PDA

View Full Version : Pegula's statement on Penn State scandal

Fitzpatrick'sbeard
11-10-2011, 04:37 PM
"The events that are unfolding at Penn State University are deeply troubling
and a matter of great concern to me and my

wife (http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/141317/37/Terry-Pegula-Releases-Statement-on-Penn-State-Scandal#)
Kim.As many have expressed, our primary concern is for the
individuals and families who may have been victimized.

"Penn State's reputation has been severely tarnished. We are encouraged to
see the University trustees have begun the process of restoring integrity and
trust in the institution. This process will take a

period (http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/141317/37/Terry-Pegula-Releases-Statement-on-Penn-State-Scandal#) of
time and trust will need to be re-earned as a result of these recent
disclosures.

"Penn State is supported by millions of students, alumni, faculty, staff and
administrators. Our own support for Penn State and its hockey program is well
known and will continue. We expect the University will carry out its educational
mission with high standards and integrity."

Pegula donated more than $80 million to the school's hockey (http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/141317/37/Terry-Pegula-Releases-Statement-on-Penn-State-Scandal#) program to help build a rink and develop a Division 1 NCAA men's hockey program.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/141317/37/Terry-Pegula-Releases-Statement-on-Penn-State-Scandal

Skooby
11-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Oops, well that's $ down the drain. Imagine having to tell people you're from Penn State??

SpillerThrills
11-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Oops, well that's $ down the drain. Imagine having to tell people you're from Penn State??

Penn State is upping their hockey program to DI within the next few years so that's not really money down the drain. if he had put money towards the football program then I would have to agree with you.

Skooby
11-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Penn State is upping their hockey program to DI within the next few years so that's not really money down the drain. if he had put money towards the football program then I would have to agree with you.

Who's going to want to play sports or be related with that school anymore?(

psubills62
11-10-2011, 10:16 PM
People who understand that one child molester does not make everyone at PSU a child molester or enabler.

Football is really the only sport that will be affected, and I don't think it will be nearly as bad as people expect. It mainly depends on what coach we hire and how he handles it when addressing recruits.

With regards to hockey, no effect has been seen. A big basketball recruit just committed almost right after these allegations came out. Not everyone is as knee-jerk emotional and generalizing as the media.

Skooby
11-11-2011, 02:20 AM
People who understand that one child molester does not make everyone at PSU a child molester or enabler.

Football is really the only sport that will be affected, and I don't think it will be nearly as bad as people expect. It mainly depends on what coach we hire and how he handles it when addressing recruits.

With regards to hockey, no effect has been seen. A big basketball recruit just committed almost right after these allegations came out. Not everyone is as knee-jerk emotional and generalizing as the media.

Alumni dreams & hopes but in reality, it involves the whole town. I suppose the president being fired & the missing DA were just football related as well, right? Maybe the shower / locker room were the only areas touched by the scandal, no chance this or other pedophiles were left to roam untouched & overlooked.

This is going to be alot more deeper, these types of men run in groups.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Why does Pegula need to release a statement?

hydro
11-11-2011, 08:05 AM

Because Bucky wants something to write about!

Mski
11-11-2011, 08:22 AM
Because Bucky wants something to write about!or something to not write about

hydro
11-11-2011, 08:38 AM
or something to not write about
:huh:

Mski
11-11-2011, 08:42 AM
:huh:he made the statement, and bucky still blasted him for not making a big enough statement, basically it was just a big fluf piece he wrote without really saying anything

psubills62
11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Alumni dreams & hopes but in reality, it involves the whole town. I suppose the president being fired & the missing DA were just football related as well, right? Maybe the shower / locker room were the only areas touched by the scandal, no chance this or other pedophiles were left to roam untouched & overlooked.

This is going to be alot more deeper, these types of men run in groups.
No, it really doesn't involve the whole town. There very well might be other people involved (as the recent rumors indicate), but it's not like every professor and admin suddenly became a predator that is a threat to any student.

I said football was the only sport affected. Obviously the school is more than football.

And just FYI, I'm not an alum of Penn State, never went there, just a fan. But even as a fan I believe there are still hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions of people, who are associated with Penn State that I can be proud of. The actions and inactions of a few don't negate the higher values that the institution (which is MORE than just Joe Paterno) has passed on to people.

psubills62
11-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Just in case you're interested, here's a tweet from a football recruit (and not even one that has publicly committed to Penn State):

"I think if you decommitt and abondon a school after something like the psu case u need to check your self bcuz u have #LoyalityIssues"

Skooby
11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
No, it really doesn't involve the whole town. There very well might be other people involved (as the recent rumors indicate), but it's not like every professor and admin suddenly became a predator that is a threat to any student.

I said football was the only sport affected. Obviously the school is more than football.

And just FYI, I'm not an alum of Penn State, never went there, just a fan. But even as a fan I believe there are still hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions of people, who are associated with Penn State that I can be proud of. The actions and inactions of a few don't negate the higher values that the institution (which is MORE than just Joe Paterno) has passed on to people.

I'll agree to disagree, you obviously had to live down 4 straight superbowl losses over the past 20 years. People don't forget very easily, it takes time.

chernobylwraiths
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM

I would assume because everyone knows how he gave a great deal of money to the University for their hockey program and because he probably got a lot of calls from local media about it. Media response is always to go to the most popular or well known guy with some affiliation to the "story".