"Hey Rex, Belichick is better" .. Rex: "Shut the F __ up!" .. NFL: "That may cost you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

"Hey Rex, Belichick is better" .. Rex: "Shut the F __ up!" .. NFL: "That may cost you

Remember, Rex was also fined 50K by Jets for simply flipping the bird at a fan at an MMA event last year.

Here's the vid of the incident:

Here's the story:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan's mouth strikes again.

The NFL confirmed it is investigating the New York Jets' coach for cursing at a fan during the team's 37-16 loss Sunday against the New England Patriots.

It was initially reported that the video of the incident, which is making the rounds of the Internet, was filmed after the game, but Ryan acknowledged Monday that it happened at halftime.

"Quite honestly, my emotions got the best of me," Ryan told "The Michael Kay Show" on 1050 ESPN.

With first place on the line, the Pats beat up on the Jets.

"Hey, Rex, Belichick is better than you," the fan screamed to Ryan, who was walking off the field and into the locker room tunnel with the rest of the team.

"Shut the **** up," Ryan yelled back.

Ryan could be subject to a fine by the league or the Jets.

"We'll take a look at it but don't want to speculate on any outcome," a league spokesman said.

In January 2009, Ryan was fined $50,000 by the Jets for making an obscene gesture toward a fan at a martial arts event in the Miami area. That incident was caught on a cell-phone camera.

On Sunday night, Ryan's temper flared on at least two occasions. Late in the second quarter, he was livid when quarterback Mark Sanchez called a timeout with at least 17 seconds remaining on the play clock before a third-down play at the Patriots' 2-yard line. The clock-management gaffe proved costly, as Tom Brady rallied the Patriots to a go-ahead touchdown in the final seconds.

Ryan later told NBC sideline reporter Michele Tafoya at halftime that the timeout was "the stupidest thing in football history." He told 1050 ESPN that he was still fuming over the timeout when he yelled at the fan.

Ryan's counterpart, Bill Belichick, also reportedly used profanity after the game. According to the New York Post, he told his son during the postgame celebration: "Thirty-seven points on the best defense in the league" and then used a vulgarity.

The league won't investigate that because it was in a private conversation, the spokesman said.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Re: "Hey Rex, Belichick is better" .. Rex: "Shut the F __ up!" .. NFL: "That may cost you

By the way, I bet this stuff happened all the time before cell phone cameras and instant uploads, YouTube, etc.

We just didn't know or have to hear about it.
    Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• Mski
      • Mar 2006

Re: "Hey Rex, Belichick is better" .. Rex: "Shut the F __ up!" .. NFL: "That may cost you

Originally posted by Coach Sal
      By the way, I bet this stuff happened all the time before cell phone cameras and instant uploads, YouTube, etc.

We just didn't know or have to hear about it.
      i can tell you the camera guys on the sidelines, wether it be NFL or network guys would have known about this happening as long as there has been onfield audio. the difference is the fans having the ability to see and record it
      RIP Tommy D!
      12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

I dont see what the big deal is but maybe that's just me.

Plus I really dislike Rich Cimini because of a hack job he did last April.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

While I personally am not offended or care I would not want such comments to be in earshot of a child. If no child was around then no big deal.

Comment

• Coach Sal
            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy
            I dont see what the big deal is but maybe that's just me.

Plus I really dislike Rich Cimini because of a hack job he did last April.
            I debated posting it for this reason. It's not really a big deal to most people.

But the fact that the NFL is looking into it and may fine him for it makes it a newsworthy item of discussion, IMO.

Plus, it's Rex Ryan. A wet dream of a coach for the media and fans who love or hate the Jets.
            Click to listen:

Comment

• kingJofNYC
              • Sep 2009

HAHAHAHA

Comment

• Mski
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by don137
                While I personally am not offended or care I would not want such comments to be in earshot of a child. If no child was around then no big deal.
                have you ever been in seats close enough to actually hear what goes on, on the field.... vulgarity is used frequently, and loudly... and anyone who was close enough for Rex to react to while walking down the tunnel whould have been close enough to hear what was on the field.... i guess im saying this should be a non story no matter the age of the fans nearby
                RIP Tommy D!
                12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

I distinctly remember hearing a player (Plaxico Burress?) last night, after an incomplete pass that drew no flag for interference yelling at a referee "That's Bull****!" I wonder if the league will look into that and fine him as well. After all, that was heard over NBC airwaves... Ryan's was from a cell phone cam that found it's way onto youtube.

Like Coach said, I bet this sort of thing happens all the time... It's just nowadays, with so many cameras and microphones, things are easier to pick up.

I'm not a Rex Ryan fan, but I've seen more than a few clips of Marv Levy (among other coaches who you wouldn't really expect it from) using profanity during games that is broadcast time and again by NFL Films. I don't think he was ever fined for any incidents...

I guess because a camera without the NFL or NBC logo on it recorded the incident and, because of that, they can't really play it on the airwaves ad nauseum, they don't like it and might fine Ryan. Meanwhile, the Lions and 49ers coaches can damn near go at it, get their clip aired 45,000 times and not get a fine.

-Bill
                  Last edited by BLeonard; 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Haha, #68 with the high-five fail.

Comment

• Oaf
                      Do you read what you write?
                      • Jun 2007

I'll bet Belichick video tapes fans and then curses them overnight in his living room.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

but two coaches almost fighting at midfield isn't worth fining. unbelievable

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Coach Sal
                          I debated posting it for this reason. It's not really a big deal to most people.

But the fact that the NFL is looking into it and may fine him for it makes it a newsworthy item of discussion, IMO.

Plus, it's Rex Ryan. A wet dream of a coach for the media and fans who love or hate the Jets.
                          Completely agreed and while for me it registers very little its certainly discussion worthy.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BLeonard
                            I distinctly remember hearing a player (Plaxico Burress?) last night, after an incomplete pass that drew no flag for interference yelling at a referee "That's Bull****!" I wonder if the league will look into that and fine him as well. After all, that was heard over NBC airwaves... Ryan's was from a cell phone cam that found it's way onto youtube.

Like Coach said, I bet this sort of thing happens all the time... It's just nowadays, with so many cameras and microphones, things are easier to pick up.

I'm not a Rex Ryan fan, but I've seen more than a few clips of Marv Levy (among other coaches who you wouldn't really expect it from) using profanity during games that is broadcast time and again by NFL Films. I don't think he was ever fined for any incidents...

I guess because a camera without the NFL or NBC logo on it recorded the incident and, because of that, they can't really play it on the airwaves ad nauseum, they don't like it and might fine Ryan. Meanwhile, the Lions and 49ers coaches can damn near go at it, get their clip aired 45,000 times and not get a fine.

-Bill
                            Why would the NFL look into that?
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• BLeonard
                              BoB Sabermetrician
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                              Why would the NFL look into that?
                              The same reason they would look into someone's cell phone video that got put on youtube...

Personally, I'd think a broadcast camera catching profanity would be a bigger deal than somebody's cell phone video getting put on youtube would. After all, anything caught on a broadcast camera is beamed out to millions of homes... A youtube video, not so much.

-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X