuckincincy
11-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't get to see the games, but I do scour up this or that replay.

Nelson/Johnson need to be coached up on early pattern moves IMO - DBs seem to be getting an extra second of backpeddle lately.

I'm surprised Fitz hasn't been picked more. Don't like that extra second - that's eyeballs on the OL, the QB's motions and looks, the RBs.

Please no more talk about Spiller at wr. If I stick him out there, he's tossing a chip block and weaving into the middle to draw coverage and might be is position for a quick pass as a qb scans. Make that completion and zoom he goes.

I'd really try to get him going up the gut. He's not a small rb, like Sproles. And that guy can now and then pop an inside run and fly. Spiller having only 17 carries so far is nuts. Fred goes down, you have to play a guy with only a handful of game licks. You can't find some more backfield playing time over 8 games for your 2010 #1 rb pick, either something is wrong with him, or the staff. One or the other.

justasportsfan
11-09-2011, 02:55 PM
It's pretty obvious that we lack reliable wr's that can open things up for us and a qb whose deep throws are his weakness. The jets are one of the few teams that have great cb's who can beat our wr's one on one.

If teams can shut down our short to mid range passing games , we're in trouble if neither Nelson nor Stevie can win their one on one match ups.

trapezeus
11-09-2011, 03:04 PM
i didn't think it was such an issue with the receivers. fitz just looked very tentative and unwilling to pass. He rifled that 3rd and short at a wide open fred jackson that probably would have been a touchdown and made the game 13-10.

The whole game was uncharacteristic of everyone and it just felt like the team was waiting for another teammate to make the play to get it going. They didn't get the calls, they didn't try anything imaginitive when they were getting shut down and they weren't getting short yard carries at home in a game they need to win.

I think those problems go away this week, but that they might still be a problem come the second jets matchup.

RoscoeMagic
11-09-2011, 03:16 PM
There was one play late in the first half (I think before the turnovers started) where Fitzpatrick threw deep to Jones. Meanwhile, Nelson was running a wide open crossing route underneath. Literally wide open, nobody near him. Jets did a great job of anticipating when he was going to go to Nelson.

I remember that. I think Phil Simms said that deep pass to Jones was made to keep the Jets D honest. I guess Fitz shoulda just went to Nelson :scratch:

stuckincincy
11-09-2011, 03:20 PM
It's pretty obvious that we lack reliable wr's that can open things up for us and a qb whose deep throws are his weakness. The jets are one of the few teams that have great cb's who can beat our wr's one on one.

If teams can shut down our short to mid range passing games , we're in trouble if neither Nelson nor Stevie can win their one on one match ups.

Well, they haven't been much of a Bills draft priority in the past decade. I count them selecting 5 in round 4 or higher since 2001. One TE in their top 4 picks over that span - Kevin Everett.

As ye sow, so shall you reap, I suppose.

justasportsfan
11-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Well, they haven't been much of a Bills draft priority in the past decade. I count them selecting 5 in round 4 or higher since 2001. One TE in their top 4 picks over that span - Kevin Everett.

As ye sow, so shall you reap, I suppose.

I agree. except for some exceptions lower draft picks have their limitations when it comes to facing naturally gifted athletes. Will Donald Jones be the next Eric Moulds when it comes to fighting for the ball? Who knows? I seriously doubt it though. Moulds at his prime would have been great with Stevie opposite him.

stuckincincy
11-09-2011, 04:16 PM
I agree. except for some exceptions lower draft picks have their limitations when it comes to facing naturally gifted athletes. Will Donald Jones be the next Eric Moulds when it comes to fighting for the ball? Who knows? I seriously doubt it though. Moulds at his prime would have been great with Stevie opposite him.

It's sad - decade-long rb luxury picks...drafts loaded with dbs with only a few sticking or mattering. No moves in the qb derby save JP. No tossing the dice on a wr. Or a TE. LB's drafted high? Gun-shy for years after picking OT Mike Williams.