PDA

View Full Version : "Hey Rex, Belichick is better" .. Rex: "Shut the F __ up!" .. NFL: "That may cost you

Coach Sal
11-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Remember, Rex was also fined 50K by Jets for simply flipping the bird at a fan at an MMA event last year.

Here's the vid of the incident:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eWS_PUBzv4Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's the story:

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan's mouth strikes again.

The NFL confirmed it is investigating the New York Jets' coach for cursing at a fan during the team's 37-16 loss Sunday against the New England Patriots.

It was initially reported that the video of the incident, which is making the rounds of the Internet, was filmed after the game, but Ryan acknowledged Monday that it happened at halftime.

"Quite honestly, my emotions got the best of me," Ryan told "The Michael Kay Show" on 1050 ESPN.

With first place on the line, the Pats beat up on the Jets.

"Hey, Rex, Belichick is better than you," the fan screamed to Ryan, who was walking off the field and into the locker room tunnel with the rest of the team.

"Shut the ******* up," Ryan yelled back.

Ryan could be subject to a fine by the league or the Jets.

"We'll take a look at it but don't want to speculate on any outcome," a league spokesman said.

In January 2009, Ryan was fined $50,000 by the Jets for making an obscene gesture toward a fan at a martial arts event in the Miami area. That incident was caught on a cell-phone camera.

On Sunday night, Ryan's temper flared on at least two occasions. Late in the second quarter, he was livid when quarterback Mark Sanchez called a timeout with at least 17 seconds remaining on the play clock before a third-down play at the Patriots' 2-yard line. The clock-management gaffe proved costly, as Tom Brady rallied the Patriots to a go-ahead touchdown in the final seconds.

Ryan later told NBC sideline reporter Michele Tafoya at halftime that the timeout was "the stupidest thing in football history." He told 1050 ESPN that he was still fuming over the timeout when he yelled at the fan.

Ryan's counterpart, Bill Belichick, also reportedly used profanity after the game. According to the New York Post, he told his son during the postgame celebration: "Thirty-seven points on the best defense in the league" and then used a vulgarity.

The league won't investigate that because it was in a private conversation, the spokesman said.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7234366/nfl-looks-rex-ryan-words-fan-new-york-jets-fall

Coach Sal
11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
By the way, I bet this stuff happened all the time before cell phone cameras and instant uploads, YouTube, etc.

We just didn't know or have to hear about it.

Mski
11-14-2011, 03:54 PM
By the way, I bet this stuff happened all the time before cell phone cameras and instant uploads, YouTube, etc.

We just didn't know or have to hear about it.i can tell you the camera guys on the sidelines, wether it be NFL or network guys would have known about this happening as long as there has been onfield audio. the difference is the fans having the ability to see and record it

DraftBoy
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I dont see what the big deal is but maybe that's just me.

Plus I really dislike Rich Cimini because of a hack job he did last April.

don137
11-14-2011, 04:00 PM
While I personally am not offended or care I would not want such comments to be in earshot of a child. If no child was around then no big deal.

Coach Sal
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I dont see what the big deal is but maybe that's just me.

Plus I really dislike Rich Cimini because of a hack job he did last April.

I debated posting it for this reason. It's not really a big deal to most people.

But the fact that the NFL is looking into it and may fine him for it makes it a newsworthy item of discussion, IMO.

Plus, it's Rex Ryan. A wet dream of a coach for the media and fans who love or hate the Jets.

kingJofNYC
11-14-2011, 04:03 PM
HAHAHAHA

Mski
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
While I personally am not offended or care I would not want such comments to be in earshot of a child. If no child was around then no big deal.have you ever been in seats close enough to actually hear what goes on, on the field.... vulgarity is used frequently, and loudly... and anyone who was close enough for Rex to react to while walking down the tunnel whould have been close enough to hear what was on the field.... i guess im saying this should be a non story no matter the age of the fans nearby

BLeonard
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
I distinctly remember hearing a player (Plaxico Burress?) last night, after an incomplete pass that drew no flag for interference yelling at a referee "That's Bull****!" I wonder if the league will look into that and fine him as well. After all, that was heard over NBC airwaves... Ryan's was from a cell phone cam that found it's way onto youtube.

Like Coach said, I bet this sort of thing happens all the time... It's just nowadays, with so many cameras and microphones, things are easier to pick up.

I'm not a Rex Ryan fan, but I've seen more than a few clips of Marv Levy (among other coaches who you wouldn't really expect it from) using profanity during games that is broadcast time and again by NFL Films. I don't think he was ever fined for any incidents...

I guess because a camera without the NFL or NBC logo on it recorded the incident and, because of that, they can't really play it on the airwaves ad nauseum, they don't like it and might fine Ryan. Meanwhile, the Lions and 49ers coaches can damn near go at it, get their clip aired 45,000 times and not get a fine.

-Bill

Oaf
11-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Haha, #68 with the high-five fail.

Oaf
11-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I'll bet Belichick video tapes fans and then curses them overnight in his living room.

trapezeus
11-14-2011, 04:55 PM
but two coaches almost fighting at midfield isn't worth fining. unbelievable

DraftBoy
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
I debated posting it for this reason. It's not really a big deal to most people.

But the fact that the NFL is looking into it and may fine him for it makes it a newsworthy item of discussion, IMO.

Plus, it's Rex Ryan. A wet dream of a coach for the media and fans who love or hate the Jets.

Completely agreed and while for me it registers very little its certainly discussion worthy.

DraftBoy
11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
I distinctly remember hearing a player (Plaxico Burress?) last night, after an incomplete pass that drew no flag for interference yelling at a referee "That's Bull****!" I wonder if the league will look into that and fine him as well. After all, that was heard over NBC airwaves... Ryan's was from a cell phone cam that found it's way onto youtube.

Like Coach said, I bet this sort of thing happens all the time... It's just nowadays, with so many cameras and microphones, things are easier to pick up.

I'm not a Rex Ryan fan, but I've seen more than a few clips of Marv Levy (among other coaches who you wouldn't really expect it from) using profanity during games that is broadcast time and again by NFL Films. I don't think he was ever fined for any incidents...

I guess because a camera without the NFL or NBC logo on it recorded the incident and, because of that, they can't really play it on the airwaves ad nauseum, they don't like it and might fine Ryan. Meanwhile, the Lions and 49ers coaches can damn near go at it, get their clip aired 45,000 times and not get a fine.

-Bill

Why would the NFL look into that?

BLeonard
11-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Why would the NFL look into that?

The same reason they would look into someone's cell phone video that got put on youtube...

Personally, I'd think a broadcast camera catching profanity would be a bigger deal than somebody's cell phone video getting put on youtube would. After all, anything caught on a broadcast camera is beamed out to millions of homes... A youtube video, not so much.

-Bill

Ickybaluky
11-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I have to admit I kind of like Rex. I think he is a pretty good coach, too.

Personally, I think he did the right thing. Anyone who would yell at him like that is obviously a douche and should be told to STFU.

DraftBoy
11-14-2011, 06:43 PM
The same reason they would look into someone's cell phone video that got put on youtube...

Personally, I'd think a broadcast camera catching profanity would be a bigger deal than somebody's cell phone video getting put on youtube would. After all, anything caught on a broadcast camera is beamed out to millions of homes... A youtube video, not so much.

-Bill

Has nothing to do with youtube v. network camera.

Has to do with Burress yelling at a fellow NFL employee and Rex yelling at a ticket buying fan.

Mike
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
While I personally am not offended or care I would not want such comments to be in earshot of a child. If no child was around then no big deal.

Are these words really that bad? Will it ruin a child in any way shape or form? I don't think so. Most kids learn these words anyway at a young age and share them with each other.

This is really all about the parents, and the parents don't want to be embarrassed when other parents hear their child using those words.

Mr. Miyagi
11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
He'll probably get fined but it's stupid.

I don't like Rex myself but I would've told the same moron to shut the **** up too.

Big deal.

RoscoeMagic
11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Well...Belichick is better :scratch:

OpIv37
11-14-2011, 09:33 PM
this is all so stupid.

They're football coaches. They're supposed to be angry, vulgar and intense. We want them to be emotional and intense leaders, but then people get their panties in a bunch if they're actually witnessed doing it. It's ridiculous.

I hate both Rex and Bellicheck but all they are doing is showing the intensity of football coaches. Some people won't care and other people will think it makes them jackasses, and in reality it doesn't matter either way.

BertSquirtgum
11-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I despise Rex but if he gets fined for that then Roger Goodell needs to be knocked off his high horse.

Coach Sal
11-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Remember Papa Ryan? There were a lot of times I wanted to punch Kevin Gilbride a few years ago, too:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bPK3cDl7Ftw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Billz_fan
11-14-2011, 11:18 PM
I gotta say that vid of Rex cracks me up as it did the fans in the stands. Funny stuff there :laughter:

Michael82
11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm not surprised. Rex Ryan is such a ****ing douchebag! :ill:

trapezeus
11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
i like rex more than belichick. belichick never gets over the games. he's not what society should celebrate in successful people. Rex on teh other hand is clearly intense during the game and much easier going during the week and cracking jokes and enjoying the circus.

Belichick, for all his success, is just a miserable bastard. Rex at least enjoys himself and tries to make it fun for everyone else.

Mr. Miyagi
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm not surprised. Rex Ryan is such a ****ing douchebag! :ill:
Telling some classless douchebag to shut the **** up isn't douchy at all. I see no problem with that.

DraftBoy
11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
The issue to me (and one that rarely gets brought up enough) is that for some reason some fans think that buying a ticket is a license to be an ******* and say whatever you want without reprisal.

better days
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
The issue to me (and one that rarely gets brought up enough) is that for some reason some fans think that buying a ticket is a license to be an ******* and say whatever you want without reprisal.

If it is me, I expect to say whatever I want, but I have no problem with something being said back to me in return.

DraftBoy
11-15-2011, 11:39 AM
If it is me, I expect to say whatever I want, but I have no problem with something being said back to me in return.

Well that's part of the problem. Im sorry but I dont believe you paying for admission gives you the right to say anything you want.

Bill Cody
11-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Well that's part of the problem. Im sorry but I dont believe you paying for admission gives you the right to say anything you want.

Not anything. But what did he say that was so bad? He wanted to get a rise out of Rex. And he succeeded. I'm sure he was LHAO.

CuseJetsFan83
11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
it gets even better... lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/14/rex-ryan-curses-bill-belichick-jets-patriots-nfl_n_1093172.html

Before Patriots fans begin to lampoon Rex for his foul language, they should take a look at a report from Monday morning's New York Post, detailing some of Belichick's salty postgame banter. Brian Costello of the Post quotes Belichick (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/belichick_mocks_NttHuMbgQETsHT03ogwp3J) as saying, “Thirty-seven points on the best defense in the league, s--- my d---,” during the Pat's celebration.

Tiburon1724
11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Fans are the customers. If I told a customer to shut the eff up, I'd lose my job. That is all.

Extremebillsfan247
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Rex is a professional, he should know better. That's why he deserves to be fined. JMO

CuseJetsFan83
11-17-2011, 04:24 AM
Rex is a professional, he should know better. That's why he deserves to be fined. JMO

then schwartz/harbaugh should have had the same thing done to them... becuase i am sure it wasn't just a convo about how their families were doing

better days
11-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Well, this is America. Everyone has a right to express himself without being censored. Rex certainly does.

better days
11-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Fans are the customers. If I told a customer to shut the eff up, I'd lose my job. That is all.

Well, if you were the BOSS like Rex is, the only person that could fire you is the owner. If the owner likes you & values you as his head man, he will not fire you.

Coach Sal
11-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Just an update.

Rex was fined 75K by the league for this today.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33439222

BLeonard
11-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Just an update.

Rex was fined 75K by the league for this today.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33439222

Does that go into the NFL's "swear jar?"

-Bill