PDA

View Full Version : Vanek and Roy

OpIv37
11-11-2011, 08:01 PM
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that this team has no true scorers.

At the start of last season, Roy was hot and Vanek was cold before Roy got injured.

This season, Vanek has been hot but Roy has been ice cold.

The last couple of games, Roy stepped it up but now Vanek is back to last year's form.

This team could be dangerous if these two could get it going at the same time, but they are both too inconsistent.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 08:05 PM
vanek scored two goals last game and is second in the NHL in goals, #7 in points despite playing less games than almost everyone with more

WTF are you talking about

not to mention roy was still recovering from an injury at the beginning of the year and is still getting back to 100%... now that he's healthier he's more productive. who would've thought?

Crisis
11-11-2011, 08:37 PM
and then vanek sets up adam's goal

Skooby
11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that this team has no true scorers.

At the start of last season, Roy was hot and Vanek was cold before Roy got injured.

This season, Vanek has been hot but Roy has been ice cold.

The last couple of games, Roy stepped it up but now Vanek is back to last year's form.

This team could be dangerous if these two could get it going at the same time, but they are both too inconsistent.

Agreed but Roy has to get a few games to make love & Vanek is finding new friends to assist, so it looks like a plan coming together. I can't look at a few lousy passes & call Vanek all that is evil

OpIv37
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
vanek scored two goals last game and is second in the NHL in goals, #7 in points despite playing less games than almost everyone with more

WTF are you talking about

not to mention roy was still recovering from an injury at the beginning of the year and is still getting back to 100%... now that he's healthier he's more productive. who would've thought?

Well, Vanek is playing like **** tonight despite setting up Adam. He made some sloppy cross ice passes and took 2 penalties in the 1st, including an offensive zone penalty. If you can't see that, it just shows your bias.

And Roy got injured in December of LAST year. That injury recovery was just Rob Ray and Harry Neale's bull**** excuse for Roy's sloppy play.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 08:53 PM
my bias? vanek has TWO bad periods and you're jumping all over him. He's #2 in the NHL in goalscoring and you're *****ing about his inconsistency, where's the bias here again?

It's pretty common knowledge that Roy wasn't 100% to start the season, and still isn't now.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 08:59 PM
there's plenty of things to ***** about with this team but thomas vanek having two bad periods in a game we're winning 5-1 isn't one of them

OpIv37
11-11-2011, 09:02 PM
my bias? vanek has TWO bad periods and you're jumping all over him. He's #2 in the NHL in goalscoring and you're *****ing about his inconsistency, where's the bias here again?

It's pretty common knowledge that Roy wasn't 100% to start the season, and still isn't now.

It's not common knowledge- it's excuses.

And as far as bias- 2 periods, lmao.

When was the last time Vanek and Roy were both hot at the same time? Has it EVER happened?

You're looking at it in a vacuum.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Just watching Roy at the beginning of the year you could tell he wasn't all there yet.

Vanek is top 5 in scoring right now, who's *****ing about his production right now exactly?

Skooby
11-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Just watching Roy at the beginning of the year you could tell he wasn't all there yet.

Vanek is top 5 in scoring right now, who's *****ing about his production right now exactly?

He's talking about 2 guys playing like winners, that's what it's going to take to overcome years of frustration.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 09:12 PM
He's talking about 2 guys playing like winners, that's what it's going to take to overcome years of frustration.

Again, one guy is top 5 in the NHL in points and the other guy is starting to heat up after coming back from an injury. He's *****ing about nothing.

Anything less than a goal a shift for Vanek = failure.

Electrici
11-11-2011, 09:12 PM
The Sabres won..... let's talk about all the bad things!!! I, for one, am going to enjoy the win and crack open a beer. 'Til the next game, gentlemen.

Skooby
11-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Again, one guy is top 5 in the NHL in points and the other guy is starting to heat up after coming back from an injury. He's *****ing about nothing.

Bedwetting plays show up for those who are watching, the announcers even talked about it.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Bedwetting plays show up for those who are watching, the announcers even talked about it.

Vanek had a bad game.... and still managed to show up on the scoresheet and set up Adam's goal directly. That's exactly what a scorer does, which is what Op is complaining about here.

It's mainly just the fact that Op was *****ing about a guy who's over a PPG this year and one of the NHL leaders, while the Sabres were leading 3-1. I guess he just needed something else to complain about because the game didn't go into OT.

Skooby
11-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Vanek had a bad game.... and still managed to show up on the scoresheet and set up Adam's goal directly. That's exactly what a scorer does, which is what Op is complaining about here.

It's mainly just the fact that Op was *****ing about a guy who's over a PPG this year and one of the NHL leaders, while the Sabres were leading 3-1. I guess he just needed something else to complain about because the game didn't go into OT.

I find him looking for the team leaders to lead, we won but we need to win based not on our leaders handing away opportunities that can lead to goals. You want to win against the best teams, then you don't fail in baisc plays.

OP never said the team didn't play well, Vanek played less than acceptable being a leader. He has a A on his jersey, not a L.

Skooby
11-11-2011, 09:37 PM
The Sabres won..... let's talk about all the bad things!!! I, for one, am going to enjoy the win and crack open a beer. 'Til the next game, gentlemen.

We have 5 losses with probably one of the most taletned teams out there, we should win without leaders failing to lead.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I find him looking for the team leaders to lead, we won but we need to win based not on our leaders handing away opportunities that can lead to goals. You want to win against the best teams, then you don't fail in baisc plays.

OP never said the team didn't play well, Vanek played less than acceptable being a leader. He has a A on his jersey, not a L.

Vanek is a legitimate MVP candidate right now, calling him out is just plain stupid... calling him out the game after he scored a game-winning overtime goal no less.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 10:05 PM
We have 5 losses with probably one of the most taletned teams out there, we should win without leaders failing to lead.

Production from people wearing letters is the last thing anyone should be complaining about this season.

Electrici
11-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Can you tell me the point of examining the game under a microscope like so? You're talking about Vanek turnovers that had no bearing on the game whatsoever. Could they have turned into goals? Sure. Guess what, no one is perfect... Vanek makes mistakes and so will everyone else.. lots of times. The fact that you have to force the issue when the Sabres won by 4 goals; allowing just one... well... I don't even know what to say. Honestly, who cares?

He made some mistakes, yes, IMO this does not make any difference toward his leadership qualities. Have you ever played sports? Made a mistake(s) in a game? Were your leadership traits affected? I think they should be strengthened due to the adversity... but I get back to my main point: Who cares?

THATHURMANATOR
11-11-2011, 10:25 PM
So Op is ripping on Vanek who is one of the best players in the league so far this year??? AFTER a 5-1 win?

What a dumbass

OpIv37
11-11-2011, 11:03 PM

It's not nothing. The injury is an excuse and nothing more. Your willingness to say Roy is "heating up" after one slightly above average game and one good game once again shows your bias.

Skooby
11-11-2011, 11:19 PM
It's not nothing. The injury is an excuse and nothing more. Your willingness to say Roy is "heating up" after one slightly above average game and one good game once again shows your bias.

Forgiving efforts that show a lack concentration means that you plan on losing against the good teams.

Crisis
11-11-2011, 11:27 PM

Ummmm isn't that your whole purpose of this thread was that Roy was heating up now and Vanek was "returning to last year's pace" (which is actually almost a PPG pace, so I don't know why that's a negative)

Roy = 8 points last 4 games, and the Leino/Roy/Stafford line has been buzzing during that time. What is that called then?

How is the injury an excuse? He's getting over five minutes more of icetime than he was at the start of the year.

Hell, go look up Vanek's stats since being on the same line with Pommers. He's been CONSISTENTLY GOOD since playing with him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-12-2011, 04:40 AM
I am actually laughing here, do you even watch hockey? Every player in the NHL does the same thing, even the players that are considered great. I think this is just *****ing for the point of *****ing.

Philagape
11-12-2011, 09:09 AM
They beat a division rival by four goals, they've won four in a row and have won twice as many games as they've lost. And they have two top-10 points scorers.

I mean, there's got to be something to complain about somewhere in there, right?

Skooby
11-12-2011, 09:36 AM
They beat a division rival by four goals, they've won four in a row and have won twice as many games as they've lost. And they have two top-10 points scorers.

I mean, there's got to be something to complain about somewhere in there, right?

Lol, 5 losses all hung on Miller?

CuseJetsFan83
11-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Lol, 5 losses all hung on Miller?

then ***** on miller's psyche or something, or the fact the team always seems to play harder when enroth's on the ice and lax when miller's there

10 wins before the end of november i'll take it......... 20 points is crucial especially if you set a target of 93-97 points being the low end of the playoff race

Dozerdog
11-12-2011, 02:02 PM
When Luke Adam gets sime mileage under him, he will be just great.

OP's gotta ***** about something -

CuseJetsFan83
11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
When Luke Adam gets sime mileage under him, he will be just great.

OP's gotta ***** about something -

for the lack of experience in the NHL i think adam is playing wonderfully, and should be expected for the "growing pains" type of games... i liked the energy tropp brought, and hopefully lindy seen that, just in case mr. kaleta makes any more bonehead decisions.

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 01:45 AM
So Op is ripping on Vanek who is one of the best players in the league so far this year??? AFTER a 5-1 win?

What a dumbass
First Vanek had a bad game and deserved to be called out for it, regardless of how he's played so far this year.

Second, as usual those who are wrong try to change the subject. The point here isnt to ***** about Vanek- it's a commentary on how our two best scorers are never hot at the same time. You can try to hide behind Vanek's 15 or so good games if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Vanek and Roy are both streaky and their streaks never line up.

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 01:48 AM

Yup, complaining about nothing. That's why we lost 6-2 tonight right?

Once again, no ability to see the larger picture.

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 01:49 AM
I am actually laughing here, do you even watch hockey? Every player in the NHL does the same thing, even the players that are considered great. I think this is just *****ing for the point of *****ing.
Cop out. "everyone else ****s up too" is not a reason or an excuse for ****ing up.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Cop out. "everyone else ****s up too" is not a reason or an excuse for ****ing up.

So what you are saying is the best players in this league score every night? They don't go into stretches where they don't score? I guess I am wrong then, I didn't realize the league had that many 80 goal scorers.

Philagape
11-13-2011, 07:47 AM

So nothing less than perfection is acceptable? No wonder ....................

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 09:49 AM
So what you are saying is the best players in this league score every night? They don't go into stretches where they don't score? I guess I am wrong then, I didn't realize the league had that many 80 goal scorers.

No, you are creating a false dichotomy.

It's not "score every night" or "be inconsistent."

The inconsistency that Roy and Vanek have shown over their careers is NOT me saying that they don't score every night. They go cold for LONG stretches, not just a few game here or there like true scorers do.

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 09:50 AM
So nothing less than perfection is acceptable? No wonder ....................

Yeah, look at the last 8 or 9 games the Sabres has played.... sure looks acceptable to me :rolleyes:

Philagape
11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, look at the last 8 or 9 games the Sabres has played.... sure looks acceptable to me :rolleyes:

They won four in a row before last night. They've done more right than wrong this year, but your commentary has not reflected it. You are you conspicuously quieter when they do well ... or, you just go further out of your way to find something wrong, which there always is because no team is perfect.

hydro
11-13-2011, 11:48 AM
You are really being unreasonable Opiv. It's sad actually how misguided you are.

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 01:29 PM
They won four in a row before last night. They've done more right than wrong this year, but your commentary has not reflected it. You are you conspicuously quieter when they do well ... or, you just go further out of your way to find something wrong, which there always is because no team is perfect.

And in 2 of those 4 wins, they only scored 2 goals in regulation, and in one of them they gave up the free point to a division rival. And in one of them they gave up 5 goals at home to a very mediocre Winnipeg team.

It may get the immediate job done, but it does not bode well for this season.

This is what you refuse to see because you look at each game in a vacuum. Flaws in the team were shown over the last 8 or 9 games, and they WILL come back to haunt us. But, you can dismiss it as me wanting perfection because that's easier than dealing with the reality of the flaws in this team, right?

OpIv37
11-13-2011, 01:30 PM
You are really being unreasonable Opiv. It's sad actually how misguided you are.

Lmao- see post above.

I'm saying what people don't want to hear. The unreasonable part is that no one wants to listen- you guys just want to dismiss it as me *****ing to ***** or demanding perfection.

But don't worry- reality will kick you in the nuts and prove me right, as it always does.

Skooby
11-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I watched Vanek make several bad passes, if you're not going to score just don't cause your team momentum.

Hockey is a little mix of emotion, talent, passion & skill. That's why guys who would get near killed in any other professional sport can play it. Don't stop the flow or momentum, Vanek making boneheaded passes infuriate me. It's almost like he's trying to be something he's not, like defensive.

TheGhostofJimKelly
11-14-2011, 05:40 AM
No, you are creating a false dichotomy.

It's not "score every night" or "be inconsistent."

The inconsistency that Roy and Vanek have shown over their careers is NOT me saying that they don't score every night. They go cold for LONG stretches, not just a few game here or there like true scorers do.

No, they play like most other players in the league. It is how it is through the entire league. Players are great for stretches, then they are cold. The players, if there are any, that are consistently good, are not available to you. I am talking Vanek here, I am certainly not going to defend Roy.

OpIv37
11-14-2011, 07:17 AM
No, they play like most other players in the league. It is how it is through the entire league. Players are great for stretches, then they are cold. The players, if there are any, that are consistently good, are not available to you. I am talking Vanek here, I am certainly not going to defend Roy.

I'll give you that Vanek has been consistently good so far THIS season. Yeah, he's had a bad game here or there, but like you said, no one scores every night in hockey.

However, over the course of his career, Vanek has gone cold for long stretches. Hopefully he's gotten over that and he'll be consistent for the entire season, but I won't believe it until I see it. The fact that perhaps his worst game cane during Roy's best is discouraging.

Sometimes I wonder if guys on this team take nights off when they see other guys playing well. Obviously, I'm not on the bench or in the locker room so I have no proof of this, but it would explain why Milller has had to pull so many wins out of his ass the last couple of seasons and why Vanek and Roy can never seem to get it going at the same time.