PDA

View Full Version : Four Reasons Edwards needs to go

YardRat
11-13-2011, 02:27 PM
The biggest reason, of course and generally speaking is the guy is just plain clueless about running an NFL defense...He's a Pop Warner coach in a professional world and he just isn't cutting it. However, more specifically...

1. Edwards has no idea how to design/disguise/dial-up an effective blitz scheme. Straight upfield rushing will not cut it against the vast majority of offensive lines in the NFL, and putting 7 or 8 guys on the line of scrimmage and playing 'guess who's coming' isn't going to be consistently effective above the college level.

2. He also has no idea how to set up and/or disguise coverages. Can anybody point out one time, one single instance, where the defense lined up in man and switched to zone, or vice-versa? If a QB reads man, you can bet it's man, or the same for zone. Again, lack of experience and ability. Part of the secondary's problem I'll admit is a lack of talent, but any coordinator worth a damn would be able to able to alleviate the talent gap at least a little bit.

3. Consistently trying to make round pegs fit into square holes, specifically at OLB. Carrington, Johnson and even Kelsay ARE NOT 34 olb's so quit trying to make them play a position that they obviously can't handle. Let Moats, Batten, etc play, and if none of the 'hybrids' are good enough to secure a spot in the regular rotation at DE, then cut them loose and get some real talent on the outside because these guys just can't handle it.

4. No idea how to gameplan, plain and simple. The defense sucked early on, but that was pretty much the norm around the league for the first month of the season as unheard of passing #'s were being put up and points being spotted in bunches because offenses were a few steps ahead of the D. Hell, even our own group of UDFA's looked unstoppable most of the time. But, as the season progressed through the second quarter of games, defenses started to catch up as coordinators started to gather film, tendencies etc against the opposing O and successfully implement gameplans designed to stop the strengths of the opponents. Other coordinators are getting into their groove, ours is being left behind in the dust.

This team has needs on both sides of the ball and could certainly use talent upgrades here and there, but the biggest move Nix and Gailey could make to immediately increase their chance to win games is to jettison Edwards (Wanny can go also as far as I'm concerned) and get an honest-to-the football gods 34 defensive coordinator in here.

PTI
11-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Bad coach. Just 2 years ago he was the Phins linebackers coach for 5 straight years, how in the world did they pick this guy?

Crisis
11-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Whoever let Dick LeBeau go pack to Pitt should be lynched. Should've gave him the key to the city to keep him coaching the defense.

Bangarang
11-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Appreciate you keeping it to only 4.

YardRat
11-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Appreciate you keeping it to only 4.

Feel free to add your own.

kingJofNYC
11-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I loved Spencer Johnson dropping into coverage on that slant, any capable OLB would've picked that off.

OLB situation says it all. I'd have Dareus/Heard/Carrington and one of Moats/Batten rushing from the outside. More of a 4-3 look, let the young guys play and **** Spencer Johnson.

Bangarang
11-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Feel free to add your own.

I think Wanny deserves as much blame as Edwards. Let's not be naive and think that he wasn't brought here to help our defense. Let's also not think like he doesn't have his hands in this defense.

This team needs a legitimate NFL defensive coordinator.

Night Train
11-13-2011, 03:23 PM
You only need one reason..

He doesn't know what he's doing.

YardRat
11-13-2011, 03:48 PM
I think Wanny deserves as much blame as Edwards. Let's not be naive and think that he wasn't brought here to help our defense. Let's also not think like he doesn't have his hands in this defense.

This team needs a legitimate NFL defensive coordinator.

I agree...didn't want the Stache here from the beginning, and haven't seen anything to change my mind. I still maintain we're just a paycheck from his buddy Gailey until he hooks on with another team.

Mr. Pink
11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Bring back Dick Jauron and his defenses.

Akhippo
11-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Id first fire the secondary coach. Does he even teach technique? I would have them watch Revis 24/7. They have the worst skills around.

Then I would fire Edwards. Our defense seems to get gashed at will now. Are the players trying to do to much? Are they put in bad position? Is the game plan written on a napkin on Fridays.. All it has is "Hope" and "Pray" on it.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
11-13-2011, 04:40 PM
coaches cant coach crap
the players are crap

jimmacie
11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Great post. I agree that Edwards is clueless. He must go NOW!

The offensive game planning hasn't been much better than the defensive plans the past 2 games and I blame Gailey for that. Too stereotyped. You have nothing to lose now. Try some reverses or trick plays or ANYTHING a little different. How many screen passes did they throw today that were stuffed immediately. "Stuff" that play.
Bills fans were starting to actually feel good about their tram again after so many discouraging years, but, after the last 2 games, I feel the same as I did for the past few years - depressed and embarrassed and wondering if we'll EVER return to greatness.

thenry20
11-14-2011, 01:59 AM
The biggest reason, of course and generally speaking is the guy is just plain clueless about running an NFL defense...He's a Pop Warner coach in a professional world and he just isn't cutting it. However, more specifically...

1. Edwards has no idea how to design/disguise/dial-up an effective blitz scheme. Straight upfield rushing will not cut it against the vast majority of offensive lines in the NFL, and putting 7 or 8 guys on the line of scrimmage and playing 'guess who's coming' isn't going to be consistently effective above the college level.

2. He also has no idea how to set up and/or disguise coverages. Can anybody point out one time, one single instance, where the defense lined up in man and switched to zone, or vice-versa? If a QB reads man, you can bet it's man, or the same for zone. Again, lack of experience and ability. Part of the secondary's problem I'll admit is a lack of talent, but any coordinator worth a damn would be able to able to alleviate the talent gap at least a little bit.

3. Consistently trying to make round pegs fit into square holes, specifically at OLB. Carrington, Johnson and even Kelsay ARE NOT 34 olb's so quit trying to make them play a position that they obviously can't handle. Let Moats, Batten, etc play, and if none of the 'hybrids' are good enough to secure a spot in the regular rotation at DE, then cut them loose and get some real talent on the outside because these guys just can't handle it.

4. No idea how to gameplan, plain and simple. The defense sucked early on, but that was pretty much the norm around the league for the first month of the season as unheard of passing #'s were being put up and points being spotted in bunches because offenses were a few steps ahead of the D. Hell, even our own group of UDFA's looked unstoppable most of the time. But, as the season progressed through the second quarter of games, defenses started to catch up as coordinators started to gather film, tendencies etc against the opposing O and successfully implement gameplans designed to stop the strengths of the opponents. Other coordinators are getting into their groove, ours is being left behind in the dust.

This team has needs on both sides of the ball and could certainly use talent upgrades here and there, but the biggest move Nix and Gailey could make to immediately increase their chance to win games is to jettison Edwards (Wanny can go also as far as I'm concerned) and get an honest-to-the football gods 34 defensive coordinator in here.

You only need 1. He's stubbornly implements a scheme knowing full well he lacks the personnel to execute it.

Until this years draft we didn't have a bonafide NT to help stop the run and right now we don't have OLB who can pressure the QB.

Cleve
11-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Bad coach. Just 2 years ago he was the Phins linebackers coach for 5 straight years, how in the world did they pick this guy?

Let me take a wild guess as to why we have him - he works for a lower salary than most other defensive coordinators in the league?

streetkings01
11-14-2011, 08:05 AM
No way Edwards can be brought back next season. No way Nix and Russ can sell this guy to the fan base............2 seasons of some of the most horrible schemed defense I've seen this decade. I'd take the 2002 Bills defense over this one.

ddaryl
11-14-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree.. when the entire D looks uninspired and lost you have to go to the common denominator.... and that is Edwards

better days
11-14-2011, 08:22 AM

I knew you would want him out of Cleveland. NO THANKS, you can keep him on the Browns.

Philagape
11-14-2011, 10:01 AM

I can't think of Jauron's defense without remembering the last Bills-Cowboys game ... two Dallas scores in 20 seconds, when everyone in the stadium except Dick knew what they were going to do