PDA

View Full Version : We spent $11 M to extend Fitz??

Skooby
11-13-2011, 02:47 PM
My wife tells me I'm premature but this has to be the Webster dictionary picture, DJ is vindicated.

sqad5
11-13-2011, 02:48 PM
yeah **** all this ****,we ****ing suck

BertSquirtgum
11-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Everyone told me I was crazy when I said it was an awful signing.

sqad5
11-13-2011, 03:05 PM
now we will never know if johnson is great,we have fitz throwing to him

kingJofNYC
11-13-2011, 03:06 PM
24m guaranteed, that's all they really owe him, I expect them to draft a QB in the first two rounds in the next couple of drafts.

Skooby
11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
24m guaranteed, that's all they really owe him, I expect them to draft a QB in the first two rounds in the next couple of drafts.

That should give us some grooming time if that's the case.

HendersonD06
11-13-2011, 03:31 PM
It was an awful signing... He sucks against good D's (see Jets) and he's never even played a playoff game. Chances are, he'd **** the bed come postseason play. He's a career jag, nothing more; nothing less.

BillsFever21
11-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Everyone told me I was crazy when I said it was an awful signing.
Too many people jump the gun after a few games. I was one who wanted to keep him around but I wanted them to wait the season out to see how him and the team finished.

It's not like he had a career profile to go from. He had some average play last year and a good first month this season. Instead of waiting to see how he would do over the course of a season they jumped the gun and overpaid for him.

It still would have been viable to re-sign him but not for 24 million guaranteed. With the way it has went since then he would have been worth 2/3 of that contract if that. It would have been more of a 4 year type deal for around 30 million and maybe 12-14 million guaranteed.

BillsFever21
11-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Oh is that it? On a team that runs with a limited budget. I'm glad we paid him 30-50 percent more then he would have been worth had they waited it out a little longer instead of jumping the gun like they did with Dick Jauron when we got off to a good start.

Akhippo
11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Who the hell was going to pay him more? Let him test the market. That would make his fourth or fifth team in his career. Thats franchise material?

I was not a fan of all the eggs in Fitz's basket. especially when the head coach says they are doing it with smoke and mirrors. WHAT?

Mr. Pink
11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Fitz seems complacent now that he's collected his big payday.

This sure isn't the same guy we saw a few weeks ago since he got his check.

It's Lee Evans all over again, a guy playing above his ability to get the big money and then just going through the motions.

Skooby
11-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Who the hell was going to pay him more? Let him test the market. That would make his fourth or fifth team in his career. Thats franchise material?

I was not a fan of all the eggs in Fitz's basket. especially when the head coach says they are doing it with smoke and mirrors. WHAT?

Testing the market after a full year = win Bills.

Testing the market after 1/2 year body of work = win Fitz.

Bottom line, Fitz won.

Michael82
11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I knew there was a reason why I didn't want to see him extended until after the season. :ill:

BillsFever21
11-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Fitz seems complacent now that he's collected his big payday.

This sure isn't the same guy we saw a few weeks ago since he got his check.

It's Lee Evans all over again, a guy playing above his ability to get the big money and then just going through the motions.

I think it's a combination of Fitz being complacent and a combination of the league just catching on to our simplistic offense. It's nothing but a short passing game and we can't or never stretch the field on a regular basis to back them up. The defenses are just playing us tight and short and giving them the 5 yard pass and tackling them instead of letting them get YAC like we did early in the season.

You could see it coming if you were looking at the team through a realistic point of view the first month of the season. Especially after he started to cool off after the first few weeks. Even so they still didn't wait it out a little longer and caved in and gave him big money based off of three games.

Even if he would've exceled for most of the season he still wouldn't have gotten anymore money then he already did. The Bills screwed the pooch. Also no team from the outside probably would've given it to him and the Bills were the best fit for him to get the money.

Many of us kept saying the Bills need to wait longer but they jumped the gun once again. Now we have a QB we owe at least 24 million too and still need to look for a QB of the future. He can win you games if you have a decent defense but he's not going to carry the team on his back. He's an average QB that can excel in the right situation and certain games but that's it. We paid him more money then that's worth.

jimmacie
11-13-2011, 04:46 PM
We've done this so many times - when will they learn?

Kelsay - Big payday - now sucks or is injured
Kyle Williams - Big Payday - now injured
Lee Evans - Big Payday - big drop in effectiveness plus injury
Fitz - Big payday - now simply mediocre

I hope they don't jump the gun with Stevie Johnson - He sure has looked ordinary the past few games. If anyone deserves a better contract, it is Fred Jackson and he is the one who will probably NOT get it.

It makes you wonder about our front office leadership(?).

BillsFever21
11-13-2011, 05:56 PM
We've done this so many times - when will they learn?

Kelsay - Big payday - now sucks or is injured
Kyle Williams - Big Payday - now injured
Lee Evans - Big Payday - big drop in effectiveness plus injury
Fitz - Big payday - now simply mediocre

I hope they don't jump the gun with Stevie Johnson - He sure has looked ordinary the past few games. If anyone deserves a better contract, it is Fred Jackson and he is the one who will probably NOT get it.

It makes you wonder about our front office leadership(?).

I would re-sign Stevie Johnson but only for #2 WR money. He might be our #1 WR but he wouldn't be a #1 on many other teams. He would make a great #2 WR but that's it. He's a possession type WR and doesn't give you much YAC.

If he wants to break the bank then franchise him for one season and see what happens or let him walk. He isn't worth 9+ million a year give or take like an ordinary #1 WR commands. He would be worth top money for a #2 WR for around 6-7 million a year but that is the furthest I would go unless there wasn't much guaranteed money involved.

Skooby
11-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I would re-sign Stevie Johnson but only for #2 WR money. He might be our #1 WR but he wouldn't be a #1 on many other teams. He would make a great #2 WR but that's it. He's a possession type WR and doesn't give you much YAC.

If he wants to break the bank then franchise him for one season and see what happens or let him walk. He isn't worth 9+ million a year give or take like an ordinary #1 WR commands. He would be worth top money for a #2 WR for around 6-7 million a year but that is the furthest I would go unless there wasn't much guaranteed money involved.

I wouldn't pay anyone except FJ. I'm even having doubts about how much to pay him, based on how many needs we currently have.

BillsFever21
11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't pay anyone except FJ. I'm even having doubts about how much to pay him, based on how many needs we currently have.
I'm in agreement that Jackson deserves a new contract the way he has played not just this season but the past 2 or 3 seasons. I have doubts though about whether it's smart to give him one seeing that he will be 31 years old going into next season.

There is no rush to extend Jackson's contract. Lets see how next season plays out. He's getting to the age now where RB's go downhill and can go downhill fast. If he is still producing next season at the same level it may be worth a short-term contract extension but that's it. After next season now you will be talking about giving a 32 year old RB a long-term deal.

He deserves the money but as of right now it doesn't make sense to guarantee him a boat load of money. If all else fails and he was still worth it after next season and you couldn't come to a reasonable contract agreement then you can always just franchise him for another season. After that you would be looking at a 33 year old RB and we all know how well 33 year old RB's usually perform. They usually don't perform very well after that age that's why you can name the ones that have on one hand and they were all-time greats. Plus after 33 it's not going to get any better.

Our best bet with Jackson is to stay at the status quo unless he's willing to accept a one or two year contract extension beyond next year at reasonable money. If he wanted more years then that or Chris Johnson type of money then you let him walk.

Face it this team is still far away from a playoff team let alone playoff contenders. A 31 year old RB going into next season doesn't fit into our long-term plans if we had to break the bank.

I feel bad for him. He's definitely outplayed his contract and deserves more money but when you are talking a long-term deal you have to pay a player on what his future value is probably worth and not his past value is.

I'm all for throwing him a bone for his leadership, commitment and production the past few years and give him a one or two year extension for decent money out of respect. It may be in his best interests to also take it.

I'm sure he would want more money but a 31 year old RB going into next year and 32 when his contract is up isn't going to command much money and anything can happen to a RB at that age. It may be wise for him to get some money now even if it's less then he wants then waiting it out and maybe ending up with less then that or hardly anything if something happens. The timing of his breakout just wasn't right for him. Take some money while you have the chance before you end up holding the empty bag as a 32 year old RB.

Syderick
11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm in agreement that Jackson deserves a new contract the way he has played not just this season but the past 2 or 3 seasons. I have doubts though about whether it's smart to give him one seeing that he will be 31 years old going into next season.

There is no rush to extend Jackson's contract. Lets see how next season plays out. He's getting to the age now where RB's go downhill and can go downhill fast. If he is still producing next season at the same level it may be worth a short-term contract extension but that's it. After next season now you will be talking about giving a 32 year old RB a long-term deal.

He deserves the money but as of right now it doesn't make sense to guarantee him a boat load of money. If all else fails and he was still worth it after next season and you couldn't come to a reasonable contract agreement then you can always just franchise him for another season. After that you would be looking at a 33 year old RB and we all know how well 33 year old RB's usually perform. They usually don't perform very well after that age that's why you can name the ones that have on one hand and they were all-time greats. Plus after 33 it's not going to get any better.

Our best bet with Jackson is to stay at the status quo unless he's willing to accept a one or two year contract extension beyond next year at reasonable money. If he wanted more years then that or Chris Johnson type of money then you let him walk.

Face it this team is still far away from a playoff team let alone playoff contenders. A 31 year old RB going into next season doesn't fit into our long-term plans if we had to break the bank.

I feel bad for him. He's definitely outplayed his contract and deserves more money but when you are talking a long-term deal you have to pay a player on what his future value is probably worth and not his past value is.

I'm all for throwing him a bone for his leadership, commitment and production the past few years and give him a one or two year extension for decent money out of respect. It may be in his best interests to also take it.

I'm sure he would want more money but a 31 year old RB going into next year and 32 when his contract is up isn't going to command much money and anything can happen to a RB at that age. It may be wise for him to get some money now even if it's less then he wants then waiting it out and maybe ending up with less then that or hardly anything if something happens. The timing of his breakout just wasn't right for him. Take some money while you have the chance before you end up holding the empty bag as a 32 year old RB.

Marcus Allen, John Riggins and Emmith Smith could do it

BillsFever21
11-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Marcus Allen, John Riggins and Emmith Smith could do it
Exactly. You can only name a small amount off the top of your head. That's why I said you can name the very few that did on one hand or so and they were some of the All-Time greats.

Unless you think Jackson is one of the All-Time greats or can be one of those who play good on the wrong side of 30 then chances are he won't.

I'm to young to remember how Allen and Riggins played compared to their prime years but even though Smith still played he wasn't the same player at that point as he was in his prime. He eventually went to Arizona and faded away as a role player for his last few seasons. He wasn't a dominant back anymore. Steady but not an every down dominant RB like he was.

Sure some can still be useful that old but they don't play at the same level as their prime and are usually not every down players anymore and take on a rotation role with somebody else.

For ever good RB that played good even after 30 or so let alone 32+ years old you can name about 100 that faded away when they reached that age. Most don't even put up the same production after 30. Jackson is playing his best at this age because he wasn't used much early in his career. Either way age will catch up with him and when age does catch up to RB's it usually happens fast.

Syderick
11-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Exactly. You can only name a small amount off the top of your head. That's why I said you can name the very few that did on one hand or so and they were some of the All-Time greats.

Unless you think Jackson is one of the All-Time greats or can be one of those who play good on the wrong side of 30 then chances are he won't.

I'm to young to remember how Allen and Riggins played compared to their prime years but even though Smith still played he wasn't the same player at that point as he was in his prime. He eventually went to Arizona and faded away as a role player for his last few seasons. He wasn't a dominant back anymore. Steady but not an every down dominant RB like he was.

Sure some can still be useful that old but they don't play at the same level as their prime and are usually not every down players anymore and take on a rotation role with somebody else.

For ever good RB that played good even after 30 or so let alone 32+ years old you can name about 100 that faded away when they reached that age. Most don't even put up the same production after 30. Jackson is playing his best at this age because he wasn't used much early in his career. Either way age will catch up with him and when age does catch up to RB's it usually happens fast.

Yea but he's started his career later on. He hasn't taken on as many hits as most Rbs do. Age is just a number, and who knows he may keep up the high level of play for awhile.

They'll probably extend Steve and then just restructure Fred's contract.