PDA

View Full Version : Get Brad Smith involved

Mahdi
11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
I just finished watching highlights of Tebow and how he beat the Raiders defense last week.

Denver employed a Zone-Read offense, pretty much what he was doing at Florida. Its about time OC put their pride away and catered to the strengths of the players they draft by using material from the playbooks they used in college.

Anyway, my point is, Brad Smith can be used in the same way with this Zone-Read stuff. Willis McGahee ran wild off of it and FJ can do the same or better.

We paid Smith so we might as well find a way to use him and I think this is it and it would be a good alternative when our offense stalls or when we're playing against a defense like the Jets.

Watch and read this....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823f11ac/article/zoneread-option-leads-to-big-results-for-tebow-broncos

BertSquirtgum
11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
nope

DraftBoy
11-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Smith isn't a zone read QB.

The zone read is a relatively new version of the option, its not something he ran at Missouri much if memory serves me correctly.

Oaf
11-10-2011, 12:05 PM
When we were clicking, avoiding Spiller/Smith wasn't a problem. Now that we've slowed, not using them suddenly is. Give it a week or two more, and I'm sure Gailey will get em involved.

mayotm
11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Smith has been effective in short yardage situations this year. I found it odd that he wasn't used last week when the Bills were awful in short yardage situations.

Mahdi
11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Smith isn't a zone read QB.

The zone read is a relatively new version of the option, its not something he ran at Missouri much if memory serves me correctly.
I don't think he needs to be a zone-read QB to run the zone read. He has RB skills and can throw. And he doesn't even need to be able to throw to run those plays.

DraftBoy
11-10-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think he needs to be a zone-read QB to run the zone read. He has RB skills and can throw. And he doesn't even need to be able to throw to run those plays.

The zone read play though requires the ability to read the end and understand where the other players on.

People will point to Vick and say he picked it up easily despite his offense being different at VT but he has athleticism that nobody had seen before from a QB and it took him years to master the zone read.

Just like it took Tebow years of running it at Florida. I dont think Smith would be a very good zone read QB and its not that hard to defense with a good scheme and the 3-4 specifically would be a good defense against it as long as your OLB stay disciplined.

bigbub2352
11-10-2011, 07:23 PM
this was a bad signing..a waste of money...should have used that money on an OLB or ILB or DLineman...or used that money towards signing that would actually contribute

Johnny Bugmenot
11-11-2011, 02:52 PM
When we were clicking, avoiding Spiller/Smith wasn't a problem. Now that we've slowed, not using them suddenly is. Give it a week or two more, and I'm sure Gailey will get em involved.
Oaf, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not... but defenses adapt to offenses over the course of a season. That's why you always see these big, high-scoring shootouts early in the season and a lot more slow, defensive struggles toward the end. A good offense is dynamic. It always finds a way to stay one step ahead of the defenses it faces. Remember the year when Miami threw Sage Rosenfels into the game against Buffalo and won? Same principle-- the Bills didn't know what to expect from him, and they lost because of it.

The fact that Smith has, to this point, been pretty much used for one play and one play alone so far this season makes him that much more of an X factor heading into the second half of the season. If Gailey is as good of a coach as they say he is, then he would be a fool not to incorporate the few less-used weapons in his arsenal. That would include Smith and Spiller. It doesn't have to be super-complicated, just fresh.